• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I actually saw that one in the theater.

Back in the stone age?
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    edited December 2021 Posts: 2,161
    Pretnear.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

He wants to set it in the early 90s and give Bond an iPod as a gadget :))

Makes me utterly greatful that EON is still in charge :-O :))
  • TheQueensPeaceTheQueensPeace That's Classified
    edited December 2021 Posts: 74
    mtm wrote: »

He wants to set it in the early 90s and give Bond an iPod as a gadget :))
    jobo wrote: »

Makes me utterly greatful that EON is still in charge :-O :))

grateful.

feel free to disagree; also the piece is not ENTIRELY serious. No need for nasty lil emojis.
    Good God. It's a fair attempt at a pitch that will not be used and at least marginally more imaginative than some of the autopilot cut and paste jobs mooted

if we must talk i-pods? the tech in bond is 5 minutes into the future. Ergo, he has an i pod in the late 90s/early 2000s / a version of, MAYBE. And in any event, my pitch indicates it sets up an arc that does end..in 2005 (i pods ahoy!). Necros used a killer walkman in living daylights; i pod is part of the james bond radio logo. It's an in joke. So there! Thanks for reading. x
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Oh it's your pitch? Sorry, from the way you called it 'interesting' I assumed you'd found it online: I never review my own stuff! :D I wouldn't have laughed at it if I'd known it was your suggestion.

And sure, Bond tech is set 5 mins into the future, but I'm not sure he'd carry a bit of hi-tech which is itself disguised as something from 15 years in the future which no-one has seen, otherwise it's a bit of a pointless disguise.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited December 2021 Posts: 5,921
    Since Barbara was the one pushing for an adaptation of YOLT into NTTD, I can easily see Eon going back to MR the novel for Bond 26. The novel has been largely picked over by 3-4 other films (then again, so was CR) and the bridge game will be hard to adapt, so the degree of difficulty is high.
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 1,215
    echo wrote: »
    Since Barbara was the one pushing for an adaptation of YOLT into NTTD, I can easily see Eon going back to MR the novel for Bond 26. The novel has been largely picked over by 3-4 other films (then again, so was CR) and the bridge game will be hard to adapt, so the degree of difficulty is high.

I don’t know how well a truly faithful adaption would work but I had been working on a fan script with the Moonraker novel as an inspiration based on the concept of M essentially sanctioning a mission based on his distrust of a national hero industrialist who happens to be in his social circle. The bridge game probably won’t age well but you could easily replace that with something more contemporary and interesting to watch.

I also reimagined a new Miles Messervy as less of a bureaucrat and more of a Machiavellian who still has some Bondian field agent type instincts and a heavy disdain for the Whitehall bureaucrats. Tanner has a bit more of an elevated role as Bond’s best friend/confidant in MI6 and his foil being a family man with everything to lose and the innate instinct to play things by the book and do the political maneuvering M isn’t particularly interested in. I think the dynamic of Bond and M egging each other on to do the job by any means they see fit and engage in some diplomatically “naughty” behaviour while Tanner reigns both of them in when he needs to but while allowing them to bend the rules where necessary would a fresh change up from the status quo. Also good way of adding some complexity to M without framing the character as incompetent, which happened with both Dame Judi and Ralph.
  • I don’t know how well a truly faithful adaption would work but I had been working on a fan script with the Moonraker novel as an inspiration based on the concept of M essentially sanctioning a mission based on his distrust of a national hero industrialist who happens to be in his social circle. The bridge game probably won’t age well but you could easily replace that with something more contemporary and interesting to watch.

A sword fight, for instance. I'm pretty sure this is exactly how Die Another Day started. ;)
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I love the idea of a card game and the villain cheating--it's just so Fleming. CR benefited from the poker craze. There's not really an equivalent card obsession at the moment.
    The only problem with MR is, while it has never been "directly" adapted (the film barely kept anything from the source material), its elements have been plundered and used in so many Bond films: GE, DAD, OP, SF, even("spend them quickly, Mr. Bond"), etc.
    Oh it's your pitch? Sorry, from the way you called it 'interesting' I assumed you'd found it online: I never review my own stuff! :D I wouldn't have laughed at it if I'd known it was your suggestion.

And sure, Bond tech is set 5 mins into the future, but I'm not sure he'd carry a bit of hi-tech which is itself disguised as something from 15 years in the future which no-one has seen, otherwise it's a bit of a pointless disguise.

I didn't know it was your pitch either, @TheQueensPeace. And neither would I refer to my own pitch as 'interesting'. That's for others to decide, no?
    jobo wrote: »

I didn't know it was your pitch either, @TheQueensPeace. And neither would I refer to my own pitch as 'interesting'. That's for others to decide, no?

Exactly!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I might take it up though, people might listen to me more.

Hey, this guy really knows what he's talking about!
    Guys/girls et al: sorry if I failed to point out it was my pitch! Though..expecting someone else? ;)
    and of course, if you loathe it: no probs. Emojis, fun pokes etc all good
    But i do make some 'interesting' points; proven by the fact that it elicited reaction at all, for good or ill! x
    But i do make some 'interesting' points; proven by the fact that it elicited reaction at all, for good or ill! x
    Or silly points. Either way, it will provoke a reaction, which is exactly what you got. ;)
    come on, silly?? silly?? it's a well crafted, researched, considerate piece.
    Or silly points. Either way, it will provoke a reaction, which is exactly what you got. ;)

• mtmmtm United Kingdom

It doesn't take long to research when iPods came out ;)
    its fine I prefer bond in the modern era but Elba as M and Cavill as Bond is not the worst thing
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited December 2021 Posts: 7,518
    IMO Cinematic Bond needs to stay "5 minutes in the future".

Elba and Cavill as Bond wouldn't be the worst things, no, but I'm surprised many fans don't care enough to want a better actor in the main role.

It's like all people want is a new Bond poster, not a new Bond film.
  • I’ve been thinking about the military service angle somebody suggested. Bond in the Royal Marines or whatever. And I do like the idea. I was never really keen on the idea of a Bond origin story, because I think one of the strengths of the character is how he emerged fully formed. But I have always wondered about his time serving. And it’d be something genuinely fresh, that immediately distinguishes the new guy from the grizzled older veteran of the last few films. As long as they avoided the standard origins tropes (“ooh this is where he got his taste for vodka martinis” or anything like that), then I think it could work.

But I am wondering how you could take that idea and make it still feel recognisably Bond. As flexible as the brand is, that flexibility is always within the confines of his own heightened spy world. How do you slot enough of the traditional ingredients into a war movie to make it feel like Bond, without it feeling contrived? Maybe you could start it with him in the Marines, but then have him recruited by MI6 a third or so onto the film, maybe just as a temporary asset for some plot related reason. End it with M asking if he’s ever considered a career change, fast forward to him as 007 next time round?

I don’t really like the idea of a 90s setting. If they ever did a period piece (which I’m not overly keen on anyway, I’m worried it’d feel inauthentic) then I’d prefer it if they set it in a decade we hadn’t actually seen in a Bond film before. 40s or 50s, World War 2 or the time of the early novels. I think I could get on board with that, despite generally preferring Bond to move forwards, and reflect the times. But I definitely don’t like the idea of them evoking memories of an era of cinematic Bond that’s already been and gone. Still though, it’s a more novel pitch than just setting one in the 60s again, I’ll give you that.

Couldn’t disagree more on Cavill too, I don’t think he’ll get an audition again and I’m pretty happy about that. He looks the part, but I just don’t think he’s capable enough as an actor. I thought he was very robotic in UNCLE, and Tom Cruise acted circles around him in MI. I‘m also not sure playing it safe is really what’s needed following Craig, I’d like to see someone reinvent it again personally. And I was a bit confused by this part

“But it is TIME for obvious and to use that imagery and safety and establishment to rebel against identity politics by championing genuine freedom and inclusivity.”

I’m struggling to grasp what you mean at all here to be honest.
    To me it sounds like they just want the franchise to "play it safe" after the Craig era.

I can sort of see why that sentiment might exist, but combined with Cavill hopes, it all feels a little "strive for mediocrity" to me.
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 3,273

Why would I want a return to the 90's, when it's easily the worst Bond decade. I literally have wiped out all the Brosnan films from my collection (and memory). To me, the franchise ends with LTK in 1989, and starts again with CR in 2005, after a very long hiatus.

The last thing I would want is a return to that Godawful era.
    Bond pulling out an iPod would not be a good look in any era, IMO.
  • To me it sounds like they just want the franchise to "play it safe" after the Craig era.

I can sort of see why that sentiment might exist, but combined with Cavill hopes, it all feels a little "strive for mediocrity" to me.

Yeah to be honest I want the opposite, something completely new. I’m ready to move on from the Craig era tropes, but that doesn’t mean I want to jump back to the old formula. I want another reinvention personally, and while I find it fun to kick ideas about, I don’t really have a set idea of what I want that reinvention to be. I’ve learned that the easiest way to be a Bond fan is to just leave your preconceptions and expectations at the door. The Craig era helped me to realise that, because I really wasn’t keen at first (it was just so different) but I gradually really warmed to it.

So, all I ask is they surprise me. And to be fair to them, they’ve been doing a pretty bloody good job of that for the last twenty years, so I’m sure they will.
    James Bond Beyond? :P Like Batman Beyond, set in the future. There was one great frame in one of the Dynamite comics where everyone was using a cellphone that had the Spectre logo on the back; maybe they could explore the idea where Spectre becomes a multinational, out in the open corporation and Bond has to try and take them down in that new landscape.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2021 Posts: 14,861
    To me it sounds like they just want the franchise to "play it safe" after the Craig era.

Yeah to be honest I want the opposite, something completely new. I’m ready to move on from the Craig era tropes, but that doesn’t mean I want to jump back to the old formula. I want another reinvention personally, and while I find it fun to kick ideas about, I don’t really have a set idea of what I want that reinvention to be. I’ve learned that the easiest way to be a Bond fan is to just leave your preconceptions and expectations at the door. The Craig era helped me to realise that, because I really wasn’t keen at first (it was just so different) but I gradually really warmed to it.

So, all I ask is they surprise me. And to be fair to them, they’ve been doing a pretty bloody good job of that for the last twenty years, so I’m sure they will.

Yes I'm the same, I'd like to be surprised too, but like you I haven't the faintest idea what they could do next! :)
    I don't envy them the task to be honest.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    I wouldn't mind a Bond film that deals with an occurrence during his time on the military (I'd prefer we stick to WWII), and simultaneously cuts back and forth to a "current" ('60s) mission that is related (surviving villain perhaps).