"Something for the weekend, Sir ?"

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited December 2017 Posts: 45,489
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Get the feeling it will be decorating the house Christmas style!

I have started, adding a little something here and there from today and until then.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    This weekend I'll be working on my old Volvo. The headlight reflectors have deteriorated so much from age that I can hardly see while night driving. A few weeks back, I ran over some weird piece of metal heading home after a late night. I couldn't see it until it was too late, and it took out my radiator fan and fan shroud. So I'll be replacing the damaged parts and upgrading to LED headlamps.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 13,879
    I ran over some weird piece of metal
    Might've been a caltrop. Just watch out for those roof-mounted rockets, @BMW_with_missiles.
    QBranch wrote: »
    I ran over some weird piece of metal
    Might've been a caltrop. Just watch out for those roof-mounted rockets, @BMW_with_missiles.

I plan on installing a few additional "refinements" to deal with such things, @QBranch .
    Wise man. Best of luck with getting your car fixed. Are you a mechanic, or are you like me, and have limited knowledge, but know how to service a car?
    Wise man. Best of luck with getting your car fixed. Are you a mechanic, or are you like me, and have limited knowledge, but know how to service a car?

I have basic knowledge of how to service a car, and I learn the rest as I go along. I've always had a knack for working on electronics and mechanical devices, and I'm in the middle of earning my Certified Electronics Technician certificate.
    Nice one. I can find my way around an engine bay, and probably replace a few parts if I had to, but I stay away from the engine itself. I thought about getting into electronics, but not as a trade, more as a hobby, just so I can make some of the more complex Bond props. I bought a few electronics kits - circuitboards, LEDs, a soldering iron etc. so I can practice a bit. I haven't learned to solder yet, but am looking forward to making a start.
    Nice one. I can find my way around an engine bay, and probably replace a few parts if I had to, but I stay away from the engine itself. I thought about getting into electronics, but not as a trade, more as a hobby, just so I can make some of the more complex Bond props. I bought a few electronics kits - circuitboards, LEDs, a soldering iron etc. so I can practice a bit. I haven't learned to solder yet, but am looking forward to making a start.

Soldering isn't as though as a lot of people make it sound. It's the kind of thing where, with a little hands on practice, you'll have it in no time. It never hurts to have some solder wicking around to clean up any mistakes.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Which Volvo @ BMW ?.
    Mrcoggins wrote: »
    Which Volvo @ BMW ?.

@Mrcoggins It's a 2000 Volvo S70 non-turbo. Currently at 188,000 miles. Good car, but it has some transmission issues.
    The reason I ask is that with an upgrade to led headlamps you will need to watch the extra heat they generate inside the headlight housings.
    @Mrcoggins Good to know. Do you recommend that I leave the dust covers off my headlight housing? I've seen videos where people have installed similar bulbs on my car and they put the covers back on the housing afterward, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea since these bulbs have cooling fans on the back. I'm not sure if it's a good idea to close that in.
    Leaving the dust covers off is not a great idea mate, as you will have problems with the ingress of moisture to the headlamps ,on your car do you have the soft covers that fit over he rear housing,or are they the hard plastic ones that rotate and lock into place ?.
    They're the hard plastic ones. I've been driving with them in place, but I have been concerned about heat build up.
    Right then if you have headlamps with a vent stub on the top near the front cross member, this should have a small length of rubber or plastic hose that goes through a 90 degrees bend ,you need to modify the hard plastic covers to ensure that the heat can be dissipated this can be achieved by drilling a series of holes in the cover ,more of which later.!
    Next thing is How Much ? Room do you have between the rear part of the led and fan unit and the cover when it's in it's correct position.
    I would say there's about an inch of clearance between the back of the bulb and the cover. I'll have to look for the hose you mentioned.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 3,144
    Part Two. Remove the plastic covers from the headlamps lay them flat on the bench and with a 13mm drill bit make a hole in the centre of the dust cover so that the hole is directly behind the rear of the lamp&fan assembly .
    Then note the Top position of the cover when fitted and mark with a suitable method the position of 12 o'clock e.g. Straight upward
    Return the cover to the bench,and treat the rear of the cover as a clock face with the top being 12 then you need to mark the position of I &2 o'clock on the right side and 11 & 10 on the left side draw or scribe a line through all the marks you have made down the cover to the centre hole hat you have drilled
    Then at an equal distance from the hole in the middle to the outside edge drill a series of holes on the line that you have made only one per clock division is required the size of hole is that of a 3mm drill bit
    That should give you enough air flow to the fan and any heatsink on the lamp unit.
    I hope this has been of some help to you.@BMW.
    Thank you very much @Mrcoggins !
    I aim to please.
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Get the feeling it will be decorating the house Christmas style!

I have started, adding a little something here and there from today and until then.

Got it all done eventually, although I have already decided that next Christmas their will be a nice little 007 addition to this years exterior decorations!
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 19,339
    2 weeks until Christmas,fellow 007 nerds.
    Doing anything nice,or anything not ?

I'm leaving work at 12.30GMT today so heading off home and then off for a pub lunch with my gal ..yum yum .
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited December 2017 Posts: 45,489
    Making Christmas presents for everyone I know. Flogging kittens to make them mittens.

I know, I am such a warm-hearted guy.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Working
    LA Auto Show for me today! Looking forward to seeing some beautiful cars, especially the Astons.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    LA Auto Show for me today! Looking forward to seeing some beautiful cars, especially the Astons.

Where in LA (I think that I told you that I lived there for many years, By Area now).

It's at the LA Convention Center. I'm letting a friend drive since I don't know that particular area.
    I'm in Frazier Park, in Kern county.
    Thoughts from the auto show today:

I used to think the Polaris Slingshot was dumb. Now I have to own one. Surprisingly comfortable; I could picture myself flooring it with the stupidest grin on my face.

Honda's build quality has fallen through the floor. The interior components were some of the cheapest, lousiest ones there. The rear hatch on the Civic Type-R on display was broken so that it wouldn't shut and it had duct tape on it.

Mitsubishi was the only company with cheaper feeling interior than Honda.

Kia's build quality has greatly improved. Their interior bits seemed well constructed and I was rather impressed with the new Stinger.

Aston Martin needs a bigger presence at this event, and they should have let people sit in one of their cars like most of the other manufacturers.

I want a Jaguar F-Type (not a surprise)

I want a Mazda MX-5 (also not a surprise)

I could actually see myself enjoying a Fiat Spider or 500 Abarth (a bit of a surprise to me)

The new Lincolin Continental is exceedingly luxurious, in a very American, car-for-the-elderly sort of way. I was impressed. It seems like the sort of car that you would be driven around in, rather than drive yourself. A very spacious, comfortable car.

The Redspace electric car has all the sex appeal of a blender. Looks like one too.

Lexus tops Mercedes in luxury, cabin quietness, and price point.

BMW and Audi were underwhelming, especially compared to remarkably comparable options from Kia at a much lower price.

Hyundai's new luxury spin-off brand, Genesis, is a decidedly "meh" offering; nothing special and nothing impressive, with lower interior quality than I expected. This is especially surprising considering that they are the same company as Kia, whose new interiors were quite appealing.

The Tesla Model S was nice to sit in. It did seem well made and the center touch screen was as huge as I'd heard, but perhaps I was expecting to be more wowed due to all the hype I had heard about the brand prior to experiencing an example for myself. I can't say that there was anything wrong with it though.

The Ampere electric car prototype looks like something I built in my garage. I'd be pretty terrified to drive it. Still, you have to give credit to what is undoubtedly a small, low-budget, start-up trying to make it big. Perhaps the people behind it will deliver something good in the future. After all, it was just a prototype, and I'd guess an early one at that.
  • Andi1996RueggAndi1996Ruegg Hello. It's me, Evelyn Tremble.
    It's my last weekend in the army for 2017. Naturally, we have some adolescent fun at the base and doing some daring stunts for everybody's entertainment, after all we're the elite of the Swiss army ha ha....
    Thoughts from the auto show today:

I used to think the Polaris Slingshot was dumb. Now I have to own one. Surprisingly comfortable; I could picture myself flooring it with the stupidest grin on my face.

Honda's build quality has fallen through the floor. The interior components were some of the cheapest, lousiest ones there. The rear hatch on the Civic Type-R on display was broken so that it wouldn't shut and it had duct tape on it.

Mitsubishi was the only company with cheaper feeling interior than Honda.

Kia's build quality has greatly improved. Their interior bits seemed well constructed and I was rather impressed with the new Stinger.

Aston Martin needs a bigger presence at this event, and they should have let people sit in one of their cars like most of the other manufacturers.

I want a Jaguar F-Type (not a surprise)

I want a Mazda MX-5 (also not a surprise)

I could actually see myself enjoying a Fiat Spider or 500 Abarth (a bit of a surprise to me)

The new Lincolin Continental is exceedingly luxurious, in a very American, car-for-the-elderly sort of way. I was impressed. It seems like the sort of car that you would be driven around in, rather than drive yourself. A very spacious, comfortable car.

The Redspace electric car has all the sex appeal of a blender. Looks like one too.

Lexus tops Mercedes in luxury, cabin quietness, and price point.

BMW and Audi were underwhelming, especially compared to remarkably comparable options from Kia at a much lower price.

Hyundai's new luxury spin-off brand, Genesis, is a decidedly "meh" offering; nothing special and nothing impressive, with lower interior quality than I expected. This is especially surprising considering that they are the same company as Kia, whose new interiors were quite appealing.

The Tesla Model S was nice to sit in. It did seem well made and the center touch screen was as huge as I'd heard, but perhaps I was expecting to be more wowed due to all the hype I had heard about the brand prior to experiencing an example for myself. I can't say that there was anything wrong with it though.

The Ampere electric car prototype looks like something I built in my garage. I'd be pretty terrified to drive it. Still, you have to give credit to what is undoubtedly a small, low-budget, start-up trying to make it big. Perhaps the people behind it will deliver something good in the future. After all, it was just a prototype, and I'd guess an early one at that.

No photos ?
    In true but not accurate Bond style, the car blew up earlier this week! So today, we have just bought a new car with cold hard cash! I now know what it feels like to be an overpaid footballer!! Lol!