Blade Runner 2049/Blade Runner 2099 Live-Action Sequel Series Discussion

Comments

• mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    2010 was so bad it retroactively made 2001 a better film in my mind. Even though it’s still a pretentious load of shite
    So you didn't like it then! :))
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    What’s the significance of both BR films starting with someone’s eye, a replicants perhaps?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    What’s the significance of both BR films starting with someone’s eye, a replicants perhaps?

I think 2049 was just attempting to replicate the classic opening of the original; eyes played a very big part in that one. Not sure about 2049, I haven't seen it approximately 9,000 times like I have the 1982 version.
    One relevant thing in 2049 for sure is the barcode in the replicants' eye for identification. It's actually more relevant than the eye in BR, which I find still enigmatic.

I must say the film seems to grow on me. I wasn't too mezmerized in the cinema, and on br I felt bored at some point, but the next day I wanted to watch the rest and enjoyed it. Especially Luv, her fight movements are very beautiful, and the way she kisses K before dropping him into the water is gorgeous.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I think 2049 was just attempting to replicate the classic opening of the original; eyes played a very big part in that one.

And in SPECTRE.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    One relevant thing in 2049 for sure is the barcode in the replicants' eye for identification. It's actually more relevant than the eye in BR, which I find still enigmatic.

I must say the film seems to grow on me. I wasn't too mezmerized in the cinema, and on br I felt bored at some point, but the next day I wanted to watch the rest and enjoyed it. Especially Luv, her fight movements are very beautiful, and the way she kisses K before dropping him into the water is gorgeous.

100% agree. I came out of the cinema very bored and disappointed, because of the world and the visuals I gave the film a 5/10. However, after about 3 months I had this weird excitement to return to the film even though I didn’t like it that much and when I rewatched it, it just clicked for me and it jumped straight to an 8/10.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Yes, even though I personally can do without ever seeing it again, I think its popularity will only increase with time.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

100% agree. I came out of the cinema very bored and disappointed, because of the world and the visuals I gave the film a 5/10. However, after about 3 months I had this weird excitement to return to the film even though I didn’t like it that much and when I rewatched it, it just clicked for me and it jumped straight to an 8/10.
    It's sort of done the opposite with me. I enjoyed it more first time in the theatre but wasn't so enthralled with it upon a more recent revisit. It came down to knowing about the 'K arc'. First time out we think he could be human. On subsequent viewings we know the truth, so the whole search for origins doesn't quite resonate as much for me, including the 'big reveal'.

Still, visually fantastic outing and Luv was indeed superb as a villain.
    @JamesBondKenya, I think it helps a lot that I can dial the sound up and down at home ;-). I found the score in more than one place overly intrusive in the cinema.
    I just feel so bad that it bombed because I would really have liked to see a third one of these
    I just feel so bad that it bombed because I would really have liked to see a third one of these

Never say never - the first one wasn't a box office success, either. Maybe they'll take a crack at continuing the story some day, albeit with a lower budget.

I do like the humans vs. Replicants storyline they were hinting at near the end.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited March 2018 Posts: 1,756
    I watched the film 6 times in cinema, and it's probably still my favourite cinematic experience ever, along with seeing Skyfall in the cinema. Just remembering being in the theater, the opening, Flight to LAPD, the sea wall fight, the shock of the twist... it's a cinema lover's wet dream, honestly, it's so good.

There is something very special about the film, that is difficult to put my finger on. Perhaps as a 20 something year old who struggles to find a path for himself, it's very easy for myself to sympathize with not only K, but with the entire mood of the world they built. To me, the personal connection it made with me, elevated it drastically in my mind. Everything is top notch.

Also, I never got nostalgic for the original, as I only saw it twice before experiencing 2049 on the big screen, so maybe that's why I'm more partial towards it. Maybe someone who got to experience the original might be disappointed because it didn't revive those fond memories of the original.

RE: the soundtrack, it's gorgeous. I mean, the original soundtrack is beautiful, but so is this one.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 5,767
    I watched the film 6 times in cinema, and it's probably still my favourite cinematic experience ever, along with seeing Skyfall in the cinema. Just remembering being in the theater, the opening, Flight to LAPD, the sea wall fight, the shock of the twist... it's a cinema lover's wet dream, honestly, it's so good.

There is something very special about the film, that is difficult to put my finger on. Perhaps as a 20 something year old who struggles to find a path for himself, it's very easy for myself to sympathize with not only K, but with the entire mood of the world they built. To me, the personal connection it made with me, elevated it drastically in my mind. Everything is top notch.

Also, I never got nostalgic for the original, as I only saw it twice before experiencing 2049 on the big screen, so maybe that's why I'm more partial towards it. Maybe someone who got to experience the original might be disappointed because it didn't revive those fond memories of the original.

RE: the soundtrack, it's gorgeous. I mean, the original soundtrack is beautiful, but so is this one.
    @dominicgreene, the only thing that I could connect to nostalgia would be the music. Apart from that I have the deepest respect and enthusiasm for 2049 for not being nostalgic but consistently going down its own path. Otherwise I think I couldn´t enjoy it at all. The reason it takes me long to get into the soundtrack is because it really does a good job at enhancing the coldness of the atmosphere. One big thing about the original for me is that the soundtrack brings warmth into a very cold world. And this time the soundtrack makes it even more cold. And that is not much of a nostalgic thing for me, but my general preference of movies. But I think I´m starting to get to it :-).

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

Excellent analysis and definitely rings true for me as well.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    bondjames wrote: »

It's sort of done the opposite with me. I enjoyed it more first time in the theatre but wasn't so enthralled with it upon a more recent revisit. It came down to knowing about the 'K arc'. First time out we think he could be human. On subsequent viewings we know the truth, so the whole search for origins doesn't quite resonate as much for me, including the 'big reveal'.

Still, visually fantastic outing and Luv was indeed superb as a villain.

Agreed. Apart from the visuals the story doesn't stand up to repeat viewing.

Plus there are some lapses in logic that the prevent the film ever being a stonewall classic.
    It was highly anticipated by me prior to release, but I was hugely disappointed in it!
    Would have been on my 'have to purchase' blu ray lists before. Now that it's out am not going to bother!
    Well this took a turn. After release I thought I was the only one who hated it. Now i think I’m the only one who likes it.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Well this took a turn. After release I thought I was the only one who hated it. Now i think I’m the only one who likes it.

It's a rehash of what happened to the original. It released to very mixed opinions.

Ultimately I think it's a vastly misunderstood film. Shame.
    Both films were love at first sight for me, and I still revere them both.
    I like both too.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Both films are excellent, though ultimately I don't think 2049 will be as revered in years to come.

It still deserved a better reception - it's a wonderfully well made film, crafted with a lot of love.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    "Happy Birthday."

pdistdwap3r01.jpg
    Crazy how in in less than 2 years, Blade Runner will have taken place in the past.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    "Happy Birthday."

pdistdwap3r01.jpg

CSD055-Hot_Wheels_large.jpg?v=1405939160
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I have to point I'm glad they didn't hold back on Luv's death scene. Too many films give their female villains such a cop out death scenes but they really weren't afraid so to have a proper aggressive fight scene which ended in an iconic drowning scene.
    Happy Birthday Leon :-)!

Luv is great. At first I found her a bit bland, but she grows on me with each viewing. As does the whole film by the way.
    Happy Birthday Leon :-)!

Luv is great. At first I found her a bit bland, but she grows on me with each viewing. As does the whole film by the way.

Absolutely. Film gets better every time. Makes me long for a blade runner 3 to give us more Leto and perhaps an off world experience.
    They set the finale up in 2049 so well that I could easily see the direction they'd take for a third; I'm just worried after the box office of the sequel that they won't be doing another one, at least anytime soon. Hope I'm wrong.
    As much as I love both films, I don't know of I'd be interested in a third installment. Just wouldn't be the same without Ford.