No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Balfe was great for Fallout, but I wouldn't want that sound for Bond.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 3,333
    jake24 wrote: »
    What do we think of Justin Hurwitz for the score?
    I really like it. It maybe a tad too repetitious for Barry to have composed, but I can definitely see the possibilities. Hurwitz would certainly be an improvement over Newman.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Take this for what it's worth via my agent about B25 shooting in Canada (as well as what my producer and set dresser friend also said last night):

Hey Peter
    Just all rumors for now
    I will let you know if I do hear anything about it….

Fingers crossed that this is indeed happening.

But I don't have my hopes up-- although we have fantastic cities; state of the art studios (including the second Pinewood here in Toronto), crews are world class, places like Toronto and Vancouver are huge service towns, and; it's a quick hop n skip back to NY for DC... Here endeth my pitch.

Realistically though, I do know that our studio spaces are booked out for months and months and months ahead of time... For a huge production like Bond to roll into any major city takes serious planning. So, perhaps, if this is real, they're in the planning stages of potentially shooting in Canada (just like in SF-- at one point I think the PTS was to shoot in India; because of expenses, it went to Istanbul)...

But no one hold their breath on this one (I sincerely hope I'm wrong).
    Thanks for the heads-up @peter ,old chum !!
    I have no issues with Bond in Canada?!!! Plenty of amazing places there for sure!!!!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads-up @peter ,old chum !!

no problem, sir! I will keep an ear to the ground until it's either debunked or verified!
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    Newman is like Holiday Inn wallpaper. It's everywhere and never changes. David Arnold, bring back the brass.
    =bg= wrote: »
    Newman is like Holiday Inn wallpaper. It's everywhere and never changes. David Arnold, bring back the brass.

Yes!!
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Yes!!
    Ditto!
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Yes!!
    Ditto!

Put me down for that as well!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Agreed...
    peter wrote: »
    Agreed...

Thirded.

(Fourthed?)

JUST BRING DAVID BACK! :)

...and thanks for keeping us in the loop, Peter! No doubt if it's happening, we'll start hearing something sooner rather than later.

• DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom
    http://www.darkhorizons.com/quick-news-see-terror-arkansas-knives-daredevil/

Quick news on Craig's next movie. Check out which female actor has joined the cast. She's my dream pick for Bond 25. Ana de Armas!!!!!
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 4,400
    Balfe was great for Fallout, but I wouldn't want that sound for Bond.

I reckon they should go to Thom Yorke. They already ditched him once, and his recent Suspiria score sounds terrific.

He'd be rather edgy and unique. Then Radiohead can do the theme.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited October 2018 Posts: 12,459
    I'd be happy with Canada even if only in the PTS. Let's hope Bond goes there, even if only for a little. Good point about studios being booked way in advance. Thanks, @peter for all your diligent checking of sources. I think on location outdoors shots could be done for sure. It is all tantalizing.

Script ... where oh where is it leading us now? I am not worried because we have Cary as director. He is a great storyteller and he'll surely have his hand in the story development. But it is quite a mystery now how much of P&W/Hodge script will remain, any key points, etc.

Music - I want David Arnold involved. But I am open to a new composer. Just not somebody who will give us a very "different" sound. The only thing that bothered me about Goldeneye was the music. That was it. I know Serra has some fans, but his work did not suit a Bond film in my opinion. Here's hoping Cary will be all for his composer getting the Bond theme in and the title song reworked into the film artistically. Unlike Newman, who had to be pushed by EON to even try that. We only got breadcrumbs from him, in my opinion (yes, I love Skyfall the film; there's my reference ... but the music was substandard in that one except the woefully underused theme song).
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

Is that why Newman keeps getting some of the best work, with the best directors, and Arnold hasn’t composed jack crap in 10 years?
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    http://www.darkhorizons.com/quick-news-see-terror-arkansas-knives-daredevil/

Quick news on Craig's next movie. Check out which female actor has joined the cast. She's my dream pick for Bond 25. Ana de Armas!!!!!

Mine too!!!!!!
    newman's scores are safe, snore-worthy and predictable. At least Arnold can crank up the brass. Listen to his TND work- Backseat Driver? Good grief that one is smokin'. And let's have a song like KD Langs, please. First time I heard that one I nearly passed out. The prototypical Bond theme sound..right there. And they switched titles around. Lang's huge "Tomorrow Never Dies" became "Surrender" and Crowe's bland "Until The Day" became "Tomorrow never Dies". Then they shoved KD to the back in favor of that vanilla Sheryl tune.
    TripAces wrote: »

Is that why Newman keeps getting some of the best work, with the best directors, and Arnold hasn’t composed jack crap in 10 years?

Anyone could do the same sound Newman does. Nothing distinctive. Safe, boring, a score-by-numbers. One less thing for the director to hassle with. Newman phones in some soothing, vaguely intense brooding score, case closed. It's time for Craig's movie to rock. God forbid we get another simpering Sam Smith wheepy ballad.
    Not sure how much (if anything) Newman had to do with Smith's song.

That tune will always bug me a bit. I've always thought it's a beautiful piece musically, just so conflicted -- fast/slow, low/high, light/heavy -- it never settles into a rhythm that lets you love it because it seems to not be sure what kind of Bond song it wants to be.

My feeling now is that with a simple continuing of the power ballad push through the entire chorus (no light touch/slowdown section) and a reduction in Smith's range to eliminate the ultra-falsetto bits, you'd have a classic Bond theme on your hands.

Makes me intrigued for what they deliver on Bond 25. I'd anticipate a return to something a bit more conventionally built, but I'm doubtful it will be entirely conventionally Bond -- could be something different, inventive, capturing the classic Bond/Barry/spy tone but with a very edgy and modern twist. Perhaps something more electronically driven, but in a good way that takes advantage of the emotional and rhytmic impacts the modern tools can really deliver.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited October 2018 Posts: 16,328
    I made both of these in less than five minute. Where's my oscars?

https://picosong.com/wVyaY/

https://picosong.com/wVyaL/

Whoops. Hey look something within the last 10 years. :))
    uyWElWn.png?1

Newman had nothing to do with the writing of Smith's song. But it was his job to incorporate the theme song into the film at appropriate times, in melodic ways, etc. Which he did not. The music in both SF and SP is a huge letdown.

Paging David Arnold or anybody with the right heart for a Bond film ...
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    You know it's a slow news week when we're back to the perennial default Arnold - Newman love - hate discussion on this thread.
  • boldfinger wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »
    What do we think of Justin Hurwitz for the score?

Wow, the first track in ages by a Composer mentioned in the context of Bond that is truly impressing! Judging by that track, he should get the gig Right away! I cannot say that of any other Composer in the recent decade. But one good track doesn´t yet make a good score. I may have to watch First Man. It should be worth it for the Music alone if the rest is as good.
    I have to admit that’s an excellent score. Haven’t seen the film. Very Barry-esque. Immediately puts me in a YOLT and MR mood. Isn’t it interesting that among the very best Barry scores 2 of them deal with space? Not to mention the non-Bond THE BLACK HOLE! No one could compose breathtaking and ear-melting space music like John Barry. Bless his heart. Sometimes I get choked up emotionally listening to his beautiful other-worldly space themes. I think it speaks volumes about the man’s talents. Makes you wonder where and how deep within himself he had to reach to extract such aural beauty.

edited October 2018 Posts: 12,459
    Well discussing composers is apt as we have no news. And my opinion has never varied on Arnold or Newman.

As for you, @Murdock - you will always have an Oscar in my eyes. Oscar caliber work consistently, young man!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    bondjames wrote: »
    You know it's a slow news week when we're back to the perennial default Arnold - Newman love - hate discussion on this thread.

It's always entertaining to see the same old nonsense from the anti-Arnold camp, though.

Anyway, I've listened to Hurwitz' score for FIRST MAN, and it's quite excellent.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2018 Posts: 23,883

It's always entertaining to see the same old nonsense from the anti-Arnold camp, though.
    And if I may say, similarly from the anti-Newman crew too.

I don't have a problem with the discussion. It's just that we always seem to default to this like clockwork when the news cycle is dry.
    Anyway, I've listened to Hurwitz' score for FIRST MAN, and it's quite excellent.
    I will try to watch the film either this weekend or sometime next week. The clip posted above is decent, but insufficient for me to formulate an opinion either way.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Murdock wrote: »
    I made both of these in less than five minute. Where's my oscars?

https://picosong.com/wVyaY/

https://picosong.com/wVyaL/

Whoops. Hey look something within the last 10 years. :))
    uyWElWn.png?1

And the 2012 Olympics!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

And if I may say, similarly from the anti-Newman crew too.

To be fair to the anti-Newman camp, I've never seen anything from them that wasn't a legitimate or understandable complaint about his approach and execution (even if I didn't always agree). Most of the anti-Arnold stuff I've seen has been incredibly lazy criticisms about his "lack of major outputs" in the last ten years or so, or about the man himself rather than his music.

I am not anti-Newman; I'm rather passive on him. He's done some good stuff, some fairly pedestrian stuff. But I've always found the Arnold criticisms equally as uninspired as the critics here claim him to be. I guess someone who is on a more middle ground will naturally find these criticisms to be a bit overblown though, so I digress.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    To be pro Newman for a minute. I've enjoy a lot of his Non Bond works. It's just his efforts for Skyfall and Spectre were major disappointments to me. I might be a bit overblown but it's mostly for the sake of humor.