No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

To the extent that Waltz's not returning might reveal part of the mindset in EON's approach towards Bond 25, I'm more excited today than I was yesterday. However, this next film being perhaps the prime opportunity for a faithful adaptation of YOLT, and considering that that story would in particular benefit from a surprise appearance by Waltz/Blofeld, I'm in no way willing to write off the possibility of his turning up.

But again, this is, for me, promising news. The next test will be seeing what news we get regarding Seydoux.
    Why is so much unresolved really? Blofelds in jail and bond got the girl. It's hardly Han Solo in carbonate.

They can revisit Spectre and blofeld once there's a new bond.

And bond saying 'it didn't work out' ties up the madeline thread. Although I doubt many people will even remember the end of Spectre come 2019
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Pepperidge farm remembers. :))
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Haha!
    Well, finally some news :-D!
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    My initial thought on this is that, they had the rights to Blofeld and SPECTRE, and they failed to deliver the promising adequacy to equal the feel of the early Connery films (SPECTRE being the shadowy antagonist-wise), and now my main belief is that this will be put aside for now, and they will keep those characters prepared for the next reboot, or the next continuity with a more thoughtful setup.

agree 100% if they aren't bring back spectre might as well start all over with new actor its unfortunate they couldn't get it right with with craig
    This is the worst news for the Bond franchise ever and the next movie will automatically suck.

They literally just released a movie saying that Blofeld and Spectre we’re behind everything that happened and they are still a big threat. Sam Mendes and the writers ruined Spectre. If EON can get it together then they could have a great last film for Craig. Why go to the trouble of connecting every film only to say oh this is a stand-alone...

Soo what about Madeline? Are they just going to forget about her and not mention her? They already established each film in Craig’s series is a follow up. If this was back in the day I wouldn’t care because they could get away with Bond and the girl at the end of the movie then not even mentioning her in the next...

I have to agree with you. Why go through the trouble of getting the rights to SPECTRE and then feature them in only one movie? I wanted another from Waltz. I'm so very disappointed if this is true.

I just hope Waltz is lying. And secondly, do they have a script then if he's not lying?

and agree here too why would they go through all the trouble just to throw it all away the same as I feel about babs selling off the franchise rumor.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »
    If Waltz is correct, and he said in the past that he'd only return if Craig did, then it has to be a decision from the writers not incorporating him into it and going with a different angle for his final installment. Because I'm sure Waltz wouldn't have elected to not appear if they wanted him back.
    The rumors of him signing on (on the condition that Craig return) are unsubstantiated, and denied by Waltz himself.

Then who knows what's going on with him. He'll return or he won't, I can guarantee that!

Source?

I can't reveal my sources, but I will give you a hint: I'm Christoph Waltz.

DerHumpink.jpg

Well, I'm Barbara Broccoli, and now that I see you are disclosing delicate information here, I can guarantee you won't return!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQpqsDOhMw96cl3ESwP96-E494YHcxSmHISfvDUPhRejM0lsil9Tg

PS: Matt is my middle name.
    Soo what about Madeline? Are they just going to forget about her and not mention her? They already established each film in Craig’s series is a follow up. If this was back in the day I wouldn’t care because they could get away with Bond and the girl at the end of the movie then not even mentioning her in the next...
    My prediction for a while has been that Blofeld won't return, but Swann will. The Blofeld storyline was closed by the end of Spectre, the Swann storyline wasn't. Also, don't forget the rumours about Bond getting married in Bond 25.

I hope not because they would have to kill her off. I could see a real Blofeld appearing (Mark Strong) and them saying Oberhauser was just someone from Bond’s childhood and they wanted to toy with Bond. Think about it.

The plots so far.

1) Finacing

2) Finacing

3) Killing M

4) Controlling all of the intelligence networks in the world. (Also killing Bond).

5. Blank

“So Oberhauser....He wasn’t the real Blofeld?”

“Right. You’re catching on.”

“A man from my past with a personal vendetta. Jealous over my relationship with his father?”

“Exactly. Case closed. Spectre operating in the shadows yet again..”

“It was a good plan Blofeld. Too bad it didn’t last.”

I swear I can write better dialogue than P&W is it really that hard?!

I wish they do that
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Waltz does look sad in the video. It almost makes me sad myself. He didn't really do anything wrong.
  • //Back then it seemed obvious he was lying, and it seems obvious he is telling the truth this time.//

Obvious?

The story that said Waltz was really playing Blofeld (but would make it initially appear he wasn't) came from the Daily Mail. But it wasn't by Bamigboye. We had the usual fan reaction (Daily Mail is a rag, etc, etc, etc) It was not taken as obvious he was lying because fans (especially British ones) cited how awful the tabloids are, etc.

When you're caught in a big lie (and Waltz was), it's never obvious you're suddenly telling the truth later without corroboration. We don't have that corroboration yet.

That said, do I *know* Waltz is lying? No. Do I know he's telling the truth? No. At this point, I can't trust much of what he says one way or another.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    What Waltz says is a little puzzling. It does suggest that Blofeld would be coming back after Bond 25. But how would he know what is in the works? Odd.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    I never thought I would say this about Waltz, but if he doesn’t come back, no big loss. I don’t feel he brought anything special to the character.
  • GumboldGumbold Atlantis
    //Back then it seemed obvious he was lying, and it seems obvious he is telling the truth this time.//

Obvious?

The story that said Waltz was really playing Blofeld (but would make it initially appear he wasn't) came from the Daily Mail. But it wasn't by Bamigboye. We had the usual fan reaction (Daily Mail is a rag, etc, etc, etc) It was not taken as obvious he was lying because fans (especially British ones) cited how awful the tabloids are, etc.

When you're caught in a big lie (and Waltz was), it's never obvious you're suddenly telling the truth later without corroboration. We don't have that corroboration yet.

That said, do I *know* Waltz is lying? No. Do I know he's telling the truth? No. At this point, I can't trust much of what he says one way or another.

He obviously signed a contract stating he wouldn't disclose information about spectre. All the actors do. For every movie ever. Doesn't make him a liar. And they clearly tried (and failed majorly) to make Oberhauser being Blofeld a big surprise, hence why he denied that he was Blofeld.
    I never thought I would say this about Waltz, but if he doesn’t come back, no big loss. I don’t feel he brought anything special to the character.

I blame Mendes, not Waltz for that. Bring back Waltz under a director that lets him do what he does best; play villains
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    It was very obvious that Oberhauser was Blofeld, though. Giving the film the title Spectre, then showing the main villain in the same way as Blofeld was shown in the early Connery films, it was dead obvious.
    It was very obvious that Oberhauser was Blofeld, though. Giving the film the title Spectre, then showing the main villain in the same way as Blofeld was shown in the early Connery films, it was dead obvious.

Yeah, which is why I think the producers are outdated, thinking that shit actually would work.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I agree with @thelivingroyale on this one. If they wanted to abandon continuity, why go to such pains to reintroduce it in SPECTRE. They could have made a clean break after Skyfall, and done two stand alone films to close out the era. They decided against that. So why wait another 4 years, and then drop the continuity that you just established?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Gumbold wrote: »

Yeah, which is why I think the producers are outdated, thinking that shit actually would work.
    Agreed. It baffles me to no end they thought the whole of Spectre was actually well-structured.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    Waltz was let down by the script and direction. A quality Blofeld performance was well within the grasp of an actor of Waltz' abilities. If he had come back, the optimist in me says he could have turned it round. However - I'm glad if this is accurate and he isn't returning because it side steps the direct sequel idea which will have to untie everything that didn't work about SP and a chance of repeating the same mistakes. It's less about Waltz not returning than it is about addressing what didn't work in SP and a big factor for me is the third act and specifically the character of Blofeld and the use of Swann. Few films are perfect - and even if B25 isn't a highlight of the franchise then, It might seem strange, but I'd rather they made new mistakes than repeat the same ones.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Waltz is an actor...!!

Yes, for sure, the material wasn't the best, but... sometimes... great actors... who put in effort , ELEVATE THE SHIT THEY'RE GIVEN.

I have no doubt that Waltz was given a hot, steaming plate, BUT... in every scene he was given, he gave not two shits. He ran through his bag of tricks, in a lazy fashion.

He was an actor going through the motions. He could have done more, but, he seemed to be asleep during SP
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited October 2017 Posts: 2,721
    Alright mate, no need for caps lock! I'm essentially agreeing that there was a dereliction of duty on all fronts - actor, writers and director. But surely it starts with the script and direction. I just think Blofeld is actually a fairly straight forward character to nail. But that's because my favourite Blofelds are from FRWL and TB. So little surprise the character's best scene in SP for me was the Spectre meeting. And I'm glad, if the story is accurate, that Waltz isn't returning. They had a chance with Blofeld and they butchered it. Time to move on and I'm glad they may have.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    my apologies @Major_Boothroyd, i have a broken left index finger that was weighed down on "Caps Lock"...

To me, the SP meeting was trying to capture something special, like TB, and it was shot beautifully, but, unlike TB, this meeting was a giant YAWN (dammit, that broken finger again)....

SP's script was flawed, but--

Waltz was even WORSE... (my apologies, fellas, finger keeps... you know...)..
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Ottofuse8 wrote: »
    I knew he wasn't back, just as they ignored qos they will ignore sp.
    So it follows Blofeld may return in the following film a la Jesper Christensen/Mr. White, who made negative comments about the franchise when Bond 21 was relased, skipped Bond 22, and was featured in Bond 23. But an even larger organization may still swallow SPECTRE and connect all the films to Bond 24.

Is Charles Gray alive and available? [No, he's not.]
    Does this news from Waltz confirm Daniel Craig will return in Bond 25? [This I don't know.]
    Am I really drinking a gin & tonic if I leave out the lime (or even lemon) slice? {Doesn't really matter.]

These are difficult times.

quote-don-t-wait-for-it-to-happen-don-t-even-want-it-to-happen-just-watch-what-does-happen-sean-connery-89-26-42.jpg
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 12,837
    Whenever I watch SP I can't tell if Waltz is phoning it in, if the concept of him as a Bond villain just sounds too good to live up to expectations, or if it was just too obvious/uninspired casting.

Either way I thought he wasn't great but he was fine. Not a patch on Bardem/Silva but he was a decent villain, had a few cool moments. I think the disappointment comes from how Blofeld is meant to be Bond's arch nemesis but none of them so far have ranked amongst the best. I also think that's because once you take away all the iconic stuff there's really nothing to him as a bad guy in the movies. In the first two books he's in there isn't much there character wise either but he at least has that rich detailed backstory.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 2,115
    //He obviously signed a contract stating he wouldn't disclose information about spectre. All the actors do. //

And he signed away whatever credibility he would have for future projects.

See Harris, Naomie ("I'm not playing Moneypenny!")

See Broccoli, Barbara, ("We haven't hired John Logan to write Bond 24 and Bond 25")

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The adopted brother twist really didn't help matters either. I'm a bit disappointed he won't be back but I'm not fussed. I didn't want Blofeld back in the new era to begin with.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    He is easily the weakest of all the Craig villains, and if we included the brosnan ones then he is still the weakest probably. But. I think its very strange to not have the author and step brother of all bonds pain, built up, and then just left alone forever. I feel like his character needs to do something in this next craig film after all the bullshit that is spectre and if they just don’t have him in it, that’s gonna be worse, because even though most people don’t like him in spectre, he’s a good actor and with a good director and script, he can make a great villain.
    I read it Facebook they interview Christoph Waltz about it. I feel not upset but disappointing. It should remain as the same actor. I was hoping he do it with Daniel Craig & the next Bond. Remember Anthony Ainsley Who play the Master during Roger Moore's time did from Tom Baker to Sylvester McCoy in Dr.Who TV series till it end in 1989. They should actor who will reprise more then once & Twice.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited October 2017 Posts: 1,756
    What also didn't help Blofeld's character is that Bond barely even acknowledges him. He's never like, "Oh damn you Blofeld you used to be a brother to me!" or something Dan could have done to show his personal side (of the brainless plot). Instead, he is just like "whatever this Blowjob guy is LAME-O how can we get on with this?".

Calvin the Bond Reviewer on Youtube said it best: if you're going to commit to the whole Blofeld idea, go all the way. You don't get any sense of familiarity between them, even though they supposedly grew up together... Bond treats him like just... another villain.