Classic Film Stars Recast as James Bond Villians

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "Better cold with them on, than dead with them off, I always say."Moderator
    In my nerdy fancast of DAF, I cast Perkins and Michael Berryman as the Spang brothers.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson San Jose, CAModerator
    edited October 2015 Posts: 27,037
    Le Chiffre - Paul Henreid
    Basil Rathbone - Gustav Graves

If we go back to the '40s and '50s we can come up with some great actors to take on the role of James Bond 007 himself. Sticking strictly with actors form Great Britain.

Ronald Coleman
    Dirk Bogarde
    James Mason (again)
    Cary Grant (probably a bit too good looking)
    and of course, Richard Burton
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Birdleson, Mason would be an excellent choice. He most certainly has the look, too.
    George C. Scott as Drax.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Ghost office
    Tor Johnson as Sandor.
    That's a good one.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 769
    Birdleson wrote: »
    George C. Scott as Drax.

Now that would have been an imposing Drax, who could make anyone kneel in respect and retreat in panic, from Bond to all the theater-goers included. He was that good.

I think he would also fit nicely as Withaker, with Peter Sellers as Koskov. A Strangelove reunion for two Strangelove-like villains.

And Necros... Hum... What do you think of B-movie star John Agar? Just throwing it in.

I had to look John Agar up, though I recognized the name. Of course, I've seen him in plenty of films. Great choice.
    Other names:

- Another crazy choice: Walter Brennan as Stromberg. I can't see Stromberg any other way: not a really menacing villain per se, but more of a brilliant and ruthless criminal mastermind who at the end can't stand for himself and shamelessly hides behind his mooks. And rough (man, that wonderful voice he had) but sweet old man Brennan kinda fits in this description IMHO. Alternate choice in the same style: Burgess Meredith, who really worked as a campy villain back then.
    - As Krest (again) or Withaker if we want to make him more of a caricature and less of a menace: Jack Elam.
    - I can see Zero Mostel as both Columbo and Kristatos. Maybe playing both parts with some help from Jack Pierce or the Westmore family 8-}
    - Koskov: I can't unsee Peter Sellers, but there are other comical actors who would fit nicely. Maybe Jerry Lewis when self-contained, or Herbert Lom (also a nice choice for Dr. Krutze).
    - Another idea for Sanchez: Paul Muni.
    Those are some excellent, and off-the-wall, suggestions.
    Well, you know, "Life ain't so bad at all, if you live it off-the-wall".

Off-topic: well, we have to admit "he" lived waaaaaaay off-the-wall, but man, what an entertainer he was back in his prime.
    I was wondering if MJ could have played a young Kamal Khan... I don't think so: too flamboyant. More of a Wint/Kidd, Zorin or Graves kind of guy...
    [End of off-topic].
    He couldn't act for shit, if you've ever seen him try. No way.
  • That's for sure. When I think he could have starred on Hook (OK, not a good movie to start with XD)

Back to the topic...

Michael Dunn as Nick Nack. I mean... It's Miguelito Loveless: one can't ask for less in a wildly fun ride like TMWTGG.

It's hard to top such a wonderful ensemble of bad guys like the one we had in LALD. All of them (except for poor Miss Hendry) were top-notch character actors. However, there's a guy who could have make a good Tee-Hee in consonance to the novel: Mr. Darby Jones. He was as scary as a Bond villain can be.

For the Spang Bros.: I see them as gangsters in a classical stereotypical sense, with some kind of false cowboy attitude, so I'd choose two guys who would work both as gangsters and Far West outlaws: Robert Ryan and Jack Palance.

Gustav Graves: British, handsome, flamboyant, evil and mad as a senile goat? I'd take Stephen Boyd any time.

And an exotic name which I've been thinking of to play Gonzales. He played a Mexican peasant in a Mexican film and, really, made a great impression despite his lines being dubbed much to his chagrin: Toshirō Mifune.

If you check back, I also had Palance as a potential Spang brother. I had Robert Ryan I my Scaramanga list.

Boyd, good choice. I don't know if I want Mifune as a Mexican. If he was fatter he'd be a swell Odd Job.
  • About Oddjob, don't hit me, guys, but I was thinking of... Warner Oland playing Charlie Chan!

How can I have forgotten Mifune as a scary Oddjob? #-o Back then, on Tohō movies, there was a fat, strong and nice actor called Furanki (Frankie) Sakai, but he lacked the scary factor: he was more of a bit of a half-assed comedian who worked much better as a character actor.
    Oland just seems crotchety, not menacing to me.
    I'll have to agree: it was an ill-fated choice.
    edited October 2015 Posts: 34,315
    Stan Laurel as James Bond. No, I am not kidding.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Stan Laurel as James Bond. No, I am not kidding.

Hardy can play Moneypenny then.
  • DariusDarius UK
    Mark Povinelli as Nick Nack
    Robert Duvall as Stromberg
    Mako Iwamatsu as Tiger Tanaka
    Jimmy Wang Yu as Colonel Sun
    edited October 2015 Posts: 27,037
    Darius wrote: »
    Mark Povinelli as Nick Nack
    Robert Duvall as Stromberg
    Mako Iwamatsu as Tiger Tanaka
    Jimmy Wang Yu as Colonel Sun

Thanks for contributing, but stay within the confines of the exercise. Some of these people were fairly still young in the '60s (in fact one wasn't even born until the '70s). We're looking for "classic" actors and actresses that were major stars by the '60s, at the latest, preferably older.
    edited October 2015 Posts: 34,315
    John Barrymore as Marc Ange Draco.

edit -see he was suggested as Le Chiffre. That would work, too. See Jack Palance was also suggested as Seraffimo Spang. That would have been great, he was approached for the role of Scaramanga. Would have been awesome, although I love Lee in the part.
    Palance, Marvin and Reed were closer to Fleming's Scaramanga, but yes, Lee was great.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited October 2015 Posts: 9,021
    Burt Kwouk as Hai Fat
    Do you guys see Mae West being a Bond Girl? I think she could have been a good Fiona Volpe back in her prime, so agressive and funny. Alternate choice: Vivian Leigh, such a beautiful and brilliant actress. And a very personal choice: sultry B-series goddess Allison Hayes as the treacherous latin american dancer from Goldfinger's PCS (now, who could make the Alf Joint part... Yakima Cannutt? No, I don't think so...).

Now I'm looking for a nerd-like actor to play Boris. Any suggestions? I thought about Jerry Lewis and Harold Lloyd, but I can't picture them.
    Do you guys see Mae West being a Bond Girl? I think she could have been a good Fiona Volpe back in her prime, so agressive and funny. (too butch and manly, even in her prime)Alternate choice: Vivian Leigh (definitely! Gala Brand!), such a beautiful and brilliant actress. And a very personal choice: sultry B-series goddess Allison Hayes as the treacherous latin american dancer from Goldfinger's PCS (now, who could make the Alf Joint part... Yakima Cannutt? No, I don't think so...).

Now I'm looking for a nerd-like actor to play Boris. Any suggestions? I thought about Jerry Lewis and Harold Lloyd, but I can't picture them.
    They would both be great!
    Burt Kwouk as Hai Fat

My problem with Burt Kwok (aside from hardly being classic and on the young side for this) is that, like Anthony Chinn and Milton Reid, he is already all over the Bond films. Kwok in 3, Chinn in 4, Reid in 3.
    Danny Kaye as Willard Whyte.
    Danny Kaye as Willard Whyte.

Excellent.
    Thanks, and in the same vein

Buster Keaton as Elvis.