SPECTRE - Press reviews and personal reviews (BEWARE! Spoiler reviews allowed)

1979899100101103»

Comments

• MurdockMurdock Mr. 2000
    They are both below mediocre.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited December 2015 Posts: 3,764
    105s3o5.jpg

Christmas time is for some people a day of giving a way gifts, my gift for your is this and the message that i have seen Spectre on 30 November 2015. Review Comingsoon..

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Enemy of the state
    Best gift I got this year! Thanks.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @talos7, I scanned that list...but did movies like 'American Ultra,' 'Spy,' and 'Jurassic World' make the list, and SP didn't?! Wow.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I haven't seen 'American Ultra or' 'Spy' but did see Jurassic World and enjoyed it very much.
    I have read at various places, mostly non-Bond places that Swann "passing out' in her dress and walking up much later in her nightie is a continuity error of oh so greivous proportions.
    It is not. It is perfectly possible that she awoke at some point and slipped into her nightie.
    People do this all the time ie fall asleep in clothes, awake later and change into bedclothes.
    An actual contuity error is Dench walking into Mallory's office in SF with purse, placing it on floor.
    But when she leaves, no sign of purse, either with her or on floor where she put it.

Purpose of Swann wake-up scene though is clearly to show off her smashing figure and cleavage in nightie.
    It would not have been good filmmaking to insert another scene showing her putting it on.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883
    talos7 wrote: »
    That is a reasonable top 10 list. Sicario is missing, and I would have put MI-RN ahead of MM-FR, but the top 3 are acceptable to me. I haven't seen American Ultra either (I didn't even realize it was an action movie).
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @talos7, I scanned that list...but did movies like 'American Ultra,' 'Spy,' and 'Jurassic World' make the list, and SP didn't?! Wow.
    bondjames wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    That is a reasonable top 10 list. Sicario is missing, and I would have put MI-RN ahead of MM-FR, but the top 3 are acceptable to me. I haven't seen American Ultra either (I didn't even realize it was an action movie).
    Sicario for sure is not an action movie, and one could argue that SP is more thriller than action movie.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @boldfinger, 'Sicario' is definitely not an action movie, and SP is much more of an action movie than something like 'Spy' or 'American Ultra' is. They're just as much comedies as SP is a thriller/spy movie, which, to me, balances more on the action side of things than the former two do.
  • Too long, flat in the middle. Otherwise it was OK.
  • My biggest problem with Spectre still has to do with Blofeld and how they handled him, they were trying to combine the old aesthetics of the cat, the clothes and the scar with a new more "emotional" connection of family, but neither end up working. There's an odd disconnect between Blofeld, the supposed feared leader of a terrorist organisation out to control the world and Blofeld, the sockless cat lover with daddy issues running around abandoned buildings setting up traps for Bond. It's hard not to come away and feel like Waltz was miscast, a fine actor that can dominate and captivate like no other, but he feels wasted on a character with little presence.

But then again, has Blofeld EVER really worked beyond the faceless, nameless leader sitting in a chair stroking his cat? As much as they try to prove that he's Bond's "arch-nemesis" he's always been fairly uninteresting. Pleasance's Blofeld has been parodied to death, but looking past that, all you really have is a scar, an evil lair and a rather small, dull, unimposing man. Savalas' version improves somewhat, but he's still reduced to just an egomaniac living in exile with a really awful bobsled helmet. And Charles Gray just turned him into a campy joke, a complete cariacture. The next we see of him, he's offering Bond something no sane man would ever want while getting thrown into a chimney. Maybe it's time to let go and stop trying to make him work.
    Entirely agreed , Blofeld has generally been bad in the films, out of 4 appearances YOLT OHMSS. DAF & FYEO he only worked in OHMSS.

Horribly overrated villain not even close to Bonds Moriarity and they did not succeed in bringing him back in a good way, what a waste