No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

barryt007 wrote: »
    CraterGuns wrote: »
    001 wrote: »
    Bond needs a Buxom Babe like this.

artsfon.com-43316.jpg
    Who is that fetching young lady exactly?
    Chili Pepper.

I thought that was a vegetable ?
    Well, so is Anya Amasova. And even more so, Kara Milovy.

Oh well said....bravo indeed...a round of applause !!!

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

artsfon.com-43316.jpg
    Chili Pepper.

Oh well said....bravo indeed...a round of applause !!!
    Thank you! Thank you!
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

artsfon.com-43316.jpg
    Chili Pepper.

How can you compare Kara (who conveys vulnerability, confusion, hope, angst and a fighting spirit in the right order) with Anya, who conveys nothing more than a bobbly head?
    Russia's best agent? Kara would systematically kick her sorry bee-hind any day of the week. ;)
    Wow ... the pessimism.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Let's just say I know who I'd rather share bodily warmth with, and it's not the cellist. I'm generally not keen on vegetables, but I'll make an exception for Anya.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Let's just say I know who I'd rather share bodily warmth with, and it's not the cellist. I'm generally not keen on vegetables, but I'll make an exception for Anya.

Uhm ...okay ..uh-uh
    Dennison wrote: »

Uhm ...okay ..uh-uh
    Not an Anya fan I take it?

Oh that's different. Wouldn't mind sharing some bodily warmth with Russia's finest I must admit. As long as I don't get any splinters.

She does look good in that nighty, I must admit.
    Give me Miss Sleepwalker any day. ;)
    Dennison wrote: »

Uhm ...okay ..uh-uh
    Not an Anya fan I take it?

Just a Beavis and Butthead one.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    Obviously, you never saw Maryam D'Abo's Playboy photo spread...

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    A question that's been on my mind is why they pushed this back to 2019. I'm pretty sure they could have done a one film distribution deal earlier if they really wanted to (complex though they might be). They could have also locked down a script earlier.

Arguably they lost most of 2016 and really started to get going sometime this year.

When I heard 2019, my thought was: a summer release? That would have at least made some sense. But alas, no...
  • CraterGuns wrote: »

artsfon.com-43316.jpg
    Chili Pepper.

Well, if so, she picked an utterly stupid stage name. Just try doing a Bing image search, and see what comes up... (It ain't her.)
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

I'm with you there son. Epic.

I'm sure it's one of the reasons I now wear glasses.

artsfon.com-43316.jpg
    Chili Pepper.

Well, if so, she picked an utterly stupid stage name. Just try doing a Bing image search, and see what comes up... (It ain't her.)
    You do realize I was being sarcastic, don't you?
  • I do now!
    If Waltz confirmed his return it give away Blofeld and Spectre are part of a Bond 25 story. He also has prior for saying his character is not Blofeld. I would take what he said with a pinch of salt.
    Back then it was obvious he was lying. Now it's obvious he is telling the truth.

UHM so what happens if he is lying again?
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited October 2017 Posts: 1,756
    NicNac wrote: »
    Or more likely a new director just doesn't want to take on any of Mendes's baggage, which is what I assumed some time ago. Where I got it wrong was whether a new director would want Craig along either (given the baggage is all his).

This is certainly an issue.

Any director worth his salt would say no to cleaning up the steaming turd Mendes has left. But the baggage is not solely Mendes it's also Craig and the Craig era. They put continuity and connected narrative above all else with the Craig era and to just ignore all that for one tacked on film seems a massive cop out and a pretty pointless exercise to be honest.

By all logic and reason the obvious thing to do would be to recast and start with a clean slate but of course that's not happening as due to trying to nail a better distribution deal they have signed Craig for one more.

Babs is not fussed and would rather do her arty farty Oscar bait projects. MGW is spent and deserves his retirement. Dan is only really in it for the money at this stage (and possibly trying to elevate his legacy to join the big 2 of Sean and Rog). P&W sound like they are out of ideas. No director of substance would want to touch it. Even amongst the fans here there doesn't seem much excitement. We're just treading water until 2022 and a new Bond.

I can't help feeling B25 is shaping up to be a lame duck film that nobody really wants.

Woah! That is....possibly true...but I would rather cling to the belief that as we are 2 years away from the next film, and over one year away from meeting the new cast, we are decidedly in a sort of limbo where nothing much is likely to happen for months.

But that sense of meh does linger, and I have always been a Bond optimist.

My concern is for the franchise after Craig goes. Are there major plans to shake it up and create a Bond universe? If there are I may simply retire with my 25 film box set and sit in a corner somewhere telling myself it was all so much better in the old days.
    I can appreciate the concern about the post-Craig era, but I'm actually far more optimistic about B26 onwards, because I believe a shakeup is indeed coming. I'm also willing to accommodate a shared universe (whatever form that may take) if it means getting a 'move on', ditching this continuity driven dead end and generating more frequent future releases.

Regarding retiring with the 25 film box set and pontificating about the old days being better like an old fogey, I'm afraid I'm nearly already there.

I agree with the Wiz that based on what we know at the moment, B25 does seem like a lame duck 'stub' effort, apparently motivated more by business than creative considerations. I am open to being pleasantly surprised however. I still retain a glimmer of distant hope.

I feel all this stems from Craig being given way too much power and however much people want to say 'Cubby made mistakes too so get off Babs' case' that comes from mismanagement at the top.

Yes he's a very good Bond. Yes it's nice he wants to have an input. Yes I wanted to see him continue as long as he is credible.

But

The Blofeld and SPECTRE arc is too big to set up from scratch and then resolve in one film. They realised that and planned it as two but then they were scared Craig wouldn't come back for a 5th so catastrophically decided to condense it all into one film. That's one of SP's other flaws (among the many) - trying to fit too much in.

They needed to sit down with Dan and have an awkward conversation along the lines of:

EON: We want to do SPECTRE and Blofeld but it will take 2 films at least, 3 would be better. Can you commit to that?
    Dan: No I'd rather slash my wrists.
    EON: Fair enough. We'll save it for the new Bond when you're done. Ok let's talk about B24 then a nice standalone film, a big epic, your TB or MR as it were.

Instead it seems we got something more along the lines of:

EON: We want to do SPECTRE and Blofeld but it will take 2 films at least, 3 would be better. Can you commit to that?
    Dan: No I'd rather slash my wrists.
    EON: Err Ok. Would you be alright if we cram it all into one? Pleeease Dan.
    Dan: Yeah I suppose so.
    EON: Thank you so much. We're pathetically grateful. Obviously it will be a terribly unsatisfactory film now and Christ knows how we'll follow it up but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

They couldn't even get him to sign up for B25 (even give him a 4 year 'rest' if you must) so we have this bizarre scenario where he drives off into the sunrise so he's done or Blofeld is still alive so he's not done depending on Dan's whim about doing another one.

This will he/won't he cockteasing didn't matter in Rog's days because they were all standalone entries but if you want to make a grandiose story arc about SPECTRE and Blofeld then surely you need to know if your star is returning don't you?

Just show some leadership and get him to make his mind up and either we get SP in 2015 and then at the end of SP 'James Bond will return in Blofeld 2017 and Shatterhand 2019' (not blown away by those titles - just using them to illustrate the point).

And if he doesn't want to sign up he can just do B24. If he wants to go on and they decide it makes business sense to keep him on he can do B25 as a standalone (as appears to be happening anyway) too and then at the end of whichever turns out to be his last film we get 'James Bond will return in SP' and the new guy gets to surf on that wave of expectation and goodwill.

Being bezzie mates with your employees is rarely a good idea in business.

Spot on.

I'm honestly very surprised at how quickly Eon's and Craig's relationship has become such a — pardon my language — shit-show. The icing on the cake was bringing Craig back on.

The only thing keeping my enthusiasm intact for the next Bond film right now is Villeneuve (if it's him). He's the only director I'd trust to handle B25. Wouldn't be surprised if the first thing he did as unofficial director was give Waltz the boot.
    Or more likely a new director just doesn't want to take on any of Mendes's baggage, which is what I assumed some time ago. Where I got it wrong was whether a new director would want Craig along either (given the baggage is all his).

Any director worth his salt would say no to cleaning up the steaming turd Mendes has left. But the baggage is not solely Mendes it's also Craig and the Craig era. They put continuity and connected narrative above all else with the Craig era and to just ignore all that for one tacked on film seems a massive cop out and a pretty pointless exercise to be honest.

By all logic and reason the obvious thing to do would be to recast and start with a clean slate but of course that's not happening as due to trying to nail a better distribution deal they have signed Craig for one more.

Babs is not fussed and would rather do her arty farty Oscar bait projects. MGW is spent and deserves his retirement. Dan is only really in it for the money at this stage (and possibly trying to elevate his legacy to join the big 2 of Sean and Rog). P&W sound like they are out of ideas. No director of substance would want to touch it. Even amongst the fans here there doesn't seem much excitement. We're just treading water until 2022 and a new Bond.

I can't help feeling B25 is shaping up to be a lame duck film that nobody really wants.

I may not even hold my breath for 2022 with a new Bond if B25 turns out as indifferent as it's currently looking to be.

On the optimistic side: if a miracle is performed and B25 somehow rights the wrongs left by Mendes and the Craig era, thus giving us and amazing Bond film, perhaps Eon will get things into gear distribution wise for future films ensuring a bright future for 007 and the next incumbent lead. I'd love to see Eon motivated to bring Bond back to the big screen on a regular basis again. Back in '95 with Pierce and GE it really did feel like Bond was back and embraced in all his glory. I'd love to get that feeling again.

As it stands, a one picture deal to wrap up the Craig story arc sounds less than exciting to me. Another film where it's probable the gunbarrel will be effed up again in some way, a personal element will be forced, and a climax that steers away from classic Bond tradition. Worse of all- post B25 a feeling of exhaustion from the crew leading to another 4 year, maybe longer gap. No wonder we've been talking about a potential sale.

Metaphorically, this feels like a drawn out breakup from from a long lasting romantic relationship. You start to see the person less and less often. Occasionally when you do the moment is great, thus giving you the false hope there will be a future, or at least as wonderful as it had once been, then another long space between rendezvous, indifference, and the person eventually fades from your life.

ToTheRight wrote: »

I may not even hold my breath for 2022 with a new Bond if B25 turns out as indifferent as it's currently looking to be.

On the optimistic side: if a miracle is performed and B25 somehow rights the wrongs left by Mendes and the Craig era, thus giving us and amazing Bond film, perhaps Eon will get things into gear distribution wise for future films ensuring a bright future for 007 and the next incumbent lead. I'd love to see Eon motivated to bring Bond back to the big screen on a regular basis again. Back in '95 with Pierce and GE it really did feel like Bond was back and embraced in all his glory. I'd love to get that feeling again.

As it stands, a one picture deal to wrap up the Craig story arc sounds less than exciting to me. Another film where it's probable the gunbarrel will be effed up again in some way, a personal element will be forced, and a climax that steers away from classic Bond tradition. Worse of all- post B25 a feeling of exhaustion from the crew leading to another 4 year, maybe longer gap. No wonder we've been talking about a potential sale.

Metaphorically, this feels like a drawn out breakup from from a long lasting romantic relationship. You start to see the person less and less often. Occasionally when you do the moment is great, thus giving you the false hope there will be a future, or at least as wonderful as it had once been, then another long space between rendezvous, indifference, and the person eventually fades from your life.

Well, you know, that's all personal opinion. Skyfall's success was incredible and the film is still one of the most popular Bond films, so your comment only really reflects your opinion right? It can't right a wrong if the film wasn't wrong in the first place.
    Spectre may be harder to defend of course.

And to suggest B25 is looking to be 'indifferent' is ridiculous, with all due respect. We have nothing to suggest that it will be good, bad or indifferent.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

Well, you know, that's all personal opinion. Skyfall's success was incredible and the film is still one of the most popular Bond films, so your comment only really reflects your opinion right? It can't right a wrong if the film wasn't wrong in the first place.

And to suggest B25 is looking to be 'indifferent' is ridiculous, with all due respect. We have nothing to suggest that it will be good, bad or indifferent.

SF has a touch of class to it, I'll give you that, but any film can be overhyped and overexposed. I don't think SF has the same staying power of CR or GE. SP has no staying power whatsoever. B25 is in serious trouble of becoming a flop. The afterglow of CR and SF won't help B25 like it helped SP. 4 years is a very long time.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible

And yet if they drop the Spectre story, B25 can offer a refreshing narrative near-clean slate, to be anchored by a popular and well-established Bond. It can be a project in which the key participants, freed from the straitjacket of story and tone they placed themselves in, can gradually begin to find inspiration for something different. Just like DAF anticipated the Moore era, B25 perhaps will anticipate the B#7 era. Someone said some pages back that he thought Craig wanted to switch things up with Spectre but Mendes wanted to do his dramatic thing again. I believe that's possible, if not certain. Surely someone had to be the creative influence that provided that goofier, lighter humor that Spectre had, and that already began to reflect a change.

On the other hand, maybe they see nothing of interest in this project, and it's going to be a lame duck film. But there's a fairly reasonable chance it might not be, that's all I'm saying. Now that there's a strong chance Waltz might not return, I'm excited, because while I liked him, I want to see a shakeup.

How about you hand over Anya and I give you... Max Kalba?

"I wouldn't do those pictures now... I've learned a lot since then"

I'm with you there son. Epic.

I'm sure it's one of the reasons I now wear glasses.

Disgusting.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 23,883
    mattjoes wrote: »

And yet if they drop the Spectre story, B25 can offer a refreshing narrative near-clean slate, to be anchored by a popular and well-established Bond. It can be a project in which the key participants, freed from the straitjacket of story and tone they placed themselves in, can gradually begin to find inspiration for something different. Just like DAF anticipated the Moore era, B25 perhaps will anticipate the B#7 era. Someone said some pages back that he thought Craig wanted to switch things up with Spectre but Mendes wanted to do his dramatic thing again. I believe that's possible, if not certain. Surely someone had to be the creative influence that provided that goofier, lighter humor that Spectre had, and that already began to reflect a change.

On the other hand, maybe they see nothing of interest in this project, and it's going to be a lame duck film. But there's a fairly reasonable chance it might not be, that's all I'm saying. Now that there's a strong chance Waltz might not return, I'm excited, because while I liked him, I want to see a shakeup.
    The potential problem, as I see it, is that for some of us Craig's standalone credibility is shot at this point. It's the same reason why some of us couldn't buy his attempted nonchalance during certain scenes in SP, most notably those which involved his 'brother' and his first love Vesper (whose loss he brooded over in QoS).

Ultimately I think one is either invested in his long connected narrative (and all the uncomfortable pathos that this has entailed over the years), or one is not. It's difficult for some of us (myself included) to accept him goofing around and being unconcerned when we've been led to believe over the past 10+ years that his entire arc is one big coupled concoction of betrayal, jealousy and revenge. They had a perfect opportunity to walk away from that after SF's mammoth success (and even suggested it in that film's final scene), but instead chose to double down on continuity with SP (even after QoS should have taught them that such a strategy was perhaps unwise). Moreover, they went further and hinted quite strongly at a YOLT style story to follow after SP, what with White being shoehorned in after the fact as some sort of Draco figure and 'lover' Maddy being a stand in for Tracy. There's a disconnect there, and Craig is a major part of it. Even though he may not realize it, I think he's become part of the problem at this point. It stinks of a 'have my cake and eat it too' mentality.

So yes, anything is possible and we all hope for the best, but if they really wanted to shake it up and be fully freed of the narrative straightjacket which they have put themselves in, they probably should recast, even if business pressures preclude it. Either that or just continue on and finish his story off. Let him go after Blofeld and kill him.
    mattjoes wrote: »

How about you hand over Anya and I give you... Max Kalba?
    Somehow that seems like an unfair trade to me. I'll certainly accept Felicca instead (I seem to have missed dessert too).

Skyfall was indeed a huge success, and I know some who place it as their number one. Skyfall also, IMO, did seem to give a feeling at the time the future of the franchise was safe and there was much to still be explored in the Craig era.

SP, however left me feeling the next film will not only have another long 4 year gap (so far proven correct) but may mark the final Eon James Bond film (hopefully incorrect). I agree SP is harder to defend. I do feel something went wrong there that should be righted in the next film. There's a lot I like about SP, but I hated that bad feeling, that hunch that the series at this point actually could be winding down.

That said, with the many discussions on these boards of B25 possibly being a follow up to SP (four years later), with Madeleine potentially returning, Bellucci, Newman, P&W (so far apparently confirmed), and it only being a one film distribution, I do feel B25 is looking indifferent.
    Granted, it's all speculation, not much confirmed. When a distribution deal is announced, director, and casting, I hope to feel more optimistic.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Another wasted opportunity is how I would classify this latest string of events. The Connery era started promising with some continuity between DN and FRWL. Then they introduced GF as a standalone. They then returned to Spectre with TB and YOLT. By then Connery was uninterested and we suddenly got a new Bond and a new Blofeld who apparently didn't recognize each other even though their characters met in the previous film. Then DAF with little continuity and then Mclory inserted himself and that ended Spectre.

Fast forward to present day! They finally secure the rights to Spectre again. Instead of planning a story arc and using some of Fleming's work they shoe horn it into their universe. Quantum is forgotten as an organization and the whole SP becomes a story of Bond's past.

Now what I see possibly unfolding is a GF type of movie where we have Craig riding off into the sunset in a movie that isn't tied to the others. It has a chance to be a good film as they don't have to worry about linking it up with the others. Then we get a new Bond and a new Blofeld? Will they allow that the events of SP took place? Or like Quantum will they ignore and start again?

Should be interesting to see it all unfold.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 1,031
    thedove wrote: »
    Another wasted opportunity is how I would classify this latest string of events. The Connery era started promising with some continuity between DN and FRWL. Then they introduced GF as a standalone. They then returned to Spectre with TB and YOLT. By then Connery was uninterested and we suddenly got a new Bond and a new Blofeld who apparently didn't recognize each other even though their characters met in the previous film. Then DAF with little continuity and then Mclory inserted himself and that ended Spectre.

Fast forward to present day! They finally secure the rights to Spectre again. Instead of planning a story arc and using some of Fleming's work they shoe horn it into their universe. Quantum is forgotten as an organization and the whole SP becomes a story of Bond's past.

Now what I see possibly unfolding is a GF type of movie where we have Craig riding off into the sunset in a movie that isn't tied to the others. It has a chance to be a good film as they don't have to worry about linking it up with the others. Then we get a new Bond and a new Blofeld? Will they allow that the events of SP took place? Or like Quantum will they ignore and start again?

Should be interesting to see it all unfold.

If they're adapting YOLT then Shatterhand needs to be different in appearance to Blofeld in Bond 25 - i.e. either they're recasting or Waltz and Eon are playing a game where he'll be revealed from the Shatterhand character who looks quite different to Blofeld in Spectre.

So, Maddy leaves Bond at the start of the film ... he's depressed as in YOLT, he's recruited by M to do an 'impossible' mission as in YOLT, and what seems to be a standalone mission brings him back to face his nemesis Blofeld.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited October 2017 Posts: 40,456
    MGM mentions it will announce the distribution for B25 "at a later date," as they join up with Annapurna for theatrical distributions:

http://deadline.com/2017/10/mgm-theatrical-distribution-annapurna-james-bond-1202197849/
    I sincerely hope it doesn't mean we're getting a feminist Bond film. Lol!