Blade Runner 2049/Blade Runner 2099 Live-Action Sequel Series Discussion

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    jake24 wrote: »
    As much as I love both films, I don't know of I'd be interested in a third installment. Just wouldn't be the same without Ford.

True, but tackling the angle of the humans vs. Replicants would be very interesting. I wouldn't mind seeing a new cast come in, sans a couple of returning characters, to finish things up.

Having said that, if we never got a third film, I'd be OK with it. While 2049 is a bit open-ended in terms of the overall story, it feels quite complete at the same time.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    See i probably wouldn’t be okay if we never got a third one because 2049 very much feels like the first part in a two part story.

Rebellion is just getting started
    Deckard just got back in action
    Wallace is still at large

And not to mention there is more to explore in this universe.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I'd love to see Mackenzie Davis return as Mariette; great costume design, great acting and it would be cool if she became a main protagonist in a future film.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Happy Birthday Leon :-)!

Luv is great. At first I found her a bit bland, but she grows on me with each viewing. As does the whole film by the way.

Absolutely. Film gets better every time. Makes me long for a blade runner 3 to give us more Leto and perhaps an off world experience.
    I´m afraid an off-world experience would be the greatest risk they could take. They managed two times to successfully get away with merely mentioning but not showing it, which only generates the weirdest imaginations of how those off-world places might be. And then getting another dull rendition of a sci-fi world would be so devastating.

I like how much ambivalence they managed to put also in this sequel. People complained about Wallace being too one-dimensional, but he is so beautifully deluded. As are the resistance group of replicants too. They are very quick to want a rebellion on the base of one of them giving birth to a child. Now imagine: They are possibly more in number than the original humans. Imagine they take over. Then they discover Rachael was the only one fertile. Then after 30 or 40 years they die out. What a way to end a rebellion. This gives the scenes where K meets them a nice openness.

jake24 wrote: »
    As much as I love both films, I don't know of I'd be interested in a third installment. Just wouldn't be the same without Ford.
    While I found Ford´s performance in 2049 his best in the last 20 years, I don´t think 2049 needed Ford (I also think SW TFA did plenty fine also before Ford showed up), but I fear there would be no problem incorporating Ford and Deckard into a further installment. Unless of course it would be set and produced 30 years on.

• 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 5,185
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I am going to buy it as well as soon as I find it. Best movie of 2017.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited April 2018 Posts: 10,588
    Bought it on 4K. Watched it to death.
    I must be lucky then that I bought it on ordinary br, because I´m still alive and can watch it more often.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Maybe this is old news, and if so, forgive me, but I have just learned that Jóhann Jóhannsson's death is now attributed to cocaine overdose combined with medication. While I have nothing against Zimmer's score, I must admit that I was rather looking forward to Jóhann Jóhannsson's take on BR.
    @DarthDimi, no I don´t think this is old news, at least not for me. Last I heard, I think there was no cause mentioned at all.
    As long as I have the remote in my hand to turn the volume up and down accordingly, I have nothing against the official score, which is btw not by Zimmer alone, but also by Benjamin Wallfisch (if that makes any difference).
    Nevertheless, I too would be very interested in hearing Jóhannson´s music for the film. Perhaps there is enough music to be released somehow some day, better sooner than later.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @boldfinger and @DarthDimi the final score made by Jóhann Jóhannsson was for Mandy, which is due to be released this September.

• edited July 2018 Posts: 19,339
    I watched about 40 mins of this and gave up...it showed promise with the fight with Dave Bautista but after that,no thanks.

I didn't get on with the first film either so it wasn't surprising.

These films are just not films for me.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited July 2018 Posts: 8,083
    I have this taped and wanted to know if it is worthy a watch, cause it's really long. Never watched any Blade runner, but know the gist of the first film through osmosis.
  • I have this taped and wanted to know if it is worthy a watch, cause it's really long. Never watched any Blade runner, but know the gist of the first film through osmosis.

Your time would be much better spent watching the original Blade Runner.

But 2049 is a beautiful film to look at and let wash over you. If you are going to invest the time, I recommend watching it late in the evening in a calm and relaxed state on a big screen and with ample whiskey to help motivate a contemplative state of mind.
    edited July 2018 Posts: 40,463
    I have this taped and wanted to know if it is worthy a watch, cause it's really long. Never watched any Blade runner, but know the gist of the first film through osmosis.

If you know the basic happenings of the first one, I'd give this a go, but would still recommend checking out the first one beforehand. The original can't be topped, but the sequel is still excellent. If anything, you should at least see it to admire Deakins' work.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Thanks guys. It's too late to watch tonight, I'll fit it in for another evening sometime this week hopefully.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I just ordered 2049 on 4K disc and can't wait to revisit it.

@Mendes4Lyfe, like others I think you should give the first one a go before taking on the sequel. It's much shorter and I feel more dynamic than the sequel, which is slower paced. Essential viewing imho. I recommend seeing both in the best format you can get your hands on though. These are beautifully lensed films. Visual feasts.
    bondjames wrote: »

@Mendes4Lyfe, like others I think you should give the first one a go before taking on the sequel. It's much shorter and I feel more dynamic than the sequel, which is slower paced. Essential viewing imho. I recommend seeing both in the best format you can get your hands on though. These are beautifully lensed films. Visual feasts.

Get you the original on 4K if you haven't yet. Honestly, it's like watching it for the first time - the amount of detail and subtleties I picked up on was simply stunning.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Get you the original on 4K if you haven't yet. Honestly, it's like watching it for the first time - the amount of detail and subtleties I picked up on was simply stunning.
    I can believe it. I've been keeping a look out for a reasonably priced copy and will pounce when I see it.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I can believe it. I've been keeping a look out for a reasonably priced copy and will pounce when I see it.

It's more than worth it, hopefully you can pick it up soon. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the overall presentation of it.
    Both films are relatively slow. BR (1982) is notoriously one of those films you'll get into more with subsequent viewings. Few people fall in love with it instantly. It tends to be called incomprehensible. Many make the mistake of expecting Ford to be like Han or Indy chasing robots. BR is anything but. It's like 2001: a visual experience, but then with the veil of a futuristic film noir pulled over it. Deckard, when you assess him properly, isn't even a likeable character! BR defies conventions in more than one way and leaves many viewers confused and angry. Only when willing to commit to the film in a way more closely related to how one experiences a series of paintings, you can allow BR to become "your thing". But once it HAS become "your thing", you'll love it like a first-born child.

Having seen that film dozens of times, including a theatrical viewing of the final cut, having read the book as well as the making of, ... BR2049 fulfilled all my hopes and expectations of a sequel. I didn't want things clarified or answered. I didn't even need "myth building" or some such thing. All I wanted was to enter a sacred temple of visual and atmospheric marvels, and that's precisely what I got. It still is a "future noir" event, taking wild liberties with unclear symbols and metaphors so that we can interpret things and emotionally connect with things any which way we like. I tend to gravitate towards such films, which no doubt explains why BR and 2001 are my favourite films of all time.

I'm not saying everyone should love and embrace BR. The original and its sequel remain fairly "niche". I'm also well aware of the cruel fact that a film "you will only like upon multiple viewings" isn't a very inviting one. In fact, it sounds a lot like developing a smoking habit. ;) All I can say is that after my first viewing of BR ever, I decided never to return to this jolted mess again. Within a month, I found myself yearning for a return to it. The DVD boxset allowed me to watch several versions of the film, which I have, multiple times. The film jumped from "huh?" to "wow" to "this . is . amazing!" in no time. I always thought a sequel would be impossible to make, but when I left the theatre last October, I felt satisfied, happy, excited. And much like the original, the sequel has kept growing on me with multiple viewings. It differs quite a bit in tone and content from the original too, so I don't have to slavishly repeat the Internet mantra "yeah, well, it's not the first film so I'm going to hate it". In some ways, this "sequel" isn't exactly a sequel. It's mostly another character's story, set in a different era and visually expressed--or rather "impressed"--in a different way by Villeneuve than Scott.

I love both films, but I can understand why the first and/or the second BR has the power to push people away.
    I can never praise you enough for getting me on the right track by introducing me to The Final Cut of the original the first time I ever fired it up, @DarthDimi. Now it's one of my favorite films of all time.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    All this talk made me have to revisit BR for the third time

The first time I thought it was average, I didn’t quite understand it, I respected it but didn’t think it hit what it wanted to

Second viewing and I fell in love with this film and universe. I understood the story and themes better and really enjoyed it. It moved from a 6- and 9 out of ten

Now while I still like the film and think it’s a great showcasing of special effects and a universe and its fun to rewatch. I didn’t realize how bloody slow this film is until this viewing and I mean really slow. I don’t know why i didn’t find it so the first. Anyway it’s still a 9 but it’s moved to the category of films that are really good but also really slow
  • Anyway it’s still a 9 but it’s moved to the category of films that are really good but also really slow

Sort of like a tortoise, if you know what that is.

You do know what a tortoise is, don’t you, @JamesBondKenya?
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 5,767
    @boldfinger and @DarthDimi the final score made by Jóhann Jóhannsson was for Mandy, which is due to be released this September.

@DaltonCraig007, I didn´t know that, thanks. One reason more to go see Mandy. I found the Trailer already intriguing.

As much as those two films have similarities, they are quite different films indeed. I´m not sure if liking or disliking the original film says anything about the reception of BR2049. Both films are similar in that you just have to watch them and then let them sink in and see if anything keeps coming back. I wasn´t too fond of BR2049 after two viewings at the cinema, but then after a while when the br came out, I wanted to see it again. And even then, I didn´t manage to watch it from start to end at first. But it kept coming back, and now I´m in love with it.
    That's the funny part of it all. It seems few people like BR or BR 2049 the first time they see it. Many will give the film(s) a try and never return to it. But a stable fanbase remains. And these are the people who will continue to discover new things; from film students analysing the films frame per frame, to fans of impressionistic filmmaking in which storytelling and character development are less important that audio-visual splendour.

When Villeneuve was tasked with making a sequel, he was wise to make a film which is as much a sequel as it is a standalone experience; he was, in fact, very wise to bring back the very thing that rolls off people's tongues first when they mention BR: "oooh, slow movie but great visuals". Had Michael Bay made a BR sequel--and I will happily defend Bay anywhere else--with loud action and a teenager's idea of a good story being told like in his Transformers films, I would have gone berserk. But I had every bit of confidence in Villeneuve that he wouldn't let me or other BR fans down. And that's precisely the reason why I wasn't expecting this film to bring home much more than 200 mill at best. BR 2049 just isn't that kind of a movie. It will have done its job when in 15 years from now, people who were a tad too young to see the film last October will cry out how much they love it. It wouldn't have been a good BR sequel had it made 800 million at the BO because no "good" BR film has the power to generate those returns.

Lastly, I'm a failed BR fan in some ways too. The source novel just doesn't do it for me. But then most works by PK Dick don't do it for me, apart from a few short stories. I'm more into Asimov and Clarke than I am into Dick. His drug-induced egg yolks of stories are almost inaccessible to a sober guy like me. I'm at least very happy that Fancher and Peoples translated his Electric Sheep allegories into something filmable and, in fact, into a different experience entirely. BR has little left of what Dick put in his novel, and I'm glad for it. So I'm altogether not ashamed to admit that DADOES left me cold both times I read it. The film adaptation has surpassed the source novel, the starting point as it were, with considerable ease for me. Also, when you think about some of the ideas they were exploring before finally settling for Fancher and Peoples' script, it's amazing we actually got what we got. At one point, BR was in its entirety going to be two guys sitting in one room...
    Milovy wrote: »
    Blade Runner 2049 is practically made for fan editing. There's so much material, it's like they cut nothing from it. I'm probably going to do an edit rescoring most of the movie with Vangelis. It will be shorter as well - either an abridged version of the film's story, or a new narrative focused entirely on Gosling with no appearance by Ford. I'm sure there will be other fan edits by other people, too.

I did end up editing Blade Runner 2049, with the goal of rescoring the movie with new music by Vangelis. It's not necessarily an improvement on the original movie, just a new take on the material. Here's a trailer:

More info: https://ifdb.fanedit.org/blade-runner-2049-new-vangelis-cut/

If anyone wants to watch, just shoot me a PM.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    That works, too. Nice job.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2019 Posts: 15,690
    As of today, Blade Runner (1982) is no longer set in the future.