The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

ToTheRight wrote: »
    @barryt007 , I might actually place this as my #6 as well, now.

Good man...!!
    Bond investigating stuff- Strangeway's office. I love seeing 007 do some detective work.
    I love Bond making adjustments to his suite- putting the hair on the closet door and so forth.
    HOLD IT...........gently bud, gently.
    Enthralled by DN I'm barely commenting this time.
    The beach section is my favorite portion of DN. Beautiful scenery and old school style adventure.
    The beach section is my favorite portion of DN. Beautiful scenery and old school style adventure.

One of DN's strong points is that it doesn't need to try to be big or have overly spectacle driven moments. The acting and writing pull you right into Bond's world and you have one of the best Bond performances in the series at the center of it.
    CrzChris4 wrote: »

One of DN's strong points is that it doesn't need to try to be big or have overly spectacle driven moments. The acting and writing pull you right into Bond's world and you have one of the best Bond performances in the series at the center of it.

Very true. It works well as a low key adventure. I imagine had it been done a few years later, say as the 3rd or 4th film, it might have been more elaborate. We'd probably get the giant squid by 1965 as the budgets for the Bonds were increasing. Still, as it is, I wouldn't change DN for anything. A great Bond film.
    The dinner scene with Bond and Dr No is a brilliant scene,just like TMWTGG,OP and FRWL dinner scenes
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    barryt007 wrote: »
    The dinner scene with Bond and Dr No is a brilliant scene,just like TMWTGG,OP and FRWL dinner scenes

Quite possibly one of my favorite scenes in the entire series. The dialogue between the two is just brilliant, with an air of uncertainty about the whole scene.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Quite possibly one of my favorite scenes in the entire series. The dialogue between the two is just brilliant, with an air of uncertainty about the whole scene.

Agreed..the sparring and subtle taunting that is in the banter is excellent,as well as Bond trying to hide the knife etc.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Agreed..the sparring and subtle taunting that is in the banter is excellent,as well as Bond trying to hide the knife etc.

Always attempting to one-up one another with their next line of dialogue, while Bond plays mind games and simultaneously attempts an escape/form of defense (the knife). It's all so brilliant.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited June 2017 Posts: 2,721
    Continuing my anniversary theme - I'm watching the twenty year anniversary Bond film - 1997's Tomorrow Never Dies. The opening is always one I forget. The opening titles are extremely nineties and the theme song is bland - particularly Sheryl Crow's vocals. Very monotone and mumbling. Brosnan on the other hand is looking good in this one. He's grown into the role since GE.
    The first three or four scenes after the title sequence are quite good. The problem here is carver. Brosnan really did get the short straw with his villains. Paris carver isn't quite as terrible as I remember - still would have preferred Monica Belluci rather than Teri Hatcher. But it doesn't make one iota of sense her going to Bond's room. Let alone her returning to Eliot. That could have been handled far better. Still like that idea of Paris actually having been Sylvia Trench. That could have been fun.
    Sylvia Trench would have been a good twist,but I wouldn't want to waste that character on Teri Hatcher.
    Sylvia Trench would have been a good twist,but I wouldn't want to waste that character on Teri Hatcher.

Agree 100% there Barry!
    The Kaufman scene married with remote control car chase is my favourite part of this film so far. Has some real dynamism and urgency and Brosnan's channeling of Roger Moore works here very well. He's having a lot of fun.
    The more I watch these Brosnans I think it's actually when he goes too dramatic where the problems arise. The scene with Paris in the hotel room idoesmt work. And it's only doubled down on with his pawing over her corpse. I don't mind the serious side - Moore did that well when required too - it's the emotional side that doesn't gel for me. If he kept to that Moore light hearted side it would work better I feel.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The first three or four scenes after the title sequence are quite good. The problem here is carver. Brosnan really did get the short straw with his villains. Paris carver isn't quite as terrible as I remember - still would have preferred Monica Belluci rather than Teri Hatcher. But it doesn't make one iota of sense her going to Bond's room. Let alone her returning to Eliot. That could have been handled far better. Still like that idea of Paris actually having been Sylvia Trench. That could have been fun.

Funny. TND is the only Brosnan film with decent villains for me (Carver and Kaufmann).
    Good point...Moore knew his strengths and weakness and used them well,Brosnan out-ranged himself with the emotional scenes sometimes.
    I find carver's exposition dumps artless - there are far too many of them and Craver never gets any quality banter exchange with Bond, he's also too quick to petty anger and panic.

Funny. TND is the only Brosnan film with decent villains for me (Carver and Kaufmann).

I can see that. I like Kaufman - but carver gets weary. I prefer the king/renard combo - particularly in the scheme of the plot.
    Michelle Yeoh is great - but while I like her as an actress (particularly in police story, crouching tiger and hero) here she doesn't have a connection with Bronsnan. I don't find it distracting though. They Just don't nail it as well as they could have.
    jeez - Jack wade isn't a welcome return here...although I do like his hurt line delivery of 'he didn't say goodbye' when Brosnan jumps out the plane.
    why didn't Wai Lin use her earring as a lockpick half an hour ago?
    Wade is simply there as a cut price Felix ,they didn't use Felix as he was mangled in LTK and this is the same storyline.
    not a fan of this era of bond machine gunning wantonly in warehouses. Happens about four separate times in this film.

Gotta say Brosnan is very good in some of these action scenes. He's really engaged in proceedings.
    Getting toward the end and actually this final sequence isn't too bad, really enjoying Brosnan making stampa think he's killed him by throwing a dead body in the water. Brosnan looks cool when he's holding Gupta at gunpoint. That's pretty Bondian cool.
    The pace of this film pulls it along quite nicely. Even if the actual plot doesn't really engage and dialogue is just awol in the script. Carver is in so many scenes and barely has a memorable line. But I gotta say I might have been a bit dismissive in the past of Brosnan in this film. He's one of the strengths. Carver death is satisfying - and stampa's final fight is quite tense.
    Well TND is wrapped up. the action is fairly relentless without too many of the sequences being gripping. Once again - I find that remote control car scene the most memorable. The bike scene is ok - feels a little staged - if that makes sense? There's something not quite right about it. Still TND isn't bad, and it rips along and Brosnan is good.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    [quote="Major_Boothroyd;751776" There's something not quite right about it. .[/quote]

The vertical chopper perhaps?