Realistic & Serious Story Ideas for Bond 25 (...to be used by EON Productions Ltd.??)

Comments

patb wrote: »
    One of the things that struck me recently when viewing TSWLM was how fresh it felt. Obvioulsy, fashions changed etc but what I mean is that its not bogged down by the Bond history. It's too busy dealing with the present (and creating iconic Bond moments of it's own) to worry about the past. The new Lotus is just a great example of bold, fresh thinking. Recently, the heritage of Bond has almost become a ball and chain in terms of being dragged back to historical references. It does become tiresome and perhaps contributes towards younger fans preferring Bourne etc as Bond has become a little too "knowing" rather than being fresh and contemporary/

Yes, yes, yes! GF and TSWLM each made a whole generation Bond fans for life.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 4,599
    Its interesting that in an interview once, Mendes was remembering his childhood when he played with the Corgi Aston with the ejecter seat etc. Men of his generation will have been brought up with the iconography of the Bond from that era and perhaps thats why we are now having trouble shaking it off. We reference Bond from our childhood rather than the present. Our childhood is a time when memories "hardwire" themslelves into the brain far more than events in later life. IMHO we need someone who can come up with some very clear thinking about a 21st Century Bond without reference to previous movies. Its a tough call as there are many traditionalists within fandom who dont want too much to change.
    There are some very easy metaphors available to signify we are moving forward and getting rid of Aston as a marque would be an obvious one.
    patb wrote: »
    There are some very easy metaphors available to signify we are moving forward and getting rid of Aston as a marque would be an obvious one.
    Really liked seeing the Aston destroyed in SF. But then of course it was stupidly brought back in SP.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 4,599
    Yes, I interpreted that scene as saying "right, enough is enough, youve seen it one last time but you have had your fun" plus Bond's reaction (which is great acting IMHO) implies its been written off once and for all rather than "oh no , more repairs"
    The DB5 is like the Terminator, it needs to be lowered into a smelter to kill it off. Meanwhile MI have already used the BMW I8, a much cooler car in the eyes of the "youth" rather than the tired Aston.
    We just need to have a big Bond "garage sale" and clear all of this stuff out and make room for new and innovative material.
    (like a McLaren P1 or similar?)
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Story ideas.

I liked John Gardner's plot to SeaFire, wherein the villain sought to perpetrate a natural disaster because he had the remedy and would become the event's savior. So crazy environmentalist would be good.
    16701941.jpgSeafire.jpg
    I'd like a film in the vein of LALD but one that doubled down on the supernatural stuff. Keep it ambiguous but a film with horror elements that tests Bond's sanity could be cool. I think @Thunderfinger suggested the idea of a satanist cult and I have always liked the idea of Bond fighting an ancient/creepy group like that or a shadowy illuminati type thing with hints at the supernatural.

There's also lots of stuff from the books they could update to a modern context. I posted an outline somewhere in this thread for an adaptation of MR with Islamic terrorists as the villain rather than Nazis. You could do something with LALD as well, the smuggling to fund espoinage plot (instead of pirate treasure, could be human trafficking?).

I think it'd be fun to strip Bond of the glamour and see him out of his element a bit more. Have him on leave expecting to be sent to some exotic location but instead his mission starts in a run down English town (obviously this would just be a set up and lead into the usual glamourous locations, e.g. the villain he's sent to investigate grew up there so he's looking for clues).

Ideally if it's a new Bond, Blofeld/SPECTRE wouldn't appear for a couple of films and he'd already be familiar with them (keep it vague but make it clear they have history). I don't want another 40 year break from them but at the same time I don't want it to feel like Bond's sole purpose in life is to fight Spectre, which is part of the issue I had with the Silva retcon but also a problem with the Connery era imo. He should face a wide variety of threats.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 1,162
    talos7 wrote: »

Oh yes! Come to think about it yes, yes and yes! A real larger than life weapon against a larger than life spy. Great find.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Oh yes! Come to think about it yes, yes and yes! A real larger than life weapon against a larger than life spy. Great find.

That's a proper Bond plot.

Bollocks to all this personal stuff. I want a finale of Bond battling a giant henchman on the roof of this train while a country destroying warhead controlled by SPECTRE counts down to WW3.

Bollocks to all this personal stuff. I want a finale of Bond battling a giant henchman on the roof of this train while a country destroying warhead controlled by SPECTRE counts down to WW3.

I think I just had an orgasm.
    Oh I remember when a Bond film was a Bond film....*sighs*....
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    This could easily be incorporated into the plot of MR. Just sayin'.
    You know, you are absolutely right about that.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I think they perfected the formula with LALD and TMWTGG. A PTS without Bond present that soes the seeds of the story with intrigue and suspense. Not, I repeat, not a big action set piece to start off - ease in gently. Then, after the song, cut to Bond getting his briefing. It can be in any setting to mix things up. Then cut back and forth between Bond arriving on location and putting the feelers out, and the villian going about his business. Eventually the two become entangled for the first time, and Bond must escape or give chase. This is the breathing space for some action before the build up to the climax, the Boat chase in LALD and the Car chase in TMWTGG. Then the film slows down again, as Bond arrives at the villians layer. There are not leagions of minions running around, maybe just a dozen guys or less, but enough that Bond is captured and outnumbered. Eventually he breaks free, kills the villain, blows the base up and escapes with the girl. Then the henchman appears, a brief struggle, but the film ends on a high note with a bit of humour.

I think if they would do something like this today, but update the tone to have a bit more genuine danger, then they could produce a Bond film for 150 million easily, especially if they shot on digital, which is cheaper and didn't exist in the 70's.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    The film industry was in extreme flux in the early '70s. Bond without Connery was by no means an assured success. So they tried various "edgy" approaches (no Bond in the PTS, no Q, a tough Moore with Adams).

But then there followed 15 films with Bond in the PTS. I just don't think the audience will accept a Bond-less one, and more importantly, Eon won't want to take that risk...

CR was a brave one without a stunt, but even that may have just been a one-off.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    echo wrote: »
    The film industry was in extreme flux in the early '70s. Bond without Connery was by no means an assured success. So they tried various "edgy" approaches (no Bond in the PTS, no Q, a tough Moore with Adams).

But then there followed 15 films with Bond in the PTS. I just don't think the audience will accept a Bond-less one, and more importantly, Eon won't want to take that risk...

CR was a brave one without a stunt, but even that may have just been a one-off.

I agree, @echo. I think that EON wouldn't want to take Bond out of the action for a big space of time, even just a PTS, and that may put that kind of idea on hold. I also find the Bond-less PTSs infinitely more dull than all the others, and I don't think that's by accident. Cool idea, maybe, but there's a reason it didn't stick around.

One thing is for certain: I don't think we will ever see modern a Bond film that did what FRWL did, where Bond is on the bench for nearly 20 minutes before we even see his face.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 8,079
    OK, seen as many didn't like my idea of a traditional briefing scene, what about the opposite extreme? What if the first time we see the next Bond after Craig is when he meets his contact in the field. Through the course of the exchange, you would learn of this man's name, and his profession and his reason for being there. No ceremony about it, just introduce the actor and then build up the character in the story rather than with an epic introduction. Give the Scooby gang a rest as well, by having Bond already on his mission.
  • OK, seen as many didn't like my idea of a traditional briefing scene, what about the opposite extreme? What if the first time we see the next Bond after Craig is when he meets his contact in the field. Through the course of the exchange, you would learn of this man's name, and his profession and his reason for being there. No ceremony about it, just introduce the actor and then build up the character in the story rather than with an epic introduction. Give the Scooby gang a rest as well, by having Bond already on his mission.

I like that idea a lot. It'd be a fun way to freshen things up, especially if they followed through on that and went for a Bond film that was as stripped back and bare bones as possible (following the Mad Max trend). Maybe open up the gunbarrel on him getting off a plane and making his way through the airport then driving to meet his contact, hiding his face ala Lazenby in OHMSS?
    OK, seen as many didn't like my idea of a traditional briefing scene, what about the opposite extreme? What if the first time we see the next Bond after Craig is when he meets his contact in the field. Through the course of the exchange, you would learn of this man's name, and his profession and his reason for being there. No ceremony about it, just introduce the actor and then build up the character in the story rather than with an epic introduction. Give the Scooby gang a rest as well, by having Bond already on his mission.

I like that idea a lot. It'd be a fun way to freshen things up, especially if they followed through on that and went for a Bond film that was as stripped back and bare bones as possible (following the Mad Max trend). Maybe open up the gunbarrel on him getting off a plane and making his way through the airport then driving to meet his contact, hiding his face ala Lazenby in OHMSS?

Thanks! It would be a subtle way of putting the character back in mystery, back at arms length after so much time in Craig's personal space. I actually think it would work better after the credits though. My idea would be a tense, atmospheric PTS where we see the villain and get just the very bare minimum of information about his plan. Then the titles, and then open with Bond at the airport or traveling to his contact. They don't have to explicitly put in shadows, or hide his face. Just don't give a full on close up until he meets his contact and they have some spy banter.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Mendes4Lyfe, I don't think it'd be a terrible idea at all. Have Bond mentioned gradually or have characters in the field on the mission talk about him to build his myth. By having outsiders comment and characterize a figure, you get other impressions before you ever see or experience him yourself, and I think that's an interesting tool from a story perspective. You see that used as far back as in the Sherlock Holmes novels, where Watson is told all these things from other people about Holmes before they meet, setting up an expectation for a strange man that is then offset or refuted by how great the man is and how much more he is than what others say. We ultimately see more to a man than what his "legend" is, including his humanity and heart.

You could do the same thing with Bond and have his small team in the field for the PTS on a mission where they're waiting for something to happen, and talk about the new guy. Each has something to say, some good, some bad, some worrying, manipulating us into thinking he is going to be what everyone says.

"Who's this 'Bond' we've got?"

"Ex-RAF, sir. Comes highly recommended, though we're told to be wary of his 'proclivities.'"

"Proclivities? Like?"

"'Boldness,' the file says."

"I can account for the boldness. The bastard attempted to charm me at the bar last night over vodka martinis, as if men really drink those."

"He does seem to be a bit of a character, eh? Not necessarily one I'd like to have guarding my life in the field, if I may be bold myself."

From an assortment of male or female perspectives we get an initial idea of who this Bond may be. Is he so bold that he often becomes too rash and risky, making him dangerous, and does he care about anything more than lying with a woman? All of these notions and half-baked impressions could then be directly refuted when something goes wrong in the mission, or the team's cover is blown, and the new Bond is introduced in a heated moment of action as he races directly to the conflict to help the team who are extremely critical or dismissive of him. As the scene unfolds it's not just the spies who get proved wrong, it's the audience too and we see Bond beneath the layers of what people say he is or expect him to be.

I think it would be an interesting idea, as we've never seen that done before. We've seen Bond introduced for the first time in the heat of a job, as with Tim and Pierce, but never in a style where characters set you up beforehand to build his character before the big exit. I think a dialogue like the one above could be a good chance to play some light and fun games with the audience, teasing that Bond is only a womanizing martini sipper, before showing them that this man is far more than a caricature or what you expect from knowing the legacy of the series.

In many ways it's how Fleming wrote Bond, where a woman would have a built-in notion of who he is, like Vesper viewing him as a glorified spy hero she wanted to charm before she saw the darkness of his job and all he'd had to do in the field to be who he is, or Gala Brand in Moonraker who initially writes Bond off to be a globe-trotting womanizer not far removed from the kind of man many think the character is in the films. These moments and the characters' false impressions regarding the spy then gradually get to be proven wrong in a karmic way, as Bond lays down his life to save them and shows a deeper side of himself through that bold action.
    @Mendes4Lyfe, I don't think it'd be a terrible idea at all. Have Bond mentioned gradually or have characters in the field on the mission talk about him to build his myth. By having outsiders comment and characterize a figure, you get other impressions before you ever see or experience him yourself, and I think that's an interesting tool from a story perspective. You see that used as far back as in the Sherlock Holmes novels, where Watson is told all these things from other people about Holmes before they meet, setting up an expectation for a strange man that is then offset or refuted by how great the man is and how much more he is than what others say. We ultimately see more to a man than what his "legend" is, including his humanity and heart.

You could do the same thing with Bond and have his small team in the field for the PTS on a mission where they're waiting for something to happen, and talk about the new guy. Each has something to say, some good, some bad, some worrying, manipulating us into thinking he is going to be what everyone says.

"Who's this 'Bond' we've got?"

"Ex-RAF, sir. Comes highly recommended, though we're told to be wary of his 'proclivities.'"

"Proclivities? Like?"

"'Boldness,' the file says."

"I can account for the boldness. The bastard attempted to charm me at the bar last night over vodka martinis, as if men really drink those."

"He does seem to be a bit of a character, eh? Not necessarily one I'd like to have guarding my life in the field, if I may be bold myself."

From an assortment of male or female perspectives we get an initial idea of who this Bond may be. Is he so bold that he often becomes too rash and risky, making him dangerous, and does he care about anything more than lying with a woman? All of these notions and half-baked impressions could then be directly refuted when something goes wrong in the mission, or the team's cover is blown, and the new Bond is introduced in a heated moment of action as he races directly to the conflict to help the team who are extremely critical or dismissive of him. As the scene unfolds it's not just the spies who get proved wrong, it's the audience too and we see Bond beneath the layers of what people say he is or expect him to be.

I think it would be an interesting idea, as we've never seen that done before. We've seen Bond introduced for the first time in the heat of a job, as with Tim and Pierce, but never in a style where characters set you up beforehand to build his character before the big exit. I think a dialogue like the one above could be a good chance to play some light and fun games with the audience, teasing that Bond is only a womanizing martini sipper, before showing them that this man is far more than a caricature or what you expect from knowing the legacy of the series.

In many ways it's how Fleming wrote Bond, where a woman would have a built-in notion of who he is, like Vesper viewing him as a glorified spy hero she wanted to charm before she saw the darkness of his job and all he'd had to do in the field to be who he is, or Gala Brand in Moonraker who initially writes Bond off to be a globe-trotting womanizer not far removed from the kind of man many think the character is in the films. These moments and the characters' false impressions regarding the spy then gradually get to be proven wrong in a karmic way, as Bond lays down his life to save them and shows a deeper side of himself through that bold action.

I like your idea to turn it into more of a set piece, where the agents are proven wrong one by one. That would certainly tell the audience "this guys a real person, not a myth".

My idea is slightly different. I thought if he met a contact after the credits, it would serve as a briefing scene, but without one party having definitive authority over the other. Perhaps they banter a little, and Bond's wit is displayed. Then, a few scenes later, Bond meets the Bond girl and a completely different side of him comes out, like a different person. Then, the action kicks off, and Bond's dogged determination is shown. By the end of the film we have this completed picture of the character, without Bond being a rookie on his first mission.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere

See The Dark Knight Rises.

That's not what happens in that film, though...

Essentially the same. Just different scope.
    Gettler wrote: »

Just even close. The only similarity is there's a bomb, and that's it. I've seen The Dark Knight Rises many times and I'm foggy on the part where Batman and Bane are fighting as a bomb ticks down. In fact, I think Bane was a bit...incapacitated by the time Batman had to drive it out himself.

Not that any of it matters, I just got so confused why such a random and bare comparison was being made and found myself speaking up.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Just even close. The only similarity is there's a bomb, and that's it. I've seen The Dark Knight Rises many times and I'm foggy on the part where Batman and Bane are fighting as a bomb ticks down. In fact, I think Bane was a bit...incapacitated by the time Batman had to drive it out himself.

Not that any of it matters, I just got so confused why such a random and bare comparison was being made and found myself speaking up.

Indeed. We're talking a YOLT style finale with the world on the brink of WW3 and Bond the only one who can stop it.

MI:GP a far better film to pluck out of thin air.

Anyway what is your point @QuantumOrganization? No one ever said that a bomb countdown was original. And Bond was doing it long before TDKR anyway so not sure why you randomly pick that film.

Indeed. We're talking a YOLT style finale with the world on the brink of WW3 and Bond the only one who can stop it.

Anyway what is your point @QuantumOrganization? No one ever said that a bomb countdown was original. And Bond was doing it long before TDKR anyway so not sure why you randomly pick that film.

@TheWizardOfIce, I'd be interested to see a film inspired by the ending of Moonraker where the rocket actually shoots out towards London and Bond has to speed along as it takes flight with Q in the back trying to reprogram it. Maybe a bit too over the top, but the WW3 world on the brink of war is too.

@TheWizardOfIce, I'd be interested to see a film inspired by the ending of Moonraker where the rocket actually shoots out towards London and Bond has to speed along as it takes flight with Q in the back trying to reprogram it. Maybe a bit too over the top, but the WW3 world on the brink of war is too.

But that actually is quite exactly what happens in MI:GP and even that wasn't too original. I'd still lobby for something a bit more creative.

But that actually is quite exactly what happens in MI:GP and even that wasn't too original. I'd still lobby for something a bit more creative.

It's definitely a well worn image, like much in the genre. I just like the image of Bond racing back to London opposite traffic with Q to stop immense death.
    Doesn't feel Bondian to me, but honestly most of all I don't want them to repeat things others have already done quite perfectly. Know what, I have a truly outrageous idea. Why not save money with the main star and invest some of it in a quality script. Why not even in two,so you can choose the better of them. Why not have your scripts written long before you start filming so you can thoroughly work them out?