No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Because of JK? Simmons?

You know, I actually wouldn’t mind them working JK Simmons into a Bond movie at some point. The Portal fan in me would appreciate him playing a mad CEO of some scientific company.
    "I want. Pictures! of 007! Now!"
    Because of JK? Simmons?

You know, I actually wouldn’t mind them working JK Simmons into a Bond movie at some point. The Portal fan in me would appreciate him playing a mad CEO of some scientific company.

I'd love him to be a silent depressed henchman/assassin, someone one could empathise with. That'd be nice, for a change.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    “I’m the man who’s going to burn MI6 down! With the Lemons!” :D
    “I’m the man who’s going to burn MI6 down! With the Lemons!” :D
    =))

Comment of the day!
    "Not quite my tempo, Mr. Bond"
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    I dont mean to derail this thread further, but I am also a huge fan of the Bourne scores.

@bondjames
    They are good scores indeed. I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes them very much. Heavy on electronics, but not a bad "direction" to take the Bond music in.
    I'd be open to a bit of electronica incorporated with the traditional orchestral sound of Bond @DarthDimi. If it's done tastefully and sparingly, it could certainly work. Bourne On Land (below) is a perfect example of what I mean. One of my favourite tracks from the first film, and just perfect for the train scene.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    I really wish EON would be a bit more generous in the news department. Would really love to know what is taking place behind the scenes (if anything). Very worrisome.
    Last time they did that was during the production of QoS.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    I really wish EON would be a bit more generous in the news department. Would really love to know what is taking place behind the scenes (if anything). Very worrisome.

A script is being polished. Reporting on that is nothing to the majority of the film-going public.

Nothing exciting is happening for the average person waiting for news as they restructure the story to fit the new director's vision.

As @ColonelSun, @RC7 , and any other person who has been involved in film development will tell you: making a film, to the non-filmmaker, is like watching paint dry on the wall.

But behind the scenes, there are plenty of developments.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    3760._SY180_.jpg
    Diamonds Are Forever, Ian Fleming, 1956.
    Chapter 10 - Studillac to Saratoga

"It's about two hundred miles," said Leiter when they were down on the Hudson River Parkway. "Almost due north up the Hudson. In New York State. Just south of the Adirondacks and not far short of the Canadian border. We'll take the Taconic Parkway. There's no hurry, so we'll go easy. And I don't want to get a ticket. There's a fifty-mile speed limit in most of New York State, and the cops are fierce. But I can generally get away from them if I'm in a hurry. They don't book you if they can't catch you. Too ashamed to turn up in court and admit something is faster than their Indians."
    "But I thought those Indians could do well over ninety," said Bond, thinking that his friend had become a bit of a show-off since the old days. "I didn't know these Studebakers had it in them."

There was a straight stretch of empty road in front of them. Leiter gave a brief glance in his driving mirror and suddenly rammed the gear lever into second and thrust his foot into the floor. Bond's head jerked back on his shoulders, and he felt his spine being rammed into the back of the bucket seat. Incredulously, he glanced at the hooded speedometer. Eighty. With a clang Leiter's hook hit the gear lever into top. The car went on gathering speed. Ninety, ninety-five, six, seven-and then there was a bridge and a converging road and Leiter's foot was on the brake and the deep roar of the engine gave way to a steady thrumming as they settled down in the seventies and swept easily through the graded curves.

Leiter glanced sideways at Bond and grinned. "Nearly another thirty in hand," he said proudly. "Not long ago I paid five dollars and put her through the measured mile at Daytona. She clocked a hundred and twenty-seven and that beach surface isn't any too hot."

"Well I'll be damned," said Bond incredulously. "But what sort of a car is this anyway? Isn't it a Studebaker?"

"Studillac," said Leiter. "Studebaker with a Cadillac engine. Special transmission and brakes and rear axle. Conversion job. A small firm near New York turns them out. Only a few, but they're a damn sight better sports car than those Corvettes and Thunderbirds. And you couldn't have anything better than this body. Designed by that Frenchman, Raymond Loewy. Best designer in the world. But it's a bit too advanced for the American market. Studebaker's never got enough credit for this body. Too unconventional. Like the car? Bet I could give your old Bentley a licking." Leiter chuckled and reached in his left-hand pocket for a dime as they came to the Henry Hudson Bridge toll.

"Until one of your wheels came off," said Bond caustically as they accelerated away again. "This sort of hot-rod job's all right for kids who can't afford a real motor car."

They wrangled cheerfully over the respective merits of English and American sports cars until they came to the Westchester County toll and then, fifteen minutes later, they were out on the Taconic Parkway that snaked away northwards through a hundred miles of meadows and woodlands, and Bond settled back and silently enjoyed one of the most beautifully landscaped highways in the world, and wondered idly what the girl was doing and how, after Saratoga, he was to get to her again.
    studillac-ebready.jpg
    jbd_06.jpg
    studillac_0.jpg
    pchief4.jpg
    canada_usa.jpg?itok=b2kzDsyj

Is there any Fleming novel that doesn´t Mention Canada? It seems like a secret Code almost.
  • Blofeld0064Blofeld0064 Milford, Michigan
    https://www.motor1.com/news/276094/five-potential-bond-cars/

Here's a nice article about the potential cars bond could drive in B25.
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 4,619
    peter wrote: »
    But behind the scenes, there are plenty of developments.
    Those developments usually translate to leaks at this point. Filming is supposed to begin in 3 and a half months!
    @PanchitoPistoles stop the unnecessary hysteria! eon is keeping things more secret this time and keeping the leaks more to their chests we are happy that we have a great director the last thing we all need on this forum is your panicky rhetoric!
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I dont mean to derail this thread further, but I am also a huge fan of the Bourne scores.

@bondjames
    They are good scores indeed. I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes them very much. Heavy on electronics, but not a bad "direction" to take the Bond music in.
    I'd be open to a bit of electronica incorporated with the traditional orchestral sound of Bond @DarthDimi. If it's done tastefully and sparingly, it could certainly work. Bourne On Land (below) is a perfect example of what I mean. One of my favourite tracks from the first film, and just perfect for the train scene.

This is a favourite of mine actually. As far as tracks from the spy/thriller genre in general goes, this is one of the better.
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 646
    @PanchitoPistoles stop the unnecessary hysteria! eon is keeping things more secret this time and keeping the leaks more to their chests we are happy that we have a great director the last thing we all need on this forum is your panicky rhetoric!
    Why do people NEED to know everything that’s happening behind the scenes? How about going back to the good old days where you just waited until the movie came out in theaters and that’s when you went and saw it with a completely open mind, not knowing any details about it? What a novel idea, eh? Why must some people act like spoiled children? Tell us! Tell us! Tell us! Mwaaaaa!!! Tell us!! Mwaaaaaa!!!!! Don’t people have other things going on in their lives that can keep them occupied until the film hits theaters? I personally don’t even have time to think about all these Bond developments. Plus I really like going into a movie knowing as little as possible. I would prefer if producers didn’t tell fans a single thing about the movie. It just spoils so much. Even trailers show way too much! Just give me the name of the movie and tell me it’s a Bond film and that’s all I need to know.

@ringfire211 Hit the nail on the point!!

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited November 2018 Posts: 12,988
    But Canada.

boldfinger wrote: »
    Is there any Fleming novel that doesn´t Mention Canada? It seems like a secret Code almost.
    There is its surprising omission from Moonraker, Thunderball (!), The Man With the Golden Gun.

Octopussy and The Living Daylights included it out until published versions added "OO7 in New York". Though its presence there has the rare negative aspect. Surely some inside joke by Fleming.

4e453f6e06ecae7218163baa7e06fb38.jpg?w=186&h=300
    "OO7 in New York", Ian Fleming, 1963.
    Then there was the question of lunch. Dinner with Solange would be easy - Lutèce in the sixties, one of the great restaurants of the world. But for lunch by himself? In the old days it would certainly have been the '21,' but the expense-account aristocracy had captured even that stronghold, inflating the prices and, because they didn't know good from bad, deflating the food. But he would go there for old times' sake and have a couple of dry martinis - Beefeaters with a domestic vermouth, shaken with a twist of lemon peel - at the bar. And then what about the best meal in New York - at the Oyster Bar at Grand Central? No, he didn't want to sit up at a bar - somewhere spacious and comfortable where he could read a paper in peace. Yes. That was it! The Edwardian Room at the Plaza, a corner table. They didn't know him there, but he knew he could get what he wanted to eat - not like Chambord or Pavillon with their irritating Wine and Foodmanship and, in the case of the latter, the miasma of a hundred different women's scents to confound your palate. He would have one more dry martini at the table, then smoked salmon and the particular scrambled eggs he had once (Felix Leiter knew the head-waiter) instructed them how to make. Yes, that sounded all right. He would have to take a chance with the smoked salmon.
    It used to be Scotch in the Edwardian Room, not that thickly cut, dry and tasteless Canadian stuff.
    But one could never tell with American food. As long as they got their steaks and sea-food right, the rest could go to hell. And everything was so long frozen, in some vast communal food-morgue presumably, that flavour had gone from all American food except the Italian. Everything tasted the same - a sort of neutral food taste. When had a fresh chicken - not a broiler - a fresh farm egg, a fish caught that day, last been served in a New York restaurant? Was there a market in New York, like les Halles in Paris and Smithfields in London, where one could actually see fresh food and buy it? Bond had never heard of one. People would say that it was unhygienic.
    qjWZ.BDlwyQyId7LbrzpfQ.jpgcrown-royal-canadian-whisky-gb-40-07.jpg

Why do people NEED to know everything that’s happening behind the scenes? How about going back to the good old days where you just waited until the movie came out in theaters and that’s when you went and saw it with a completely open mind, not knowing any details about it? What a novel idea, eh? Why must some people act like spoiled children? Tell us! Tell us! Tell us! Mwaaaaa!!! Tell us!! Mwaaaaaa!!!!! Don’t people have other things going on in their lives that can keep them occupied until the film hits theaters? I personally don’t even have time to think about all these Bond developments. Plus I really like going into a movie knowing as little as possible. I would prefer if producers didn’t tell fans a single thing about the movie. It just spoils so much. Even trailers show way too much! Just give me the name of the movie and tell me it’s a Bond film and that’s all I need to know.

For me I love the slow reveal hell Eon can release one letter of the title each week between now and March and I would love the anticipation and discussion of what could be the title

But that is me
    If this film is anything other than a classic Babs and MGW need to hand over to fresh blood.
    It's Thursday who thinks baz will have a story for us tonight?
    It's Thursday who thinks baz will have a story for us tonight?

Doubtful.
    Till Craig is done with Knives Out, I don't think we'll be getting permanent/convincing rumours/news anytime soon. I think he'll be done with it in December.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I think people should relax. We're living in an age of perpetual stress it seems. We need to hear something soon. OMG, we haven't heard anything yet; something must be wrong.

The news will come when it comes.
    I’m not expecting anything beyond rumors really until January/February. I think Danny Boyle’s abrupt exit in particular has put many on edge, and understandably so. We’ve waited a long time for this movie, and it’s been a bumpy ride just to reach production. My hope is that we just get to next year quickly and then the news will start coming at a reasonable pace.
    Truth be told, I'm not worried in the slightest. Like Dimi said, when it comes it comes.
    I just have visions of some inevitable dilemma striking again, hence my impatience. I want nothing more than another Craig-Bond movie, so the sooner they get to production the better. Until then, I’m on pins & needles.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    [img][/img]
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    I just have visions of some inevitable dilemma striking again, hence my impatience. I want nothing more than another Craig-Bond movie, so the sooner they get to production the better. Until then, I’m on pins & needles.

I assume it was you who asked Baz if he is dropping Bond25 news soon. Did he ever respond?
    Somebody asked baz and he responded last week saying he had to get to work alluding to a B25 scoop that's why there's a good chance we might get something tonight.
  • FoxRox wrote: »
    I’m not expecting anything beyond rumors really until January/February. I think Danny Boyle’s abrupt exit in particular has put many on edge, and understandably so.

. . . and the Sony leaks.
    And the state of the script.
    And striking the sets.
    And the way SP was handled.
    And the busy schedules of the principals.
    And the growing lag between films.
    And etc etc etc . . .

I'm not an entitled fan who demands my cake and eat it, now; it's rather that I'm simply wary given EON's recent track record, and the track record of B25 in particular. The odd morsel saying that things are on track would be comforting, similarly (and I keep saying this) some old-fashioned salesmanship from EON telling us they're toiling hard on a great movie that they can't wait to share with us.

Secondly, there's the concern that as timelines push out, the margin for error decreases; if Craig happens to break his leg or some such, it would surely see the release get sent way back.