No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• edited February 2019 Posts: 4,619
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    without finishing blofelds story.
    If you want to see the end of Blofeld's story, feel free to rewatch the end of Spectre any time. The end of that film is the end of Blofeld's story. He has been defeated and will rot in prison for the rest of his life.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    jake24 wrote: »
    So
    it will be a flashback scene. Disappointing. Crazy theory: Madeleine and not Bond will be the central character of Bond 25.
    Yeah, I'd prefer of we kept these theories in spoiler tags. Discussing the details of the article is one thing but please be mindful of those who still want to follow production but don't want to know any major spoilers. Thanks.
    You posted major spoilers without spoiler tags on the previous page. Just saying...
    I don't see how comparing the vague details of what we already know to an unreleated film is a major spoiler, considering many have already been making the comparison for years.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    This speculation makes little sense.
    It has shades of Austin Powers in Goldmember, where Liz Hurley is retconned to be a fembot, in a scene that plays for laughs. Swann wasn't a great partner to Bond, not as much as the script assumed that she was, but turning her into a villain, a sleeper agent with an origins story is a terrible idea.

Also, it would confuse audiences, after four years and a half. "Hey, this is the young version of the very forgettable love interest for Bond in Spectre, Whatshername Swann. So, she's back? And she's actually a villain? Yawn..."

Sure, MI:Fallout had a returning Ilsa Faust in a part intended to be ambiguous at the beginning, but Rebecca Ferguson had made a much bigger impression in Rogue Nation, with more screen time, and there was just a three-year gap.

I think that the footage of a young Madeleine running through the lake and diving into it will work in parallel with a scene where an adult Madeleine is in a similar life and death situation, but ultimately loses the fight. It would show (rather than tell) that she was indeed a doomed character, faced with violence and the loss of her innocence at a young age, something that Spectre wasn't able to suggest. It would give her weight, and some kind of connection with Bond's own take on life, before she dies, justifying Bond's mourning and will for a revenge.

I like what you wrote a lot.
    Me too. Makes a lot more sense.

technically we dont know if its a spoiler until the film comes out
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 3,168
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    without finishing blofelds story.
    the end of Blofeld's story. He has been defeated and will rot in prison for the rest of his life.

Well, Mr White escaped capture, Silva escaped etc...
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 17,279
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    So
    it will be a flashback scene. Disappointing. Crazy theory: Madeleine and not Bond will be the central character of Bond 25.
    Yeah, I'd prefer of we kept these theories in spoiler tags. Discussing the details of the article is one thing but please be mindful of those who still want to follow production but don't want to know any major spoilers. Thanks.
    You posted major spoilers without spoiler tags on the previous page. Just saying...
    I don't see how comparing the vague details of what we already know to an unreleated film is a major spoiler, considering many have already been making the comparison for years.
    It has shades of Austin Powers in Goldmember, where Liz Hurley is retconned to be a fembot, in a scene that plays for laughs. Swann wasn't a great partner to Bond, not as much as the script assumed that she was, but turning her into a villain, a sleeper agent with an origins story is a terrible idea.

Also, it would confuse audiences, after four years and a half. "Hey, this is the young version of the very forgettable love interest for Bond in Spectre, Whatshername Swann. So, she's back? And she's actually a villain? Yawn..."

Sure, MI:Fallout had a returning Ilsa Faust in a part intended to be ambiguous at the beginning, but Rebecca Ferguson had made a much bigger impression in Rogue Nation, with more screen time, and there was just a three-year gap.

I think that the footage of a young Madeleine running through the lake and diving into it will work in parallel with a scene where an adult Madeleine is in a similar life and death situation, but ultimately loses the fight. It would show (rather than tell) that she was indeed a doomed character, faced with violence and the loss of her innocence at a young age, something that Spectre wasn't able to suggest. It would give her weight, and some kind of connection with Bond's own take on life, before she dies, justifying Bond's mourning and will for a revenge.

No, but might as well treat is as one for time being, right?

So

@Torgeirtrap yeah we got nothing else bond 25 related to talk about because we don't know what is going on yet
    Maybe Madeleine is the real “Blofeld,” or head of SPECTRE? Hidden in plain sight.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 17,279
    So

@Torgeirtrap yeah we got nothing else bond 25 related to talk about because we don't know what is going on yet

No, we don't, but it's an interesting piece of information for sure.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 6,677
    Hey, thanks to everyone who liked my treatment. I suppose it's the simpler route, and interesting at that. It resonates and creates some pathos, I believe. Now, the
    flashback could very well be made in form of a dream, and then connect to the present reality. Or it could tell the audience that Madeleine is indeed the real villain, having been turned much like Vesper was. Although I do find that to be a blatant repetition of the theme of betrayal. And we've had enough of that already in the cannon. Particularly in the Craig era. How stupid can Bond be? Fool me once, but twice? How naive of our hero. No, I'm willing to bet it's just a way to convey why their relationship can't work. Simple as that.
    So

Certainly the most interesting thing we’ve gotten yet. It may mean something like that’s been guessed or something else. I’m very intrigued and my interest is finally coming back to me. Just no more delays please!!!
    FoxRox wrote: »
    So

Certainly the most interesting thing we’ve gotten yet. It may mean something like that’s been guessed or something else. I’m very intrigued and my interest is finally coming back to me. Just no more delays please!!!

The dates mentioned for filming would indicate that they're on track! :-)
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    edited February 2019 Posts: 467
    Swann dying at the beginning of the movie and then the rest of the film being a revenge film would be even more boring and predictable than the scenario you are arguing against.

It may sound boring and predictable to the people who have read the novels, but not to the audiences.
    Besides, they have no obligation to follow the story or the setting from YOLT. They just have to respect a few beats, and they can make a lot of changes otherwise. No need for assisted suicide, a sword duel, Bond becoming agent 7777 or Japan. Hell, they don't even need to have Blofeld or Irma Bunt as the killers.

They have this rare opportunity to work with a Bond actor who has reached midlife, has serious drama chops and has been faced with Blofeld. They could have done it with Connery or Dalton (if the rights were available then), it would have been more difficult with Moore or Brosnan. If they really want to make a YOLT-like film, it's now or maybe in 15 years, provided that the next actor doesn't bring the franchise too much into the lightweight stuff. And you know what? The lightweight stuff will be much welcomed after Craig's tenure, SPECTRE will be part of the equation right from the start (rather than being shoehorned into entry number 4) and they will have a wider palette to write stories with.

When I first saw Skyfall, I had heard about Judi Dench's eyesight issues and that it was a little implausible for her to still be in charge of MI6 at 77. When I realized that she had a much bigger part, I knew that they had written the film as her sendoff. As soon as she mentioned her late husband and read the poem, I was sure that she would die. That didn't make the rest of the film boring or predictable.
    So

That's really the best part of it all.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    So

Agree. Definitely the most intriguing development we've had in terms of the actual story. Most of the discussion is indeed speculation but what we already know for certain is interesting enough in itself. Like you said, it can either be terrible or excellent. It depends heavily on how this sequence fits into the story.
    Univex wrote: »
    So

It really is!
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited February 2019 Posts: 10,588
    So

That's another interesting bit. It suggests that there is no definitive kick-off date for principle photography yet. I'm willing to bet a fair number of shots will already be in the can when they announce the title and cast. I don't think Pinewood filming will start until a bit later after Nittedal.
    So

First the filming was supposed to start in December, then on the 4th of March. We do know the filming will not start in just 6 days. I don't think it's such a great accomplishment to be on track after two delays.
    So

That's another interesting bit. It suggests that there is no definitive kick-off date for principle photography yet. I'm willing to bet a fair number of shots will already be in the can when they announce the title and cast. I don't think Pinewood filming will start until a bit later.

No word about any press conference, right? Do you guys think we could do without, this time around? I wouldn't mind the total secrecy. But I do like the spectacle of these presentations, if only to see our man Dan feeling awkward and debonair at the same time, as he always does. And to see the title card being unveiled, and desconstructing the font and making my first wallpaper out of it. Damn, no, I really want a press conference ;)
    So

That's another interesting bit. It suggests that there is no definitive kick-off date for principle photography yet. I'm willing to bet a fair number of shots will already be in the can when they announce the title and cast. I don't think Pinewood filming will start until a bit later.

And if this sequence only includes…
    two intruders and a child, then they can film the whole sequence without the involvement of the major cast.
    So

two intruders and a child, then they can film the whole sequence without the involvement of the major cast.

That's very true. Heck, they could be doing it as we speak ;) No, actually there's the filming dates, right? I guess that'll be like the palio in QOS - in the can when they start principal photography.
    So

That's very true. Heck, they could be doing it as we speak ;)

Filming of the sequence isn't planned for late March though –
    but it's interesting that they can (potentially) have a couple scenes completed before the main cast starts shooting their scenes.
    So

No word about any press conference, right? Do you guys think we could do without, this time around? I wouldn't mind the total secrecy. But I do like the spectacle of these presentations, if only to see our man Dan feeling awkward and debonair at the same time, as he always does. And to see the title card being unveiled, and desconstructing the font and making my first wallpaper out of it. Damn, no, I really want a press conference ;)

if they at least release a title and logo just something
    Interesting developments for the Norway sequence then?!!!!
    Honestly the flashback and making Swann the tragic character while formulaic is better then some soap opera drama abot bond and family taking the family station wagon to an amussment park...
  • Risico007 wrote: »
    Honestly the flashback and making Swann the tragic character while formulaic is better then some soap opera drama abot bond and family taking the family station wagon to an amussment park...
    Far better. Actually, if done correctly, this might actually work. I may have freaked a bit after first learning of this. The stuff about bond/ kid/ family would be an unmitigated nightmare though.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 104
    I wonder if we'll see Jesper Christensen once more.
    One has to seriously lack imagination to think that
    a "Bond has a child" scenario could not be done very well.
    In theory I'm sure it can, but I seriously doubt that's the route they're going in.
    Didn't they do something similar for
    Melina, in FYEO? Not a flashback, but still, plenty of drama there :), in order to create some character background and pathos. The undoing of her family and the start of her thirst for revenge. This could be done to accentuate Madeleine's trauma with that sort of life, and to further make her grow apart from Bond. Who knows? Still, fun to speculate.

or for the sake argument we have such a great imagination we can imagine all possibilities and they all suck
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    edited February 2019 Posts: 467
    Ottofuse8 wrote: »
    Far better. Actually, if done correctly, this might actually work. I may have freaked a bit after first learning of this. The stuff about bond/ kid/ family would be an unmitigated nightmare though.
    It even offers them an opportunity to "fix" both Swann and Blofeld at the same time, if a younger Blofeld is involved in this operation. Because I don't think that Léa Seydoux will have a large part in this film (how boring would it be to have her dating him for five years and having a "normal" relationship?). Blofeld would need to be shown as a ruthless, brilliant mastermind, rather than the creator of "Operation Kid Brother", and he would appear as a real threat.