24 (2001 - 14) / 24: Legacy (2017) / Designated Survivor (2016 - 19)

Comments

Sure, maybe these first two hours have been full of the 24 cliches (I just got around to finally watching them), but holy shit, that was incredible. Easily two of the best episodes (if not the two outright best; between seasons 6 - 8 it doesn't exactly have much competition) 24 has had since at least the fifth season finished.

That's how I felt too. It's the same old 24 sure but it's 24 at it's best.
    On to Season 2 now. Interesting to hear Sean Callery's music again. Some of his cues remind me of the score he did for 007: Everything or Nothing.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Watching the first episode of Die Live Another Day now. I love 24 but having not seen it for a few years I forgot how cheesy it is. Jack hasn't spoken yet...so it's going to be great when he opens his mouth :D

This may be a minor thing but when would someone refer to a suspect as being "here in London" when they were also based in London?
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited May 2014 Posts: 12,459
    Well, yeah, it is a common enough sentence. I do say, "Here in Kurashiki ..." for example. Plus Jack is American, so that is a way to reference it, too.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Yeah that's what I was thinking. It was reminding US audiences that he's come from America to London.

I love how 90% of the dialogue is exposition.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I love how 90% of the dialogue is exposition.

That's 24. The other 10% is "Dammit!"
    I must say Chloe is looking so rough, though. :( She must have been through a lot. That's all I'll say. I know this thread needs spoilers.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    She did jail time and became, as one of the producers said on a TV special the Saturday before the premiere, a "radical Edward Snowden". At least she didn't pussy out and head to Russia like Snowden did.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Colin Salmon as General Coburn in "24: LIVE ANOTHER DAY".
    2qdvlht.jpg

2dv7e55.jpg

28s3ktj.jpg
    I've got a 24 related question. If I wanted to watch the new season would I need to have watched the previous seasons? I know little to nothing about 24 but Ive heard good things.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Colin Salmon obviously doesn't age.

Question for '24' fans, which I may have asked before: is the show great from beginning to end, or does it pick up and let you down in the latter half (looking at you, 'Dexter'...), or what? It's on Netflix, I'm sure I'll have a while before I end up finding a summer job, and I'm looking for a show to take on. It's either this or 'Sons of Anarchy.'
    I've got a 24 related question. If I wanted to watch the new season would I need to have watched the previous seasons? I know little to nothing about 24 but Ive heard good things.

It would make sense if only for the sake of understanding what this character (Jack Bauer that is) has been through to get to this point. There are callbacks to as early as the fourth season in the new one.
    I've heard the first 2-3 seasons are good and then after that they get predictable, boring, crazy, and weird. Many people questioned why it was coming back. But I've only seen the first half of the first season and so far I'm pretty bored. Everything is still bit awkward, and I'm sure the second half will pick up. I also remember watching a few other episodes, but sort of scattered. I remember them being good, though.

You don't really have to know everything about the series. The important thing is that Jack is wanted, which the first episode is pretty obvious about anyway.

Also, watch this:
    It is not necessary, but I would definitely recommend watching Seasons 1 and 2 first, if you can. But it is okay without doing that.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    I've heard the first 2-3 seasons are good and then after that they get predictable, boring, crazy, and weird. Many people questioned why it was coming back. But I've only seen the first half of the first season and so far I'm pretty bored. Everything is still bit awkward, and I'm sure the second half will pick up. I also remember watching a few other episodes, but sort of scattered. I remember them being good, though.

You don't really have to know everything about the series. The important thing is that Jack is wanted, which the first episode is pretty obvious about anyway.

Also, watch this:

I can't access any video. Could you re-upload? I've seen a few episodes of the first couple of seasons but that was over 10 years ago. I just don't have the time to get caught up on all those seasons. But I DVRed the newest episodes so I just wanted to know if I'd wasting my time.
    Not a waste of time. It's great. If you enjoyed it in the past, at least watch it a bit now and make up your own mind.
    Even though i have given up on the former series of 24,as i just cant face sooo many series and episodes,i have gone back to this new series and i think im up so speed after episode 2..as it's in London i felt i owed it a viewing and so far it's good !
    With last night's episode, I saw an interesting nod to Skyfall, with Jack chasing a suspect in a tube station, and Chloe acting very much as his Q.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    24 only really had one poor season and that was season 6.
    24 only really had one poor season and that was season 6.

And even that season had at least one bright spot. Literally bright, too, it was a frickin' nuke. In the middle of an American city.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Not a waste of time. It's great. If you enjoyed it in the past, at least watch it a bit now and make up your own mind.

Maybe I will if I have nothing better to do, @24EverBonded.
    Just watched episode 3. It's OK but I still find it all a bit "meh". Nothing new or original. It's just same old 24.
    Just watched episode 3. It's OK but I still find it all a bit "meh". Nothing new or original. It's just same old 24.

Jack shooting two civilians in the leg isn't "same old" 24!!!

No, it was a damn cool way to start a riot.

How much screen time was that, 3 seconds? Hardly makes the show fresh and inventive now does it!!
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 2,400
    My Ranking of the "Days" of 24:

10: shit Day Six
    9: Big Trouble in Little Africa Redemption
    8: Day Seven
    7: Day Eight
    6: Day Four
    5: Day Two
    4: Live Another Day (so far)
    3: Day Three
    2: Day One
    1: Day Five

Ranking explanation:

Number 10 is possibly the worst season of television ever broadcast, at least until the final season of Dexter
    Numbers 7 - 9 go from greatly to astoundingly disappointing and/or stupid
    Number 6 is really good, but is made up of a very tired, safe formula and has one of the worst middle acts of any 24 season. Can't deny that ending though
    Numbers 4 and 5 are great, with minor overuse of tired cliches, and in 5's case, the WORST PLOT LINE EVER (Kim/cougar/Matt Dillon's cheaper-to-use brother/babysitting horror movie)
    Number 3 is an absolutely phenomenal season of 24; it is the series at its' most secure, most assured. As far as the effectiveness of the use of the 24 hour, real-time format goes, this season does it best
    Numbers 1 and 2 are two of the greatest seasons of television ever broadcast. #1 is easily in my overall all-time top ten.
    Y'know, Day Five has never been, nor will ever be my favorite season, and I'm actually quite surprised by all the support it gets.
    My Ranking of the "Days" of 24:

10: shit Day Six
    9: Big Trouble in Little Africa Redemption
    8: Day Seven
    7: Day Eight
    6: Day Four
    5: Day Two
    4: Live Another Day (so far)
    3: Day Three
    2: Day One
    1: Day Five

Ranking explanation:

Number 10 is possibly the worst season of television ever broadcast, at least until the final season of Dexter
    Numbers 7 - 9 go from greatly to astoundingly disappointing and/or stupid
    Number 6 is really good, but is made up of a very tired, safe formula and has one of the worst middle acts of any 24 season. Can't deny that ending though
    Numbers 4 and 5 are great, with minor overuse of tired cliches, and in 5's case, the WORST PLOT LINE EVER (Kim/cougar/Matt Dillon's cheaper-to-use brother/babysitting horror movie)
    Number 3 is an absolutely phenomenal season of 24; it is the series at its' most secure, most assured. As far as the effectiveness of the use of the 24 hour, real-time format goes, this season does it best
    Numbers 1 and 2 are two of the greatest seasons of television ever broadcast. #1 is easily in my overall all-time top ten.

You think 8 is better than 7? I really enjoyed 7 even after its slow start.

For me it's

Day 6
    Redemption
    Day 8
    Day 4
    Day 7
    Day 1
    Day 2
    Day 3
    Day 5

Note about Day 2-I love that season. Unfortunately all of the stupid Kim stuff ruins what could have been the best season overall.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Can I just say that I thought this week's episode was all kinds of awesome. Finally some hints of the greatness that the show once was.
    My opinion of this season so far keeps changing.

Parts of it are quite gripping (most of the scenes with Margot) but other parts seem a bit... too "same-y" (Jack takes hostages, a moll, Jack going undercover).

I did like the bit when Jack doesn't even flinch when Rask points a gun between his eyes,