The BREXIT Discussion Thread.

Comments

Sorry if I misquoted you but my first point I hope still stands
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    The EU re-iterates that they will not budge. So? It's time to say tare up the last 2 farcical years and head for WTO rules. Regardless of what you think, the UK side is an elected government, the EU side is not elected and more like a club of priveledge.
    That the EU side is not elected is clearly bullshit. Apart from the fact that Juncker was elected as the leading candidate of the European People's Party (the coalition of center-right parties from the member states) in the latest EP election, it is usually the same people that insist the most that their member state should have a veto over anything not to their liking that on the other hand insist that it is all non-democratic. The EU is at least as democratic as a system that (in the US) provides for an equal number of senators in the upper house for every state, whatever its size, or the UK system of having an upper house in the House of Lords, where I do not see any democratic legitimacy whatsover. To call the EU leadership "a club of privilege" (I do not repeat your spelling here) in that light is simply ridiculous.

The EU election system is a brilliant compromise of those two opposing forces, and as democratic as it can get under the circumstances. Yes, I would like to have a simple majority system, but can you imagine it without safeguards for the smaller member states against being overruled by the big ones? No way.

But of course feel free to get out. Just don't expect to be able to pick any further cherries after the EU made the mistake of giving Maggie Thatcher "her money back". I'd truly be delighted if everything works out fine for both sides, but don't blame the EU if it doesn't.

As far as I am concerned, the House of Lords should be elected, As for the spelling mistake? I was tired after a 16 to 17 hour work day and never realised, as for cherry picking? I agree you cannot do that. Neither side will resolve this situation without some major NEW concessions which as far as I can see is not going to happen. So it is either put up or shut up.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    As far as I am concerned, the House of Lords should be elected, As for the spelling mistake? I was tired after a 16 to 17 hour work day and never realised, as for cherry picking? I agree you cannot do that. Neither side will resolve this situation without some major NEW concessions which as far as I can see is not going to happen. So it is either put up or shut up.

OK, I apologise for mentioning the spelling mistake, and I share your conclusion - while at the same time saying that there's no way the EU is going to budge on its principles. Sad, but inevitable. You can't play the greens if you terminate your membership in a golf club and refuse to obey the rules while playing as a guest.
    As the reality of Brexit (or some of it) becomes clear, it's interesting to take a certain topic and compare reality with the way the media covered it. So today, we had the news that UK consumers would have to pay around £6 admin fee (lasting 3 years) to travel to any EU county (peanuts IMHO),

go back to as recently as June, 2018 and see how the media were covering this, £50 per time!. Remainers criticise the leave campaign but this is a perfect example of the scare stories circulated about the ramifications of leaving.

There were clearly other options being discussed back then but one option dominates the coverage

https://metro.co.uk/2018/06/22/brussels-wants-us-pay-50-every-time-visit-europe-brexit-7650812/
    That's a good spot @patb and indeed it shows the desperate scaremongering that was going on in 2016.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    First trailer for the HBO film on Brexit:

j_w_pepper wrote: »

OK, I apologise for mentioning the spelling mistake, and I share your conclusion - while at the same time saying that there's no way the EU is going to budge on its principles. Sad, but inevitable. You can't play the greens if you terminate your membership in a golf club and refuse to obey the rules while playing as a guest.

Could not agree more and we are just two regular people who get that outcome. Just a shame politicians do not share the same common sense.
    The fun all starts again on Monday!
    Anyone watch "An Uncivil War" on Channel 4 tonight?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Prime Minister Theresa May's Brexit deal has been rejected by 230 votes - the largest defeat for a sitting government in history.

MPs voted by 432 votes to 202 to reject the deal, which sets out the terms of Britain's exit from the EU on 29 March.

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn has now tabled a vote of no confidence in the government, which could trigger a general election.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-46885828
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Prime Minister Theresa May's Brexit deal has been rejected by 230 votes - the largest defeat for a sitting government in history.

MPs voted by 432 votes to 202 to reject the deal, which sets out the terms of Britain's exit from the EU on 29 March.

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn has now tabled a vote of no confidence in the government, which could trigger a general election.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-46885828

A thriller of a vote. I salute you all from across the pond, Holland.
    I think there should be new dictionary definition for the word 'Brexit':

'Utter shambles/devoid of plan/waste of time/why bother?!'

I think that sums it up nicely. :P
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    I was, and still am a leaver.

Let's be honest though, the way Brexit has been handled is appalling on all sides. We may as well just bite the bullet and stay in.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The Brexit debacle, currently, only serves to destabilise Europe -- including the UK -- as a whole, the UK specifically and the Western World in total. Some countries elsewhere are laughing their socks off.

Why?

Because the leavers have chosen tribalism over progress and Farage's mad fearmongering over reason; and because the remainders have chosen sabotage and friction over compliance and the principles of democracy.

By trying to artificially wrench the 21st century back to some pre-WWII "golden ages" that really never were, the Brexit gooroos have done nothing if not given themselves the proverbial finger. But the people have spoken and so Brexit must happen no matter what. These endless debates are now making an obvious mistake even worse, sinking Britain ever deeper in that heap of horse bugger Farage and co have set up for their beloved kingdom.

The country is left politically and economically weaker than before because pride is valued way more than common sense. But I have made peace with that. What I haven't made peace with yet is how things are being handled now. Perhaps we should just tell the Russians and the Chinese to go ahead and proceed without us, because this little domestic (as in European) quarrel may take a while.
    Self inflicted national harm and idiotic stupidity of unparalleled magnitude. Got to hand it to everyone who voted leave - well done guys.
    Getafix wrote: »
    Self inflicted national harm and idiotic stupidity of unparalleled magnitude. Got to hand it to everyone who voted leave - well done guys.

You've got to give the politicians, those professionals, who have the best interest for their country and people at heart, some serious credit. They do know Jack All and have shown such deep understanding of the matter at hand.
    With such a strong defender as protector for England you need nothing to fear.
    Its pretty simple. Brexit as sold to the British people was a lie.

May's deal is actually what Brexit looks like. And as everyone seems to agree, May's deal is garbage.

So the reality is that Brexit = garbage.

A second referendum would be the sensible way to resolve this. Do people still want to leave now that we know what Brexit actually is, as opposed to the fantasy BS we were sold.

I suspect we will end up leaving though along the lines of May's deal. Which btw is only the end of the beginning of Brexit. After we leave the EU that's when the real negotiations begin - years and years of them.

I know that all Leavers aren't racist idiots but they must be beginning to understand why the 48% see them that way.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited January 2019 Posts: 17,792
    Well, it is kind of you to concede that we are not all racist idiots. We must be thankful for small mercies, I suppose. Race had nothing whatsoever to do with my decision to vote Leave. Nor had immigration. I resent your lazy attempts to pigeonhole the majority of Leave voters simply because you disagree with the outcome of the 2016 referendum. Calling everyone racist for having a perfectly legitimate right to vote Leave (within a binary choice) says more about the Remain side's intolerance than the alleged yet unproven "racism" ever could.

No, my principal reason for voting Leave in the first place was to regain parliamentary and legal sovereignty against the backdrop of cases like Factortame. It's high time that the Remain side showed some political maturity in this debate, and didn't always revert to childish name-calling and gross generalisations to get their, by now, rather tired point across.
    IF there is a second "peoples vote" (stupid term), the bile from the Remainers towards the leavers may come back to haunt them. There has been little or no attempt to show any empathy, insight or understanding towards why people would select leave other than to label them as stupid, poorly educated, racist, "gammon", old, etc etc

Considering that almost all of the calls for a second vote are coming from remainers, you would have thought they would be more sensituve and insightful.
  • Dragonpol wrote: »
    Well, it is kind of you to concede that we are not all racist idiots. We must be thankful for small mercies, I suppose. Race had nothing whatsoever to do with my decision to vote Leave. Nor had immigration. I resent your lazy attempts to pigeonhole the majority of Leave voters simply because you disagree with the outcome of the 2016 referendum. Calling everyone racist for having a perfectly legitimate right to vote Leave (within a binary choice) says more about the Remain side's intolerance than the alleged yet unproven "racism" ever could.

No, my principal reason for voting Leave in the first place was to regain parliamentary and legal sovereignty against the backdrop of cases like Factortame. It's high time that the Remain side showed some political maturity in this debate, and didn't always revert to childish name-calling and gross generalisations to get their, by now, rather tired point across.

May's deal still ties Britain to the jurisdiction of the ECJ - so your argument is moot and @Getafix point remains. The second referendum is the only feasible solution.

You voted for Brexit because you personally had a preconceived idea of what you anticipated the ultimate result to be. Your expectation hasn't materialised and was never truly on the table. Therefore, now we know precisely what "Brexit" actually is - we a democratic nation should make a decision.

A second vote does not undermine democracy - democracy is not a 'moment in time' - it's an ongoing exercise. Just because you voted for the Tories one year, doesn't mean you can't vote for Labour another. True democracy entitles us to change our minds. A People's Vote does not undermine the referendum in 2016, it merely gives us a chance to better articulate our response to genuine proposals being offered by the Government.
    edited January 2019 Posts: 15,690
    Dragonpol wrote: »

May's deal still ties Britain to the jurisdiction of the ECJ - so your argument is moot and @Getafix point remains. The second referendum is the only feasible solution.

This solution is also moot, as there isn't enought time before the March 29th deadline to prepare & stage a second referendum.
    Article 50 can be revoked. That would give more time to take the next steps.
    vzok wrote: »

Revoking Article 50 does not give more time, it simply cancels Brexit out all together. Once it is revoked, Brexit no longer exists, so a second vote no longer matters. To get more time to negotiate/think/make a second referendum, you'd need a deadline extension.
  • vzok wrote: »

Revoking Article 50 does not give more time, it simply cancels Brexit out all together. Once it is revoked, Brexit no longer exists, so a second vote no longer matters. To get more time to negotiate/think/make a second referendum, you'd need a deadline extension.

Could you not revoke it and then do a second referendum? If necessary, you can re-trigger Article 50 and then immediately begin the leave process based on the actual Brexit plan.

We know Article 50 can easily be revoked by the MPs taking a vote, it would be more hazardous to go back to the EU27 and ask for an extension they might not give.They're already said they won't.

By revoking it, there's also the rather charming prospect that we'd be in stalemate for years deciding what should be on the second referendum ballot and then probably never end up leaving. It's kinda perfect.
    vzok wrote: »

Could you not revoke it and then do a second referendum? If necessary, you can re-trigger Article 50 and then immediately begin the leave process based on the actual Brexit plan.

We know Article 50 can easily be revoked by the MPs taking a vote, it would be more hazardous to go back to the EU27 and ask for an extension they might not give.They're already said they won't.

By revoking it, there's also the rather charming prospect that we'd be in stalemate for years deciding what should be on the second referendum ballot and then probably never end up leaving. It's kinda perfect.

You can only revoke Article 50 in good faith (i.e. after reflexion, deciding it is better not to leave). Doing so in order to gain more time does not fall under such definition by the EU. So while the UK can revoke Article 50 by itself (thus cancelling Brexit completely), it can't do such thing to gain more time. For this, they need a deadline extension, which isn't up to the UK, but must be unanimously agreed by all the other member states.

So for a second referendum, the UK needs to get all member states to agree on a deadline extension before March 29th (in 71 days). Revoking Article 50 removes all need of a second referendum as Brexit would no longer be existing.
    And the EU categorically stated that no further extension would be granted,if applied for.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    And the EU categorically stated that no further extension would be granted,if applied for.

I believe France and Germany said they are 'open' to consider it, but that still leaves another 25 member states to convince, and all within 71 days.
This discussion has been closed.