No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• edited February 2018 Posts: 3,333
    Isn t Trainspotting the only semi decent film he has done?
    The Beach, Slumdog Millionaire, Sunshine, 28 Days Later, 127 Hours, Shallow Grave are all pretty solid movies. Though I think you might prefer his Darcey Bussell's New Dance work.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I haven t seen 127 Hours or Shallow Grave. Didn t care for those others personally.
    28 Days Later was decent. Haven’t seen the rest, but wanted to see 127 Hours.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 12,837
    Isn t Trainspotting the only semi decent film he has done?

I don't agree. Shallow Grave and 28 Days Later are brilliant. T2 was a worthy sequel. Steve Jobs was great and I thought Slumdog Millionaire was well done for what it was. 127 Hours was very intense. Millions had a lot of heart, Sunshine is one of the best space/sci fi movies I've ever seen. I'd say the only weak films he's done are The Beach and A Life Less Ordinary (which still deserves some credit because it was a fairly original idea). And sort of cheating because it isn't a film but surely putting together the 2012 ceremony shows how talented he is. I think patriotic isn't really a word that I'd often use to describe the vibe over here but that ceremony was really well done and really made waves. I felt a genuine sense of pride watching it and I think judging by how well it went down, I wasn't the only one.

If he gets the gig then I think he'd have the most impressive CV out of all the Bond directors by far.
    Danny Boyle Bond film = Underworld theme

Bond presumably would have to drink lager, lager, lager, lager.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    UNCLE a “shite film”? You lot must’ve been watching an entirely different movie. A collage of Season 3 by any chance?
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    T2 trainspotting is awesome, I really like what he does with the characters and would be glad if he would bring that to bond. So on paper I’m super down for Boyle. However T2 also has some real plot contrivances and a couple holes that really bother me and if he brought that to B25 that would hinder my enjoyment of it even with some good character stuff
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Now I'm curious to see King Arthur.
    UNCLE a “shite film”? You lot must’ve been watching an entirely different movie. A collage of Season 3 by any chance?

Really liked UNCLE myself, too. Very different from the tv series, but still fun.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 15,423
    Really liked UNCLE myself, too. Very different from the tv series, but still fun.
    Definitely. And I’m impatiently waiting for the sequel.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    jamesdut wrote: »
    I can't see how the producers, writers and Daniel Craig all sat down to discuss where to take bond 25 last year, then to consider another director would want his own writer for a totally new script. It doesn't make sense. If anything I would say Boyle may request his own writer to help rewrite the script to some of his vision and ideas but keeping the story that all parties must of discussed and been working on for the best part of a year!

They obviously want Boyle and will do whatever it takes to get him. (See: Mendes and SF/SP.)
    Now I'm curious to see King Arthur.
    Go watch it, it´s splendid entertainment. I really, really don´t get all that negativity.

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Also enjoyed it quite a bit! Deserved a better reception, in my opinion.
    Most certainly.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

My thoughts, too. It was well done, and Alicia Vikander was...how do I say it...ssssssmokin'!!!!!!!!!!
    What really interests me is how Danny Boyle and John Hodge got involved at all. Did they they get in touch with BB & MGW and tell them they have an idea for Bond 25? Did EON call up Boyle and ask him if he would be interested and then Boyle and Hodge came up with an idea?

Haven’t they been trying to tempt Boyle for years?
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 17,279

Any more news on the possible sequel?
    TripAces wrote: »

My thoughts, too. It was well done, and Alicia Vikander was...how do I say it...ssssssmokin'!!!!!!!!!!

She would be a great Bond girl. Perhaps in Bond 26 with a new (and younger) Bond?
    I’m told talks are still underway but it’s a long shot. A shot that deserves to hit the mark.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 17,279
    I’m told talks are still underway but it’s a long shot. A shot that deserves to hit the mark.

Hope they end up doing a sequel in the end! Period spy comedies aren't made often enough! Throw in another Daniel Pemberton score, as well. His score for UNCLE was fantastic.
    Hope they end up doing a sequel in the end! Period spy comedies aren't made often enough! Throw in another Daniel Pemberton score, as well. His score for UNCLE was fantastic.
    Indeed. Although, I wouldn’t call it a “comedy” just light with humour. And a great one at that! :D

It’s a EuroSpy film using modern techniques, which I love.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    A few more whispers and gossip appearing here and there. True or not, it cant be too long before one of these rumours turns out to be true.
    I'd have no problem with Danny Boyle taking the reigns of Bond 25. Certainly a better option than a third Mendes film. Sorry Sam.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 11,425
    And Daniel Pemberton has worked with Danny Boyle too.

Wikipedia claims Fleming created The Man from UNCLE... I’ve literally never heard that claim previously.

Given the film only made $100m I would have thought the chances of a sequel are close to zero.
    Fleming didn't exactly create UNCLE. Fleming created the character of Napoleon Solo and April Dancer (the Girl from UNCLE). The show was to be originally titled Ian Fleming's Solo, but then he was forced to sell his rights to the IP for a buck (literally) due to pressure from Saltzman and Broccoli.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,883
    bondsum wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    bondsum wrote: »
    patb wrote: »
    The whole thing could be a set up just to keep Bond in the news pending any genuine progress.
    It does smell uncomfortably like the Nolan parallel script rumour of a few months back. Coincidentally, it sort of takes the media discussion off Craig's face for the time being too, which is probably not a bad thing.
    I never heard that preposterous rumour about Nolan producing a parallel script before, @bondjames. Where did it appear... The Beano?
    Actually @bondsum if I'm not mistaken you commented on it yourself a few months back (although you may not have realized the full story behind it). It originated from a few sources including a forum member and a reddit user known as cashleypersia. It was the basis for the 'Nolan as director' rumour.
    Ha ha. Did I? Oh, you mean that fake news charlatan on Reddit? So I was close when I mentioned The Beano source then?
    It was a bit more than the infamous redditer @bondsum. The Spanish fan website which first posited the possibility also cited some (unnamed) journalistic sources from the US & UK.

Still it's quite ironic that this new Boyle/Hodge rumour is essentially a retread of that prior Nolan speculation regarding dualing scripts and what not.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's nonsense too.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 4,619
    It's not nonsense. Deadline.com is a reputable, trustworthy site.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I'm sure it is. Let's see. Some of us were quite certain it was going to be Nolan too up until recently, if I recall correctly.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 4,023
    Fleming didn't exactly create UNCLE. Fleming created the character of Napoleon Solo and April Dancer (the Girl from UNCLE). The show was to be originally titled Ian Fleming's Solo, but then he was forced to sell his rights to the IP for a buck (literally) due to pressure from Saltzman and Broccoli.

What was the pressure from Saltzsman and Broccoli all about?
    I'm sure it is. Let's see. Some of us were quite certain it was going to be Nolan too up until recently, if I recall correctly.

Let’s be honest until announced I take everything with a grain of salt however some rumors “feel” more true then others

I still don’t think it will be Boyle look if he gets the job I won’t be shocked but he turned them down twice already so I don’t know however third time might be a charm)
    vzok wrote: »
    What was the pressure from Saltzsman and Broccoli all about?
    I can't recall exactly, but @AlexanderWaverly is the expert on the matter, so I'll leave that to him.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it Deadline.com that broke the news about Yann Demange, Denis Villeneuve and David Mackenzie being the front-runners for Bond 25 back in July last year that everybody repeated elsewhere? They never tipped Nolan as a possible candidate as far as I know, unless you're referring to Pistoles fervid belief that Nolan was signed up already, which no one (apart from himself) believed anyway.