No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    00Agent wrote: »
    Not agreeing with anyone here regarding Harris. I like her a lot as Moneypenny and think she and Craig have wonderful chemistry.

But go on and be a bunch of negative nancies. :P

There is something horribly efficient about you.
    +2
    I loved her in Skyfall (shaving scene anyone?)

She was not being Moneypenny in that scene, though. Heck, she never was Moneypenny in Skyfall, she only said "I'll keep working behind the desk from now on" at the end but she was an entirely different character at first. It was only in SPECTRE that we saw her be M's secretary.

And that's the problem really. If she'd been any other character she would have been great, but when you think of the character played by Lois Maxwell, Naomi Harris doesn't work as Miss Moneypenny. Harris should have just been a field colleague of Bond's and the whole "we never introduced properly"/"My name's Eve Moneypenny" exchange should have never happened.
    Why are people here surprised (or pretending to be surprised) every time we get a rumour suggesting BOND 25 won't be a traditional Bond film? Danny Boyle is directing it. OF COURSE it won't be a traditional Bond film!

What are you even talking about?
    110% Mark Strong in the video and the fact that it’s been deleted means that maybe he wasn’t allowed to give that information up?

That's my thought as well, unless they're really playing with us. Remember Ellie Goulding tweeting "Live And Let Die" in summer 2015?*

*admittedly that was a different situation and I don't even think EON had a say in that, it was just Goulding doing a favour to Sam Smith.

One aspect missing from Craig’s films, (besides CR & QOS), was the espionage. M repeatedly told 007 that he’s an assassin and we heard Bond tell Madeline that he kills people for a living.

I love Craig but I seriously hope they come up with a great plot. He needs to do some REAL spy work this time, not just be an assassin. He is now a seasoned veteran and I am hoping for a crazy plot.

+1
    I want Whishaw to play the role for years to come.

Me too, it's just that I don't want Q to be overtly present like he was in Austria. MI6 staff should stay in London and only show in one or two brief scenes.

• echoecho 007 in New York
    Walecs wrote: »

Me too, it's just that I don't want Q to be overtly present like he was in Austria. MI6 staff should stay in London and only show in one or two brief scenes.

I feel like Mendes realized that Craig/Seydoux didn't have a ton of chemistry and compensated by cutting in longer scenes with actors with whom Craig did (Whishaw, Harris). But it's just a hunch.

Something went horribly wrong with the casting department with SP. That's what I would overhaul first.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Walecs wrote: »
    That's it. I'm fine with the amount of screen time and traveling Q got in SF and SP, but I don't want that every time. Emphasize Q's fear of flying a bit more.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Never liked Whishaw’s Q. He’d have been better off as Q’s assistant or something like that, but not Q. Can’t say I like Naomie Harris as Moneypenny since the character is clearly tailored to be a field agent rather than a sweet secretary. Fiennes as M is good, however. If only they wouldn’t give him a role where he doubts Bond’s every move.

+1

I totally disagree.

Whishaw has been the MVP of the most recent Bond films. In fact, I much prefer his performance in many respects to that of Desmond's.

The original Q was iconic but Whishaw has been on scene-stealing form and I honestly can't wait to see him in Bond 25. I want him to continue in the role for years to come. In fact, I'm a little nervous that they'll re-cast the part once Daniel leaves. I want Whishaw to play the role for years to come.

Ben Whishaw is also a terrific actor who completely disappears into each role he plays. I think he's more of the most talented and hardest working actors in the UK currently. He was rather good in A Very English Scandal (though Hugh Grant was the highlight in that for me).

Also, I think Harris fits the Moneypenny role effortlessly. Her chemistry with Craig is terrific and I genuinely anticipated her scenes with Bond in both SF and SP.
    As much as I disagree with you on Harris´ MP, I totally agree with you on Wishaw´s Q. He´s a gift, especially since he´s so young and could technically play the role for the next 40 years.

• RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    Someone let it slip on Reddit that bond drives a new Aston & avoids a close death in b25

Doesn't Bond always avoid a close death?
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    Jesus Christ. All these rumours, more London, Cumberbatch and Jolie, ect, sound bloody awful.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Roadphill wrote: »
    Jesus Christ. All these rumours, more London, Cumberbatch and Jolie, ect, sound bloody awful.
    I think (and hope) that we're being tolled.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    The French James Bond Club have a report from the 007 Elements with some new details regarding pre-production and casting.
    Why?
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    The French James Bond Club have a report from the 007 Elements with some new details regarding pre-production and casting.

Google translated last paragraph:

"The artistic director revealed to us that the character of the Bond Girl would fit perfectly to the profile of Rachel Weisz. Since Daniel Craig's wife is pregnant, this quality casting will not take place, but it reveals the direction in which they want to go."

The Jolie rumour is suddenly much more credible.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

"The artistic director revealed to us that the character of the Bond Girl would fit perfectly to the profile of Rachel Weisz. Since Daniel Craig's wife is pregnant, this quality casting will not take place, but it reveals the direction in which they want to go."

Why? They're both brunettes?
    And the movie is titled Wave link trust me he knows
    Someone let it slip on Reddit that bond drives a new Aston & avoids a close death in b25

Doesn't Bond always avoid a close death?
    Doesn´t @Tuck91´s post be sarcastic?

jake24 wrote: »

Are you kidding me? Both are around the same age and both would be more likely to play a villain than a protagonist.
    edited July 2018 Posts: 10,588
    jake24 wrote: »

Are you kidding me? Both are around the same age and both would be more likely to play a villain than a protagonist.
    Of course!! How foolish of me. Thank you.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Just one thing about this Cashley guy: how did he know that Boyle was in LA? It wasn't reported in any media outlets.

But Boyle WAS in LA to finish some scenes for the Beatles film-- how did he know that?
    peter wrote: »
    Just one thing about this Cashley guy: how did he know that Boyle was in LA? It wasn't reported in any media outlets.

But Boyle WAS in LA to finish some scenes for the Beatles film-- how did he know that?
    I've also known for about 2 weeks that Boyle would finish his Beatles movie in LA. He mentioned it in an interview a couple of weeks ago.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Thanks @PanchitoPistoles , I didn't read that, but i did know he was going to LA to shoot the final scenes in LA.
    peter wrote: »
    Thanks @PanchitoPistoles , I didn't read that, but i did know he was going to LA to shoot the final scenes in LA.

I found the interview (it's actually more recent that I remembered): https://youtube.com/watch?v=BvImfsgWaBM

At 1:45 Boyle mentions that the story travels to LA. I remember when I first saw this last week I was a bit surprised because earlier I thought the whole movie would be shot in the UK, and scenes taking place in LA (outdoors scenes) would be quite difficult to shoot in Britain. My conclusion was that they have either shot the LA scenes before they started filming in the UK, or they would film those scenes at the very end of principal photography.

The video has only about 50 views, so it's likely that Cashley has not seen it, and I don't think Boyle filming in LA was mentioned anywhere else, so it seems Cashley does have some genuine sources after all.
    Or he saw it and move on from there
    Jolie might be their way of snagging a Billion gross
    Or might be there way of pissing off fans
    Risico007 wrote: »

What I was thinking. Honestly, I'd be about as thrilled with Jolie as I was when Halle was cast in DAD.
    Angeline Jolie is a tremendously talented actress. The Bond franchise would be very lucky to have her.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited July 2018 Posts: 12,988
    She's also a big celebrity that would detract from a Bond film for many folks. I'm ag'in it.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I don't see Jolie fitting into a Bond movie at all, sounds as jarring as Halle in DAD. Don't know about calling her "tremendously talented," most of the stuff I've seen her in was rather forgettable. She's too stoic for my tastes.
    Would be a bad idea alltogether and would only fistract from the film as Richard says. I also dont think, her fan base is still that strong, bit I could be wrong
    Angeline Jolie is a tremendously talented actress. The Bond franchise would be very lucky to have her.

How show me one film where she was generally good outside of girl interrupted which I guess acting against Whoopi one would have to be decent
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 4,619
    142 days until filming begins!

My dream crew, considering the already rumoured and confirmed crew members:

Director: Danny Boyle
    Writer: John Hodge (and nobody else)
    Composer: Daniel Pemberton
    Cinematographer: Anthony Dod Mantle
    Production Designer: Mark Tildesley
    Editor: John Harris
    Costume Designer: Suttirat Anne Larlarb

This would be an incredible crew, one of the best if not the best in Bond movie history.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

How show me one film where she was generally good outside of girl interrupted which I guess acting against Whoopi one would have to be decent
    Have you never seen Changeling?