No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    Jolie might be their way of snagging a Billion gross
    Or might be there way of pissing off fans
    Angeline Jolie is a tremendously talented actress. The Bond franchise would be very lucky to have her.

How show me one film where she was generally good outside of girl interrupted which I guess acting against Whoopi one would have to be decent
    Have you never seen Changeling?
    Jolie was superb in that film.

Anyone else find it a bit unexciting that Cashley is essentially running the rumour cycle for B25, and in the process managing to lower everyone's excitement for it?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    jake24 wrote: »
    Angeline Jolie is a tremendously talented actress. The Bond franchise would be very lucky to have her.

How show me one film where she was generally good outside of girl interrupted which I guess acting against Whoopi one would have to be decent

Anyone else find it a bit unexciting that Cashley is essentially running the rumour cycle for B25, and in the process managing to lower everyone's excitement for it?

Well the excitement is only lowered/heightened if you pay credence to the rumors. I'm in a wait and see attitude.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

Indeed she was. And I for one wouldn't mind seeing her as the main villain.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Well the excitement is only lowered/heightened if you pay credence to the rumors. I'm in a wait and see attitude.
    Exactly. I don't let these Reddit rumours get the better of me (though it's fun to speculate). Having said that, I must admit I still think there's the possibility of Strong, what with his trainer posting (then deleting) those comments.

Strictly taking into account what we know as fact, my excitement for this film is pretty high right now.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    QBranch wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Exactly. I don't let these Reddit rumours get the better of me (though it's fun to speculate). Having said that, I must admit I still think there's the possibility of Strong, what with his trainer posting (then deleting) those comments.

Strictly taking into account what we know as fact, my excitement for this film is pretty high right now.
    Exactly. The surefire talent involved definitely has me excited. I do look forward to some credible rumours though, and I'm surprised Cashley has been our number 1 source for those thus far.

This time four years ago, we began hearing about a possible car chase in Rome and a handful of Scandinavian actresses who screentested for a possible B24 role.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    As I’ve said, I find the presence of an actor who has a high profile distracting in a Bond film; the same goes for gimmicky cameos like Madonna.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    The last film with Jolie I saw was „The Tourist“ and she plus the whole film were ... meh.

I actually thought and think Denise Richards was a wonderful casting for the Brosnan era - enjoyed it because it was meant to be silly and worked well, imho.

Halle Berry ... well she was beautiful and the smalles problem of DAD by far.

I am not thrilled thinking about Jolie being in B25 ... but I was I was against Craig before CR and turned out becoming a huge fan of his tenure so ... maybe they‘ll surprise me again. On paper I would still see HBC as some sort of henchwoman, maybe Mark Strong as the main villain and Cumberbatch some sort of MI5 / MI6 colleague of Bond. Plus Felix Leiter being Bonds main support in the field.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited July 2018 Posts: 15,423
    Suppose these Cashley rumours are true...

I'm not worried about Jolie's involvement nor Bond having an understudy.

What I'm worried about is this #MeToo-themed feminist movie that would come off detracting the franchise and its legacy, Lord knows how many times they'll shove down our throats of Bond being a misogynist whatever. And then, there's this "depression angle". No, I don't want a Trance ripoff with Bond in McAvoy's place going through some psychological issues. We do see enough of that garbage in today's overcrowded set of films and other screen media.

What I'm also worried about is Bond becoming the side character while the story would focus on that understudy, just like Mad Max: Fury Road. I don't want that.
  • re: This part of Cashley's latest.

//Boyle was in LA recently finishing up his new film with some scenes there. He met with Universal top brass and they are said to be in the process of signing off on his casting decisions. //

IF true (major qualification), this suggests Universal must be supplying a decent chunk of the production budget. Sony got a say on the last two movies because it was supplying half of the production budget in addition to doing marketing and distribution.

Question: Wouldn't Boyle also meet with MGM brass?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

Put down the crack pipe already. She's a competent actress at best.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    =))
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Just a few personal thoughts-- shoot down at will:

Fleming dealt with Bond's mental health in CR (when he was recovering in hospital); he expressed his doubts about heroes and villains and how it's an ever-changing landscape; GF he drinks and meditates over his latest assignment and has much self-doubt; YOLT and TMWGG expressly deals with Bond's mental issues for two, very different reasons.

If Cashley has even the slightest insight into what's going on (and I do believe he does in the slightest way), this won't be some kitchen-sink drama from all DC-Bond's past failures and he's some morose git.

This is still a Bond film.

And a Danny Boyle film, where he's anything but morose and boring in his story-telling. He's the opposite: Alive. Frenetic. And always pushing boundaries in an exciting way.

IF Cashley has an inkling of connections (again, I believe this to be true-- He WON'T BE 100% CORRECT, but he may have strong marks for him rather than against), and 007 is "depressed", we hafta question: what broke Bond?

We've done Vesper and M-- they may be mentioned, but they won't be the catalyst.

What happened to DC Bond (either told in off-screen Flashbacks, or shown in the pre-title sequence)? Something finally broke this horse...

I personally think Boyle has something very exciting in store.
    peter wrote: »
    What happened to DC Bond (either told in off-screen Flashbacks, or shown in the pre-title sequence)? Something finally broke this horse...
    Brexit.
    :))
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited July 2018 Posts: 5,185

Indeed she was. And I for one wouldn't mind seeing her as the main villain.

Hell yes.
    Give me Jolie over virtually any other name mentioned on here the last couple weeks any day.

giphy.webp
    Heck you can take Jolie and keep her as long as she is not in bond 25 she can be in all of your bedrooms for all i care.
    Heck you can take Jolie and keep her as long as she is not in bond 25 she can be in all of your bedrooms for all i care.

Deal, and you get Helena Bonham Carter, how about that? ;)

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    They already have a director. But she could fit into future Bond Girl Fridays, I'll admit.
    They already have a director. But she could fit into future Bond Girl Fridays, I'll admit.

Thing is, She's the full package to me, not just gorgeous. People seem to forget she has an Oscar after all. But she also picked a lot of stinkers over her career no doubt. If she's in Bond 25 they just need to make sure its not another one of those. Challenge her, give her something new. She can do it.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited July 2018 Posts: 8,250
    It will be interesting to see if Jolie is cast in B25 (depending on how talks go-- a good chance).

She hasn't been performing in many films of late (outside of the Maleficent films). She's been focussed on UN work, and writing and directing.

IF she comes to B25 (IF)-- something big musta brought her here... Which means a great character in a solid film. She's not coming to give relevance to a pity-party-film-- she's well beyond her indie roots. She does not have to be in a film, if she cares not to be.

EDIT: that's star power.
    It will be interesting to see if Jolie is cast in B25 (depending on how talks go-- a good chance).

She hasn't been performing in many films of late (outside of the Maleficent films). She's been focussed on UN work, and writing and directing.

IF she comes to B25 (IF)-- something big musta brought her here... Which means a great character in a solid film. She's not coming to give relevance to a pity-party-film-- she's well beyond her indie roots. She does not have to be in a film, if she cares not to be.

EDIT: that's star power.

+1
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited July 2018 Posts: 3,157
    @00Agent And you seem to forget that we've established many times that Oscars mean absolutely nothing (e.g. John Barry never getting nominated).

The 4 years gap and current EON management.

"What, Blake Lively's spy film is more important than me? I need to drown my sorrow, where's my bourbon?"
    edited July 2018 Posts: 5,185
    Walecs wrote: »
    @00Agent And you seem to forget that we've established many times that Oscars mean absolutely nothing (e.g. John Barry never getting nominated).

I agree with you, Oscars seem pretty random most of the time. Not necesserily an indicator of quality or skills.

But then it was also established ages ago that Art is subjective and just because some members think that this or that actor is bad at whatever he/she does, doesn't make it an objective truth, just a Personal preference really.

There are many actors who are good at one thing and one thing only, but this one thing they can do better than anybody. Not everybody needs to have 'range'.
    Jolie has tons of presence and charisma and I think she is the perfect type for a glamorous and big Bond baddy.
    I've seen Jolie in some films over the years, and every time I've found her to be rather flat and without any presence at all. Cate Blanchett and some of the other names mentioned in this thread on the other hand…
    edited July 2018 Posts: 10,586
    I've seen Jolie in some films over the years, and every time I've found her to be rather flat and without any presence at all. Cate Blanchett and some of the other names mentioned in this thread on the other hand…
    Cate is a name that would get me truly excited for a female Bond villain. If they go that route, she would seem to be the best and obvious choice.

What's her schedule look like?
    Cate is a name that would get me truly excited for a female Bond villain. If they go that route, she would seem to be the best and obvious choice.

All of her upcoming films are listed as 'completed' on IMDb, with the exception of How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World, which is listed as 'filming'. That's a voice role.
    edited July 2018 Posts: 10,586

All of her upcoming films are listed as 'completed' on IMDb, with the exception of How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World, which is listed as 'filming'. That's a voice role.
    Interesting.

Another obvious candidate would be Tilda Swinton, who's currently filming The Dead Don't Die with Craig.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

Interesting.

Another obvious candidate would be Tilda Swinton, who's currently filming The Dead Don't Die with Craig.

I've wanted her in a Bond film for a good decade now, but I would GLADLY take Blanchett as a villain, too. She's fantastic.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer

Interesting.

We can't know for certain that Craig is part of that film. Murray casually mentioned it back in March and nothing has been elaborated since. More recently, some journalist said that he couldn't spot him on the set.

Interesting.

Tilda Swinton would be fantastic too. My preferred choice along with Blanchett for a female villain role. Speaking of, I've lost track of the most recent rumours. Is the female villain rumours all from the same source?
    I'm all for Jolie being in Bond 25

giphy-downsized-large.gif

In other news, Danny Boyle has been filming with Michael Kiwanuka at Latitude festival. Possible Bond 25 title artist? Surely, he is wrapping up on this film soon? We know from Neal Callow that full-time work on Bond 25 begins on Monday.

DiEIgraX0AArHU4.jpg

Someone joked on Twitter that Boyle looks less like a Hollywood director and more like someone's dad at a Jeremy Corbyn festival.