24 (2001 - 14) / 24: Legacy (2017) / Designated Survivor (2016 - 19)

Comments

• edited June 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Just watched the latest episode. Kind of disappointed they didn't follow through with Heller, but my favourite bit by far was when
    Jack threw Margot out the window

Love it when he coldly kills people.

Actually I've just realised:
    Michelle Fairley played Margot in 24 who was killed when Jack brutally threw her out of the window of a high building. Fairley also played Lady Stark in Game of Thrones alongside Sean Bean in S1. Bean starred in GE as Alec Trevelyan, who was dropped from a great height by Bond at the end.

Everything in the universe can be linked back to Bond :p
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    It's just the six degrees of Kevin Bacon.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 2,400
    Wow that episode.

DO NOT LOOK AT THIS SPOILER TAG IF YOU AREN'T CAUGHT UP BECAUSE I AM NOT TO BLAME IF YOU GET THIS SPOILED FOR YOU. FOR PEOPLE WHO DID SEE THE EPISODE, READ IT BECAUSE INCLUDED SOMETHING REALLY FUNNY AT THE END.
    OH MY FUCKING GOD IT'S CHENG!

Previously on 24
    Jack Bauer: "The Lannisters send their regards The only death on my head today is yours"
    The dad from Rush Hour is back with a vengeance!
    Why does Michael Wincott insist on getting shot in the face every time he plays a role?
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    edited July 2014 Posts: 7,854
    Yeah, I didn't expect Cheng to show up as the villain. That was goddamn awesome, a better twist than what I'd wanted before. Now I wonder if Chloe will survive the season.
    Wow that episode.

DO NOT LOOK AT THIS SPOILER TAG IF YOU AREN'T CAUGHT UP BECAUSE I AM NOT TO BLAME IF YOU GET THIS SPOILED FOR YOU. FOR PEOPLE WHO DID SEE THE EPISODE, READ IT BECAUSE INCLUDED SOMETHING REALLY FUNNY AT THE END.
    OH MY FUCKING GOD IT'S CHENG!

Previously on 24
    Jack Bauer: "The Lannisters send their regards The only death on my head today is yours"
    The dad from Rush Hour is back with a vengeance!
    Why does Michael Wincott insist on getting shot in the face every time he plays a role?
    Erm, because he doesn't? :-)
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 2,400
    We need a better title for this thread, it's so hard to find.

Also ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh my that episode.

Lastly, I found this on the internet and thought we should use it since next week will likely be the final episode of 24 ever aired. I'll do mine.

Best Character: Jack Bauer, obviously. One of the greatest fictional characters ever and the only 100% consistently excellent thing about the show. He's lost everything he cares about over eight (and now, next week, nine) days of pure hell. He's saved the world over and over and over and over again. Kiefer deserved every Emmy that he won, and probably a couple more on top of that. That being said, this category sucks because it's like saying that James Bond is the best character in James Bond. DUH!

Best Character Not Named Jack Bauer: George Mason for me. Really this is my pick for the best character in the series when you exclude Jack (because I think objectively, Jack does win by default). As I've said before, the
    Mason poisoning/losing himself/saying goodbye to his son/stepping down from CTU/sacrificing himself
    storyline is the best plot arc in the entire series. Spoiler: Day Two

Worst Character: So many options from the last three seasons. As tempting as it is though to pick Dana Walsh or Janis Gold or Kal Penn's Ahmed (I will give someone 25 dollars if they can manage to be any more racist than the writers here, they cast Kumar as a terrorist NAMED AHMED and then have him just get shot after being annoying) or Sandra Palmer or Sean Hillinger or any of those, they're in the midst of the show's nadir era and ultimately they just... don't matter. Kim Bauer is a tempting pick but she had her moments and her arc in the second season, now that I've just re-watched it, is actually very well written. Plus Elisha Cuthbert is hot as all hell. I'm going to go with Carrie Turner. Uuugh bitch. Bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch. She's the template for all the other shitty CTU "let's fuck up everything the good guys try to do just to create plot tension" female characters that have come along such as Shari (the writers are so lazy that their names rhyme) and whoever else.

Best Season: Day Five. I couldn't believe this season when it aired, and I used to wish after 6/7/8 that they ended this show with
    Jack being abducted
    . Downer ending to a downer series. This was an impeccable season of television (other than Shari and Samwise Gamgee Lynn) and the only reason I'm glad 24 didn't end here is because Live Another Day climbs my rankings with every episode and I couldn't be happier with it. Spoiler: Day Five

Worst Season: Does it even need to be said? Day Six. God I hate you. Everyone hates you. Please go die.

Best Scene: Since I'm not giving "Best Episode" to this (sorry), and since it really genuinely is one of the all time greatest moments in the history of television, nevermind 24,
    Jack finding Teri dead at the end of the first season is just so heartbreaking and emotional and I cry man tears every time I watch it. One thing that can't be denied of the first season and of 24 in general is that it revolutionized television, and to end 24 hours of hell that we, as an audience, had to experience alongside Jack with the death of the woman he just spent that entire day protecting
    was not only shocking but unprecedented. Spoiler: Day One

Best Ally: Well, I gave George the nod for best character so, even though that would technically make him best ally as well, I think it's fair I pick someone else, and we should all know who that is. Ladies and gentlemen, President David Palmer. We got 79 episodes with President Palmer, and Dennis Haysbert filled the air with authority every single second he was on screen. He made the US more comfortable with the idea of a black President (even though there shouldn't be a reason to be uncomfortable with it) and I do believe he had an impact on how the polls went in 2008. While one could argue that Jack Bauer has run his course as a character, I don't think anyone would disagree that David Palmer was used perfectly as a television character, was in the perfect number of episodes, and was never responsible for any of the show's (many) moments of filler.

Best Villain: Everyone says
    Nina Myers
    , and I get why, but god it just got annoying how she kept conveniently being involved in plot after plot just so
    Jack could kill her. I think she should've been killed in the second season, because by the time it got around to the third, the only reason I ended up being happy that Jack shot her was so she couldn't be recycled when the writers ran out of avenues to use for plots
    . Besides, when I think of villains, I think of the masterminds behind the entire plot, or at least the "secondary" plots as well. And out of those, there is only one answer:
    Charles Logan. The reason is simple: they made the PRESIDENT of the UNITED STATES the BAD GUY. Now, on paper, that sounds ridiculous and like the biggest shark jump ever. But I assure you, in execution, somehow, it WORKED. Itzin is an incredible, brilliant, phenomenal actor, Logan is exactly as slimy and weaselly as he needs to be, and the writing is so strong that they actually manage to make this utterly ridiculous plot twist work. And Logan kept coming back and back.
    One of the best villains period. Spoiler: Day One, Two, Three, Five

Best Death: Has to be
    Ryan Chappelle. The fact that they managed to pile so much emotion into one hour of television, especially for a character that nobody really cared about or even liked, is incredible. Kudos to Paul Schulze who stole the spotlight from every other character in his final (and finest) hour on 24. The rollercoaster of emotions and events in this episode - Ryan attempting to flee, Chase thinking they have Saunders only for it to be a set up, Ryan accepting his fate and sacrificing himself but unable to pull the trigger himself - lead up to that gunshot and the best silent clock in the entire series.
    Spoiler: Day Three

Best Twist: Perhaps it's too early to name this one, but dammit,
    the reveal of Cheng as the mastermind behind everything was completely out of left field. With all the talk about the Chinese, they hinted at it almost in an in-your-face way and yet NOBODY saw this coming. I freaked out when he walked through that door, it's by far the most shocking thing that's happened on the show.
    Spoiler: Live Another Day

Saddest Moment: Once again,
    Jack finding Teri dead
    . Spoiler: Day One

Best Single Episode: Day Two, 10:00 p.m. - 11:00 p.m.
    The bomb can't be defused. It has to be flown out to either the Pacific or the Mojave to detonate safely. Jack volunteers to sacrifice himself to do it. Kim gets in touch with Jack, finally, only to find out he's about to die. They get an emotional goodbye. George is revealed to have snuck onto the plane. Jack gets a second shot at life after a second emotional goodbye and speech from George. Jack gets out of the plane in time. George takes the plane down. The bomb goes off with Jack, Palmer and Kim all watching the mushroom cloud rise over the Mojave Desert. 10:59:57... 58... 59... 11:00:00.
    Spoiler: Day Two

Thoughts on Jack Bauer: My thoughts are above.

Final Thoughts: Bittersweet. But I do kind of hope it ends next week; this season was just so incredibly strong, almost, I'd say, on par with Day Five, and I don't want them to fall into the trap of giving us a bunch of bad seasons again. It's been a hell of a ride, I've been watching this show since Day Four (I retroactively watched all the previous episodes right away) and I've been very, very proud of what they've managed to do. Even though I'm heavily disappointed with Day Six, Seven and Eight, I look past those at the first five seasons - 1, 2, and 5 especially - and concede that, no matter how much I might hate those ending seasons, this is still one of the greatest television shows ever broadcast.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    A better thread title would be: 24 (2001 - 2014)
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    wow that was a great finale. If that is truly the end, I am glad Jack did what he did.
    Best scene:
    Jack chopping Cheng's head off with that sword which, for some odd reason, the captain had sitting on the communications deck of all places.
    I'm recording the last episode tomorrow night or tonight..ive seen all 11 so far,and,as this is the first series of 24 that i have seen,i am mightily impressed with it !
    Nice little deus ex second shooter they pulled just so they could kill Audrey.
    So all the anticipation from that teaser trailer months ago is lost because oh WHOOPS THAT NEVER ENDED UP HAPPENING IN THE ACTUAL SHOW.
    Nice, now they can make another series of three shitty seasons in a row by leaving it open ended like this.
    After how good the last three episodes were, this was horrible. Fuck you, 24, you let me down again after getting on my good side, again.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    This TV show for me, is the best TV show ever! Been watching it since it first aired. I can rewatch all the seasons and still get that feeling like I'm watching it all for the first time. So happy with how this latest season played out, I think if we get another season, it should follow the same format to avoid filler episodes. What a show! So glad Kim didn't show up and seeing Jack from season 1 to now is both awesome and tragic.
    Nice little deus ex second shooter they pulled just so they could kill Audrey.
    Eh, why not? Jack's lost better love interests before, and now Heller can quietly slip into Forget-Me-Yes Land without worrying about who the strange woman is serving him breakfast every day.
    So all the anticipation from that teaser trailer months ago is lost because oh WHOOPS THAT NEVER ENDED UP HAPPENING IN THE ACTUAL SHOW.
    Is this a UK only teaser that I'm unaware of?
    Nice, now they can make another series of three shitty seasons in a row by leaving it open ended like this.
    Right, because no season of the show has been open-ended before. Every fucking episode ends on a cliffhanger, the finale should be no different.
    After how good the last three episodes were, this was horrible. Fuck you, 24, you let me down again after getting on my good side, again.
    Cheng got his head chopped off by a sword, it was a great episode.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    When season 8 finished, it was done as a real final for Jack Bauer...
    but this season 9 ending leaves a really big door open to come back.

Is there something about it? Has somebody tell anything?
    I believe 24 has a panel at the sandiego comicon. There may be an announcement about another season. Maybe.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I really enjoyed the finale
    in spite of the real sadness of Audrey's dying
    . I liked this whole series a lot and I enjoyed it being in London; that was a nice change.
    I never really liked Audrey tbh.
    I preferred her to Renee Walker.
    Listening a bit to this podcast ... it is over a hour, I think, so goodness knows when I'll get to listen to all of it. But I thought I'd share the link:

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=41542

Interview with 24 Live Another Day producer/director Jon Cassar
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    Not bad Jack, but London's only big enough for one J.B.
    See you in Russia.

10368193_10152163339216863_6950826556714798859_n.jpg
    Finally catching up with the season finale having not read any spoilers. Poor old Jack, but I love it when he goes on a violent vengeful rampage.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The blu-ray has been detailed and will arrive on September 30th:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=14567
    Excellent! I really enjoyed this latest run. I hope there are more JB 24 episodes in the future.
    It's been a superb mini series - going cold turkey on Wednesdays now is very difficult!
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited January 2016 Posts: 4,437
    After Bourne Legacy, now 24 Legacy.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/40864/fox-orders-kiefer-less-24-legacy-reboot
    FOX Orders Kiefer-Less "24: Legacy" Reboot

By Garth Franklin Friday January 15th 2016 12:01PM
    FOX Orders Kiefer-Less "24: Legacy" Reboot

FOX is seriously said to be considering bringing back its real-time thriller "24" with a formal pilot order for a reboot of the series.

Dubbed "24: Legacy," the pilot will film this winter and Kiefer Sutherland's Jack Bauer character will NOT be part of the revival series. Sutherland himself will be an executive producer on the project which will retain the real-time single day format and split screen styling of the origina.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2016 Posts: 23,883
    M_Balje wrote: »
    " the pilot will film this winter and Kiefer Sutherland's Jack Bauer character will NOT be part of the revival series.
    Very sad to hear that Kiefer won't be playing Jack, but I recognize he's getting on.

It's all going to hinge on the actor they choose now. Someone uncharismatic could destroy the legacy, but if they choose the right fella (hopefully someone with intensity like Kiefer, who we know from films but who hasn't quite cracked the big time) then it could go places.

This is a landmark tv series, so they'd better do it justice.
    I want this show to go to series, but I could easily see it not happening. I, too, feel that the series hinges on the actor they choose to lead, but it also hinges upon the story for that first season. Imagine if season 1 of the original had started with the Teri Bauer amnesia plot? It probably would have gone three episodes and been cancelled.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I agree @Agent007391. I will always remember season 1 and the female terrorist (Mandy) on the plane. That came just around the time of 911 and it was very topical and timely. They were also ahead of their time on a black president (I remember thinking at the time, come on, that's not realistic! Silly me!)

I think they've got enough contemporary world concerns to deliver something really great now (including Russia relations) and I hope they're brave and do what they must to ensure this series moves forward.

I wasn't too keen on Live Another Day.
    I didn't mind Live Another Day, but I wish they would have just ended the 12th episode the same way a normal season would have ended it's 12th episode, and then had FOX commission the other half of the season. That 12 hour time skip at the last commercial break was just stupid.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I loved Live Another Day, a far more fitting finale to Jack's and his Shakespearean troubles than Season 8.

Not keen on 24 without Bauer, though. I really don't think I could shake the character loose from the concept. He is the show.