No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• edited August 2017 Posts: 2,598
    There were good things about Spectre too and I still would choose this movie over any of the Brosnan films...except for maybe Goldeneye.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    So that's all good then, sits back in armchair with smug grin !!
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 3,167
    So a clean slate with Bond#26 (...) it would make a nice change to have a full on proper Bond film.

That's not going to happen. I'm sure they are going to try to reinvent the franchise again and hire the right director for this. A reboot has been done now. So that's off the table. But still digging into the character of Bond (they struck gold with this), is an option.
    Murdock wrote: »
    Now we just need to know who will direct and most importantly compose the film. ;)

Fingers crossed for David Arnold.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Bounine wrote: »
    ...There were good things about Spectre too and I still would choose this movie over any of the Brosnan films...except for maybe Goldeneye.

Absolutely, I really enjoyed SP placing it as Craig's second best. You don't make an $900 million grossing 'bad' movie that often.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Benny wrote: »
    So a clean slate with Bond#26 (which I now can't see happening in 2022), then? *sighs* Fine. But please, could we finally have a straightforward film, that doesn't disappear up it's own arse. I won't hold my breath, but it would make a nice change to have a full on proper Bond film.

60th Anniversary. New Bond actor. OO7...number 7.
    I hope EON pull out a GE or CR style film. Masses of hype.
    They've delivered in the past on such things. No reason to think B26 would be any different. Especially considering it will be the start of a new Bond actors tenure.

A new Bond actor in the 60th anniversary year... that would be good publicity. But doing both at once would add pressure to an already tense time for them. Assuming that EON intend on releasing another film in an anniversary year, this is one of the reasons why I wanted Bond#25 to be a clean slate. Debut the new Bond in 2019, and then release his second film to mark the Diamond anniversary.

I think it's the perfect time to launch OO7th actor as OO7.
    Diamond anniversary. Do a straight, no holds barred Bond film. Every Bond actors debut film has been generally well received by audiences. DN, OHMSS, LALD, TLD,GE, CR.
    Cast Bond #7 right, give him a good director and script, and it's looking good. EON have thankfully done this several times already, so I would have faith in them.
    Who knows, even Turner might be perfectly capable of taking on the role then. ;)

I'm thinking about the added pressure. But Turner for twenty two has a nice ring to it.

Puts him at 39 for his debut. Some would argue that he's possibly too old for his first film. ;)
    I have to say, I'd rather Turner for #26, than Tom Hardy.
    but we're looking way, way into the future there. Bond 25 hasn't started...anything aside from the obvious. Release date, lead, writers.

He's become a punchline around here, but I do think Turner is the best choice for Bond #7. I don't want Hardy as Bond, in fact, I would rather see Hiddleston as Bond than Hardy.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    ...There were good things about Spectre too and I still would choose this movie over any of the Brosnan films...except for maybe Goldeneye.

Absolutely, I really enjoyed SP placing it as Craig's second best. You don't make an $900 million grossing 'bad' movie that often.

Exhibit A: The Transformers series.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 2,598
    RC7 wrote: »
    "Daniel Craig will become the longest serving James Bond actor when Bond 25 is released in cinemas. On the day of the US release, he will have been 007 for 5,139+ days, pipping the late Sir Roger Moore's 5,118 days in the role."

I don't really think that these stats are anything to write home about. Roger Moore may have been Bond for a shorter time but he did 7 films within his tenure.

Actually I think it's pretty incredible. If you'd asked a bookie for odds on Craig lasting longer than Moore on the day he was announced I bet you'd now be cashing in some serious money.

Craig got to have longer breaks between the films though and expand on his creative talents from working on other productions. Maybe if he were making Bond flicks every two years, he would have bailed earlier.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Well, I'm glad Craig is back from the point of view that he will take one for the team and prevent P+W from infecting yet another era. I expect a clean slate with Bond 26.

I know your all partying it up right now, and justifiably so since you got what you wanted, but what does this really mean, and what gets you so excited about this? All we know is Craig is back, P+W is writing and it'll come out in 2019. If I were you I wouldn't be excited, but deeply nervous. No tenure has ever ended on a high, and Craig simply stating that it's their intention to do so doesn't exactly make it happen. I mean, I expect it was their intention for SP to become as beloved as SF, and that didn't happen did it?

Regardless, I want it on record - this film (Bond 25) will be mediocre at best. I'm not the least bit optimistic about them ending on a high. I'm glad for the Craigites they will get to see their man in a tux once more. Just temper that hype a bit, as there's a good chance you won't get the film you were expecting, just like I haven't.

The one bit of news that would make me happy now is if WB won the rights. Bond 26 is the best chance we'll get of a clean slate, so bring on the Nolan trilogy, and fill in that 3 film tenure spot.

@Mendes4Lyfe, don't be such a spoilsport. Speaking for myself, I am excited by the simple idea that I hopefully won't have to hear Turner's name suggested for the role again until at least 2020, if even that soon (Fleming preserve me). That peace alone is quite rewarding, and dare I say triumphant.

As for everything else, I love how the era has gone and overall find it exactly to my liking, so why wouldn't I be positive about this? Hard to be deeply nervous when a team I enjoy and love is continuing again, and things are finally set in stone for it to go on for one more. I wouldn't call it hyping things up just because I choose not to be negative or bitter about the news, the same attitude that has been cancerous to this place for so long. Perhaps one should suck it up, realize what has happened and try to look positively at it, hoping for the best? At the very least save the damnation and judgments for when the trailer finally drops or you see the movie, instead of criticizing things blindly and assuming. Overall, I challenge your postulation that Bond 25 will be a poor film, an argument supported by your past misreads of so much related to Bond 25, least of which being Dan's involvement.

I understand you've gotten a bitter taste now and are feeling disappointed. You aren't alone in this, trust me. This footage was taken while a special someone was viewing the Colbert interview, reacting live to Dan's big announcement:

tumblr_mp8cltThAY1rehpo5o3_250.gif

One day, maybe. One day.

I fail to see how that's sour grapes. I congratulated the Craigites for guessing correctly. Just be careful what you wish for, I guess.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I fail to see how that's sour grapes. I congratulated the Craigites for guessing correctly. Just be careful what you wish for, I guess.

Just because some of us wanted Craig back doesn't make us all "Craigites."

Exhibit B: Titanic
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 11,425
    There were good things about Spectre too and I still would choose this movie over any of the Brosnan films...except for maybe Goldeneye.

Ah, that rare sound - the voice of reason.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 170
    This was expected, and actually I'm glad Craig has one more film to finish off SP rather than leave a loose end or saddle a new actor with the SP mess. However just to point out the obvious: Craig at 50 is too old to play a double 0. At 50 you're way past your physical prime, look even at sports which don't require physical exertion like snooker. You don't get 50 year old champions because other things like eyesight & concentration have deteriorated at that point as well. By 50 007 will certainly have been pensioned off.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Well, I'm glad Craig is back from the point of view that he will take one for the team and prevent P+W from infecting yet another era. I expect a clean slate with Bond 26.

I know your all partying it up right now, and justifiably so since you got what you wanted, but what does this really mean, and what gets you so excited about this? All we know is Craig is back, P+W is writing and it'll come out in 2019. If I were you I wouldn't be excited, but deeply nervous. No tenure has ever ended on a high, and Craig simply stating that it's their intention to do so doesn't exactly make it happen. I mean, I expect it was their intention for SP to become as beloved as SF, and that didn't happen did it?

Regardless, I want it on record - this film (Bond 25) will be mediocre at best. I'm not the least bit optimistic about them ending on a high. I'm glad for the Craigites they will get to see their man in a tux once more. Just temper that hype a bit, as there's a good chance you won't get the film you were expecting, just like I haven't.

The one bit of news that would make me happy now is if WB won the rights. Bond 26 is the best chance we'll get of a clean slate, so bring on the Nolan trilogy, and fill in that 3 film tenure spot.

@Mendes4Lyfe, don't be such a spoilsport. Speaking for myself, I am excited by the simple idea that I hopefully won't have to hear Turner's name suggested for the role again until at least 2020, if even that soon (Fleming preserve me). That peace alone is quite rewarding, and dare I say triumphant.

As for everything else, I love how the era has gone and overall find it exactly to my liking, so why wouldn't I be positive about this? Hard to be deeply nervous when a team I enjoy and love is continuing again, and things are finally set in stone for it to go on for one more. I wouldn't call it hyping things up just because I choose not to be negative or bitter about the news, the same attitude that has been cancerous to this place for so long. Perhaps one should suck it up, realize what has happened and try to look positively at it, hoping for the best? At the very least save the damnation and judgments for when the trailer finally drops or you see the movie, instead of criticizing things blindly and assuming. Overall, I challenge your postulation that Bond 25 will be a poor film, an argument supported by your past misreads of so much related to Bond 25, least of which being Dan's involvement.

I understand you've gotten a bitter taste now and are feeling disappointed. You aren't alone in this, trust me. This footage was taken while a special someone was viewing the Colbert interview, reacting live to Dan's big announcement:

One day, maybe. One day.

Well, your whole post essentially reads, "Congratulations, but watch out, cause chances are it'll suck like I'm super sure it will!" Everyone here knows what you really wanted, and have wanted for the past two years, so it's normal to feel a bit bitter about how things have gone. Inevitable, really. When fantasy is tricked into being reality it is brutal when that reality shows cracks for oneself.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 14,862

I stand corrected. :D

And I completely forgot the most over rated polished turd of them all.
    Very good news. As many of you know I'm very reluctant about having a Bond in his fifties but given the lack of credible successors (from the names mentioned here and elsewhere) I think that gives them time to prepare the succession properly.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Great news! Let's hope it's a Bond film that Showcase's Craig's talent.

He looks in great shape. Probably could do 3 more Bonds!
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Very good news. As many of you know I'm very reluctant about having a Bond in his fifties but given the lack of credible successors (from the names mentioned here and elsewhere) I think that gives them time to prepare the succession properly.

I guess if Craig has confirmed this will be his last film, essentially EON could by right also be scouting for Bond number 7. Not that they don't have a list of potentials on hand already. It's not like they don't test actors out from time to time. They've even admitted as such in interviews.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2017 Posts: 15,690
    I hope that if we are in for another 4 year gap, people will give SPECTRE another chance between now and 2019, then maybe more people will end up enjoying it.

I think Turner is credible but happy to let Craig's Bond tie off his personal issues that are currently threatening world domination

One day, maybe. One day.

Well, your whole post essentially reads, "Congratulations, but watch out, cause chances are it'll suck like I'm super sure it will!" Everyone here knows what you really wanted, and have wanted for the past two years, so it's normal to feel a bit bitter about how things have gone. Inevitable, really. When fantasy is tricked into being reality it is brutal when that reality shows cracks for oneself.

I was just adding a measure of caution to precedings. I think its important we stay grounded and not let ourselves get carried away. I hate to be a killjoy, but I just don't see the rationale in hyping up the final Craig film when its clear that no lessons have been learned. The Bond franchise is basically the "keep Craig happy" train at the moment, and that won't stop until there's a new actor. There needs to be a power shift before things can get better. Handing Craig more and more control simply isn't working, but that's what they are intent on at the moment, so its safe to assume the results will play out like they have been. There's far more logic to a cautious approach at this stage, rather than throwing a party because Craig will have his face on the poster.
    I hope that if we are in for another 4 year gap, people will give SPECTRE another chance between now and 2019, then maybe more people will end up enjoying it.

Yes, I liked SP a lot then. I said it was an 8/10 film. What's your point?

I guess if Craig has confirmed this will be his last film, essentially EON could by right also be scouting for Bond number 7. Not that they don't have a list of potentials on hand already. It's not like they don't test actors out from time to time. They've even admitted as such in interviews.

Then they don't have to rush things and go for the flavor of the month.
    Good glad to see Craig return
  • RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote: »
    "Daniel Craig will become the longest serving James Bond actor when Bond 25 is released in cinemas. On the day of the US release, he will have been 007 for 5,139+ days, pipping the late Sir Roger Moore's 5,118 days in the role."

I don't really think that these stats are anything to write home about. Roger Moore may have been Bond for a shorter time but he did 7 films within his tenure.

Actually I think it's pretty incredible. If you'd asked a bookie for odds on Craig lasting longer than Moore on the day he was announced I bet you'd now be cashing in some serious money.

Craig got to have longer breaks between the films though and expand on his creative talents from working on other productions. Maybe if he were making Bond flicks every two years, he would have bailed earlier.

Maybe, but he didn't. He'll be the longest serving Bond come B25 and I stand by the fact nobody saw that coming back in '05.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 11,425
    The_Donald wrote: »
    This was expected, and actually I'm glad Craig has one more film to finish off SP rather than leave a loose end or saddle a new actor with the SP mess. However just to point out the obvious: Craig at 50 is too old to play a double 0. At 50 you're way past your physical prime, look even at sports which don't require physical exertion like snooker. You don't get 50 year old champions because other things like eyesight & concentration have deteriorated at that point as well. By 50 007 will certainly have been pensioned off.

Yes but this is the movies not the 'real world'. Bond has never been a plausible secret agent. The character is total fiction. A fantasy world.

Le Carre puts it well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p046lrnn
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2017 Posts: 15,690

Yes, I liked SP a lot then. I said it was an 8/10 film. What's your point?

I have none, just wondering what happened to make you abandon your enthusiasm:
    I feel a similar way. I want Mendes/Craig back to make it a trilogy.
    If SPECTRE does end up making over a billion then rest assured, we will get Craig's YOLT. I can't wait to see what batsh&t insane OTT stuff will happen in B25 if SP is mega successful :D

• edited August 2017 Posts: 14,816
    Getafix wrote: »
    The_Donald wrote: »

Yes but this is the movies not the 'real world'. Bond has never been a plausible secret agent. The character is total fiction. A fantasy world.

Le Carre puts it well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p046lrnn

Bond is still a human being, not Superman or a Jedi or whatever. Bottom line I wouldn't want him to be like Captain Picard at the end of Nemesis.

That said I'm happy Craig returns for one more.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883

One day, maybe. One day.

I was just adding a measure of caution to precedings. I think its important we stay grounded and not let ourselves get carried away. I hate to be a killjoy, but I just don't see the rationale in hyping up the final Craig film when its clear that no lessons have been learned. The Bond franchise is basically the "keep Craig happy" train at the moment, and that won't stop until there's a new actor. There needs to be a power shift before things can get better. Handing Craig more and more control simply isn't working, but that's what they are intent on at the moment, so its safe to assume the results will play out like they have been. There's far more logic to a cautious approach at this stage, rather than throwing a party because Craig will have his face on the poster.
    I don't disagree, but am optimistic that they can give us a decent outing with B25. Craig indicated that he wants to 'go out on a high' and that's reassuring. As long as he can bring his trademark intensity to the role and give up on the smirks I'll be satisfied.

The script has to be top notch, with really good dialogue and character moments. A few big action set pieces are all that's required to keep me happy.

I can live with Waltz coming back, although I'd prefer if he wasn't the main villain because I'm done with his shtick. The only character and actress I'd rather not see again is Lea Seydoux as Madeleine Swann.

I hope this film is a critical success. Not for Craig necessarily (as I've said, to me the actor is just a transient), but for the future of the franchise.

I remain quite surprised about how and when the announcement was made and how it transpired after what was said earlier in the day.
    Did he just come outright and say it or was it coaxed out of him ?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    He gladly said it outright.