The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

Birdleson wrote: »
    Aside from the PTS and Title Sequence, neither of which I care for much at all (and the uncomfortable Moneypenny scene), the first 25 minutes of OP is about perfect. Of course, like most Glen films, the second half is bloated and marred by cheap gags and some pitiful action sequences (the chase through Agra, the raid on Kamal Khan's fortress, etc.). Though this, again as per usual with Glen films, is counter-balanced by some excellent stunt-work.

It's one of my favourite pts. Nothing to do with the main Story but extremely well put together and it doesn't have a silly payoff! Love the way Binder has the hands close as it segues into his titles. I like them too and the theme song is very under appreciated. It was on the radio the other day. Had to stop and listen. Like it a lot.
    Agree with you though about the Moneypenny scene. Maxwell looks terrible and don't get me started on Miss Smallbone!
    I know I'm almost alone, if not alone, in regards to the PTS, it's a favorite around here. I dislike everything about it. Not my least favorite Title Song or Title Sequence, but each is in my bottom three in their respective categories.

The Acrostar jet was supposed to appear in Moonraker I think. Wonder where it was supposed to fit in there?
    I just think the whole sequence is well produced and shot and clever and doesn't outstay it's welcome. And Rog also looks good in military uniform and I can't see any of the other Bond actors suiting it.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It s a great pts except for the rocket coming out of the horse s ass. One of the few that are standalone as well, unrelated to the rest of the film.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    I know I'm almost alone, if not alone, in regards to the PTS, it's a favorite around here. I dislike everything about it. Not my least favorite Title Song or Title Sequence, but each is in my bottom three in their respective categories.

I agree here. The acrostar is pretty cool, but it would have been much more impactful if the PTS was 009's death
    w2bond wrote: »

I agree here. The acrostar is pretty cool, but it would have been much more impactful if the PTS was 009's death

Well I don't see how Bond himself could have appeared if that were the case.
    And I much prefer that section (009's death) as the opener. In fact I think it's one of the best opening scenes to Bond movie. John Glen directs really well and it's stylishly shot by Alan Hume
    My newest viewing of SP begins. My last watch of it was the worst yet; here’s hoping for better today. MGM logo, Columbia logo, classic gunbarrel... save for the very end of it.
    I hate “The dead are alive” intro, but I do still love this PTS otherwise. It’s potentially in my Top 10 Bond PTSs. Sciarra is a cool minor villain.
    The reused SF tracks too hold it back unfortunately. But it’s too good of a setup to ignore. Also pretty cool is how Bond hardly says anything in the PTS.
    I don’t hate Writing’s on the Wall, but I do consider it one of the weaker Bond title songs. The credits are pretty cool though.
    I don’t like C at all. Craig is kind of awkward in that scene with C and M.

I do want to see Ralph Fiennes return as M. He deserves another shot. Just more in the background.
    I like Harris as Moneypenny, but they also misused her in SP. The point of her leaving field work at the end of SF is so she could be a classic, behind the scenes Moneypenny.

Oh and can we please just forget Tanner altogether? Most useless character.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I hate “The dead are alive” intro, but I do still love this PTS otherwise. It’s potentially in my Top 10 Bond PTSs. Sciarra is a cool minor villain.

It is a top notch pts.
    Of Q, Moneypenny, and M, I feel Q was the best used in SP. Him doing a couple moments of field work doesn’t bother me quite as much. What they gave him to do made the most sense for his character. With M and Moneypenny, it feels more forced.
    That segment in between the PTS and Rome is pretty blah. But these scenes in Rome I do mostly enjoy.
    I love the funeral bit. It’s very good.
    Lucia is a good Bond girl. Perhaps underused, yes, but still good.
    Felix reference is great, but we need an appearance for Bond 25. I seriously hope he does return.
    Craig = Mickey Mouse
    This SPECTRE meeting is the second huge highlight after the PTS.
    Craig = Mickey Mouse

Did he seriously think they would believe he was Mickey Mouse? And why would Mickey Mouse be invited to a SPECTRE meeting? My illusions about Mickey are broken.
    hqdefault.jpg
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 12,256
    Sadly, a great sequence gets followed by a lackluster car chase. Not a horrible scene, just not very good unfortunately. I do laugh when Craig yells “No” at the music.
    “Of course! Mr. White!”

Yes it’s bad delivery. But I was still hyped to see White again in the theater. Of all the old things to revisit from Craig’s first 3, White was by far the best choice in SP.
    I enjoy the whole sequence, except the "Of course!!! MR WHITE!!!!"
    Very meh for my taste. Ugh C is so annoying.
    M is going to have Q’s balls for Christmas decorations...
    Very meh for my taste. Ugh C is so annoying.

Agreed. He gives C vitamins a bad name.
    Scene at Mr. White’s house. My favorite part of the film. Giving White an arc and wrapping up his character was absolutely one of the best decisions made in SP. He is one of my favorite Bond villains without question.
    White’s suicide is the most earned and legitimate emotional moment SP shot for. It really is a special scene and elevates this film all on its own. Still gets to me.
    The clinic gives me Piz Gloria vibes.
    “Stay!”

It doesn’t even really work but I like when Craig does that. It’s funny.