No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I believe the distributor negotiations are being impacted by 'vision' and 'direction'. Money of course is a part of that.

Interesting times.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    dalton wrote: »
    I'm not going to admit that something is there when it just isn't. "Advanced talks" mean nothing, since EON can't move on any Bond candidate until MGM settles its distributor negotiations. There can't be much, if any, movement on Bond 25 until the distributor issue is dealt with, and from all accounts that sounds like later this year.

The distributor, who will be putting up money, will insist on a say, even if it's not a definitive say, in who takes over the role and the direction of the franchise moving forward, just as Sony did when they took over.

EON is obviously fielding actors so they can be prepared for such negotiations. The distributor can will have a say on the shortlist. I think we can stop being so hesitatant and notice that their is nothing (currently) blocking a late 2018 release window. EON are being very thorough, and news is flying at us from all sides.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    bondjames wrote: »
    And the possibility of another off-beat choice of Bond actor, which is intriguing, if he wasn't just openly speculating based on the history with the Craig casting, but rather, based on something he may be aware of behind the scenes regarding prospects.

It probably means that Sam Mendes is the new Bond.
    I'm not going to admit that something is there when it just isn't. "Advanced talks" mean nothing, since EON can't move on any Bond candidate until MGM settles its distributor negotiations. There can't be much, if any, movement on Bond 25 until the distributor issue is dealt with, and from all accounts that sounds like later this year.

The distributor, who will be putting up money, will insist on a say, even if it's not a definitive say, in who takes over the role and the direction of the franchise moving forward, just as Sony did when they took over.

EON is obviously fielding actors so they can be prepared for such negotiations. The distributor can will have a say on the shortlist. I think we can stop being so hesitatant and notice that their is nothing (currently) blocking a late 2018 release window. EON are being very thorough, and news is flying at us from all sides.

They've been speaking to actors, if you believe the reports, for a while now, so nothing has changed. The only thing that has changed has been the reaction to the news.

If you look back at my comments in this thread and the other, you'll find that I've always stated 2018 was a real possibility. Other opinions have ranged from the sky is falling because Barbara has spoken to Hiddleston after supposedly having had serious talks with Turner, to all of a sudden 2018 is set in stone because someone placed the word "advanced" next to the word "talks".

It's not being "hesitant", it's being realistic. These things take time, and nothing that has happened in the past week, since the sky was supposedly falling because Hiddleston moved into an imaginary pole position at the front of the rumored shortlist, that would radically change anything that we already know. Until MGM announces a distributor, all of the talk in the media is just that. It's just designed to sell copies and get people clicking on their links. It's this way every time there's an absence of news on the Bond front.

And the possibility of another off-beat choice of Bond actor, which is intriguing, if he wasn't just openly speculating based on the history with the Craig casting, but rather, based on something he may be aware of behind the scenes regarding prospects.

It probably means that Sam Mendes is the new Bond.
    Everybody wants to be Bond. Even now after all these years. I suppose that's something.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2016 Posts: 15,690
    I'm going to send anonymous tips to the tabloids, claiming that Timothy Dalton is in talks to come back as Bond almost 30 years after LTK. That way @Mendes4Lyfe can be all excited that Dalton is coming back, once they print the articles.
    I'm going to send anonymous tips to the tabloids, claiming that Timothy Dalton is in talks to come back as Bond almost 30 years after LTK. That way @Mendes4Lyfe can be all excited that Dalton is coming back, once they print the articles.

Excellent idea!

They've been speaking to actors, if you believe the reports, for a while now, so nothing has changed. The only thing that has changed has been the reaction to the news.

If you look back at my comments in this thread and the other, you'll find that I've always stated 2018 was a real possibility. Other opinions have ranged from the sky is falling because Barbara has spoken to Hiddleston after supposedly having had serious talks with Turner, to all of a sudden 2018 is set in stone because someone placed the word "advanced" next to the word "talks".

It's not being "hesitant", it's being realistic. These things take time, and nothing that has happened in the past week, since the sky was supposedly falling because Hiddleston moved into an imaginary pole position at the front of the rumored shortlist, that would radically change anything that we already know. Until MGM announces a distributor, all of the talk in the media is just that. It's just designed to sell copies and get people clicking on their links. It's this way every time there's an absence of news on the Bond front.

I just don't understand. It's like you're taking into account delays which might prevent 2018 being possible. So far their nothing to say that is the case. EON are already moving forward on casting 007, so their is no reason why that should hold things up during distributor negotiations. As long as they have a script ready to go by late 2017, everything is still on track.

I just don't understand. It's like you're taking into account delays which might prevent 2018 being possible. So far their nothing to say that is the case. EON are already moving forward on casting 007, so their is no reason why that should hold things up during distributor negotiations. As long as they have a script ready to go by late 2017, everything is still on track.

My position has been consistent throughout: 2018 is a real possibility. You were the one, up until yesterday or today, who was saying that it was impossible for them to get it out in 2018, but are now saying it is because the words "advanced" was placed in an article to discuss the talks with one of the "candidates".

EON is not holding things up with the distributor negotiations. They have, quite literally, nothing to do with it. That is MGM's negotiation. Until MGM makes up their mind who they are going with, there's not much that EON can do. They can talk to as many actors as they want, but they're not going to recast Bond until MGM has a distributor because that company is going to want a say in it. They're also going to want a say in the creative direction of the franchise, meaning that a director and writer won't be hired until that is settled as well.

All of that, as I've stated several times before, can be hashed out by the end of 2016 or early 2017 and put things on track for 2018. But, none of that is happening right now, and it's certainly not "full steam ahead" for Bond 25 in 2018 at the present moment.
    I blame Harry for selling his stake to UA!
    Getafix wrote: »
    I agree. Shame that. Although I do miss the UA logo at the start of Bond films with their music playing. Nicer than the Sony Columbia lady imho.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Yes, Barbara in an interview said that act, really hurt Cubby. :(
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    @Shardlake I agree with a lot of what you said except that the public views are relevant when they don't sell any tickets.

I don't think the public should be consulted on who's the next Bond, they could check places like MI6 to see what the tempearature is on this subject but in the end it comes down to EON who makes this decison.

Lets face it the general public didn't have a clue who Daniel Craig was until his name popped up in the tabloids and that is the way it should be.

I remember being a member of the older MI6 before CR came out and it was clear that while some were aware of DC and his career some were just judging him on popping up in Tomb Raider with not a clue about his dramatic background.

You only need to go on other forums to see people discussing DC as a one note actor I had someone saying that Hiddleston was a much better actor than Craig, clearly no idea of OFITN, The Mother, Love & The Devil & Enduring Love.

I said it before Craig becoming Bond while is great and I wouldn't have it any other way but it robbed him of a far more interesting career. I'm looking forward to seeing him stretch himself more in the acting department when he gives up the role.

The idea of seeing DC in a TV series is something I'm tremendously looking forward to.

I'm not go bying to admit that something is there when it just isn't. "Advanced talks" mean nothing, since EON can't move on any Bond candidate until MGM settles its distributor negotiations. There can't be much, if any, movement on Bond 25 until the distributor issue is dealt with, and from all accounts that sounds like later this year.

My position has been consistent throughout: 2018 is a real possibility. You were the one, up until yesterday or today, who was saying that it was impossible for them to get it out in 2018, but are now saying it is because the words "advanced" was placed in an article to discuss the talks with one of the "candidates".

EON is not holding things up with the distributor negotiations. They have, quite literally, nothing to do with it. That is MGM's negotiation. Until MGM makes up their mind who they are going with, there's not much that EON can do. They can talk to as many actors as they want, but they're not going to recast Bond until MGM has a distributor because that company is going to want a say in it. They're also going to want a say in the creative direction of the franchise, meaning that a director and writer won't be hired until that is settled as well.

All of that, as I've stated several times before, can be hashed out by the end of 2016 or early 2017 and put things on track for 2018. But, none of that is happening right now, and it's certainly not "full steam ahead" for Bond 25 in 2018 at the present moment.

It definitely is full steam ahead. At least barring some unforseen mishap. I'm puzzled why you are know putting up these roadblocks in the way of production that aren't actually there. Remember that all the negotiations and the hunt for a director, writer and Bond actor 007 will take place at the same time. It will all happen simultaneously like a well oiled machine. Things are already start to fall into place. By the time negotiations begin, EON can simply give Warner Bros a shortlist of actors to choose from. It'll take an afternoon, not months. That's why EON is clever in getting all that work done now, while nothing is happening. I can't possibly imagine what you think would hold things up for a whole other year.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Getafix wrote: »
    I agree. Shame that. Although I do miss the UA logo at the start of Bond films with their music playing. Nicer than the Sony Columbia lady imho.
    Now it'll be MGM and Warner (most likely).
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Dear Paul Mason, thanks for your clear insights. It shows you are a fan and reader of this forum. You know your Fleming and you just contributed an article a million times more interesting than your colleagues' musings on Idris, Tom or the Khaleesi.
    I'm not go bying to admit that something is there when it just isn't. "Advanced talks" mean nothing, since EON can't move on any Bond candidate until MGM settles its distributor negotiations. There can't be much, if any, movement on Bond 25 until the distributor issue is dealt with, and from all accounts that sounds like later this year.

It definitely is full steam ahead. At least barring some unforseen mishap. I'm puzzled why you are know putting up these roadblocks in the way of production that aren't actually there. Remember that all the negotiations and the hunt for a director, writer and Bond actor 007 will take place at the same time. It will all happen simultaneously like a well oiled machine. Things are already start to fall into place. By the time negotiations begin, EON can simply give Warner Bros a shortlist of actors to choose from. It'll take an afternoon, not months. That's why EON is clever in getting all that work done now, while nothing is happening. I can't possibly imagine what you think would hold things up for a whole other year.

I honestly can't wrap my head around your multiple positions on this. This was your post just 4 days ago:
    Mendes4Lyfe said:
    I didn't say there was any reason for news. What I'm saying is that there is little we can rely on happening at the moment. Actually think about it. We don't know who will produce B25 (MGW may not be well enough), we don't know who will star, we don't know who will write, director etc. We don't even know who will distribute the f#cking thing.

When was the last time that the franchise was like this, when we couldn't at least assume certain things, like Craig would return and Sony would produce, P&W would write etc.? This isn't just the normal dip that we see between Bonds. I'm quite amazed by the fact that no one seems to have figured this out yet. From the looks of things, people still seem to be assuming that a new Bond film will just materialise out of thin air in 2 and a half years. That just plain isn't going to happen.

Now, somehow, we're full steam ahead for Bond 25 because someone used the word "advanced" to describe talks in an article.
    Yes, Barbara in an interview said that act, really hurt Cubby. :(

It's also the root cause of many of the delays between films ever since.

edited May 2016 Posts: 8,073

I honestly can't wrap my head around your multiple positions on this. This was your post just 4 days ago:
    Mendes4Lyfe said:
    I didn't say there was any reason for news. What I'm saying is that there is little we can rely on happening at the moment. Actually think about it. We don't know who will produce B25 (MGW may not be well enough), we don't know who will star, we don't know who will write, director etc. We don't even know who will distribute the f#cking thing.

When was the last time that the franchise was like this, when we couldn't at least assume certain things, like Craig would return and Sony would produce, P&W would write etc.? This isn't just the normal dip that we see between Bonds. I'm quite amazed by the fact that no one seems to have figured this out yet. From the looks of things, people still seem to be assuming that a new Bond film will just materialise out of thin air in 2 and a half years. That just plain isn't going to happen.

Now, somehow, we're full steam ahead for Bond 25 because someone used the word "advanced" to describe talks in an article.

Come on, there have been a flood of articles since then. Exposure to new information informs our opinions, that's basic stuff.
    A flood of tabloid articles that mean little to nothing. Bond 25 is in exactly the same place it was 4 days ago. All of those things you complained about not knowing about Bond 25 four days ago are still unknown (no writer, unsure of MGW's availability, director, star, and distributor), and none of those issues have been addressed. All we've gotten are tabloid articles stating that so-and-so is in talks with EON, that Mendes has quit (we already knew that), and that Barbara Broccolis is the one that actually runs EON (we already knew that as well).
    A flood of tabloid articles that mean little to nothing. Bond 25 is in exactly the same place it was 4 days ago. All of those things you complained about not knowing about Bond 25 four days ago are still unknown (no writer, unsure of MGW's availability, director, star, and distributor), and none of those issues have been addressed. All we've gotten are tabloid articles stating that so-and-so is in talks with EON, that Mendes has quit (we already knew that), and that Barbara Broccolis is the one that actually runs EON (we already knew that as well).

Of course the film is in the same stage it was 4 days ago. However, it is our knowledge of that stage that has changed drastically and still is. This Mendes story is just the latest. We also had no idea that Hiddleston had been at this level of talks, to where EON is virtually taking his measurements. These things do change very quickly. As we reach the closing half of 2016, we will see the pace pick up even more. Hopefully you won't still be denying it when negotiations are taking place.
    Well like I said I could start a rumor with the sun tomorrow that Jonthan Nolan is in advance talks to write bond 25 and everyone will jump through hopes to report it inspite of it not being true... However Hiddleston could very well be in advance talks because if I was Eon and MGM I would make sure I had a bond 25 story the day of/after the distrubter was announced
    Exactly. People act like something appearing in a headline disqualifys it from being the case.
  • DisneyBond007DisneyBond007 Welwyn Garden City
    Most likely to be MGM and Walt Disney Pictures, rather than Warner Bros.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    As far as I'm concerned Hiddleston has already delivered his audition with the Night Manager & High-Rise. They don't need to test him with the famous FRWL Tatiana scene. He can do the job if called upon. They just need to ensure he's available when they finally get this deal sewn up, whenever that may be, so advance talks about scheduling are smart at this early stage.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 1,631
    EDIT: Nevermind. Not taking any more of the bait.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Most likely to be MGM and Walt Disney Pictures, rather than Warner Bros.
    Really? Which universe did you pick that information from?
    Our "knowledge" hasn't changed one bit, certainly not based on tabloid reports. I do, however, greatly appreciate the thinly veiled jabs questioning my intelligence. Very becoming.

I'm not sure what you mean by that one. You said you were never in any doubt about 2018 release, but now you are putting up hypothetical roadblocks that could hinder production. All the while sifting through pages of comments in order to paint me as the one who is inconsistent. Yes I'm very much enjoying that characterization, thank you.
    Gents please. We're going in circles.
    Come on, if you've actually read my posts, you'd know my position has been consistent. Not being willing to accept every tabloid report as the truth is in no way a sign of throwing up "roadblocks".