No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I hope Spielberg doesn't get the gig personally, as his recent films lack the freshness and energy as the films he helmed in his prime. "Ready Player One" looks like nothing short of an abomination.
  • RC7 wrote: »
    Wright is great at what he does. He isn't a Bond director.

I agree with this. And IMO Wright has never reached the same height he did with Shaun of the Dead back at the beginning of his film career.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I think the Spielberg boat sailed years ago, I much more appreciate the young hungry director with something to prove rather than the revered Hollywood royalty one that makes films that tend to leave me cold.

If Cubby had picked him up after Jaws or before Raiders yes but I think KOTCS proves he might have been the best blockbuster film maker of all time but he's clearly not now.

The crown is definitely up for grabs.

I'm not sure why we are quoting directors that have no connection with the short list, Soderbergh sounded interesting and only because of LL is he connected but I'm thinking Yann is the man.

Yeah Fincher would be amazing but I very much doubt it.

Unless Dune gets put on ice I don't see Villenueve, Mackenzie is busy, Demange has nothing on his plate he seems the more likely than the other two.

As much as I love Edgar I must agree to distinctive to do Bond.

Ben Wheatley would be interesting, I went to a screening of Free Fire with a directors Q&A with him and Sam Riley and someone asked him about taking on a franchise film like Marvel or DC and he certainly didn't seem to rule it out.

He likes genre films and for me is one of the most exciting directors out there, he's got a creature feature in production and an all female remake of Wages of Fear in the works, could he tackle Bond somewhere down the line, he's directed Doctor Who?
  • RC7RC7
    Shardlake wrote: »
    I think the Spielberg boat sailed years ago, I much more appreciate the young hungry director with something to prove rather than the revered Hollywood royalty one that makes films that tend to leave me cold.

If Cubby had picked him up after Jaws or before Raiders yes but I think KOTCS proves he might have been the best blockbuster film maker of all time but he's clearly not now.

I'm not sure why we are quoting directors that have no connection with the short list, Soderbergh sounded interesting and only because of LL is he connected but I'm thinking Yann is the man.

Unless Dune gets put on ice I don't see Villenueve, Mackenzie is busy, Demange has nothing on his plate he seems the more likely than the other two.

Ben Wheatley would be interesting, I went to a screening of Free Fire with a directors Q&A with him and Sam Riley and someone asked him about taking on a franchise film like Marvel or DC and he certainly didn't seem to rule it out.

He likes genre films and for me is one of the most exciting directors out there, he's got a creature feature in production and an all female remake of Wages of Fear in the works, could he tackle Bond somewhere down the line, he's directed Doctor Who?

Wheatley could do Bond for my money. He's versatile. I was keen on Demange pre-SP and I'm glad he's in the mix too.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Shardlake wrote: »

It;s just an exercise in looking at DC's previous directors and who would likely get a shot, from that list.

So far, there is no official "short list." I have a hard time seeing Yann Demange getting this. Nothing against him, but if DC is going to go out on a high note, and if he has some influence, I would think the director would be someone who has experience helming a big project. Demenge doesn't...yet.

Of the three that have been rumored, only Villeneuve has the bona fides to do this.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I think Demange and MacKenzie may have been under consideration when a recast was in the cards. Now that it's Craig, I agree that it will likely be someone who knows what he's doing, and who he is comfortable with. No need to look too far to find an obvious candidate hiding in the shadows and in plain sight imho.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'd love Soderbergh to get back into more film work after the great reviews for 'Logan Lucky' and do a Bond installment.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 11,119
    RC7 wrote: »
    If there's one thing I'm sad to see post-SP is that it appears to me quite a few fans who were pretty happy with CR thru SF have let their dislike/hatred of SP cast a cloud over the previous entries (I'm aware that's not everyone).

Despite some negativity around SF (I have my issues) on the whole there was a positive energy around Bond in 2012. SP seems to have killed that somewhat within this particular fan community.

I totally understand that for some people it's bad, and others beyond bad, but it seems the groundswell of negativity has brought about a retrospective downgrading of Craig and the work he's done. I've always thought he brought something unique to the series and am of the mind he should be remembered for the majority of excellent work he delivered, rather than the missteps, as with every actor.

I'm hoping that if it's this easy for some to do a near 180 on him after one film the same could be true of B25. I remain optimistic that they'll deliver a significantly better film in 2019 and hopefully those with an open mind can allow themselves a little optimism too.

I said it before @RC7, the current (younger) Bond fan community starts to behave like a bunch of angry Trekkies sometimes; as if they are all a bunch of Bond directors knowing everything better than the people helming a Bond film. There's nothing wrong with being critical. And I'm not saying that this goes for every fan. But criticism can go hand in hand with a positive vibe.

Here's a nice video btw I like:
    Soderbergh is an interesting one. He can do laid-back, cool and quirky all at once, which I think would be a wonderful way for Craig to finish.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @getcarter, did you see LL? If it wasn't for a stellar cast making magic with a sketchy script, I probably would have walked out. It committed the greatest of sins in the entertainment industry: it failed to entertain.

(it was shot wonderfully, the music was tops, the cast, remarkable (DC had a nice crazy glint in his eyes, even when he was laughing), but, as I said before, for a breezy-heist-comedy, it was a two hour plus slog to get through)...
    edited August 2017 Posts: 1,575
    SF was pretty dark in colour as is SP. SP also has this yellow glow on a lot of scenes. Just imagine how much colour the Mexico scenes could have brought to the screen. [/quote]

Thank God for the Lumetri panel in Adobe Premiere ;-)

Let's see it!

Just uploaded. They went overboard with the colorgrading. Example from my own version and personal preference (comments appreciated):

[/quote]

Yes i agree again (it's been said many times before) how they stuffed up the colour in Skyfall and Spectre.
    Even QOS has the same nasty effects.

Bond films have to be bright and colourful as they have been in the past.

Some people on this forum have more clues as to how to make a bond film Better than Forster and Mendes.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    peter wrote: »
    @getcarter, did you see LL? If it wasn't for a stellar cast making magic with a sketchy script, I probably would have walked out. It committed the greatest of sins in the entertainment industry: it failed to entertain.

(it was shot wonderfully, the music was tops, the cast, remarkable (DC had a nice crazy glint in his eyes, even when he was laughing), but, as I said before, for a breezy-heist-comedy, it was a two hour plus slog to get through)...

Perfectly said
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 386

Haven't seen his latest yet, Peter, though that does sound disappointing.

I'm a fan of The Limey and the Oceans films though.

SS directs with a nice vibe and has a great eye for human quirks, I think he could at the very least give us a memorable gallery of villains like the classic Bond films used to do.

• RC7RC7
    edited August 2017 Posts: 10,512
    001 wrote: »
    SF was pretty dark in colour as is SP. SP also has this yellow glow on a lot of scenes. Just imagine how much colour the Mexico scenes could have brought to the screen.

Let's see it!

Just uploaded. They went overboard with the colorgrading. Example from my own version and personal preference (comments appreciated):

Yes i agree again (it's been said many times before) how they stuffed up the colour in Skyfall and Spectre.

Some people on this forum have more clues as to how to make a bond film Better than Forster and Mendes.
    [/quote]

Yeah, Roger Deakins doesn't have a clue. Can someone just throw me a bone here and end it. Cattle gun to my cranium. Thanks.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    jake24 wrote: »
    I hope Spielberg doesn't get the gig personally, as his recent films lack the freshness and energy as the films he helmed in his prime. "Ready Player One" looks like nothing short of an abomination.

Indy 5 release date was postponed from 2019 to 2020 because of Spielberg's overbooked schedule, how could he ever direct a Bond movie over the course of 6 months in 2019?
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    The director short list was not a tabloid rumor.

They were never recasting Bond.

Yes Craig will have large say on the pick, but he obviously he had say on the list of choices so I wouldn't discount any of them from his perspective.

Demange and MacKenzie are grounded and gritty and a good counterpoint to P&W though we know other writers will be brought in.. Villeneuve is set to direct Dune, but perhaps that's why 2018 is out of the picture for Bond? I know that would be surprise and unlikely to jump into Bond after Dune, but some directors like to work...the fact that he's on a short list means either EON really want him even if a remote possibility or he's really entertaining the idea and they're talking.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @DrNo , my feelings for, and why, these directors have been chosen, intuitively align with your reasoning.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    GetCarter wrote: »

SS directs with a nice vibe and has a great eye for human quirks, I think he could at the very least give us a memorable gallery of villains like the classic Bond films used to do.

@GetCarter, I too love THE LIMEY and, at least the first OCEAN's, and OUT OF SIGHT... and more...

In LL, I was shocked by the laziness in storytelling. It was all over the map, coincidental in planning and execution, and the pacing was clunky at best.

The ensemble held everything together, and DC WAS dynamite, as was Adam Driver.

But the visionary failed. I'm not sure if he wanted a character piece? A family drama? A comedy? A heist (which was pretty convoluted)? It was all of these things, and none of it, at the same time.

@GetCarter, I too love THE LIMEY and, at least the first OCEAN's, and OUT OF SIGHT... and more...

In LL, I was shocked by the laziness in storytelling. It was all over the map, coincidental in planning and execution, and the pacing was clunky at best.

But the visionary failed. I'm not sure if he wanted a character piece? A family drama? A comedy? A heist (which was pretty convoluted)? It was all of these things, and none of it, at the same time.

Glad to know im not the only one disappointed with this film ( 93% rotten tomatoes) but I really wanted to like this one. It just never picked up
    RC7 wrote: »
    001 wrote: »
    SF was pretty dark in colour as is SP. SP also has this yellow glow on a lot of scenes. Just imagine how much colour the Mexico scenes could have brought to the screen.

Let's see it!

Yeah, Roger Deakins doesn't have a clue. Can someone just throw me a bone here and end it. Cattle gun to my cranium. Thanks. [/quote]

Some people on this forum have more clues as to how to make a bond film Better than Roger Deakins as well.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @JamesBondKenya, RT is a bunch of critics that want the best of SS to bounce back. There's an agenda to some film reviews.

And like you, I thought we would get more. Like you I did expect more. But, outside of great acting (welcome back Mr Craig), the film failed on all levels of storytelling.

Shrug and no worries, right, JamesBondKenya. Perhaps the reviewers somehow know more than us, the paying customer?...

I say that facetiously.

Once again, I admire your curiosity; and you're not alone: my sixteen year old son came with me to LL (and he has some intuitively good taste in films), and he HATED the film, loved the actors... (gives me faith that he will forgive SP and love Bond again!!)
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    When does the director get decided for bond 25? Or what's next on the bond 25 checklist we got release date check bond actor check now what's next?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    When does the director get decided for bond 25? Or what's next on the bond 25 checklist we got release date check bond actor check now what's next?

A director may already be decided on. When we'll find out is another matter.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Walecs wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »

Indy 5 release date was postponed from 2019 to 2020 because of Spielberg's overbooked schedule, how could he ever direct a Bond movie over the course of 6 months in 2019?
    I wasn't referring specifically to B25, but in general.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

Glad to know im not the only one disappointed with this film ( 93% rotten tomatoes) but I really wanted to like this one. It just never picked up

I did like it. It was not a great film, but it was breezy and entertaining (which was the point).

In the wake of Charlottesville, I think Bleecker Street and SS made a mistake by keeping to the August 18th release. The mood of the country is not good, certainly not in terms of having a good time at the expense of (or because of) the south. Elites don't want to see a "good ol' boy" movie and Southerners have to be thinking that this is Hollywood trafficking in southern stereotypes. It was a lose-lose all the way around.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    TripAces wrote: »

I did like it. It was not a great film, but it was breezy and entertaining (which was the point).

In the wake of Charlottesville, I think Bleecker Street and SS made a mistake by keeping to the August 18th release. The mood of the country is not good, certainly not in terms of having a good time at the expense of (or because of) the south. Elites don't want to see a "good ol' boy" movie and Southerners have to be thinking that this is Hollywood trafficking in southern stereotypes. It was a lose-lose all the way around.

Your thoughts mirrored my own. It was a movie about rednecks that wasn't aimed at rednecks, so I think it might be having trouble finding its audience. I thought it was alright, but not as good as advertised. Craig was the highlight for me and i am really beginning to appreciate Adam Driver as well. Bad timing with recent events surely didn't help, as you said.
    Though Charlottesville was like last week its not like they could have delayed it
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    007Blofeld wrote: »

A director may already be decided on. When we'll find out is another matter.

Ok
    They have a director, it'll be mcguinan, Nolan , or Mendes. I wouldn't rule out Mendes just yet, when he initially turned down spectre, babs said she would get him back for another one in the future.
    Zekidk wrote: »
    It looks excellent, I love it! Also, I would love to see the whole scene colorcorrected without cutting back and forth betweeen the two version. Do you have that? If so, can you please upload it when you have time?

Sure, I can do that. I can also include other examples from both SF and SP. The only two Bond movies I felt like colorcorrecting.