CLOSED

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    U.S.A. withdrawing from the U.N. Human Rights Council.
    Not a surprise under Trump administration.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/u-s-withdraw-u-n-human-rights-council-n884751

says in part:

WASHINGTON — The United States plans to withdraw from the United Nations Human Rights Council, two U.S. officials confirmed to NBC News on Tuesday. The announcement is expected to be made by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and U.S. Ambassador to the U.N. Nikki Haley at 5 p.m. this evening.

The Trump administration has repeatedly threatened to withdraw from the 47-member human rights body, most recently in March of this year, citing bias against Israel.

But the expected announcement comes just a day after the U.N.'s top human rights official, Zeid Ra'ad Al Hussein, criticized the Trump administration's "zero tolerance" immigration policy that has resulted in the separation of nearly 2,000 children from their parents at the border.

"The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable," he said Monday in an address to the council.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Check out the Yahoo Comments section sometime; filled with bots, trolls and extremists on both sides, too. Terrifying stuff.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I mainly use Facebook- the bastion of reason and sanity. ;)
    Ah, I truly avoid facebook except for music.
    I follow more than 30 news sources on twitter. It's easier and cleaner, faster for me than facebook ever was.
    Ah, I truly avoid facebook except for music.
    I follow more than 30 news sources on twitter. It's easier and cleaner, faster for me than facebook ever was.

Honestly, FB allows for longer and more detailed fan discussions (like here), and NOWHERE on the net can I deliver a verbal shock & awe sortie to a Trumpthug like there. ;)
    More info is coming out now ... and perhaps some of you in the U.S. watched this on TV. I am just reading it during my lunch break.

edited June 2018 Posts: 12,459
    Interesting - this is what Portland is doing ...

"The community has to stand up and say we do not want this in our cities, in our states, in our nation," Tashjian said.

"If we don't stand up and respond together, who's going to?"

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    She only gives the introduction, and takes extra questions at the end.

She's only following orders.

Not sure what you mean. What does it have to do with anything at all?

"I vas only followink orders" was the excuse many Nazis gave in their trials at Nuremburg. The excuse was unsuccessful and the Nazis involved ended up doing time. Do you really not know that or are just trying to pretend ignorance when it suits you?

I don t even understand what you are commenting on.
  • She only gives the introduction, and takes extra questions at the end.

She's only following orders.

Not sure what you mean. What does it have to do with anything at all?

"I vas only followink orders" was the excuse many Nazis gave in their trials at Nuremburg. The excuse was unsuccessful and the Nazis involved ended up doing time. Do you really not know that or are just trying to pretend ignorance when it suits you?

I don t even understand what you are commenting on.

...It suits you.
    This point is good. We need to call out the lies and not go along quietly with White House spokesperson/mouthpiece (Sanders, Nielsen, whoever is next). Because, as some here have pointed out recently, the "I was only following orders" excuse is at heart without merit.

BUT at the same time, it is Trump himself and those who write the acts, and give the orders that we disagree with, and in some instances find truly abhorant - these people are the main reason these things come to fruition and happen. I think we need to not be too distracted into too prolonged a focus on the people who are put out in front to take the heat. Those people who are in front still bear their own responsibility, of course. Nobody is forcing them to say these things; they could quit their position, leave the administration rather than continue on this path. But the main focus should be, in my opinion, on Trump.

Trump has shown time and again that he will say or do something so out of the ordinary it could be generally described as outrageous, but he uses it as a distraction. Including North Korea.

As the Mueller investigation continues, more people jailed, more indictments closer to him and his children, I think he will do even more to cause chaos, to cause distraction. I guess the new"Space force" he wants to start would be another example.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    My dear @Thunderfinger , it's in your own post!
    The information given, that isn t reported on:

10 000 of the 12 000 minors had entered alone.
    means 2000 came with their parents, correct?

Several of the others had entered with human smugglers, and been separated from them to protect the kids.

Others had parents who were arrested for illegalities, or were taken from their parents because they had been put in danger. The kids aren t living in cages. They are given health care, education and help to reunite with relatives, or placed in foster homes.

No one who entered legally and could demonstrate their family relations were separated.

Judging by the spin given to this, it s like Holocaust all over again.
    So, Trump's administration here tells us that those 2000 kids were 'taken from their parents'. They say it themselves! And then they go on by saying 'that's not so bad, we treat them well and we place them with relatives (where?) or completely strange people they've never known before.

The last bit is irrelevant, we weren't talking about people entering the US legally in the first place.

So what's different? Under Obama, the whole system was heavily critisized as well, but parents and kids were not seperated and those who came with their kids were not prosecuted for 'illegallities', but just send back with their kids. Those who came without kids were prosecuted. Sessions, amongst others responsible, thought that too soft and now ALL immigrants are charged with illigallities, hence the ALWAYS get seperated from their kids. Sessions is of the opinion that this scares those trying to get into the USA in not going.

So, babies, kids, children are taken away from their parents, with a good chance never to see them again.

So how does this not sound bad at all?

Does all this mean that we can start have American villains in Bond movies again? Long overdue!
    It doesn t mean 2000 came with their parents, a lot of them came with traffickers. You would have learned that if you bothered watching/reading, but I don t blame you. A lot of the journalists who asked follow-up questions clearly hadn t been listening, either. Nothing new there.
    jon-favreau.jpg

Obama s former speech writer forgot that the picture was taken in 2014, and therefore it was ok back then.
    Is that the steady march of fascist boots I hear?
    Pretty tasteless to make jokes about kids in distress.
  • Pretty tasteless to make jokes about kids in distress.

Says the main jokester on this board...
    Child separation definitely happened under Obama, but under extreme circumstances such as being unsure whether or not the person accompanying them was actually a parent or under the guise of a trafficker. Even still, whether it did blatantly occur or not, it was never at the levels of thousands in a matter of months.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    Child separation definitely happened under Obama, but under extreme circumstances such as being unsure whether or not the person accompanying them was actually a parent or under the guise of a trafficker. Even still, whether it did blatantly occur or not, it was never at the levels of thousands in a matter of months.

And Obama never used thousands of separated children as bargaining chips to try to get funding for a pet project that couldn't get funded otherwise.
    That's exactly what is taking place, too; as the Republicans convened last night to discuss this, their obvious and inevitable response was to put it to legislation by getting their border wall fully funded. Again, they don't care about these children at all; if they did, it would've been fixed yesterday, or the day before, or last week. They'll just use them as a bargaining chip, as @BeatlesSansEarmuffs said, to get what they truly want.
    Okay, even Trump himself realized he's pushed it too far. He just signed an order to stop taking kids from their families- a thing he said only Democrats could fix. So he fixes the problem he caused, and wants to look the hero. Putrid ass.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Okay, even Trump himself realized he's pushed it too far. He just signed an order to stop taking kids from their families- a thing he said only Democrats could fix. So he fixes the problem he caused, and wants to look the hero. Putrid ass.

He'll flip-flop endlessly if people refuse to call him out on it. You cannot sign this (effectively confirming that he was solely responsible for the change) and simultaneously state it's on the Democrats. As I've said for the last few days, just shows that he was lying the entire time and blamed it on them so he didn't look bad for the policies he himself was enacting. At least it's been fixed now, finally. Combover Caligula never fails to blow my mind in the worst ways.
    edited June 2018 Posts: 12,459
    Just a reminder (like we need one) that this president is all about himself ... due to his ego, he lies about darn near everything. Even when there are plenty of witnesses. Even when it is a small matter, even when ... oh you get the picture. ;)

And Trump has given in on this issue to an extent, as predicted, but not before children and families have been hurt. His new solution will keep them incarcerated together "indefinitely" and is, I believe, also unConstitutional. But I am grateful to all the people in my country demanding action on this, to force his hand at least this much.
    BUT it is only a temporary stay ... in 20 days there is a legal problem and I think Trump will say he is "forced" to again separate children from their families. This will be updated ...

Look out for info on this: There is a lot of money going to businesses who provide the temporary shelters ("camps"), staff, drugs for the children to keep them "calm" (reports are coming through on that now ... many kids being medicated), and tents. Tent cities already planned. So this is far from resolved. And the march, thankfully, is still on:

latest: Hundreds of people in airport now (NY) to meet the immigrant children who have been just sent there.
    In truly World Events news - here is my main contribution today:

Japan beat Colombia in the 2018 World Cup!!! Yay! :)
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    edited June 2018 Posts: 7,948
    It doesn t mean 2000 came with their parents, a lot of them came with traffickers. You would have learned that if you bothered watching/reading, but I don t blame you. A lot of the journalists who asked follow-up questions clearly hadn t been listening, either. Nothing new there.

Really? I'd bet the 10.000 coming without their parents would be the ones coming with human traffickers. Or would you really believe kids undertake such an epic journey on their own accord? Still leaves the 2000, or rather 2300 as the HHS states who were taken from their families.

But I guess you'd rather believe the guy who's been contradicting himself for as long as he's lived.
    Yup, that's how a lot of the supporters are; they've deceived themselves for so long that anything they don't like is "fake" and that's that. Like how Trump initially admitted it was him in the Access Hollywood tape, then a month later was shouting about how it's fake and the supporters believed him.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 613
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Like how Trump initially admitted it was him in the Access Hollywood tape, then a month later was shouting about how it's fake and the supporters believed him.

Even though we can agree that Trump's a liar and frequently contradicts himself, you're misrepresenting what actually happened. In early 2017, the New York Times reported that, according to anonymous sources, Trump made remarks to a senator (unnamed) and an adviser (unnamed) that suggested he was doubtful of the authenticity of the tape. There was no "shouting" to his supporters and I don't think Trump tweeted about it. (If you have a video of a speech or a tweet, feel free to correct me.)

Really? I'd bet the 10.000 coming without their parents would be the ones coming with human traffickers. Or would you really believe kids undertake such an epic journey on their own accord? Still leaves the 2000, or rather 2300 as the HHS states who were taken from their families.

But I guess you'd rather believe the guy who's been contradicting himself for as long as he's lived.

This is good news, and I don t "want" to believe anything. I just wanted some clarification, instead of name-calling.
    Escalus5 wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Like how Trump initially admitted it was him in the Access Hollywood tape, then a month later was shouting about how it's fake and the supporters believed him.

Even though we can agree that Trump's a liar and frequently contradicts himself, you're misrepresenting what actually happened. In early 2017, the New York Times reported that, according to anonymous sources, Trump made remarks to a senator (unnamed) and an adviser (unnamed) that suggested he was doubtful of the authenticity of the tape. There was no "shouting" to his supporters and I don't think Trump tweeted about it. (If you have a video of a speech or a tweet, feel free to correct me.)

You are correct, though that's a rather minor part of the whole point I was making, which is that he will flip-flop and change his mind on factual information for no reason whatsoever. You can't claim something is real, then question its authenticity months later. HE said the stuff, he would know better than anyone.
This discussion has been closed.