CLOSED

Comments

• edited May 2018 Posts: 19,339
    TripAces wrote: »
    patb wrote: »
    I think it's unfair to just say "Americans", there are millions of sensible people in the USA but they are outnumbered by the not so sensible.

This is a horrible spin off from the gun issue: all Americans get branded the same.

Actually, they aren't. The problem is that the not-so-sensible rural minority have more voting power than the sensible urban majority. California + New York (60 million people total) = 4 votes in the senate; Wyoming + Nebraska + North Dakota + South Dakota + Montana + Idaho (6 million total) = 12 votes. Until that problem is fixed through a Constitutional amendment of some sort, this country will continue to slide into the abyss.

Wow,thats an excellent but worrying example there,60m people = 4 votes,6m people = 12 votes.

Madness.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Another factor- the gun nuts that have been manipulated into believing that the government wants to take away their guns. They're quite vocal, regurgitating their NRA talking points every chance they get. What they DON'T realize is, the government wouldn't NEED to take their guns, just seize and shut down ammo factories, then make it a death penalty offense to traffic black market ammo. But that's not gonna happen. It makes for better gun profits to keep the threat of dis-arming alive and well... and gun sales surge with every mass shooting, so they they clearly want it to continue as-is.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Opting for "stricter controls" is better than nothing. Checking those statistics I was actually surprised to find that the number of firearms per 100 persons in the likes of Germany and Austria is among the world's top five or so (ok, nowhere near the US's 101.5, but around 30 - more than Canada). But those guns are registered, their owners need a licence which will be revoked for any criminal offence (except the puniest), and which is issued only if you prove your reliability and personal need to have a gun in the first place, for instance if you are a trained and licenced huntsman or a sports marksman. Authorities can check if they are stored properly (meaning in a locked gun closet, with all ammunition stored separately and also locked away, of course).

No weapons of war (meaning no assault rifles and other fully automatic guns) are legally available, with no exceptions. It is a felony to have one in your possession, and so on. Just looking at the statistics again, it basically seems to work.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Another factor- the gun nuts that have been manipulated into believing that the government wants to take away their guns. They're quite vocal, regurgitating their NRA talking points every chance they get. What they DON'T realize is, the government wouldn't NEED to take their guns, just seize and shut down ammo factories, then make it a death penalty offense to traffic black market ammo. But that's not gonna happen. It makes for better gun profits to keep the threat of dis-arming alive and well... and gun sales surge with every mass shooting, so they they clearly want it to continue as-is.

Nice to know some people actually trust the U.S. government. In case you couldn't tell, that was sarcasm.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2018 Posts: 15,686
    "You talk about your nuclear capabilities, but ours are so massive and powerful that I pray to God they will never have to be used." - President Trump tells Kim Jong-un why he's cancelling planned summit.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44242558
    Here we go again.
    Thought it was too good to be true.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I read it, and then I read this
    http://www.bbc.com/news/help-41670342

And then I remembered how untrustworthy that gang is.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Called it from the start. So much for those idiotic commemorative coins and talks of the Nobel Peace Prize, ehh? Too much "winning" for this joke of an administration.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I’m shocked...
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Called it from the start. So much for those idiotic commemorative coins and talks of the Nobel Peace Prize, ehh? Too much "winning" for this joke of an administration.

Many invested their life savings in those coins... now they are broke... poor Trump fans. ;)
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Ah, so instead of peace we are back to who has the bigger dic... er, I mean nuclear weapon.
    Coincidental timing after N.Korea blew up their nuclear tunnels apparently,earlier today.

Many invested their life savings in those coins... now they are broke... poor Trump fans. ;)

Those coins will be worth a lot to some collector out there now, I'm sure.

Those coins will be worth a lot to some collector out there now, I'm sure.

They've been discounted! Get 'em while they're hot... or, err... not too cold.
    Why is anybody surprised that the big Orange in chief messed this up with his cronies, the man looks unhealthier with each day.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Why is anybody surprised that the big Orange in chief messed this up with his cronies, the man looks unhealthier with each day.

He lives on McDonald's like a kid. But he's not a kid.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    SaintMark wrote: »

He lives on McDonald's like a kid. But he's not a kid.

yes he is, living in a 90 y/o body (or thereabouts). This had been coming and though he (again) lost credit in the rest of the world, it could've been worse, when he'd have to walk away in the meeting. Kim is the clear winner. How painful for this 'winning' president, with the biggest innauguration crowd EVER.

Having to check in yet again @peter, hope this didn't affect you or anyone you know:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/25/americas/canada-restaurant-explosion/index.html
    Having to check in yet again @peter, hope this didn't affect you or anyone you know:

You just beat me to it matey,i was changing the thread title haha.
    barryt007 wrote: »

Nice! Hope you didn't mind me tweaking it during that Texas school shooting; I think you were busy with your wedding (hoping it went well!) and others wanted it tweaked.

Nice! Hope you didn't mind me tweaking it during that Texas school shooting; I think you were busy with your wedding (hoping it went well!) and others wanted it tweaked.

No not at all,i mentioned it in here before that if im not around then they should get a mod to update it.

I'm glad you did !
    Wouldn't be a normal week in America without another school shooting:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/25/us/indiana-school-shots-fired/index.html

I'm beginning to not give a shit now,its such a common occurance.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Thanks for asking, gents.... No a little west of the downtown core. I just had breakfast with a friend and we both think it sounds like some kind of personal vendetta rather than terrorism— or a shakedown of some kind.

I would guess these were hired goons to send a message to the owners of the restaurant.

Could be wrong and we’ll get more as the day goes on.

Thankfully no one I know was there...
    Just heard this pearl of wisdom:

Trump better not get assassinated otherwise the Democrats have to admit there is something positive about guns and a lack of gun control. ;)
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

I'm beginning to not give a shit now,its such a common occurance.

yep, can't give a toss. The Teacher is a proper hero though.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    3 people kiled in a shooting in Belgium today:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-44289404
    I see the motive is as mysterious as ever.
    The guy was on a list of religion of peace extremists, and yet he was out on parole. Doing time for drug crimes, but they knew he was circulating in an unhealthy religious environment in jail. Sounds like this was planned by the authorities. They can t be this clueless?
    The guy was on a list of religion of peace extremists, and yet he was out on parole. Doing time for drug crimes, but they knew he was circulating in an unhealthy religious environment in jail. Sounds like this was planned by the authorities. They can t be this clueless?

yes they can, it's Belgium. (Sorry @DarthDimi )

This discussion has been closed.