Blade Runner 2049/Blade Runner 2099 Live-Action Sequel Series Discussion

Comments

• edited January 2017 Posts: 6,844
    Good to see journalists are ever so reliably not doing their homework as usual. When the article mentioned "one of four" replicants, I figured they were for some reason not counting Rachael or Deckard, but rather the four replicants that successfully escaped to Earth. Nope. Apparently Zhora and Leon have been forgotten about completely.

Anyway, it's obviously not Deckard since Harrison Ford is in the film himself.

My gut is telling me it'll be Batty or Pris, purely for how iconic they are visually. Then again, since they are going full CGI instead of de-aging an actor like with Anthony Hopkins in Westworld, might it be Leon, as Brion James sadly has passed?

Oh yeah, terrible idea by the way. A full CGI character in a Blade Runner film? I have yet to see how that worked out in Rogue One, but the very idea of it just makes me shudder.

I like this remark from the comments section:

More CGI to recreate old performances?

"Yeah, yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should."
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 5,767
    Anyway, it's obviously not Deckard since Harrison Ford is in the film himself.
    The article mentions a theory according to which there could be a real Deckard and a replicant Deckard. I don´t see how the original film should provide a basis for such kind of theory. Has anybody ever heard of this theory?

Anyway, I´m highly disturbed by the notion of Villeneuve of all people using a CGI character. Not to mention a CGI character in a Blade Runner film.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I bet it s Rachel. Nothing else makes any sense.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 3,333
    I have to admit I'm quite looking forward to this one, despite the absence of Ridley Scott. I wonder whether it'll get universally panned by critics and joe public like the original did back in 82? My guess is it will, and then in another 20 years it will be reassessed and hailed a masterpiece. That's why you should never take critics comments as Gospel, folks. On a side note, I do recall hunting down cinema reshowings of BR in the Eighties, wanting very much to see it again on the big screen after its initial release rather than on VHS. The Scala cinema in Kings Cross used to show this a lot at midnight showings. Ah, dem were da days. A lot of pot smoking by Goths going on while watching BR as I recall.
    Scott is producer, so not entirely absent.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Edward James Olmos confirms his return as Gaff for a single scene in 'Blade Runner 2049':

http://www.slashfilm.com/blade-runner-2049-edward-james-olmos/
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm truly excited for this film now, like really hyped up.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I'm truly excited for this film now, like really hyped up.

You and I both. In the hands of anyone else, I doubt I'd be anywhere near this optimistic and excited. Villeneuve has more than gained my trust, and if the trailers didn't display that fact already, Deakins will make one beautiful looking film.

Also, I found the sound effects in the recent trailers encouraging. Very Vangelis soundingl
    Also, I found the sound effects in the recent trailers encouraging. Very Vangelis soundingl

Indeed!

I still have you to thank for setting me on the right path to experiencing 'Blade Runner,' the Final Cut in particular. Now it's easily Top 3 Sci-Fi Films, in my opinion.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    bondsum wrote: »
    I have to admit I'm quite looking forward to this one, despite the absence of Ridley Scott. I wonder whether it'll get universally panned by critics and joe public like the original did back in 82? My guess is it will, and then in another 20 years it will be reassessed and hailed a masterpiece. That's why you should never take critics comments as Gospel, folks. On a side note, I do recall hunting down cinema reshowings of BR in the Eighties, wanting very much to see it again on the big screen after its initial release rather than on VHS. The Scala cinema in Kings Cross used to show this a lot at midnight showings. Ah, dem were da days. A lot of pot smoking by Goths going on while watching BR as I recall.

Ah the good old Scala! A really rough place and you could hear and feel the trains passing underneath the place!

I saw BR at a special screening in Shaftsbury Avenue in 82 when I was 16.

I knew coming out of that showing I had seen something really visionary.

I just hope the new film retains the spirit of Phillip K Dick's work.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Indeed!

I still have you to thank for setting me on the right path to experiencing 'Blade Runner,' the Final Cut in particular. Now it's easily Top 3 Sci-Fi Films, in my opinion.

I consider that a true honour, @Creasy47. When I got the chance to watch BR TFC in theatres last year, I nearly cried during the Rutger Hauer monologue at the end of the film.

Damn, that must've been quite the experience, @DarthDimi. Can't imagine how that film looks in theaters.
    To be honest, @Creasy47, we've been so 'spoiled' -- I'm not even sure that's the correct term -- by modern effects, it takes a while to re-adjust one's appreciation of pre-CGI era visuals. But the minute that exceptionally detailed maquette of the Tyrell corp. pyramid grabs the frame, one experiences something our generation simply doesn't know anymore: the pure brilliance of some of the best practical artists in the history of film.

For this reason, I truly hope I'll get the chance to experience 2001: A Space Odyssey on a large screen next year, when this wonderful film celebrates its 50th birthday.
    I couldn't agree more. It's always jaw-dropping, those first few moments when the film kicks off and we're treated to some absolutely gorgeous looking, colorful skylines and buildings. Brilliantly done.

I'm also happy to know that Villeneuve said he could count on one hand how much green screen/CGI usage was involved. He wanted it to be as practical looking as possible. I'm sure there's some computer work he didn't mention that extends landscapes and whatnot, but that's typically something you don't notice. Really looking forward to this movie.
    I've said it before, if Villeneuve pulls this one off, he ends up in that select club of top-directors I worship: Hitchcock, Nolan, Fincher, Kubrick, Spielberg and Mann.

Prisoners, Enemy, Sicario and Arrival are all nearly flawless films in my opinion. Villeneuve can do little wrong at this point. But BR is sensitive stuff for me. So the outcome of this will decide a lot.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    To be honest, @Creasy47, we've been so 'spoiled' -- I'm not even sure that's the correct term -- by modern effects, it takes a while to re-adjust one's appreciation of pre-CGI era visuals. But the minute that exceptionally detailed maquette of the Tyrell corp. pyramid grabs the frame, one experiences something our generation simply doesn't know anymore: the pure brilliance of some of the best practical artists in the history of film.

For this reason, I truly hope I'll get the chance to experience 2001: A Space Odyssey on a large screen next year, when this wonderful film celebrates its 50th birthday.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more. It's always jaw-dropping, those first few moments when the film kicks off and we're treated to some absolutely gorgeous looking, colorful skylines and buildings. Brilliantly done.

I'm also happy to know that Villeneuve said he could count on one hand how much green screen/CGI usage was involved. He wanted it to be as practical looking as possible. I'm sure there's some computer work he didn't mention that extends landscapes and whatnot, but that's typically something you don't notice. Really looking forward to this movie.

The work that Effects Maestro Doug put into those skylines is just awe-inspiring. Puts many other members of the craft to shame.
    @DarthDimi, I've heard one of his earlier films called 'Incendies' is a must see. I still need to check it out eventually.
    @Creasy47, I'm with you on that. I'll try to have Incendies watched very soon.
    The sound effects were in part lifted from the original film.

@boldfinger, Yes, and the fact that they are helps me to hope that they really are trying to keep things within the spirit of the original. :-)
    I also hope they use more of the book.
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 5,767
    @boldfinger, Yes, and the fact that they are helps me to hope that they really are trying to keep things within the spirit of the original. :-)
    @DarthDimi, I really try to keep my spirits up for this film, and the trailer already looks so damn good I´ll be there opening day, just out of curiosity, and if it should suck I´ll watch my BR br five times in a row. The thing with trailer music is, how much of it has actually to do with the finished film, and how much is just made by the trailer company? I must admit, beside the singled-out sound bits from the original film, there is at least one bit that is not taken just like that, but interwoven with some new music or re-recorded (it starts at 1:06 in the 1:47 trailer), and that is really intriguing.

@Thunderfinger, I've read the book and I must admit that PKD is not on my shortlist of "great" science fiction authors. I like some of his stories, especially some of his shorts, but half the time I'm really confused over what the hell he's talking about. I have already thoroughly enjoyed many of his works, but he's no Clarke or Asimov in my opinion. Take Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep for instance. It's not a bad book, but I'm eternally thankful to Francher and Peoples for their script, omitting several key elements from the novel such as that entire thing about Mercerism. The essence of the book was copied only in very broad stokes and the film script delivered something much closer to my liking. In that sense, I hope the sequel will be closer to the 1982 film than to the 1968 book.

@boldfinger, you're right. We can always fall back on the amazing original should the sequel let us down. I have a lot of faith in Villeneuve though. He'll deliver. ;-)
    @Thunderfinger, I've read the book and I must admit that PKD is not on my shortlist of "great" science fiction authors. I like some of his stories, especially some of his shorts, but half the time I'm really confused over what the hell he's talking about. I have already thoroughly enjoyed many of his works, but he's no Clarke or Asimov in my opinion. Take Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep for instance. It's not a bad book, but I'm eternally thankful to Francher and Peoples for their script, omitting several key elements from the novel such as that entire thing about Mercerism. The essence of the book was copied only in very broad stokes and the film script delivered something much closer to my liking. In that sense, I hope the sequel will be closer to the 1982 film than to the 1968 book.

@boldfinger, you're right. We can always fall back on the amazing original should the sequel let us down. I have a lot of faith in Villeneuve though. He'll deliver. ;-)
    Just to pull out the sceptic again, I was pretty disappointed by Arrival after the amazing Sicario. But again, the impression I get from the BR 2049 trailer is that it´s not going to be comparable to either of those two films.

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Villeneuve is the reason I'm so excited for this, if it had been Ridley I'd be a hell of a lot more cautious.

Lets face it he's well past his prime and his films for sometime have not been great, the recent Alien Covenant trailer has me very worried that all we are going to get is a mish mash of Alien, Aliens & Prometheus and not done very originally.

Villeneuve at least has not disappointed (yet to see Arrival) and Incendies is superb the ending is a real gut punch and definitely up there with Scicario which is my favourite of his so far.

I believe Villeneuve has far more chance of this being good than if Ridley was directing.
    Filmmakers change too, and when they return to a project they left behind decades ago, I'm naturally cautious. Spielberg and Lucas with Crystal Skull, Scott with Prometheus, Lucas with Star Wars, ... They typically deliver good looking, expensive films that expertly put every dollar on the screen, but the sharp edges are gone. The sparks of ingenuity and innovative thinking were extinguished aeons ago. Scott delivered a beautiful film with Prometheus, but whatever story he was trying to tell with that film, it didn't come off as anything original. A long, extensive search through a derelict ship with many traps and hazards lurking in the dark, isn't anything new any more. Scott's own ALIEN helped us to reach a higher level of sophistication. We still love the film that showed us new things, but we'll be a lot harsher on the film that simply repeats the same beats.

Younger filmmakers, like Villeneuve, are still pushing the barrier for themselves. They want to add something rather than rely on the rote of by-the-book filmmaking. Whether by exploring new intellectual grounds or by imposing a new technical marvel or some new stylish elements on a film, their attempts at coming up with something fresh is what makes them the better choice for a highly anticipated franchise film. So if Scott had been announced as the director of this Blade Runner sequel, I too might have been concerned. Villeneuve's involvement, however, brings the promise of a potential winner. He now simply has a better chance of being what Scott was like in 1979, whereas Scott himself is so not that filmmaker any more.
    @Shardlake, @DarthDimi, I couldn´t agree more.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    To be honest I was very sceptical of this sequel but having Villeneuve in the driving seat is making it one of my must sees of the year.

I'm tremendously excited for this, the original is a masterpiece the same as Alien but I wish Ridley would let someone else have a shot at directing instead of himself.

He's better producing, he's attached himself to some quality product, Taboo for instance, he's exec on that and that turned out brilliantly.

I just think he's got a great visual eye, no one is denying him that but the finished product leaves a lot to be desired, I mean the Counsellor what was that all about?

He should stick to producing from now on.