No Time To Die: Production Diary

1215121522154215621572570

Comments

  • Posts: 5,029
    =bg= wrote: »
    IMO a big part of the problem is EONs total radio silence. They don't EVER say ANYthing about ANYthing. So frenzied fans such as you find here are left to endless speculation. They could so much use Twitter and FB and IG to their benefit, yet all you get is a one sentence, barebones release, 'we are thrilled about April 8 2020.' They shoot themselves in the foot and only have themselves to blame. OK, delays happen. Tell. Us. Why. It's 2019, and the way the newfangled internet is, it's a 24/365 firehose of data. Yet EON thinks TMB (Total Media Blackout) is the right way to go. Well, maybe or maybe not. But it doesn't inspire confidence or enthusiasm with the fanbase.....does it?
    Well, I´d say those with expectaions have Always a big Chance of being disappointed.
    The Circus in this thread is so ridiculous, because, 2019 and Internet or not, if people´s lives depend on the Marketing of a film, then something´s seriously rotten.

  • ResurrectionResurrection You don't need to be an operative to see the obvious
    edited February 18 Posts: 1,018
    boldfinger wrote: »
    =bg= wrote: »
    IMO a big part of the problem is EONs total radio silence. They don't EVER say ANYthing about ANYthing. So frenzied fans such as you find here are left to endless speculation. They could so much use Twitter and FB and IG to their benefit, yet all you get is a one sentence, barebones release, 'we are thrilled about April 8 2020.' They shoot themselves in the foot and only have themselves to blame. OK, delays happen. Tell. Us. Why. It's 2019, and the way the newfangled internet is, it's a 24/365 firehose of data. Yet EON thinks TMB (Total Media Blackout) is the right way to go. Well, maybe or maybe not. But it doesn't inspire confidence or enthusiasm with the fanbase.....does it?
    Well, I´d say those with expectaions have Always a big Chance of being disappointed.
    The Circus in this thread is so ridiculous, because, 2019 and Internet or not, if people´s lives depend on the Marketing of a film, then something´s seriously rotten.

    +1
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded Dancing at midnight under the BeBop Moon
    Posts: 11,450
    I'm old school, so I'm rather fine with not having a constant stream of info, tidbits, gossip, etc. on social media re James Bond. Yet I'm a lifelong, die-hard Fleming and Bond film fan. I don't mind them putting out info only once in a while. I don't think blanketing all social media with constant Bond 25 items would be a great thing. And I think the young fans, all the current ones on social media gobbling everything up, can also live with less than being inundated with Bond 25 info. Maybe you all want a happy medium re what EON feeds us; I am unsure.

    I'll get my coat now - over my hot pants, halter top, feather boa, and love beads and just bop along ... ;)
  • BirdlesonBirdleson San Jose, CAModerator
    Posts: 26,501
    I don’t care about the “tidbits” either. But it would be nice to get a damned movie every now and then.
  • RC7RC7
    Posts: 9,902
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I don’t care about the “tidbits” either. But it would be nice to get a damned movie every now and then.

    Fair. It’s all about the movie for me, the rest is yesterday’s news.
  • =bg==bg= SFO
    Posts: 1,007
    I'm old school, so I'm rather fine with not having a constant stream of info, tidbits, gossip, etc. on social media re James Bond. Yet I'm a lifelong, die-hard Fleming and Bond film fan. I don't mind them putting out info only once in a while. I don't think blanketing all social media with constant Bond 25 items would be a great thing. And I think the young fans, all the current ones on social media gobbling everything up, can also live with less than being inundated with Bond 25 info. Maybe you all want a happy medium re what EON feeds us; I am unsure.

    I'll get my coat now - over my hot pants, halter top, feather boa, and love beads and just bop along ... ;)

    That's the point; EON feeds us nothing. So we're left to endless speculation. They could so much use the interwebs to their advantage to, er, promote the series. Yet they remain stuck in the 1960s or 1970s in terms of communication, when all we could learn was what was in the evening newspaper.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded Dancing at midnight under the BeBop Moon
    edited February 18 Posts: 11,450
    They have given us info when there is definite confirmed info. I don't mind there being months between info. Pace always picks up as filming nears. We should have more cast news coming. On social media there will always be endless speculation, sure.

    They could give us video blogs again once filming starts, etc. But nothing beforehand is okay with me, promotion/marketing wise.
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    Posts: 137
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    And neither Fukunaga nor Daniel Craig can walk out of the production on their own at this point. They would have to pay a ton of money to the producers because of the delays and costs they would cause.

    Are we sure about this?

    Of course, we are.

    Unless there's a tragedy or an extraordinary motive to leave, Craig and Fukunaga have something called a contract to honour.
    Also, remember that George Lazenby was basically blacklisted by all major studios after his agent pushed too hard the negotiation game with Cubby Broccoli for a long-term contract and because of his overall attitude. Remember that Peter Sellers was also blacklisted due to his behaviour during the production of the 1967 Casino Royale. Remember that James Bond girl Kim Basinger had to pay millions because she had backed out of Boxing Helena.
    Of course, actors and directors can get released from their obligations, as it happened with Danny Boyle. Boyle was basically fired, but he didn't dispute that creative differences caused the split. But they weren't that close to the start of production at this point. These days, they already have a crew to pay, they would have to destroy the sets that are starting to get built at Pinewood because the sound stages will be used by other projects, they would have to start from scratch with local authorities and suppliers over location shootings, rehearsals have begun, etc. The investment is already quite big, and the production wouldn't accept some major piece of the film to depart at this point causing more delays.

    MGM, Annapurna and Universal are paying for the fifth James Bond film starring Daniel Craig in the lead, which automatically creates box office expectations compared to some new and unproved actor in the part. It was originally set up for a November 2019 release. They can live with a six month delay, provided there's a mutual agreement on it, but they can't afford the production to accept some more significant changes.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Posts: 1,528
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    And neither Fukunaga nor Daniel Craig can walk out of the production on their own at this point. They would have to pay a ton of money to the producers because of the delays and costs they would cause.

    Are we sure about this?

    Of course, we are.
    @HildebrandRarity, you're my hero haha :D
  • Posts: 8,976
    @HildebrandRarity Everything you say does make sense, including the fact Boyle did leave further away from the start of production at the time, but I think that departure has really sparked a ton of uncertainty ever since. Let’s hope they stay on board and get the film done. I can’t imagine after everything Craig will want to come back again; he may very well already regret having signed up for this one given everything so far.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited February 18 Posts: 955
    FoxRox wrote: »
    he may very well already regret having signed up for this one given everything so far.

    That’s part of the thrill.

    Plus, his bank account disagree with your assumption. XD
  • edited February 18 Posts: 8,976
    matt_u wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »
    he may very well already regret having signed up for this one given everything so far.

    That’s part of the thrill.

    Plus, his bank account disagree with your assumption. XD

    I’m sure he’s getting paid a lot, but he was paid a lot to do SP too and we all know how he responded after the film was finished. Given all the trouble that’s already started before cameras have even begun to roll (who knows what will happen during the actual production), I’m sure Craig is less than thrilled.

    EDIT: Note I didn’t fully assume Craig regrets signing on. I’m sure he’s happy with the money he’s getting. However, it’s not a stretch to imagine he is not happy with the way things have gone with the film so far, and he was run pretty ragged by SP. I’m worried it might show in his performance that he mainly or only came back for the paycheck.
  • Posts: 11,193
    The total media blackout by Eon is all thanks to the hackers who ruined the build up and production of Spectre. So to be fair I am not surprised this has happened and believe that this will become the norm after the B/O takings for SP as apposed to SF.


    As most people may have read the leaked script......etc. Although I understand it and don't mind not knowing every single detail about the upcoming film? A little reassurance would be most welcome after so many set backs.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded Dancing at midnight under the BeBop Moon
    Posts: 11,450
    Daniel at the moment has a child and Rachel just nominated for an Oscar (and winning a Golden Globe) and has been working (obviously) on getting fitter. He's probably in a good frame of mind and raring to go. I bet he and Cary get along, he's already had his input with the new writer, and he knows from experience that obstacles during production can be overcome (hello, late casting for CR and more). He undoubtedly wanted a polished, finished script by now (everybody would), but he may not be stressing over all of this as much as some of us are.
  • Posts: 8,976
    Daniel at the moment has a child and Rachel just nominated for an Oscar (and winning a Golden Globe) and has been working (obviously) on getting fitter. He's probably in a good frame of mind and raring to go. I bet he and Cary get along, he's already had his input with the new writer, and he knows from experience that obstacles during production can be overcome (hello, late casting for CR and more). He undoubtedly wanted a polished, finished script by now (everybody would), but he may not be stressing over all of this as much as some of us are.

    I hope you are right.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 18 Posts: 1,528
    Do people just want Craig to leave? Because people won’t stop talking about it. I get it Bond 25 is having trouble, but to then assume the worst doesn’t help.

    None of you know how he’s feeling about this film and to just constantly say oh he’s well pissed off and act as if he’s sitting there with a glum face wishing he’d never done this is just really disheartening to hear from fans, and is the kind of unnecessary speculation we usually get from journalists. No wonder they don’t wanna give us anything because people will just twist it to sound as if all hell is breaking loose. Craig is a good guy with a lot of respect for his job, and is probably eager to get going, because if he didn’t, he would’ve left a long time ago.

    I will always try to respect peoples opinions but all this baseless speculation is really pissing me off.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Posts: 3,325
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Do people just want Craig to leave? Because people won’t stop talking about it. I get it Bond 25 is having trouble, but to then assume the worst doesn’t help.

    None of you know how he’s feeling about this film and to just constantly say oh he’s well pissed off and act as if he’s sitting there with a glum face wishing he’d never done this is just really disheartening to hear from fans, and is the kind of unnecessary speculation we usually get from journalists. No wonder they don’t wanna give us anything because people will just twist it to sound as if all hell is breaking loose. Craig is a good guy with a lot of respect for his job, and is probably eager to get going, because if he didn’t, he would’ve left a long time ago.

    I will always try to respect peoples opinions but all this baseless speculation is really pissing me off.

    +1
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Posts: 1,215
    I’d legitimately be devastated if he left. He’s my favorite Bond of all time.
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom
    Posts: 136
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    I’d legitimately be devastated if he left. He’s my favorite Bond of all time.

    He's mine too. I can't think of a single living actor that could successfully replace him. I have ideas, but I doubt they'd own the role the way he has. He's made it an impossible task to replace him. I think Babs knows that too. It's why he wields so much power.
  • Posts: 769
    Would be very disappointed if Craig left. A loud minority wants him to.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Posts: 1,528
    Ottofuse8 wrote: »
    Would be very disappointed if Craig left. A loud minority wants him to.
    A small and very frustrating minority haha
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Posts: 3,325
    Ottofuse8 wrote: »
    Would be very disappointed if Craig left. A loud minority wants him to.

    Some here if the truth be known would sacrifice Bond 25 as it is to get rid of him.

    I pretty sure some of the Craig haters on this forum heard that Bond 25 had been cancelled with DC and they would be resetting but you'd have to wait an extra year they'd be having a party. Especially if it was either Aidan Turner or Henry Cavill who were taking over.

    They'd soon live with waiting longer for this prospect.

    Not everyone who wants those 2 think this but some are quite blatant that they'd live with a 5th DC film being sacrificed to get it.
  • Posts: 8,976
    The way I’ve commented probably makes me look like I don’t like Craig and his Bond. I didn’t mean it that way. I’m just expressing my concern that he might not be into it the way we want him to be. Do I know that for sure? No - I have no clue exactly how Craig feels. I am just raising potential concerns. His comments about playing Bond have been mixed since SP as far as the enthusiasm goes, so I can’t be certain. Things might be better or worse behind the scenes than we know. I do like Craig and his Bond, but one thing I can say is that I definitely would like a new era to begin after this newest one. Craig is getting older, and with how inconsistent in gaps/quality his tenure has been, I think it’d be best to move on with Bond 26. Hopefully more consistent production. I did not mean to insult Craig’s character in any way if it came off that way - just pure speculation.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 18 Posts: 1,528
    FoxRox wrote: »
    The way I’ve commented probably makes me look like I don’t like Craig and his Bond. I didn’t mean it that way. I’m just expressing my concern that he might not be into it the way we want him to be. Do I know that for sure? No - I have no clue exactly how Craig feels. I am just raising potential concerns. His comments about playing Bond have been mixed since SP as far as the enthusiasm goes, so I can’t be certain. Things might be better or worse behind the scenes than we know. I do like Craig and his Bond, but one thing I can say is that I definitely would like a new era to begin after this newest one. Craig is getting older, and with how inconsistent in gaps/quality his tenure has been, I think it’d be best to move on with Bond 26. Hopefully more consistent production. I did not mean to insult Craig’s character in any way if it came off that way - just pure speculation.

    Hey @FoxRox, I hope you don't think I was directly targeting you with those comments. a few of them did spur me on I can't lie, but there are many other members here that are really pursuing the idea fo him (and Fukunaga) leaving so heavily that it's become quite frustrating.

    Anyway, I understand your concerns, and I think your wishes will be met regarding Bond 26. To be honest, I always thought it was a done deal that this would be his last James Bond adventure? I think it's one of the reasons I'm fighting for this film so much, because at the end of the day, I just want him to have the best James Bond film for his last adventure and trust everyone involved to do just that despite all this stuff regarding writers and delays.
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    Posts: 137
    Let's also hope that we won't get the curse of the American Bond girl. Because, apart from Lazenby's last (and first) entry:

    DAF: Jill St. John (NSNA: Kim Basinger)
    AVTAK: Tanya Roberts
    LTK: Carey Lowell
    DAD: Halle Berry
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld Minnesota USA
    edited February 18 Posts: 2,227
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    You always go back to hearing how Cubby & Harry we’re very tough ruthless producers. The same can be said for Babs & Michael.

    Maybe Sean was right?

    Sean was jealous of money not they were ruthless
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Posts: 955
    People seem to forget that Craig has been always part of the creative process. He’s been part of all the creative choices that mattered. For SP he spent almost two years preparing/producing the movie plus the filming, which was really tough. He even had a bad injury. So all his comments once the movie was finished were consistently blow out of proportion. He always said two things: filming SP was a big fun but it was so exhausting he didn’t want to think about the next one for a while. Which is totally fine. Then he said playing Bond is the best job possible as an actor. A truly unique experience that one day he would miss terribly. So I don’t understand all the people’s assumption about him being tired or sick of the role, etc etc. Really.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Posts: 1,710
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Do people just want Craig to leave? Because people won’t stop talking about it. I get it Bond 25 is having trouble, but to then assume the worst doesn’t help.

    None of you know how he’s feeling about this film and to just constantly say oh he’s well pissed off and act as if he’s sitting there with a glum face wishing he’d never done this is just really disheartening to hear from fans, and is the kind of unnecessary speculation we usually get from journalists. No wonder they don’t wanna give us anything because people will just twist it to sound as if all hell is breaking loose. Craig is a good guy with a lot of respect for his job, and is probably eager to get going, because if he didn’t, he would’ve left a long time ago.

    I will always try to respect peoples opinions but all this baseless speculation is really pissing me off.

    I wanted and still want Craig to leave, although it's very unlikely at this point. He overstayed his time as Bond. Craig has been an amazing Bond, and no doubt he can deliver but there's only so much of a delicious food I can eat until I get tired of it.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Posts: 955
    If 25 turns out great, for me he will become the best Bond. As for now I can’t choose between him and Sean (even if I generally like Craig’s movies better). Having said that, after 25 I will be all in for a new actor steeping in the role. A lot of time passed since 2005. Time to move on, I suppose.
  • Posts: 188
    All this speculation depends on who wasn't happy with the script. It feasibly could have been Craig or Fukunaga or Babs and MGW. Likewise Craig hasn't been shy from throwing his weight around in terms of bringing creative talent on board. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that he knows Burns from working with Soderbergh.
Sign In or Register to comment.