No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

So... no news?
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 2,115
    Update, 2:30 pm New York time (approximately).

The fourth-quarter and year-end financial report is on MGM's website but the recording of the call is not yet.

Here's the release:
    http://s3.amazonaws.com/mgm-assets/assets/pdfs/investor-relations/YE 2017 Financial Report.pdf

I'm still skimming, but it does confirm that movies released under the MGM-Annapurna joint venture are for U.S. domestic only.

Top of page 7:
    //For films that are theatrically distributed in the U.S. under the MGM or Orion Pictures banner, we will
    utilize the services of other distributors to theatrically release our films outside of the U.S.//

So, assuming Bond 25 is released by the joint venture (under the MGM banner), it will still need an international distributor.

The release has a table of MGM movie productions, but it's only for 2018, not 2019.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited March 2018 Posts: 40,468
    So past the recording revealing anything, there's nothing we didn't already know. A shame, but expected.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    So past the recording revealing anything, there's nothing we didn't already know. A shame, but expected.

Right, unless there's something in the fine print, but I'm not seeing anything. I first did a search on the word "Bond" and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Most of this is financial boilerplate.
    I may be wrong but I believe that fourth quarter report has been up for a few weeks now?
    Orion Pictures? Didn't they go bankrupt in mid-nineties? Didn't know they still existed in any form...
    SharkBait wrote: »
    Orion Pictures? Didn't they go bankrupt in mid-nineties? Didn't know they still existed in any form...

MGM brought it back for TV in 2013, then relaunched it in 2014.
    Not surprising, but too bad. The wait goes on. November/December should hopefully see some bigger news.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Thanks @AlexanderWaverly. From what I understand about that Annapurna joint venture, it still doesn't necessarily mean that B25 will be distributed via that venture. It only exists for 'certain' (as opposed to 'all') MGM films. I'm assuming therefore that it's still feasible that B25 gets distributed locally and internationally by a different entity.

@Strog, the Q4 Y/E report for 2017 just got posted within the hour. That is the current report.

The only comment on B25 in the report is that it, along with other films, are in a stage of development, production or post-production.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 684
    bondjames wrote: »
    @Strog, the Q4 Y/E report for 2017 just got posted within the hour. That is the current report.
    Okay @bondjames! I was prowling around on the IR site a few weeks ago and thought for a moment it the end of year financial report had been posted then. That plus the filename and date properties made me doubt.

Perhaps there is some small hope yet remaining for B25 news on the conference call, assuming MGM opens up the lines to questions? Do they ever have transcripts created (Seeking Alpha or the like) or just recordings posted?
  • Strog wrote: »
    I may be wrong but I believe that fourth quarter report has been up for a few weeks now?

Not the report. They only had reports for the first three quarters on the website until a couple of hours ago.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 2,115
    SharkBait wrote: »

EDIT: Deleted this comment, someone had more precise dates.
    Strog wrote: »
    Perhaps there is some small hope yet remaining for B25 news on the conference call, assuming MGM opens up the lines to questions? Do they ever have transcripts created (Seeking Alpha or the like) or just recordings posted?
    I'm not sure because I haven't paid any attention to their calls previously. I don't think there will be transcripts if it's not directly posted on their website though (and it's not). I will see if they get mentioned on CNBC tonight. I'm sure there's heightened interest due to Barber's untimely exit.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    Thanks @AlexanderWaverly. From what I understand about that Annapurna joint venture, it still doesn't necessarily mean that B25 will be distributed via that venture. It only exists for 'certain' (as opposed to 'all') MGM films. I'm assuming therefore that it's still feasible that B25 gets distributed locally and internationally by a different entity.

The only comment on B25 in the report is that it, along with other films, are in a stage of development, production or post-production.

@bondjames: Correct. MGM has never formally announced the joint venture would release Bond 25 domestically. Deadline reported that was going to happen. But it's never been officially confirmed. Various outlets have published stories as if it were official, but it's not.

I'm not sure because I haven't paid any attention to their calls previously. I don't think there will be transcripts if it's not directly posted on their website though (and it's not). I will see if they get mentioned on CNBC tonight. I'm sure there's heightened interest due to Barber's untimely exit.

I have never seen a transcript posted on the website, just the recordings.
  • Tweet from a Wall Street Journal reporter.

• Recording of the investor call is now on the MGM website.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 684
    Recording of the investor call is now on the MGM website.
    Thanks for the alert.

Only two questions. First was about distribution of B25. They answered that they had no update.

EDIT:

Q: Was wondering, where do you guys stand on negotiations for distribution of Bond 25?
    A: Thanks, David. This is Chris. We don't have any formal update on this right now. We will be updating you when we have further progress in that regard.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    Recording of the investor call is now on the MGM website.
    Thanks for the alert.

Only two questions. First was about distribution of B25. They answered that they had no update.

EDIT:

Q: Was wondering, where do you guys stand on negotiations for distribution of Bond 25?
    A: Thanks, David. This is Chris. We don't have any formal update on this right now. We will be updating you when we have further progress in that regard.

Think mgm is beating around the bush about the distribution
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,883
    At around 4:15 on the call, Christopher Brearton, the COO (who just joined the company last month from a law firm BTW) said the following:

"The re-entry into the US theatrical distribution business under the MGM banner with an impressive film slate for 2018, and the return of James Bond in 2019"

At around 13:30 on the call, the CFO, Kenneth Kay, said the following:

"In addition we have a strong development pipeline for 2019, headlined by the return of James Bond, and we are working closely with our partners, EON productions, on what we believe will be another highly successful installment of this evergreen franchise"
    ----

I suppose we could take that to mean MGM will indeed distribute B25 domestically and that it is still slated for 2019 at this time, although foreign distribution has still not been finalized.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    Great Great to hear!!
    At around 4:15 on the call, Christopher Brearton, the COO (who just joined the company last month from a law firm BTW) said the following:

"The re-entry into the US theatrical distribution business under the MGM banner with an impressive film slate for 2018, and the return of James Bond in 2019"

At around 13:30 on the call, the CFO, Kenneth Kay, said the following:

"In addition we have a strong development pipeline for 2019, headlined by the return of James Bond, and we are working closely with our partners, EON productions, on what we believe will be another highly successful installment of this evergreen franchise"
    ----

I suppose we could take that to mean MGM will indeed distribute B25 domestically and that it is still slated for 2019 at this time, although foreign distribution has still not been finalized.

I think it's likely but when given a chance to say so explicitly (the first of two questions) Brearton ducked.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    So exciting!!! I almost fainted.
    Well at least they did mention it. One step above nothing haha
    Looks like a november 2019 release is locked in. thats good.

They mention they believe it will be highly successful, they must know something.
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    Looks like a november 2019 release is locked in. thats good.

They mention they believe it will be highly successful, they must know something.

They probably know something, but this sort of response isn't necessarily enlightening. It's like seeing a director tout his recent flick as the greatest thing he's ever done, or how producers note how incredible some of their upcoming movies are: what else would they realistically say? It's like someone saying in the call "Yeah I saw some of the Bond script, it's pretty generic and forgettable I have to say. But we'll see."
  • RC7RC7
    edited March 2018 Posts: 10,512
    RC7 wrote: »
    I would actually recommend The Italian Job, @barryt007. It's better than Michael Caine's version.
    Worst opinion on the forum.
    I'm sure you don't mean it.
    RC7 wrote: »
    I would actually recommend The Italian Job, @barryt007. It's better than Michael Caine's version.
    Worst opinion on the forum.
    I'm sure you don't mean it.

MOD EDIT: Language please. There's a time and a place, and that was conpletely unwarranted.
  • FoxRox wrote: »

Look at it this way. While they didn't say much about Bond 25, they said a lot more about it compared with Gary Barber. They didn't even mention Barber's last name.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    FoxRox wrote: »

Look at it this way. While they didn't say much about Bond 25, they said a lot more about it compared with Gary Barber. They didn't even mention Barber's last name.

Close shave.