24 (2001 - 14) / 24: Legacy (2017) / Designated Survivor (2016 - 19)

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Well, I am thoroughly enjoying 24 Live Another Day. It is exciting - I like that it is similar in style to the old 24 because that style is a huge part of what I enjoy about it. I like the story so far a good deal, and I'm quite happy with the developments so far.

The last episode in particular, I thought was quite good - we now have several things developing and it is getting even more interesting.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    My opinion of this season so far keeps changing.

Parts of it are quite gripping (most of the scenes with Margot) but other parts seem a bit... too "same-y" (Jack takes hostages, a moll, Jack going undercover).

I did like the bit when Jack doesn't even flinch when Rask points a gun between his eyes,

Yes that sums up my feelings so far as well.
    And who could've thought Michael Wincott would be playing a villain. One of the least surprising twists so far.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 11,189
    I know that the building used as the US London Embassy Jack occupies is actually in leafy Walton-on-Thames about 5 or 6 miles from where I live (and 40 odd miles from London). Its known as the "Birds Eye Building" and I often pass it when going through the station.
    edited June 2014 Posts: 12,459
    Julie Andrews is from Walton-on-Thames. :) She writes lovingly of it in her autobiography.
    She is indeed.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited June 2014 Posts: 4,438
    24 Live Another Day wil be earlier on Dutch tv then expect. On Thursday 3, 10, 17 and 24 July 2014 at 08.30 PM (20.30) every of those 4 weaks 3 episode on Rtl 5. (20.30-23.15) Time in the series wil start at 11.00 AM and first episode wil play between 11.00 Am and 01.00 PM.
    The effects during the drone strikes (all four of them) this episode were HORRIBLE. 24 has always had amazing special effects and I was really disappointed, but moreso, shocked at it. Great episode otherwise though.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    So, after all the talk of time jumps, we're only getting one, which happens to be within the final episode, 10:00 PM - 11:00 AM:

http://www.24spoilers.com/2014/06/21/24-live-another-day-time-jump
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I don't even get why we need one.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Otherwise, people will complain it was not 24, but 12.

It'll likely be right at the end of the episode, as an epilogue.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Finished 6.00pm-7.00pm.

Just with a 'yes' or 'no' is there any reason why:
    President Heller didn't get a silent clock at the end of the episode?

don't give anything away.
    I don't have a good answer for you, BAIN123.

BAIN123, I
    am dense enough to not understand your question ... when has there been a silent clock on 24 in the past; do you mean a silent countdown ticker - the "ticking" that always happens before the end of the show or even a cut to a commercial - or a silent clock of some sort? Has that happened before? I don't remember that. I'd really like to know; I am in the fog about this, maybe not understanding you ... but trying not to give away spoilers even in this spoiler tag ...

BAIN123, I
    am dense enough to not understand your question ... when has there been a silent clock on 24 in the past; do you mean a silent countdown ticker - the "ticking" that always happens before the end of the show or even a cut to a commercial - or a silent clock of some sort? Has that happened before? I don't remember that. I'd really like to know; I am in the fog about this, maybe not understanding you ... but trying not to give away spoilers even in this spoiler tag ...

Silent clocks have been given on eleven different occasions on the show, usually to acknowledge a somber moment (in particular major character deaths):
    Teri Bauer's death at the end of the season one finale

George Mason, facing terminal radiation poisoning, stepping down from CTU at around 9:40 PM in season two

David Palmer's assassination attempt at the end of season two

Jack Bauer executes Ryan Chappelle two thirds of the way into season three

Edgar Stiles collapses and dies in CTU, watched by all the surviving staff, halfway through season five

Jack Bauer looks out onto the Pacific Ocean, reflecting on his decision to leave Audrey at the end of season six

The end of Redemption

Renee Walker's mock execution in season seven

Jack mourns Bill Buchanan after his sacrifice around 8:15 PM in season seven

Omar Hassan's death in season 8

Renee Walker's death in season 8

Season four is the only season to not feature a silent clock. George Mason and Bill Buchanan's silent clocks are the only ones that do not occur at the end of an episode.

Also I need to re-rank the seasons because I'm now 15 episodes into season 2. Mason's poisoning, deterioration and death is IMO the best story arc in the entire series, and the episode where the bomb goes off is likewise IMO the best episode in the series. I forgot how good this season is.

Redemption
    Live Another Day (so far)
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    edited June 2014 Posts: 7,854
    Heller really deserved a silent clock. I felt his death far more than Omar Hassan, Renee Walker and Edgar Stiles (who really didn't deserve one).

EDIT: I now know why there was no silent clock, and it pisses me off.
    Heller really deserved a silent clock. I felt his death far more than Omar Hassan, Renee Walker and Edgar Stiles (who really didn't deserve one).

EDIT: I now know why there was no silent clock, and it pisses me off.
    I've always considered Edgar's silent clock to be more for Chloe than it was for Edgar.

And seriously, don't tell me (blank) survived. That's ridiculous.
    Yep. [they] did. A whole f*cking hour of great f*cking material was f*cking wasted, now. Thank you, FOX!
    I was wondering about that ... hmmm.
    So
    a trick of the video feed that Margot was watching, that showed the missile killing him?

BAIN123, I

Silent clocks have been given on eleven different occasions on the show, usually to acknowledge a somber moment (in particular major character deaths):
    Teri Bauer's death at the end of the season one finale

George Mason, facing terminal radiation poisoning, stepping down from CTU at around 9:40 PM in season two

David Palmer's assassination attempt at the end of season two

Jack Bauer executes Ryan Chappelle two thirds of the way into season three

Edgar Stiles collapses and dies in CTU, watched by all the surviving staff, halfway through season five

Jack Bauer looks out onto the Pacific Ocean, reflecting on his decision to leave Audrey at the end of season six

The end of Redemption

Renee Walker's mock execution in season seven

Jack mourns Bill Buchanan after his sacrifice around 8:15 PM in season seven

Omar Hassan's death in season 8

Renee Walker's death in season 8

Season four is the only season to not feature a silent clock. George Mason and Bill Buchanan's silent clocks are the only ones that do not occur at the end of an episode.

Also I need to re-rank the seasons because I'm now 15 episodes into season 2. Mason's poisoning, deterioration and death is IMO the best story arc in the entire series, and the episode where the bomb goes off is likewise IMO the best episode in the series. I forgot how good this season is.

Redemption
    Live Another Day (so far)

For me the problem with S2 is that, while the first half up until
    Mason dies and the bomb goes off
    is very good. However, the second half feels like padding.
    I was wondering about that ... hmmm.
    So
    a trick of the video feed that Margot was watching, that showed the missile killing him?

Somehow, yes, even though there wasn't enough time last episode to do that.
    I think the second half of season two does have its' issues, hence why it would never rank above 5 for me (Kingsley is a very underwhelming villain who basically does nothing except talk and get shot, not even by Jack) but the stuff with Palmer and the 25th amendment equate to the best political drama ever on 24.
    I was disappointed that the Max plot thread was left hanging. The we got 24 The Game, and I got to put a bullet in his skull.
    I was disappointed that the Max plot thread was left hanging. The we got 24 The Game, and I got to put a bullet in his skull.

Oh I forgot to mention that Kate Warner is an even worse character than Kim Bauer. Yep.
    Kate's not horrible. Not as bad as that little girl, anyway.
    I don't mind Kate at all personally; I like her with Jack and I hope they interact more. I am still enjoying 24 Live Another Day. I like its London base, I am enjoying the characters. Rather sorry
    Jordan was killed
    I am rolling with the new plot twist, but
    there definitely was not time to rig the video, it was seconds ... not minutes ... I guess we are to believe that Chloe did all this and was already working on faking the video well ahead of time, we just did not know it. Ah well ...
    One twist I was looking for at the end of the latest episode was
    for Chloe to be in on it. Chloe was supposed to be radically different, but save for some slight irritation, she's been the same damn Chloe the whole time. Then, we get her meeting up with whatever his name is (I forgot, that's sad), and I just wanted her to be in on it.
    So,
    you wanted Chloe to be part of the bad guys? Just to be different. Well, she is now, but by mistake. She thinks that organization is promoting something good, little pseudo anarchists that they are, or whatever. I was sad because she is still married with a child waiting for her return from exile. I believe she is still true to doing good in the world and will come around when she discovers that - I forget his name, too!! - is not a good guy, but rather evil scum.

And I'm looking forward to
    Navarro getting killed. I hope messily, painfully.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 6,396
    So,
    you wanted Chloe to be part of the bad guys? Just to be different. Well, she is now, but by mistake. She thinks that organization is promoting something good, little pseudo anarchists that they are, or whatever. I was sad because she is still married with a child waiting for her return from exile. I believe she is still true to doing good in the world and will come around when she discovers that - I forget his name, too!! - is not a good guy, but rather evil scum.
    Didn't Chloe tell Jack early on in this series, that Morris and her daughter were killed in a car crash?
    edited June 2014 Posts: 7,854
    So,
    Didn't Chloe tell Jack early on in this series, that Morris and her daughter were killed in a car crash?
    Yes, actually, she did. And it was her son, by the way. Still, yes, I wanted Chloe to have a moment like Tony did in season 7, when he killed Agent Moss. It would have been a great twist, and done great to cut Jack down emotionally. I just wanted it, and it would have been nice.
    Oh
    Hell, no, I did not catch that! How could I miss it? I thought she was in jail, got out, and was in exile but they were alive. Damn it! I wanted them to be alive. This sucks. Big time for me. Because I do like Chloe and I like her staying basically the same, a good guy character. :( I do not know how I missed that bit of dialog where she tells Jack that. Oh I really do not want her to turn into a Tony; besides that was done. One Tony is enough for me. I want one long running character to stay true, besides Jack. Crying into my breakfast tea now ...
    Chloe turning into a bad guy (girl) would have been a great change, because she's Jack's longest-running ally. It would have been a great twist.