No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    Very good to hear indeed @peter. Thank you!
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Has anyone else noticed the woeful reporting in @MI6 article on the Rami Malek and Billy Magnussen news?

https://www.mi6-hq.com/news/casting-continues-for-bond-25-newly-oscar-crowned-rami-malek-back-in-contention-190228

Yikes.

The amount of spelling and grammatical errors is terrible. Many of the sentences don't scan at all well. Additionally, there are numerous erroneous claims.

This isn't even GCSE English standard.
    Give it a rest.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited March 2019 Posts: 5,869
    Actually, thinking about it, it's a shame the Mission Impossible franchise got the jump on Vanessa Kirby because she would've been brilliant as this rumoured MI6 agent, or any kind of Bond girl to be honest. I imagine her chemistry with Craig would've been off the charts. I think she was fantastic as Princess Margaret.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Actually, thinking about it, it's a shame the Mission Impossible franchise got the jump on Vanessa Kirby because she would've been brilliant as this rumoured MI6 agent, or any kind of Bond girl to be honest. I imagine her chemistry with Craig would've been off the charts. I think she was fantastic as Princess Margaret.

There are plenty of terrific candidates for the role. Including this woman:

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Has anyone else noticed the woeful reporting in @MI6 article on the Rami Malek and Billy Magnussen news?

https://www.mi6-hq.com/news/casting-continues-for-bond-25-newly-oscar-crowned-rami-malek-back-in-contention-190228

Yikes.

The amount of spelling and grammatical errors is terrible. Many of the sentences don't scan at all well. Additionally, there are numerous erroneous claims.

What do you hope to achieve by posting this?
    It's flaming if anything. As @jake24 said, give it a rest.
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 565
    Benny wrote: »

Yikes.

I have a job in which the general public goes straight to social media to comment/raise a complaint which only serves to stir the pot instead of getting corrective measures in place. Sometimes a private message to the right people is all it takes.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited March 2019 Posts: 2,541
    JamesStock wrote: »

Yikes.

I have a job in which the general public goes straight to social media to comment/raise a complaint which only serves to stir the pot instead of getting corrective measures in place. Sometimes a private message to the right people is all it takes.

Well said
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I had a dream that Elton John provided the theme song, and the title sequence was a Maddy flashback in monochrome blue. Precognition, perhaps?
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 2,598
    It’s going to feel strange attending the Bond 25 screening in April; for so many years the films have been released close to Christmas. I count October as being close to Christmas. If I’m not mistaken, the last Bond film that wasn’t released in the last quarter was LTK. I was 12 when this came out. Remember seeing it in the cinema with my mother, sister and her friend. I recall afterwards, my mother saying that the Bond films had become quite violent. I think she was referring to when Bond set Sanchez on fire. All good. :)
    JamesStock wrote: »

Yikes.

• Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Am I the only one who’s not excited about Rami Malek as the main Bond villain?
    What films should I watch to change this opinion?
    I have visions of another QoS style villain i.e. forgettable!
    I haven't seen Malek in any movies/shows, but in that 'I'm a fan' video and interviews, I totally see what others do when they say he has a somewhat eccentric and creepy air about him. Plus, he dresses like a Bond villain too. Very excited to see what EON do with him.

Just check out when he says, "I'm a fan of mischief" and the stare soon after:

The remake of Papillon.

I see him as all brain, but no brawl. He's got as much punch as Boris in Goldeneye.

• ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited March 2019 Posts: 2,541
    QBranch wrote: »
    I haven't seen Malek in any movies/shows, but in that 'I'm a fan' video and interviews, I totally see what others do when they say he has a somewhat eccentric and creepy air about him. Plus, he dresses like a Bond villain too. Very excited to see what EON do with him.

Oh my he is too good can't wait to see him in bond25 , as he said and I quote "I am a fan".
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 6,677
    Zekidk wrote: »

The remake of Papillon.

I see him as all brain, but no brawl. He's got as much punch as Boris in Goldeneye.

Nop, he's got ten times the presence and charisma that Alan Cumming has. Cummings didn't even manage to keep a tv show afloat. Instinct was awful and so was he as a main character. Now, Mr. Robot is groundbreaking to say the least, and the screen lights up with every weird intervention by Mr. Malek.

That being said, I wouldn't be caught dead watching the remake of Papillon. I'm too much of a fan of Mr. Mcqueen and Mr. Hoffman, and of the original.
    Univex wrote: »

The remake of Papillon.

Nop, he's got ten times the presence and charisma that Alan Cumming has.

You are comparing actors, I was comparing characters.
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 6,677
    Univex wrote: »

The remake of Papillon.

Nop, he's got ten times the presence and charisma that Alan Cumming has.

You are comparing actors, I was comparing characters.

Ok, but in that regard, I was taking range. And Cumming doesn't have range to play anything other than a geeky character, like Boris. He couldn't be menacing and convey danger if he wanted to. That's actually why Boris works as a character.

Malek, on the other hand, has punch, as you say. Punch, here, as strength of presence, not physical menace, of course. In that regard, Cumming and Malek brawling would be a difficult fight to predict ;) lol Quite right on that front, @Zedidk.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer

I'll give Malek the benefit of the doubt, but I've always thought of him as a young kid with those innocent eyes he has. Nothing sinister-looking about him at all.

I'll give Malek the benefit of the doubt, but I've always thought of him as a young kid with those innocent eyes he has. Nothing sinister-looking about him at all.

There is something creepy and off-centre about him which I think they will exploit well.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited March 2019 Posts: 4,043
    I know Dominic Greene was many peoples favourite villain but I found Almaric to be subtlety effective in the role and just because his physical presence might not threaten Bond there is something truly creepy about Greene.

The big bads of old weren't exactly that much of a physical presence anyway, it was the power they yielded. I mean Drax or Stromberg were no match for Bond neither was Goldfinger, Largo any of the Blofeld's for that matter.

It was about what they had at their disposal and their intellect.

Why does Bond have to have fisticuffs with Malek very possible villain anyway? Even if he did, Greene routine with the Axe was quite sadistic despite him having no chance physically matching Bond.

Villains don't have to be able to beat the good guy, can you imagine a punch up between Jake Gittes and Noah Cross, Jake would flaw Cross in no time but that isn't the point and Cross is one of the greatest and most abominable villains in cinema history, they don't all have to be Darth Vader.

Malek will be an intelligent but most definitely psychotic villain like Greene was but he'll have people at his disposal to do his bidding.

So all this Malek doesn't look threatening is a moot point, if he exudes a creepiness and has brilliant mind I'll be happy with his interpretation.

Look we haven't a clue what to expect and it's bloody exciting if you ask me, so who knows what kind of villain he's playing.
    The idea that he might be from Mr White's past and comes for revenge against him with Swann definitely has possibilities but its mere speculation, this is a very different place to where we were last time by this point, the positives for me far out weight the negatives.

Oh my he is too good can't wait to see him in bond25 , as he said and I quote "I am a fan".

Him and I have many things in common. Malek for the brain villain! :)

edited March 2019 Posts: 13,929
    @Shardlake Spot on.
    @Shardlake Spot on.
    Shardlake wrote: »
    I know Dominic Greene was many peoples favourite villain but I found Almaric to be subtlety effective in the role and just because his physical presence might not threaten Bond there is something truly creepy about Greene.

The big bads of old weren't exactly that much of a physical presence anyway, it was the power they yielded. I mean Drax or Stromberg were no match for Bond neither was Goldfinger, Largo any of the Blofeld's for that matter.

Why does Bond have to have fisticuffs with Malek very possible villain anyway? Even if he did, Greene routine with the Axe was quite sadistic despite him having no chance physically matching Bond.

Villains don't have to be able to beat the good guy, can you imagine a punch up between Jake Gittes and Noah Cross, Jake would flaw Cross in no time but that isn't the point and Cross is one of the greatest and most abominable villains in cinema history, they don't all have to be Darth Vader.

Malek will be an intelligent but most definitely psychotic villain like Greene was but he'll have people at his disposal to do his bidding.

So all this Malek doesn't look threatening is a moot point, if he exudes a creepiness and has brilliant mind I'll be happy with his interpretation.

Look we haven't a clue what to expect and it's bloody exciting if you ask me, so who knows what kind of villain he's playing.
    The idea that he might be from Mr White's past and comes for revenge against him with Swann definitely has possibilities but its mere speculation, this is a very different place to where we were last time by this point, the positives for me far out weight the negatives.

I just hope Eon use his talent to the full and inject some decent character movement into the film. This is the real issue.
    They're in good hands with Fukunaga. I have little doubt he'll get the best performances out of the actors chosen.
    ColonelSun wrote: »

There is something creepy and off-centre about him which I think they will exploit well.

That's the thing I like most about Malek. He doesn't scream 'Bond villain'.
    However there is something about his look and acting that makes him unpredictable and surprising. You're not sure what he's going to do. There's something in his eyes and body movement. I think he's a very good actor, and if he's cast will look forward to see what he brings.
    @QBranch Here’s hoping but Bond is producer driven...

I hadn’t realized Malek was an American. I always thought he was British for some reason.
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 4,619
    Why does the 007 instagram account keep posting the same photos and gifs we all have seen THOUSANDS of times already? If they actually employed people who know something about marketing they would have already started posting some non-spoiler behind the scenes pics related to Bond 25. Daniel working out, a pic of Cary Fukunaga at Pinewood, anything!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    ColonelSun wrote: »

Shardlake wrote: »

Yes, agree with all of this. There's something very unsettling about Malek. I could certainly see him pulling off the legs of an insect, and treating human beings in the exact same fashion.
    Bounine wrote: »
    I hadn’t realized Malek was an American. I always thought he was British for some reason.

Since 2006's 'Night at the Museum' where he had a small role as an egyptian pharao with a thick british accent, I thought so, too.
    C1aBu.jpg

Alright, I'm calling it. Rami and Sami Malek as Jack and Seraffimo Spang.