Canadian Production of FOR YOUR EYES ONLY

BirdlesonBirdleson San Jose, CA
edited January 2016 in News Posts: 18,031
Has this already been brought up on these boards and I somehow missed it? If this really is going to be a straight adaptation of Fleming's story I'm all for it (except Bond being Canadian). If it stars getting solid reviews I'll fly to Canada to see it (or drive). Either way I'll order the BluRay when it comes out.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/dec/01/james-bond-for-your-eyes-only-remake-ian-fleming

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger The electricc hair
    Ryan Reynolds as James Bond. They lost me there.
  • Shark_0f_LargoShark_0f_Largo Lancashire, UK
    "Low budget film making duo..............." got me. Are they the Canadian equivalent of what Cannon Films were? Come on, if "Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter" doesn't put you off nothing will ;)
  • BirdlesonBirdleson San Jose, CA
    I know nothing of their work, but I'd be interested to see a low-budget attempt at a Bond thriller, shot in the Canadian wilderness, as in the original story.
    With Ryan Reynolds, it's sure to be a major flop ! ;)
    Let s hope they can get someone else. It is an interesting project regardless of how it turns out.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 709
    If this got anywhere near actually being made, EON would put a stop to it. Remember those people announcing they were going to make a James Bond musical? I think they were last seen being dropped down a smokestack while screaming something about a delicatessen in stainless steel.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 709
    ignore/double post

I know many have suggested it before, but I'd love to see a TV series of the
    Fleming short stories. :)
    With Ryan Reynolds, it's sure to be a major flop ! ;)

I have no opinion of the guy. I don't care if it flops, I care whether or not I like it.

He simply has a history of appearing in flops. Nothing sinister. :)
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles Reminder: Unsafe driving will void warranty!
    edited January 2016 Posts: 1,532
    If Pierce Brosnan pulls a NSNA with this movie I would be so freaking happy.
  • DragonpolDragonpol Schloss Drache. Writer @ http://www.thebondologistblog.blogspot.co.uk
    edited January 2016 Posts: 10,298
    Well it's certainly an interesting development. Whether anything ever comes of it only time (and Eon's ever-eager lawyers) will tell.
    If Pierce Brosnan pulls a NSNA with this movie I would be so freaking happy.

I have been wishing for that (but my dream was to see him in a straight adaptation of the novel THE SPY WHO LOVED ME).
  • bondjamesbondjames Some men are coming to kill us. We're going to kill them first.
    If Reynolds is in it, I'm not watching it. He is as dull as they come.

I heard something about this copyright limitation in Canada. Interesting development. I wonder if that means someone can also write a Bond novel without drawing the ire of EON's legal dept.
  • MurdockMurdock Go ahead..make my day.
    Ryan Reynolds no, Pierce yes. Ryan Reynolds isn't even British anyway.
    We could get James Bond: Vampire Hunter .
    edited January 2016 Posts: 18,031
    Murdock wrote: »
    Ryan Reynolds no, Pierce yes. Ryan Reynolds isn't even British anyway.

I think that the reason we'd be getting a Canadian Bond is that they have to film in Canada. For budgetary reasons if nothing else.
  • bondjamesbondjames Some men are coming to kill us. We're going to kill them first.
    I like the idea of Michael Ironside (mentioned in the linked article). He always plays a great villain. I didn't realize he was Canadian.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles Reminder: Unsafe driving will void warranty!
    bondjames wrote: »
    I heard something about this copyright limitation in Canada. Interesting development. I wonder if that means someone can also write a Bond novel without drawing the ire of EON's legal dept.

I've heard that you could, actually, but it would have the same distribution limitations as this proposed movie.
    edited January 2016 Posts: 16,120
    bondjames wrote: »

I've heard that you could, actually, but it would have the same distribution limitations as this proposed movie.
    Thanks. Well, if this is in fact the case, I'm sure some folks are working on novels as we speak. I wonder how difficult it will be to enforce the copyright cross border or even internationally, particularly with the web.

I mean, surely someone from somewhere else can just place an order for such book (when it's released) on amazon's Canadian website for instance and have it shipped to their home country.
    I would imagine that there would be a restriction on it where they could only ship it to Canadian addresses.
    edited January 2016 Posts: 18,031
    dalton wrote: »
    I would imagine that there would be a restriction on it where they could only ship it to Canadian addresses.

You'd have to go through a middle man via eBay. Like I said before, if it looks good, I'll make the road trip.
  • gumboltgumbolt Now with in-office photocopier
    Canadians. Reputedly very, very polite. But Daniel Craig apparently said "thank you" a record number of times for Bond in CR (actually it gets mildly annoying if you look out for them) and so this production will need to go far to preserve national pride.
    I hadn't thought about the copyright going on Bond. So presumably anyone can make a Bond film after 2034, i.e 70 years after Fleming's death?
    In most territories, yes. All countries that signed the Bern treaty.

There must be other more fitting Canadian actors than Reynolds, surely?
    I wonder if we're entering a time where Bond will become like,
    Sherlock Holmes etc, open to many different interpretations ?
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 4,325
    I wonder if we're entering a time where Bond will become like,
    Sherlock Holmes etc, open to many different interpretations ?

And 2034 is only 18 years down the line - which is like the space of time that we had TWINE to Spectre - it will be an interesting time - probably for good and bad.
    edited January 2016 Posts: 16,120
    I can just see the Canadian Bond forums popping up this year as well perhaps. No need to worry about EON's lawyers coming after you for posting photos and vids on that site. EDIT: Actually, no, my mistake, I assume EON still owns its copyright and it's just stuff from the Bond books and character that can be posted.

This Berne law is troubling though, because if we thought McClory was bad, I can imagine a time when EON has to fend off several imitators and not just one.
  • sunsanvilsunsanvil Somewhere in Canada....somewhere.
    As a Canadian, I am suitably embarrassed by all this...
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    EON fending off competitors would only encourage them to improve their product I thin.