No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

Hopefully they give us a Christmas present and reveal something juicy.

Don't count on it. The news that Dan is preparing is enough for them.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    talos7 wrote: »
    Trollin with Nolan ;)

This tickled me I can't lie
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 9,770
    If the Feb release date is successful, will that become a new home for Bond movies in future, or will they return to Oct/Nov?
    The February release date is excellent for the smaller and probably weirder Bond 25, but there is no way Christopher Nolan's grand Bond 26 will be released in off-season.

Plus Tom Hardy as the new 007 Eon will likely want to capatalize on their new Star even though we all know their will be title controversy as Bond 26 is the Hildebrand Rarity

I say meet insanity with your own insanity
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    bondjames wrote: »
    Did anyone see the Norton interview? I did and I didn't see Whishaw mention Bond at all. Perhaps I missed something?

The show is usually about 50 minutes, and the mention of Bond could have happened at any point in the show. If you've seen a clip, it might not have featured.

(The episode haven't aired here yet.)
    It's possible I missed it if it was a brief mention, but I pretty much watched the whole thing. There were a lot of people on the couch and he didn't get too much airtime - when he did he spoke about his early years in acting.

Just finished watching the full episode, and definitely no mention of B25. It must have been cut for time.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I'd say even a mention of B25 with Ben Wishaw would have been, and should have been mentioned, unless Ben's people specifically asked Norton and his producers not to ask any questions about this film.

Has Ben himself said he'll be back? I read something that quoted he was, but something about it all was "weird". I assumed that this was a quote from the Norton show.

But now it's revealed nothing of 25 was mentioned.

Who told Baz that the entire gang was coming back. Cary, correct? But did he say these characters were all coming back, or he'd love to get them back? Because one of these statements is more definitive than the other.

And, playing devil's advocate here, the person most wanting to throw Baz, or any media off what he has in store, is the director. He did say he wants to continue the arc started in CR, and CR didn't have a MP, nor a Q. And if they want to strip 25 down and make it more gritty and rugged to book-end what was started in CR, then perhaps at least two out of three of Mendes creations won't be back after all?
    I think it’s safe to say they will all be back.

That being said I would prefer it if they were kept to a minimum as the best bond films were when Craig was on his own for the most part
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited December 2018 Posts: 5,978
    Risico007 wrote: »

That being said I would prefer it if they were kept to a minimum as the best bond films were when Craig was on his own for the most part

Agreed.

And the arc of the YOLT novel would suit this approach. M sends Bond off to Japan (or wherever) at the beginning, Moneypenny shows up mourning Bond's "death" at the very end (a la AVTAK?). Not sure there would be a place for Q in that story, although a scene with M definitively sidelining Q ("Bond's on his own") might be interesting.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    echo wrote: »
    Risico007 wrote: »

Agreed.

And the arc of the YOLT novel would suit this approach. M sends Bond off to Japan (or wherever) at the beginning, Moneypenny shows up mourning Bond's "death" at the very end (a la AVTAK?). Not sure there would be a place for Q in that story, although a scene with M definitively sidelining Q ("Bond's on his own") might be interesting.

I agree that it is likely that the gang is back, but I'd like to look at the actual articles from Baz and what words were used (Cary's a smart person, and if he said something like "of course I'd love to get them back, they're amazing actors, why wouldn't I want them", he could then backtrack and say later on, "I really would have loved to have them all back, but the story didn't require Q this time around"...).

Since EoN have played smoke and mirrors before, and playing "what if", for a moment: what if Cary's interview was to throw Baz off the trail? Isn't it odd there's one article where Whishaw thinks he's done with the role? Then another article saying he's back, but there's something "weird"? and; nothing is said on the GN Show (B25 in its current state is surely bigger than MPR in its finished state. You'd expect Norton to ask Wishaw something along the lines of "how is this role different than your other famous role?" and once Ben answers, a quick follow up "The new Bond film is gearing up. Will Q be back?", or something like that. The conflicting reports and silence on the Norton show is likely nothing, however, I find it at least tantalizing that it could also mean something-- at least to have fun with while real news trickles in, lol)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Did anyone see the Norton interview? I did and I didn't see Whishaw mention Bond at all. Perhaps I missed something?

The show is usually about 50 minutes, and the mention of Bond could have happened at any point in the show. If you've seen a clip, it might not have featured.

(The episode haven't aired here yet.)
    It's possible I missed it if it was a brief mention, but I pretty much watched the whole thing. There were a lot of people on the couch and he didn't get too much airtime - when he did he spoke about his early years in acting.

Just finished watching the full episode, and definitely no mention of B25. It must have been cut for time.
    Great, thanks. I'm glad to know I wasn't alone in not hearing any Bond mention.

Rather curious. I can't see why his involvement should be such a secret or so mysterious. I'm sure he has his fans but most of us aren't going to lose sleep if he (or the rest of his gang) is in it or not. So hopefully the reason for all this smoke and mirrors will be worth it in eventual payoff.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I just found this:

Asked about the possibility of returning to the famous spy franchise, he tells The Graham Norton Show: “I’m told so, but it is so secretive and weird that I can’t tell you.”

(https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/movies/ben-whishaw-says-he-will-be-back-in-the-next-bond-film-37645303.html). But as far an anyone who's watched the show, there was no mention of Bond-- which is odd when you have a Bond actor with you, and you avoid even one question about that actor's largest role to date.

And this:

"I'm not even sure if I'll be in it. I'm assuming that I'm not going to be so it will be a nice surprise if they put me in. I think it's right (Fukanaga) and Daniel needs to just figure it out. I've done two; I've had a good run," the actor said.

which is a quote taken from a Vanity fair article and placed in several publications.

And from Esquire, in Cary's words:

"Lea will be returning," Fukunaga told the Daily Mail. "You have some of the best actors in the world here. Why wouldn't I have the best coming back?"

Definitive on Lea, for sure. Then the article continues on the assumption that the entire gang will be back.

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    peter wrote: »
    I just found this:

Asked about the possibility of returning to the famous spy franchise, he tells The Graham Norton Show: “I’m told so, but it is so secretive and weird that I can’t tell you.”

(https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/movies/ben-whishaw-says-he-will-be-back-in-the-next-bond-film-37645303.html). But as far an anyone who's watched the show, there was no mention of Bond-- which is odd when you have a Bond actor with you, and you avoid even one question about that actor's largest role to date.

And this:

"I'm not even sure if I'll be in it. I'm assuming that I'm not going to be so it will be a nice surprise if they put me in. I think it's right (Fukanaga) and Daniel needs to just figure it out. I've done two; I've had a good run," the actor said.

which is a quote taken from a Vanity fair article and placed in several publications.

And from Esquire, in Cary's words:

"Lea will be returning," Fukunaga told the Daily Mail. "You have some of the best actors in the world here. Why wouldn't I have the best coming back?"

Definitive on Lea, for sure. Then the article continues on the assumption that the entire gang will be back.
    From Bamigboye:

Fukunaga told me exclusively that 'Lea will be returning'; as will regulars Ralph Fiennes, Ben Whishaw and Naomie Harris.

The director praised the Bond Brit pack — and British thespians in general — noting that he has worked with many on past projects, including Beasts Of No Nation and Jane Eyre.

'You have some of the best actors in the world here,' he said. 'Why wouldn't I have the best coming back?!'
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Thanks @jake24 ... I'm playing devil's advocate, and, as I posed earlier: EoN is known for smoke and mirrors, and Cary would probably lead this charge. He's quite definitive on Lea and his words are snuggled in quotation marks. The return of the others, not so. Although he does mention the others, in quotes, posing the question/exclamation, "Why wouldn't I have the best coming back?!"

After the denials of Q and MP and Blofeld in the past, I want to read these "quotes" from anyone associated with this new film, and look at the the words they use and how they use them. My investigative prowess is, admittedly, quite weak, and I also believe they could all be back, but also realize, one or two may not make it after all (even though we all want "the best coming back").

It was just a random Instagram post folks. I just asked the followers if they would like to see Bond driving the DB11 in Bond 25. No big deal.

Yes, they'll probably use this:
    2019-Aston-Martin-DBS-Superleggera-Satin-Xenon-Grey-86.jpg
    It's a nice car, but all this Aston wankery in the Bond films is becoming a bit too Fast Furious imho. I realize that they help to pay the increasing bills, but I'd like just one film this century that doesn't feature them. Or if it must, in order to facilitate their brand marketing post-IPO, then I hope it's not a car, but rather a boat or something.
    It's a nice car, but all this Aston wankery in the Bond films is becoming a bit too Fast Furious imho. I realize that they help to pay the increasing bills, but I'd like just one film this century that doesn't feature them. Or if it must, in order to facilitate their brand marketing post-IPO, then I hope it's not a car, but rather a boat or something.

Yes, or they could go the TND route and use just in a quick scenes where Bond arrives at work or something. Just for the sake of product placement (can't believe I just said that!)
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I'd be quite happy with no Aston at all for once but I've a feeling they'll be one there but it would be nice if they could make one DC film without one in it and if there is a car in it, it's one Bond steals or it's his but nothing that puts too much spotlight on it being there.

Just a car there for a purpose but not a star in it's own right like the Aston has become.
    Univex wrote: »

Yes, or they could go the TND route and use just in a quick scenes where Bond arrives at work or something. Just for the sake of product placement (can't believe I just said that!)
    The TND thing worked fine. That level of exposure would be ok for me. Nothing more I hope. The same goes for Omega, especially after the overexposure last time out. Just one film please. If they need lessons, they should go and study the Roger Moore films, which varied it up.

The TND thing worked fine. That level of exposure would be ok for me. Nothing more I hope. The same goes for Omega, especially after the overexposure last time out. Just one film please. If they need lessons, they should go and study the Roger Moore films, which varied it up.

The PO 42mm had a similar appearance in QOS, very functional (when Bond opens the door in the hotel), a quick shot and that was that, no more Omega standouts. Same could work for AM and other product placements.

The PO 42mm had a similar appearance in QOS, very functional (when Bond opens the door in the hotel), a quick shot and that was that, no more Omega standouts. Same could work for AM and other product placements.
    I agree. That worked fine. Give them their time in the sun, but make it brief. Subtlety is something they need to relearn.

I agree. That worked fine. Give them their time in the sun, but make it brief. Subtlety is something they need to relearn.

Even subliminar works well ;)
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    edited December 2018 Posts: 1,755
    It was just a random Instagram post folks. I just asked the followers if they would like to see Bond driving the DB11 in Bond 25. No big deal.

YES PLEASE! Gorgeous car.

I'm a big believer in that, although the advertisers may take issue. Just give them a passing billboard or something like they gave BA in MR. In SP I would have given Omega a big building banner while Bond is flying the copter out of Mexico and told them to shove it.

I'm reminded of a classic Columbo episode on the topic of subliminal cuts.
    Hopefully they give us a Christmas present and reveal something juicy.
    If there is any decency left in them they will reveal something small as a Christmas present for us Bond fans. We deserve it after this tumultuous year.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    A Danny Boyle documentary. ;)
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 17,279

Am I the only one that thinks that car is ugly – at least in that black colour with the red details? Black hubcaps doesn't help either…

I'm a big believer in that, although the advertisers may take issue. Just give them a passing billboard or something like they gave BA in MR. In SP I would have given Omega a big building banner while Bond is flying the copter out of Mexico and told them to shove it.

I'm reminded of a classic Columbo episode on the topic of subliminal cuts.

That was a fantastic episode!
    Surely Christmas came early and twice this year. Not only do we know that Seydoux is back, but Scooby too.
    Surely Christmas came early and twice this year. Not only do we know that Seydoux is back, but Scooby too.

Scooby, Shaggy, Wilma and Fred.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    edited December 2018 Posts: 4,415

Ruh Roh

Am I the only one that thinks that car is ugly – at least in that black colour with the red details? Black hubcaps doesn't help either…

You're not the only one, @Torgeirtrap, it's actually dark grey, but still, I hate the detailing in other colours, being it red or yellow or any other. The black hubcaps aren't a bad thing, as they go way back to the times of racing Bentleys. But they don't look good every time and in every car. I actually prefer the DB11 or even the Vantage to that Superleggera bruit in a suit car. Let's just say I've got the same issues with it that I've got with Craig. I love it that it's an Aston Martin, but it's just too bruit of a car, not enough finesse. Still, it's an Aston.

Know that sensation you just got presents but they're not exactly to your taste? ;)