No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    They must stick with the hodge script if they want to start production on December 3rd there is no going back to the original purvis and wade script without delay
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    talos7 wrote: »
    According to this Guardian article, the Hodges script is dumped. Purvis and Wade's will be polished. Craig may go off the project and the earliest we see the film is late 2020:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/aug/22/danny-boyle-james-bond-daniel-craig

All right then, a relaunch with a new actor.

Campbell +. Hemsworth + Arnold

Now I know others have their preferences, but , with a good script, is there any reasonable doubt that with these three we would get a competently made, fun, entertaining film?
    Well, Hemsworth can't act, can't carry a movie, and has no box office draw if he's not playing Thor.

Other than that -- no, I have no doubts.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Why James Bond Should Be Black But Batman Should Stay White
    https://hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/why-james-bond-should-be-black-but-batman-should-stay-white-1136282

I live for the day when Ian Fleming rises from the grave and shouts he looks like bloody Hoagy Carmichael you half wits!
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    If Craig leaves then forget 3rd December for start of shooting. Even if he stays can they knock the Purvis/Wade script into shape and have a competent director in place to meet the 3rd December deadline? Also the production has been geared around the Hodges script, the Purvis/Wade script is unrelated..........big change of direction for the production.

But do we want that?
    At the end of the day I want a good bond film and this whole rushing thing can’t be can it?
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 4,400
    Is there any way that Boyle returns?

Could Daniel not make an eleventh hour call and try to get him back? I assume that must have happened before the statement was released on Twitter.

A similar thing happened with David Lynch on the new Twin Peaks. He wanted to do 19 episodes and requested a bigger budget. he publicly left the project and basically twisted Showtime's arm to acquiescence to his demands.

Could Boyle be doing the same? I suppose the only big difference there was that no really is no Twin Peaks without David Lynch. Bond has been around long before Danny Boyle and will be around a long time after.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a compromise deal being struck right now. Regardless, I think Eon have a replacement lined up and are closing the deal currently. I expect word on the replacement before the end of the week.

I think Barbara Broccoli is having a bad week.
  • SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    Wasn't yesterday's statement from EON *and* Daniel Craig? So now the Hodge script is tossed (even though casting has started along with other pre-production elements) and DC is off? This Guardian piece sounds more like speculation than fact. I won't be getting my knickers in a twist until the producers confirm anything, but the danger is other media outlets will run all of this as fact in the meantime
    Escalus5 wrote: »
    Well, Hemsworth can't act, can't carry a movie, and has no box office draw if he's not playing Thor.

Obviously we have different appraisals. Lol.
    If Craig leaves then forget 3rd December for start of shooting. Even if he stays can they knock the Purvis/Wade script into shape and have a competent director in place to meet the 3rd December deadline? Also the production has been geared around the Hodges script, the Purvis/Wade script is unrelated..........big change of direction for the production.

But do we want that?
    At the end of the day I want a good bond film and this whole rushing thing can’t be can it?

Isn’t he Australian?
    We know how that went last time...
    Is there any way that Boyle returns?

Could Daniel not make an eleventh hour call and try to get him back? I assume that must have happened before the statement was released on Twitter.

A similar thing happened with David Lynch on the new Twin Peaks. He wanted to do 19 episodes and requested a bigger budget. he publicly left the project and basically twisted Showtime's arm to acquiescence to his demands.

Could Boyle be doing the same? I suppose the only big difference there was that no really is no Twin Peaks without David Lynch. Bond has been around long before Danny Boyle and will be around a long time after.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a compromise deal being struck right now. Regardless, I think Eon have a replacement lined up and are closing the deal currently. I expect word on the replacement before the end of the week.

I think Barbara Broccoli is having a bad week.

If Boyle is finishing his Beatles film, and doing the WWI Armistice Event in November, how would have time for Bond now?
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    I just thought about that too what if Danny Boyle does a Sam Mendes turnaround and come back to direct but I'm confident eon do have someone lined up already possibly Christopher Mcquire since his name was thrown out shortly after the announcement of boyle's departure but yet part of me is still very worried about a delay
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    "Danny Boyle has decided to no longer direct Bond 25".

What if he is just stepping down as director, but staying on with Hodge as a sort of creative consultant / producer?

If that was the case, if Boyle was staying on in another position then that would have been front and centre in that press release for damage control.
  • SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    Pretty sure this Boyle business is final. EON wouldn't issue a statement if negotiations were still ongoing, surely?
    TR007 wrote: »
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    "Danny Boyle has decided to no longer direct Bond 25".

What if he is just stepping down as director, but staying on with Hodge as a sort of creative consultant / producer?

If that was the case, if Boyle was staying on in another position then that would have been front and centre in that press release for damage control.

So would including Hodge's name if they were keeping his script.
    They might've left Boyle & company go out of control similar to what happened with that writer in 2014 with spectre. Babs got furious when she realized the film was shaping up to be too political or bogged down with no action, I'm sure fallout made them nervous as well. Boyle was the wrong choice to begin with. I was meh when he was announced

But do we want that?

Isn’t he Australian?
    You are kidding. right? So ALL Australians are the same? It was because he was an Aussie that Lazenby didn’t ultimately work out?
    Actually, considering his virtual lack of any acting experience, he was quite good; had he done more films, he would have grown into the rol nicely.

• DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.

I am disappointed because I liked the idea of Boyle directing a Bond film. This is part of show biz, movie biz ... I trust they will handle it without making a huge screw up.

Unlike DAD, that is?

But do we want that?

Isn’t he Australian?
    You are kidding. right? So ALL Australians are the same? It was because he was an Aussie that Lazenby didn’t ultimately work out?
    Actually, considering his virtual lack of any acting experience, he was quite good; had he done more films, he would have grown into the rol nicely.

No but in the same way a black shouldn’t play bond, I don’t think an American/ Australian should either.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

Actually Hemsworth can act. He's far from being a great actor but he can act and I'd go as far as to say he has a lot more charisma than Craig...by far. As for box office draw; I mentioned this a few days ago but Craig has never EVER been a BO draw even since becoming Bond. His films don't even come close to breaking even. Craig's only saving grace where people fawn over him outside of Bond is theatre work.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    doubleoego wrote: »

Actually Hemsworth can act. He's far from being a great actor but he can act and I'd go as far as to say he has a lot more charisma than Craig...by far. As for box office draw; I mentioned this a few days ago but Craig has never EVER been a BO draw even since becoming Bond. His films don't even come close to breaking even. Craig's only saving grace where people fawn over him outside of Bond is theatre work.

Nonsense. I am one of Craig's biggest detractors but he is a solid actor and all his Bond films have been smash hits, box office wise. Creatively maybe not, but that's another discussion.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited August 2018 Posts: 11,139
    Roadphill wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »

Nonsense. I am one of Craig's biggest detractors but he is a solid actor and all his Bond films have been smash hits, box office wise. Creatively maybe not, but that's another discussion.

I was talking about his non Bond films.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited August 2018 Posts: 7,969
    They took 3 years finding someone to direct that Craig was happy with, now all of a sudden they are going to find someone else in a couple weeks and move forward without a hitch? I don't think people are appreciating that Hodge's script was based on Boyles original idea, which was supposed to be different from what we have seen in Bond films typically. The story itself was chosen to suit Boyles sensibilities and fit in with the rest of his filmography. It's not a standard script which any director can pretty much take in any direction, he had a very specific idea in mind or so we were lead to believe. The challenge is finding another director who sees the same potential in the idea as Boyle did, and one which Craig and EON are happy to put their faith in and who is available to start immediately. That's not going to be easy, no matter what spin we try and put on things.
    I read that Guardian article; seems a lot more like speculation and I would still say we don’t really know the final damage just yet. Perhaps they like most of Hodge’s script but wanted to tweak certain things Boyle disagreed on? Certainly the idea of James Bond dying or something along those line should always be kept off the table!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    I think the Prague decision was not Campbell's idea. They used it, as they had to shoot at the Barrandov studios, as Pinewood Studios were not available. They also used the Bahamas to double up for Madagascar. And somewehre in Wales for Uganda.

This girl is a hack. she has too much time on her hands and is obsessed with Marvel/Star Wars.

I'm getting hyped for an imminent Yann Demange announcement...
    Bond25.jpg
    is this what they call 'production hell'?
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 12,243
    I know we don’t really know much right now, but I have a feeling they are quickly looking for the next director and will continue with the Hodge story. Shouldn’t we have gotten a bigger announcement yesterday if the story/current casting had been scrapped? Or maybe they haven’t decided yet themselves?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Grace I don't always agree with though she makes some gone points in this breakdown

This girl is a hack. she has too much time on her hands and is obsessed with Marvel/Star Wars.

I'm getting hyped for an imminent Yann Demange announcement...
    Bond25.jpg

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Getafix wrote: »
    is this what they call 'production hell'?

Yes.