No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

IF this is true, then I'm somewhat disappointed : I don't know this actor but I like the idea of a fairly unknown veteran to play the villain. I think it serves the plot better. Although at 41, he feels a bit young against Craig. I also was very happy with a Russian villain. But I understand you can't anger them if the movie was meant to be more political.

I'm surprised: people want a more traditional Bond movie, it appears that it is what Bab and Co want, Boyle apparently wanted his own thing, yet we're all up in arms about him leaving?
    people are up in arms because this likely means a 5 year gap between movies
    RC7 wrote: »
    "Craig has a big say in all the casting decisions. None of the Bond girls have been chosen without his say so," the source said.
    If this is in any way true, then Craig has way to much to say in the production side of things. I really hope the next guy won't have that luxury.

Only as much as Tom Cruise in M:I, but I guess that doesn’t suit certain agendas.

Agendas?
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Sad, sad state of affairs. EON needs to do damage control here pronto, otherwise things are looking pretty grim. It’s a shame the Craig era has been plagued by so many dilemmas & misfortunes. If a solution to this situation isn’t found soon, I think we can unfortunately kiss Craig goodbye & Bond 25 will be delayed until a new leading man is hired. I pray I’m wrong.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    "Craig has a big say in all the casting decisions. None of the Bond girls have been chosen without his say so," the source said.
    If this is in any way true, then Craig has way to much to say in the production side of things. I really hope the next guy won't have that luxury.
    If the casting of an actor was the real & only reason for this then the wrong person was sacked in my opinion.
    Getafix wrote: »
    sounds like There has been a serious lack of professionalism by someone.

Someone's been throwing the toys out of the pram.

pretty sorry state of affairs for everyone involved really
    Quite.

I'm still not sure what to make of this and hopefully the record is set straight soon. For the moment it seems as though you may be right, regrettably.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Escalus5 wrote: »
    TROO7 wrote:
    Whoa. This is the first I'm hearing of Craig having disputes with Campbell. What happened there?

This came up earlier in the thread (I'll see if I can find the post and add it here as an edit). Basically Campbell was a strict taskmaster on CR, and Craig did not like his approach. Campbell wanted to direct QOS but was not asked back; he suspects it was because of Craig.

This was not reported by the press -- it was included in a Facebook post by someone in the industry who spoke to Campbell at an event, so make of that what you will.

Look at that...if this is to be believed... then Craig disappointingly comes off like a whiny bitch crying to the headmistress (Babs). In Campbell we have a director who knows Bond clearly better than Craig ever will, does his job effectively and once again not only saves the franchise but delivers Craig's best film in his career and one of the best Bond films in the series and is posted all because little Danny was made to work hard for this film to be a success and for his own good considering the negativity and doubts surrounding his casting.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited August 2018 Posts: 7,969
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    Sad, sad state of affairs. EON needs to do damage control here pronto, otherwise things are looking pretty grim. It’s a shame the Craig era has been plagued by so many dilemmas & misfortunes. If a solution to this situation isn’t found soon, I think we can unfortunately kiss Craig goodbye & Bond 25 will be delayed until a new leading man is hired. I pray I’m wrong.

I don't think you are.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    talos7 wrote: »
    If Craig leaves then forget 3rd December for start of shooting. Even if he stays can they knock the Purvis/Wade script into shape and have a competent director in place to meet the 3rd December deadline? Also the production has been geared around the Hodges script, the Purvis/Wade script is unrelated..........big change of direction for the production.

But do we want that?
    At the end of the day I want a good bond film and this whole rushing thing can’t be can it?
    Well, Hemsworth can't act, can't carry a movie, and has no box office draw if he's not playing Thor.

Other than that -- no, I have no doubts.

Obviously we have different appraisals. Lol.

Isn’t he Australian?
    We know how that went last time...
    You are kidding. right? So ALL Australians are the same? It was because he was an Aussie that Lazenby didn’t ultimately work out?
    Actually, considering his virtual lack of any acting experience, he was quite good; had he done more films, he would have grown into the rol nicely.

No but in the same way a black shouldn’t play bond, I don’t think an American/ Australian should either.

Australia is in the commonwealth.

So is Bangladesh.
    Doesn’t mean that the country should qualify for bond actors
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 4,599
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Wasn’t it rumored somewhere that P & W script was an adaptation of YOLT?

Just speculation among members here.

This was also in the NY Post (I know) a year ago.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    If Craig leaves then forget 3rd December for start of shooting. Even if he stays can they knock the Purvis/Wade script into shape and have a competent director in place to meet the 3rd December deadline? Also the production has been geared around the Hodges script, the Purvis/Wade script is unrelated..........big change of direction for the production.

But do we want that?
    At the end of the day I want a good bond film and this whole rushing thing can’t be can it?
    Well, Hemsworth can't act, can't carry a movie, and has no box office draw if he's not playing Thor.

Isn’t he Australian?
    You are kidding. right? So ALL Australians are the same? It was because he was an Aussie that Lazenby didn’t ultimately work out?
    Actually, considering his virtual lack of any acting experience, he was quite good; had he done more films, he would have grown into the rol nicely.

No but in the same way a black shouldn’t play bond, I don’t think an American/ Australian should either.

So is Bangladesh.

... in your opinion

edited August 2018 Posts: 23,883

But do we want that?

Isn’t he Australian?

So is Bangladesh.
    Very true.I wouldn't want a Bangladeshi as Bond either, come to think of it. Best to keep the doors closed to UK nationals only rather than expand to former colonies.
    odd to lose a job over something so trivial
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    @bondjames that’s probably for the best
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    I know this has nothing to do with the recent news. But why the hell this domain redirects to a young british actor profile on IMDB, called Oaklee Pendergast?

http://bond25.co.uk/
    Getafix wrote: »
    people are up in arms because this likely means a 5 year gap between movies

Does it?
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    doubleoego wrote: »
    TROO7 wrote:
    Whoa. This is the first I'm hearing of Craig having disputes with Campbell. What happened there?

This came up earlier in the thread (I'll see if I can find the post and add it here as an edit). Basically Campbell was a strict taskmaster on CR, and Craig did not like his approach. Campbell wanted to direct QOS but was not asked back; he suspects it was because of Craig.

This was not reported by the press -- it was included in a Facebook post by someone in the industry who spoke to Campbell at an event, so make of that what you will.

Look at that...if this is to be believed... then Craig disappointingly comes off like a whiny bitch crying to the headmistress (Babs). In Campbell we have a director who knows Bond clearly better than Craig ever will, does his job effectively and once again not only saves the franchise but delivers Craig's best film in his career and one of the best Bond films in the series and is posted all because little Danny was made to work hard for this film to be a success and for his own good considering the negativity and doubts surrounding his casting.

First of all, all of that is hearsay. There have never been any reports of DC and MC having issues. The only reports that have EVER come out about DC on set is that he is one of the most professional actors in the biz. From Dench to Bardem to Waltz to Mara to Driver. All have sung his praises.

That said, Martin Campbell is a nobody. He's a third-rate director who is now over-the-hill. And, no, he doesn't know Bond better than Craig.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 17,241
    bondjames wrote: »
    If the casting of an actor was the real & only reason for this then the wrong person was sacked in my opinion.

Agree. What I can't understand (again, if this is true), is why the casting of this Tomasz Kot is so "controversial". Boyle certainly must have felt strongly about this guy being the right man for the part.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,883
    patb wrote: »
    He certainly does. Too cool for our mature Bond perhaps? Or too tall? He's 6ft 6.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »

I don't think you are.

Looks like...
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Britain calls up Danny Boyle and Peter Jackson for Armistice centenary
    https://thetimes.co.uk/article/britain-calls-up-danny-boyle-and-peter-jackson-for-armistice-centenary-hgks90zwj

This was published on 19 August, 2018, so his departure would have been known about for some time if he's already taking on new projects in November 2018.

He already agree to do that back in January. You can find articles about Boyle doing something for the Armistice centenary that were posted back in January.
    He certainly does. Too cool for our mature Bond perhaps? Or too tall? He's 6ft 6.

Really we are doing napoleon jokes now...sigh
  • I really hope that Doyle didn't walk because he was planning another 'adult' Bond movie, continuing the good work on Craig's four films but studio suits are demanding a more lighthearted, action packed approach. I've had my fill of Jaws, JW Pepper, invisible cars and childish gags, I've got a bad feeling about the way this is going.
    Risico007 wrote: »

Really we are doing napoleon jokes now...sigh
    The whole thing is a joke at this point, at least based on what we're learning, if true. At least have a laugh over it. The alternative is depression and frustration.

Craig wouldn't mind. His humour is just as sarcastic, as we know.

But do we want that?

Isn’t he Australian?

So is Bangladesh.

Britain is filled with suave British Asians. An Asian bond is more realistic than a black bond.
  • RC7RC7

Agree. What I can't understand (again, if this is true), is why the casting of this Tomasz Kot is so "controversial". Boyle certainly must have felt strongly about this guy being the right man for the part.

Or perhaps it was the excuse Boyle needed to bail. This certainly isn’t just a case of two professionals arguing over casting Imo.
    It must have been a major falling out over this actor dude to justify quitting the film.

Pathetic and sort of disrespectful to the fans that they couldn’t all find a way through.
    It does sound so trivial and petty, but if it is true then it was simply a case where Craig said to EON "Either he leaves or I do."
    Given a situation like that, what else can they do?
    Could have been the last straw, if Boyle was adamant about his casting and Craig and Barb had somebody else, better known, in mind.
    Apparently, insiders on Twitter have heard that Eon were attempting to tinker on Hodge's script to Boyle's chagrin