redacted

Comments

• Quantum of Solace vs Skyfall

A headache vs a snorefest

Actually, I don't think of either as negatively, but SF is a clear winner. Every action scene in QOS is way too hard to comprehend and there are too many of them. We had editing issues in earlier films, like TB and OHMSS but those films realised that jump cuts were only to be used in close quarters physical fights. OHMSS ski chase and TB underwater scenes are not flash cut for example. Every action scene in QOS could plausibly induce epilepsy.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    SF is my favourite but QOS is better than SPECTRE.

At least QOS doesn't have a snorefest finale, eerie my foot it's generic suspenseless guff.

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I love how Bond throws the can of oil at Greene's feet. :)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Incompetent is a good handle.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I love all of Craig's Bond movies. CR, QOS, SF and SP. All winners in my book. :-bd
  • GBFGBF
    Skyfall is way better. I mean it has an interesting plot, the villan is way better, it feels like a Bond movie where QoS is rather Bourne film. The song is better, DC's performance is better, the action is less overblown and better edited than in QoS. The cinematography is way better, the direction is way better.

Hmm,.. is there any category where QoS beats Skyfall. I don't think so..
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    QOS has the better girl.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    QOS has the better girl.

@Thunderfinger, which one? The one in the stripper outfit, the "get in!" girl, the Canadian secret service girl...? :p

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Thinking of Camille.
    Again I say, the more you watch QoS the more you appreciate. I completely missed the car chase the first time I was so overwhelmed by the editing. Now after seeing it over a dozen times, its a superb action sequence. You see extra moments, the villains car reflected in Bonds door, the bullets ricocheting around 007s doorless vehicle, the land rover rolling just in front of bonds car as it tumbles down. Its a cracking car chase. i'll venture to say the best car chase in the series!
  • Mathis1 wrote: »
    Again I say, the more you watch QoS the more you appreciate. I completely missed the car chase the first time I was so overwhelmed by the editing. Now after seeing it over a dozen times, its a superb action sequence. You see extra moments, the villains car reflected in Bonds door, the bullets ricocheting around 007s doorless vehicle, the land rover rolling just in front of bonds car as it tumbles down. Its a cracking car chase. i'll venture to say the best car chase in the series!

A good action scene is appreciable immediately.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Skyfall has:

- A better portrayal from Daniel Craig

- A much better villain

- A more Bond-like feel as opposed to half-Bond, half-Bourne

- Superior editing

- Superior cinematography

- A better story

- A better theme song

- A plot that feels connected

Skyfall wins hands-down. QoS should be compared with SP, a match-up that as of now, I'm unsure of the victor.
  • Skyfall has:

- A better portrayal from Daniel Craig

- A much better villain

- A more Bond-like feel as opposed to half-Bond, half-Bourne

- Superior editing

- Superior cinematography

- A better story

- A better theme song

- A plot that feels connected

Skyfall wins hands-down. QoS should be compared with SP, a match-up that as of now, I'm unsure of the victor.

Agreed. Except for the first point about Craig, that may be contentious. And SP is not as good as SF but it is far better than the headache that is QOS I mean come on.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    edited March 2016 Posts: 1,984
    @IncompetentHenchman - That was my initial take on it, but after watching both again, I think I only have SP one spot above QoS. And in a direct comparison, QoS does have some advantages. I guess I'll side with SP, bu it's close, unquestionably. Well, for me, at least.
    I like what each film set out to do. QOS being a direct sequel to CR, and SF being its own self contained story. But I wish QOS had more to digest. I'm a lover of long films, and there's nothing wrong with shorter ones, but QOS would have benefited from another draft or at least giving more time to breathe between scenes.
  • I liked Quantum of solace more than Skyfall. I believe that there's more depth in the story . The Skyfall movie contained too much action and the choice of location was not great.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    SF had too much action?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    doubleoego wrote: »
    SF had too much action?

And he's comparing it directly to QOS. :-?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I prefer SF to QOS but I do rate both films very highly.
  • They're both the darker, drearier type of film, but in that category, Skyfall's unquestionably superior.
  • GBFGBF
    Skyfall definately feels more like a Bond film to me. It has also more style and feels less rushed compared to QoS. You just see that they had a higher budget, more time and a better cast. Mendes instead of Forster also went back to the Bond formular by reintroducing Moneypenny and Q. However, Skyfall feels also much more commercial with all this Bondian elements that are mainly there to please the casual Bond fan. In Spectre they definately went over the top with all the Bond film references but one can already see it beginning in Skyfall.

I am not a big fan of both films. I dislike the bad scripts and the unintersting characters in both films. I also dislike the many plot holes and inconsistencies in Skyfall but I appreciate its more melancholic approach and its great cinematography. QoS, however, always felt like a Bourne film to me. It is just a typical action movie. The story is uninteresting, the locations are uninteresting, the characters are uninteresting, there are no twists or any surprises. There is neither any suspense nor irony or humeur.

Hence I like Skyfall more than QoS.
    SF is a movie for grown ups with interesting, thoughtful themes, character interaction and motivations. QoS is an expensive Saturday matinee B movie with lots of action , fast cuts and very little sense. Its such an unfair comparison IMHO. One is a complete mess, the other is not.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2016 Posts: 15,690
    patb wrote: »
    SF is a movie for grown ups with interesting, thoughtful themes, character interaction and motivations. QoS is an expensive Saturday matinee B movie with lots of action , fast cuts and very little sense. Its such an unfair comparison IMHO. One is a complete mess, the other is not.

IMO QOS is more 'grown up' than SF, but that's just me. I'd say SF is the most intelligent/ smart film due to its themes, but QOS is the one for grown ups, if that make sense.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Hmm. Comparing the two worst films in the series? Tough one. :-?

I'll give it to SF.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 11,425
    Anything with Brosnan in it ranks well below either QOS or SF (my least favourite Craig entry) IMO.

The production values alone on the Craig films make them superior to the nadir represented by the dreary run of films between 95-2002.

Tonally though, and in the sense that Mendes returned to a greatest hits self-referential approach, there are similarities between the Brosnan films and Craigs third and fourth films.
    Getafix wrote: »
    Anything with Brosnan in it ranks well below either QOS or SF (my least favourite Craig entry) IMO.

The production values alone on the Craig films make them superior to the nadir represented by the dreary run of films between 95-2002.

At least those films had plots, and didn't presume to be anything more than escapist entertainment.

At least those films had plots, and didn't presume to be anything more than escapist entertainment.

True. The Brosnan films did have internally coherent plots, as opposed to SF, which is mainly thematically driven. But that on its own doesn't make the Brosnan films any good.

May be one day we'll get a Bond film that has a great plot, writing, acting and production values. That would be a novelty!

True. The Brosnan films did have internally coherent plots, as opposed to SF, which is mainly thematically driven. But that on its own doesn't make the Brosnan films any good.

May be one day we'll get a Bond film that has a great plot, writing, acting and production values. That would be a novelty!

When I go back and watch GE, TND, even DAD, there is a certain earnestness to them. They are just trying to entertain. Whether they are always successful or not is debatable, but the intent is there and it shows. Neither QoS or SF even make the effort in this regard.

Keep calm and go rogue!
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    I prefer the 'tone' and score of QofS. But SF is the superior film all round.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    A Top 5 film vs. one in dead last. QoS wins.