24 (2001 - 14) / 24: Legacy (2017) / Designated Survivor (2016 - 19)

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    As they seem to recasting '24', here's our latest fix of Jack Bauer in a western setting, alongside Donald Sutherland no less:

Jack Bauer IS 24!!! To recast him is unthinkable! [-X
    As they seem to recasting '24', here's our latest fix of Jack Bauer in a western setting, alongside Donald Sutherland no less:

I do like the look of this! :-bd
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2016 Posts: 15,690
    Time to upgrade the thread title: the trailer for 24: Legacy has arrived

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    It looks really great, and the action is off the charts, but this chap is no Kiefer. Not by a long shot.

In a way, it's probably a good thing that they're trying to cast in a different mould to avoid direct comparisons.
    @bondjames this chap is one of the passengers from the Liam Neeson action film 'Non Stop'.
    I didn't recognize him @DaltonCraig007. I've only seen that film a couple of times . Which reminds me, it's time for another watch - perhaps tonight.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I know the guy from playing Dr. Dre from straight outta Compton and from the walking dead.

To be fair, nobody is Keifer; he's in a league of his own and along with Damon as Bourne helped pioneer, the new action hero. Anyway, this looks great, would love to have seen a bit more hand to hand combat but if this new series can live up to what the Bauer era presented, all should be good.
    No Jack though it looks good, maybe Jack will appear at some point. 24 one of my favourite shows will certainly give this a chance.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    24 = Jack Bauer for me. So I guess I need confirmation of an appearance by Jack before I watch this.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Keifer won't be in this. He's just a producer on the show.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Somebody give Jimmy Smits his beard back, please. He looks wrong without it. Other than that, the show looks awesome. I like the idea of a guy being drawn into the terrorist attack who doesn't already work for CTU.
    the show looks awesome. I like the idea of a guy being drawn into the terrorist attack who doesn't already work for CTU.

Yeah, have to admit I sort of wrote this off because of the lack of Keifer but I was under the assumption that it'd just be following a new agent. This actually looks like quite an interesting premise, it's clearly a continuation of the original show but at the same time they're not just aping Jack Bauer. So I'll definitely give it a watch.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    24 jumped the shark after season 3, although season 5 was good again, the rest was just meh...

The last 10 episodes were a nice da-capo of sorts to wave good-bye.

Now they want to milk it as it seems.

24 without Jack Bauer will work as good as The X-Files have worked without Fox Mulder or NCIS would work without Gibbs. It won't.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    24 without Jack Bauer will work as good as The X-Files have worked without Fox Mulder or NCIS would work without Gibbs. It won't.

Hence why the NCIS spin-offs are still going strong?

I have to disagree with you, I believe a 24 spin-off without Jack Bauer can work because it doesn't have Jack Bauer. We're seeing this universe though the lens of different protagonist for the very first time and everything actually feels fresh again. If Jack Bauer - much as I love the character and Keifer Sutherland - had returned, it would have just season 10 of the same thing. Live Another Day gave some energy back into the show, but "some" is all it was. Putting Jack Bauer back in the scene will never give the show back what it had in season 1, but a new protagonist will.

Hence why the NCIS spin-offs are still going strong?

I have to disagree with you, I believe a 24 spin-off without Jack Bauer can work because it doesn't have Jack Bauer. We're seeing this universe though the lens of different protagonist for the very first time and everything actually feels fresh again. If Jack Bauer - much as I love the character and Keifer Sutherland - had returned, it would have just season 10 of the same thing. Live Another Day gave some energy back into the show, but "some" is all it was. Putting Jack Bauer back in the scene will never give the show back what it had in season 1, but a new protagonist will.

When I saw Live Another Day I thought they'd do a spin-off, just with the lead female character. Kind of glad they haven't done that as she was basically the female Jack Bauer.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 15,690
    Jack Bauer is coming back too - Kiefer Sutherland is in a new TV show where he is playing a low government official who becomes the US President after a devastating terrorist attack kills the president and everyone about Kiefer in the line of succession. It's called 'Designated Survivor', and premiers around the same time as 24: Legacy.
    Now that sounds really interesting. I'm first in line. Thanks for the scoop @DaltonCraig007.

That's probably a better play for him at his age than repeating the Bauer role, which he's maxed out anyway (as seen in Live Another Day).

I've missed Kiefer & it will be good to get him back in a political/thriller setting.
    @bondjames for me Kiefer's Bauer peaked at the end of season 8 when he puts on a mask and attacks the ex-president convoy. To this day it is the most badass sequence I've ever seen in any television series.
    For you @bondjames

edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    @DaltonCraig007, that looks awesome. Natascha McElhone! Boy, she hasn't aged a bit. Maggie Q! This can't get here fast enough!

I agree that Season 8 was a great sendoff for Kiefer.

I'll also always remember watching Season 5 in complete and utter awe. Mouth open in amazement at how incredible the show was during that season. A great villain makes any show better, and Gregory Itzin as the Nixonian Charles Logan in Season 5, and Jon Voight as the Cheney'esque Jonas Hodges in Season 7 were the best for me.
    To the mods:

I've added Kiefer's new show in the thread title, as it is too similar to '24'. If you want his new show to get its own thread, it's fine by me.
    I was wondering when Designated Survivor would be brought up. Depending on the timeslot, I'll either watch it or DVR it. 98% of my TV viewing is superhero related (with Star Wars and Wayward Pines being the other 2%), so depending on the timeslot, I could be watching something else at that time.

Looks promising but i have to say i have mixed feelings as their is no Jack Bauer.
    RogueAgent wrote: »

Looks promising but i have to say i have mixed feelings as their is no Jack Bauer.

The man averted 9 major terrorist attacks, let others slip through the cracks and that's just counting the 9 seasons of the show. Adding in books and The Game, he's probably saved the US more times than you've had a slice of pizza. Give him a break! This new guy deserves a shot.
    778255_o.gif

I want Robo Baur The Movie That episode was nuts, Logan was a brilliant character.
    edited October 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Thanks for posting @DaltonCraig007.

They had me with the ticking clock but Miranda Otto & Jimmy Smits are welcome fringe benefits. Action looks to be off the charts. The lead doesn't seem to be all that charismatic (imho, but then again who can compete with Kiefer) but perhaps he'll surprise me.
    Looking forward to seeing this develop?
    "Someone in the government's working with the terrorists. - Trope ticked. Now will there be a mole in CTU?
    It literally would not be 24 without it.