The BREXIT Discussion Thread.

Comments

Still a democratic vote he won and he gets to say stuff for the same reason Farage does because both work for and get paid by the EU.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Isn't Democracy wonderful, people vote for something, and get it with no fuss or arguments.
    Just like a referendum, no calls for a second one .... Simply a smooth transition .... To
    Uphold the will of the people.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    barryt007 wrote: »
    I hear Juncker says Britain will regret leaving real soon. Sounds like an abusive husband threatening his wife for leaving him.

He has been saying that for ages...seems to have a real problem with it.
    He's probably worried that the EU will collapse in on itself once Britain goes.

Wishful thinking on your part and the general Brexiteers. Europe will continue without team GB, if they will want to trade in Europe they will have to come up with the EU wishes if not good luck to you and your economic windfall.

We will see...i must admit @SaintMark ,from your last few comments,you seem very anti-GB...which is fine ,as most of the world is.

Thats why we always prove them wrong.
    Isn't Democracy wonderful, people vote for something, and get it with no fuss or arguments.
    Just like a referendum, no calls for a second one .... Simply a smooth transition .... To

Exactly...and the EU moan as usual ,as they slowly implode.
    Will be interesting to see how the German General Election will turn out?
    I hear Juncker says Britain will regret leaving real soon. Sounds like an abusive husband threatening his wife for leaving him.

He has been saying that for ages...seems to have a real problem with it.
    He's probably worried that the EU will collapse in on itself once Britain goes.

Wishful thinking on your part and the general Brexiteers. Europe will continue without team GB, if they will want to trade in Europe they will have to come up with the EU wishes if not good luck to you and your economic windfall.

We will see...i must admit @SaintMark ,from your last few comments,you seem very anti-GB...which is fine ,as most of the world is.

Thats why we always prove them wrong.

Not anti-GB at all but I personally think that the Brexit idea has not been really thought through and now it turns out that the British Parliament has not really come up with a GOOD exit strategy only a wishlist that shows the good things from the EU as a preference and no EU influence on decisions by team GB. Which in my personal opinion seems a serious lack of realism in the world of economics.

I do not mind any anti EU sentiment but do dislike the comparisons with Nazi Germany, as there is nothing like fascism in the current EU. And I am generally amused about the constant moaning about the democratic value of the EU which is frankly ridiculous if you know anything about the workings of the EU. And yes like any government there are civil servants around but they have always been a necessary evil in any form of government.

GB leaving the EU, I do not mind. I am not sure that the average Joe or Jane in the UK will really find a better level of government or economic prosperity alone. Like I said I find the exit strategy as thought out by the UK government poor and ill informed.
    As for an imploding EU, wishing so does not mean it will happen. The populist wave that would destroy the EU has not happened even if it was so foretold by Fox and his papers.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    It makes Gustav happy. It reminds him of Star Trek:
    patternsofforce0447.jpg

For a moment I thought you had gotten your hands on Paul Hollywood's photo album!
    As for an imploding EU, wishing so does not mean it will happen. The populist wave that would destroy the EU has not happened even if it was so foretold by Fox and his papers.

Im not wishing...im saying it is a 'fear' while Spain,Greece and Italy need period bail-outs...
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 11,425

Exactly...and the EU moan as usual ,as they slowly implode.

The rightwing press have been predicting the EU would implode for decades. Remember all those ranting headlines about Grexit and the end of the Euro and EU a couple of years ago? The world is still waiting. The only major EU country showing serious signs of political stress right now is the UK. Prior to the referendum fastest growing economy in the G7 and firing on all cylinders. Now slowest growth in the G7 and a global laughing stock.

Still, as long you believe we're sticking it to Johnny Foreigner that's all that matters.

I have to say I have been starting to wish we could just return to the previous status quo such is the ineptitude of our politicians and given the whole thing is such a monumental clusterfrig (yes I know that sounds ridiculous - dont blame me, blame the mods as I'm one F word from a ban so am not allowed to talk like an adult in case a 5 year old is reading a thread about Brexit!) but the moment this utter non entity of a man pipes up I am reminded exactly why I voted Brexit in the first place.

Bear in mind this is a bloke whose only elected office was PM of Luxembourg, an election he won with 36% of a 224,000 votes so only 80,640 people have ever voted for him.
    Lets just put that into perspective - the guy gobbing off at us has only been voted for by slightly more than 24 times the population of Hemsby.

Sad that people like you voted to leave on the basis of your dislike for Juncker, an unpleasant individual who will soon have moved on (not before time).

Major constitutional change shouldn't be based on dislike of personalities.

Unfortunately that is all British political debate focuses on these days. The media feed us a diet of dumbed down trivia and prejudice.

Britain's real long term interests and challenges are barely discussed.
    Then aren't we lucky to have intellectuals like yourself, to point it out to us. Honestly if the
    British nation is so thick and stupud ( as remainers always tell us ) why is the EU making it
    so difficult for us to leave ! :-D
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,448
    See? This was always my primary concern right from the get-go. Many here (and out there) seemed to think that once Brexit was a fact, the UK would become an economical paradise practically overnight (i.e. have several concrete aims and decisions ready for the nearby future). But this entire political mess called the EU is such that to get even a stamp on a letter, one must fence off one bureaucratic procedure after another.

In principle, a united Europe sounds great to me. But in execution, the current version stinks like a dead pig. Europe has weakened itself by allowing risky nations to apply for membership. Like the Roman Empire, it hasn't set up its border defences very well. So while I never supported Brexit, I had at least hoped it could teach the rest of Europe an interesting lesson. If the UK wants out, let it happen and let it happen fast. Then we can observe. If the UK benefits from Brexit, Europe should learn from that. If it doesn't, it can join the EU again and this was nothing but a failed experiment. But now everything appears to be in a total deadlock. Neither Britain nor the EU has anything to gain by this impasse.

The people have spoken, albeit with only a small majority, but they have spoken! And once again the politicians, on both sides, are standing in the way of doing what the people want. Democracy? Anything but. Bureaucracy? Yes. As always.

So while I'm not British myself, allow me to say that I share the frustration of many here. Also, how can one be anti-UK or anti-GB? I have worked with English, Welsh and Scottish people in my previous job, and I have visited the UK very often. All I can say is: greater people than the British I have yet to find.

@TheWizardOfIce
    Of course, my good friend, we can't just drop F-bombs. Surely you and I enjoy to search for more creative ways to express our disgust, irritation and anger, rather than to merely go 'F' and 'S' like some over-aged hipsters. Besides, since you and I are both destined to end up in Hell together, we'll have plenty of time to swear all we want over there, over a pot of hot chilli peppers and right before we have orgies that last a thousand years. ;-)
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/sep/18/welsh-pantomime-1997-devolution-better-government
    Wales celebrates having their own devolved government. Also voted through on a very small majority. Yet it was accepted as a valid result. Seems odd how some people want to pick and choose . What's a valid vote and what's not.
    If the leader of any country has the will to do something that is within their remit, they will do it. We all know that May thought that leaving was a bad idea.

She seems to want to drag the whole process out and have many of the advantages of memeberhsip whilst, at the same ntime, saying that we are leaving. It is a quiek and fault of our "democratic" party system that we have a leader who was on the remain side. If we are going to come out, we need to have a PM who actually believes in it.
    Only a few carpet-chewing loons in the Tory Party think leaving is a good idea. Most MPs of all parties are utterly depressed as they witness the government destroying Britain's future.

The UK is basically undergoing a constitutional coup. And don't peddle me some 'democracy' line about the referendum - the leave campaign was a pack of lies. Sad thing is people are so deluded they still want to believe Boris's claptrap about £350m a week for the NHS.

Even relatively intelligent people like @TheWizardOfIce admit they only voted leave to 'stick it' to some imagined bogie men in Brussels - he doesn't actually believe leaving will usher in the promised land.

Boris's Telegraph article revealed how deranged the leavers really are. Pointing to France and Germany as examples we need to follow - somehow ignoring the fact that they're in the EU and don't seem to suffer from the imagined restrictions membership allegedly imposes on the UK.

Bonkers, wrong, stupid.

Viewed internally and externally the UK is a sorry pathetic sight.
    Boris is going to make his move soon. I think he wanted to be sacked following the article, easier to make a play for leadership from outside the cabinet. He's surprised that May has not sacked him. He's desperate to be PM and the upcoming conference is a good time to launch a bid, either on the record or behind the scenes.
    patb wrote: »
    Boris is going to make his move soon. I think he wanted to be sacked following the article, easier to make a play for leadership from outside the cabinet. He's surprised that May has not sacked him. He's desperate to be PM and the upcoming conference is a good time to launch a bid, either on the record or behind the scenes.

He cant do any worse,May is very spineless.

At least Boris is pro-active and gets things done.

what does Boris get done? he's singularly lacking in achievements.

the garden bridge any one?
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/sep/19/boris-johnson-could-resign-if-theresa-may-opts-for-swiss-style-brexit

He is openly briefing against the PM and threatening her. It will all end in tears. May will have to resign with Boris going up against ? well David Davies perhaps.

There are no good outcomes here.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    I will only comment on this thread once, as I think its a very bad idea, and will cause people who would normally have a good natured debate about our favourite film franchise to have arguments in bad taste.

Ultimately the people have spoken. Do I think we should even have had a referendum in the first place? I dont really know the answer to that.

The biggest problem was that no one presented the pro's and cons in the media without agenda or spin. No one really knows what the future will hold. Will the EU implode? Maybe, maybe not. Will the UK be better off with trade deals outside of the EU? Who knows.

Its all conjecture, and I myself voted with my heart rather than my head, and went back and forth in the weeks leading up to the referendum several times. Posterity will tell us whether we made the right choice as a country. Leavers and remainers should try to refrain from being at each others throats, and if a sensible discussion cant be had, then please dont have one at all.
    I very much doubt Boris will be PM. If he's seen to stab May in the back he won't get it. Perhaps Davis or more likely another centrist like May. Amber Rudd perhaps although her constituency majority is tiny.

May be another election beckons?
    Boris is not that stupid, he has started to apply the pressure and there will be a stalking horse to trigger the challenge (they will be rewarded later) and then he will run as a candidate. Rudd is useless but that does not stop many politicians
    Boris would be seen as the orchestrator regardless
    Getafix wrote: »
    Boris would be seen as the orchestrator regardless

He might be seen to be,but that wont stop him or his colleagues.

edited September 2017 Posts: 1,053
    Roadphill wrote: »
    I will only comment on this thread once, as I think its a very bad idea, and will cause people who would normally have a good natured debate about our favourite film franchise to have arguments in bad taste.

Ultimately the people have spoken. Do I think we should even have had a referendum in the first place? I dont really know the answer to that.

The biggest problem was that no one presented the pro's and cons in the media without agenda or spin. No one really knows what the future will hold. Will the EU implode? Maybe, maybe not. Will the UK be better off with trade deals outside of the EU? Who knows.

Its all conjecture, and I myself voted with my heart rather than my head, and went back and forth in the weeks leading up to the referendum several times. Posterity will tell us whether we made the right choice as a country. Leavers and remainers should try to refrain from being at each others throats, and if a sensible discussion cant be had, then please dont have one at all.

As leave activist during the run up to the referendum, I have steered clear of this debate of late and have no desire to embroil myself in it beyond this post. You make valid points in your post and are correct when you say only posterity will give us the answers. I vowed to respect the decision of the referendum if it didn't go my way. Such a shame that others can't.

I find the points you make of no validity, it only claims that there are no truths which I sincerely doubt.
    Brexit was a democratic decision which has been voted for by British citizens for whatever reason, that is their own thing.

It already proves to be a costly choice for the UK in the short run, economical it will be a mess if they cannot negotiate a decent treaty. The UK will be become an uninteresting partner for Europe trade through the UK to Europe will cease because it will be cheaper dealing with the EU directly, which will be expensive and an income that will be lost. The Commonwealth is not such a big fan of the UK as they tend to believe, nobody likes the one who colonized them and oppressed them for far to long. Memories tend to remember and will there will be payback.

There is no economical reason whatsoever to walk out of the EU only reasons against it. The only economists against the continued involvement with the EU are bananas.

And last not least if a guy like Trump is in favor of Brexit you know you are on the wrong side of common sense and intelligence. ;)
    @SaintMark, attempting to have reasoned debate with the leave crowd is pointless. There are no objectives truths in the post-truth age.
    edited September 2017 Posts: 1,053
    Please rearrange the following words;

pram the of throw out toys the .

Classic knee jerk reaction by the remoaners. Insults, and Trump. How original! Are these valid counterpoints? let the audience decide.

Attempting to have a reasoned debate with those who have convinced themselves that the UK cannot function outside the EU is pointless. There are no objectives truths in the post-truth age!

My final word in this thread......

This discussion has been closed.