No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Getafix wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    The casting and scoring @bondjames will definitely help in my hopes too. Actually, posters and the title song may help too. When I first saw that CR teaser poster it immediately gave me some hope they were headed in right direction. Conversely, with SP the opposite feeling with the generic marketing Dept posters and then the release of the Writings on the Wall...
    Excellent point about the posters and the title song. Same here. It all goes together and has an impact. For example, nothing did more to deflate my opinion of SP before I saw it than Smith's effort (except perhaps for Craig's infamous Timeout remarks which preceded the film). I too felt something was off in the marketing materials prior to release. The trailers seemed off too. It's just a feeling one gets, although it's in the eye of the beholder, so I can appreciate that what didn't work for me could have had an opposite effect on someone else.

True. I thought the SP trailer was the best in years suggesting the film was going to be a classic.
    The first one or both? I remember a lot of positive buzz here after the first trailer dropped because of the OHMSS callbacks and so on.

I recall less and less enthusiasm as more marketing came out, including the 2nd trailer.
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 11,425
    I cant remember now. I seem to remember quite liking both.

But maybe I am just thinking of the Dalton SP one... ;)
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited December 2018 Posts: 5,869
    I just really hope the film looks visually stunning and grand. One of the problems for me with SP is that the cinematography, while I love Hoytema's work on other projects, just fell flat. It effects the film. The same happened with QoS. I don't think it suited the film and made a film that had such a wide scope feel tight and dark, with weird shine effects throughout, especially in Blofeld's lair.

Now while somewhat confident, with Linus Sandgren being such an inspired choice, some of his work points to the same kind of look that SP had, but I think that Sandgren will definitely understand the Bondian essence that the films need.
    Boyle looked good on paper, but when they got to work Babs and more likely Craig didnt gel at all with Boyle and his original idea was probably watered down.

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Either the original idea was watered down , or all of the additional elements he wanted to introduce were unacceptable, no matter how good his original hook was.
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 3,333
    My guess is that Boyle will wait until after B25 has been released and done its rounds before giving us any clue as to what was kept in the final script and what his vision was going to be. Clearly, Boyle and Hodge cannot comment on their script as the movie is still being prepped and in pre-production. Also, Eon might have been happy with the concept and maybe its early development, but not the overall final execution or its tone. It's one thing to have a "golden idea", but it's another thing entirely to deliver on that promise with all the nuts and bolts of the story visible on the page. Again, there's nothing to say that this "golden idea" hasn't been preserved and incorporated into the new script.

For example: Simon West's Con Air wasn't originally written as a high-octane action flick, but as a drama-thriller more akin to Things To Do In Denver When You're Dead. Jerry Bruckheimer liked the "idea" but he didn't want it to be a small character-driven piece. The major difference here was that Scott Rosenberg rewrote his script entirely to suit Bruckheimer's vision, rather than walkaway and give it to someone else. Now, I'm sure that there are those of you that will say that you'd rather have seen a "small character-driven piece" rather than the "high-octane action flick" that Bruckheimer delivered on. Truth is, you'd have been in the minority back in 1997 and the B.O. would've reflected that. One only has to look at Rosenberg's script for Things to Do in Denver When You're Dead to see the B.O. results. A very good script, yes, but audiences stayed away in their droves. For obvious reasons, Bond can't afford to disconnect from its audience just to please a small minority that don't want to go-see an action movie.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    Not that I would care, but I'd guess that we'll get some version of the truth from Boyle or the producers around mid 2020, after the release of the film. Although it will still be a diluted answer and not necessarily the real reason. Fast forward maybe twenty years and then we'll actually find out what really went down.
  • TuxedoTuxedo Europe
    Still so much buzz about Boyle. I don't get it. He's out. Simple as that.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I just really hope the film looks visually stunning and grand. One of the problems for me with SP is that the cinematography, while I love Hoytema's work on other projects, just fell flat. It effects the film. The same happened with QoS. I don't think it suited the film and made a film that had such a wide scope feel tight and dark, with weird shine effects throughout, especially in Blofeld's lair.

Now while somewhat confident, with Linus Sandgren being such an inspired choice, some of his work points to the same kind of look that SP had, but I think that Sandgren will definitely understand the Bondian essence that the films need.

Watching a couple of Bond films over Christmas I've noticed how high res digital tvs really ruin the cinematic experience. The detail is totally distracting and you're constantly reminded when a scene is shot on a set. CR and QOS both looked awful.
    Tuxedo wrote: »
    Very much agreed. But some folk here like to continually bring it up because they have nothing much else going on in their lives.
    Watching a couple of Bond films over Christmas I've noticed how high res digital tvs really ruin the cinematic experience. The detail is totally distracting and you're constantly reminded when a scene is shot on a set. CR and QOS both looked awful.
    I haven't seen any of these movies in HD or 4K. What would you say is the best example of HD giving a Bond movie a new lease of life? Or, would you say they all take away some of the magic?
    No, it's not that simple. We do not know whether his movie gold idea is out or not.
    edited December 2018 Posts: 23,883
    No, it's not that simple. We do not know whether his movie gold idea is out or not.
    It could have just been marketing hype fed out via Baz. They needed a distribution deal at that point.

EDIT: I mean whether there was actually a 'golden idea' or not.
    bondsum wrote: »
    Very much agreed. But some folk here like to continually bring it up because they have nothing much else going on in their lives.
    I haven't seen any of these movies in HD or 4K. What would you say is the best example of HD giving a Bond movie a new lease of life? Or, would you say they all take away some of the magic?

I haven't looked into it systematically but i would say HD is the enemy of an enjoyable filmic experience at home. The detail totally removes you from the experience. Utterly distracting and cheap looking.

I haven't looked into it systematically but i would say HD is the enemy of an enjoyable filmic experience at home. The detail totally removes you from the experience. Utterly distracting and cheap looking.
    I'm not sure I agree with this. I'm loving the old Bond films upscaled via my 4K tv. Even newer films like SF look absolutely superb in this format. The details are what make the experience for me.

Where it fails for me is with CGI, because if it's done poorly (as it has been done in the Bond films from QoS onwards) then it's all the more obvious.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

Exactly. Once KJF's Bond 25 comes out and presuming it turns out great, nobody's going to really give a toss about whatever Boyle may or may not have done.
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 17,272
    doubleoego wrote: »

Exactly. Once KJF's Bond 25 comes out and presuming it turns out great, nobody's going to really give a toss about whatever Boyle may or may not have done.

The Boyle idea will most likely just become one of those "what ifs" of the Bond series. An interesting part of the Bond 25 production maybe, but nothing more. I do however really, really want to know what the idea was.
    edited December 2018 Posts: 23,883
    doubleoego wrote: »

That's the key point. It had better be great, or else all kinds of second guessing and recriminations will follow given all the options that were available to them over this long wait. As long as it is considered great as far as most critics are concerned, Boyle will be forgotten. Otherwise, watch out.
    Theo were so many "ideias" along the way. So many we don't know. I bet Spielberg had an "idea" at some point. And who cares by now? It probably involved multiple scenes with a young Bond mourning his parents, some others with them still alive and fighting because the parent was absent. And then Bond finding a new family at MI6, with M as his new father.
    Univex wrote: »
    Theo were so many "ideias" along the way. So many we don't know. I bet Spielberg had an "idea" at some point. And who cares by now? It probably involved multiple scenes with a young Bond mourning his parents, some others with them still alive and fighting because the parent was absent. And then Bond finding a new family at MI6, with M as his new father.

That sounds like something Mendes could have come up with.
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 3,164

I've heard things here and there regarding this and... while I can't really say much at the moment, what they currently have planned for this film cinematography-wise definitely fits that bolded descriptor. Rest assured, don't think we'll be seeing Linus opting for First Man's vérité look for this film.

Well, he was Spielberg's protege at some point in his career - hint: it was at the beginning ;)
    antovolk wrote: »

I've heard things here and there regarding this and... while I can't really say much at the moment, what they currently have planned for this film cinematography-wise definitely fits that bolded descriptor. Rest assured, don't think we'll be seeing Linus opting for First Man's vérité look for this film.

Really, @antovolk? Serious comments here and there? Wow, there's hope right there. Thanks, old pal. Made my day, this entry of yours. Cheers. Here's hoping for some La La land colouring and camera techniques!

I'm not sure I agree with this. I'm loving the old Bond films upscaled via my 4K tv. Even newer films like SF look absolutely superb in this format. The details are what make the experience for me.

Where it fails for me is with CGI, because if it's done poorly (as it has been done in the Bond films from QoS onwards) then it's all the more obvious.

Same. Upgraded to the Blu-ray set and watching the older films in such clarity has been amazing. Moonraker, I was thrilled they took the time to get all the labels on the instrument panels right.
    MooreFun wrote: »

Same. Upgraded to the Blu-ray set and watching the older films in such clarity has been amazing. Moonraker, I was thrilled they took the time to get all the labels on the instrument panels right.

Beware Motion Smoothing.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/tom-cruise-fights-the-soap-opera-effect-for-mission-impossible-fallout-blu-ray/
    Given that I was watching it on a 2008 60hz TV, there was no motion smoothing involved. ;)
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom

Goodness, do yourself a favour and watch the Connery/Moore's and OHMSS in HD!
    MooreFun wrote: »
    Given that I was watching it on a 2008 60hz TV, there was no motion smoothing involved. ;)

Good point :D

Well, he was Spielberg's protege at some point in his career - hint: it was at the beginning ;)

Did not know that!

Did not know that!

I think Spielberg invited him to direct American Beauty. And the rest, as they say, is History.
    antovolk wrote: »

Ooh. Colour me intrigued! ;)