Blade Runner 2049/Blade Runner 2099 Live-Action Sequel Series Discussion

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Good call, @DaltonCraig007 !

I want my Nexus 6 pleasure model. ;-)
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    As of today, Blade Runner (1982) is no longer set in the future.

Is it ever revealed what month it’s set in
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    As of today, Blade Runner (1982) is no longer set in the future.

Is it ever revealed what month it’s set in

November.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    We still got time, then.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited November 2019 Posts: 15,690
    Blade Runner (1982) takes place on November 20th, 2019*.

* The exact date is given in Blade Runner 2049.
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 5,767
    Time

to celebrate.

Excellent. I'll be buying a flying car, an extra pair of eyes and some snakeskin today. Meanwhile, I'll start learning my new Japanese - English - French city lingo. And I'm preparing a Void Kampf test for my girlfriend... you know, because you can never be sure.

"Just answer the question, please, honey. I show you a picture of a naked girl and -- hey, come back here! Hey, we haven't even talked about the tortoise yet. Tortoise! It's like a turtle. A turtle!"

Excuse me, fellas. I've got some domestic issues to resolve.
    Blade Runner (1982) takes place on November 20th, 2019*.

* The exact date is given in Blade Runner 2049.

I suppose I know what I'll be watching today.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Any thoughts on a possible third film? Rumour has it that Scott wants to make another one. I'm not sure I'm buying that, though.
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 5,767
    I would be very wary of that if it´s true. It was a heck of an achievement that they didn´t embarrass themselves with 2049. To make a third one in the foreseeable future would be spectacularly ambitious.

And of course it´s always in the back of the head what Scott made out of his Alien franchise recently.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2019 Posts: 15,690
    If a 3rd Blade Runner film were to happen, I'd only accept Denis Villeneuve directing it again. His track record is perfect so far. If his upcoming Dune adaptation is another brilliant film, I will struggle to think of any project that Villeneuve couldn't make a masterpiece out of.
    edited January 2020 Posts: 15,690
    Denis Villeneuve wants to ‘revisit’ the world of Blade Runner, as long as it isn't a direct sequel.

"It’s such an inspiring place, the Blade Runner world. The problem I have is the word ‘sequel’. I think cinema needs original stories. But if you ask me if I’d like to revisit this universe in a different way, I can say yes. It would need to be a project on its own. Something disconnected from both other movies. A detective noir story set in the future… I wake up sometimes in the night dreaming about it.”

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/denis-villeneuve-wants-to-revisit-the-world-of-blade-runner-exclusive/
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 5,767
    Denis Villeneuve wants to ‘revisit’ the world of Blade Runner, as long as it isn't a direct sequel.

"It’s such an inspiring place, the Blade Runner world. The problem I have is the word ‘sequel’. I think cinema needs original stories. But if you ask me if I’d like to revisit this universe in a different way, I can say yes. It would need to be a project on its own. Something disconnected from both other movies. A detective noir story set in the future… I wake up sometimes in the night dreaming about it.”

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/denis-villeneuve-wants-to-revisit-the-world-of-blade-runner-exclusive/
    Wise words from Villeneuve there. If that would really come true, I´d be the happiest fella on earth.
    I think there is great potential for another, fresh story withn the "World of Bladerunner" but the original story is done. It's very predicatable but a female Bladerunner?
    edited January 2020 Posts: 15,690
    patb wrote: »
    I think there is great potential for another, fresh story withn the "World of Bladerunner" but the original story is done. It's very predicatable but a female Bladerunner?

Given how strong & fleshed out the female characters are in Villeneuve's films (Emily Blunt in Sicario, Amy Adams in Arrival), this is a great idea.
    I dont think it was planned that way but you have a team of "goodguys" and a team of "bad guys" with huge potential for twists, crossovers etc etc within a fully formed fictional World that will call back to the original. There is huge potential for a whole series of stories. Rather like Alien/Aliens, I think there is also potential to lighten the whole thing with a little more humour, more action and less darkness.

Excellent! Go for it, Denis.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Anything DV wants to do I'm there.

I'm more excited about Dune because of him not that I'm bothered about the book or a worthy adaptation, it is Denis that will get me in the cinema.
    Shardlake wrote: »

I'm more excited about Dune because of him not that I'm bothered about the book or a worthy adaptation, it is Denis that will get me in the cinema.

Same here. Totally agreed!
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 5,767
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Shardlake wrote: »

Same here. Totally agreed!
    Yes, pretty much that. I'm not a fan of every film he made, and I sure won't start reading Dune now, but I see no way around this film once I will have watched the trailer.
    Very cool t-shirt that Mark Kermode is wearing in his weekly movie reviews:

Capture-d-e-cran-2020-07-25-a-07-17-55.png
    Always loved that interview with the two. Everyone's having a lot of fun.
    edited February 2022 Posts: 40,452
    Now this is exciting:

Blade Runner 2099 live-action sequel series in the works at Amazon. Ridley Scott will executive produce and sources say he may even direct if the series moves forward:

https://deadline.com/2022/02/blade-runner-2099-sequel-series-ridley-scott-amazon-1234931521/
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Now this is exciting:

Blade Runner 2099 live-action sequel series in the works at Amazon. Ridley Scott will executive produce and sources say he may even direct if the series moves forward:

https://deadline.com/2022/02/blade-runner-2099-sequel-series-ridley-scott-amazon-1234931521/

Okay, yeah, this sounds really good. The Expanse just ended on Amazon, and they did right by it. Faith is high.
    I thought this one was rather funny. 😉

7rkq3gi39fvc.jpg
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    RealPlayer, now that's a blast from the past.
    Forgot there was a thread dedicated to this franchise! BR and BR2049 are both two all-time favorites for me, and though I prefer the original, I can easily say 2049 is one of the best sequels ever. Sad that the future of movies for it looks bleak, but I hope the show is great.