SP for SPECTRE

BirdlesonBirdleson San Jose, CAModerator
edited December 2014 in SPECTRE Posts: 29,594
I think SP is the obvious way to abbreviate this one.

Comments

Let me be the first to say... "Meh..."

A few forum member will have to eat their hat, I seem to remember? :D

BUT, apart from the title, everything is looking really promising for the next installment, I am still very optimistic, and what a great cast!
  • BirdlesonBirdleson San Jose, CAModerator
    I am thrilled with the title! Perfect. All that history and weight behind that one word makes it a gem.
  • DaltonforyouDaltonforyou The Daltonator
    What an awful title, looks like the creativity was lacking this time around
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    It's a brilliant title. It makes use of the whole 50-year history of Bond which will be so well known to almost every film lover. Simple, short, effective. Creativity doesn't matter in the slightest, it does exactly what it needs to do... gets the pulse racing!

I agree that SP is the best abbreviation.
    Best title you could hope for! It's Fleming, it's succinct, it's ominous.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    well according to a court ruling, it's really McClory, not Fleming ;)

but thats neither here nor there..

i agree that "SP" is a good abbreviation.
  • Great title (not sure about the font) - as Birdleson mentioned it carries all the history and is a treat for Bond fans really. I'm hoping Blofeld makes a return, but is only seen in a limited capacity - or we only find out who he is near the end of the film, and he is carried over to the next one to be a persistent threat.

Slightly disappointed to hear Andrew Scott is an MI6 ally/agent, as you can tell he's going to be a 'baddie', and yet another one on the inside, which kind of makes a mockery of MI6's recruitment policy. Too many allies have been doubles recently (Frost, Mitchell etc).

Really looking forward to SPECTRE, this announcement has made my week... month.... year... erm gap between Bonds :)
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    If we were in the 90's or previous decade, I'd have a problem with the SPECTRE title. However, now they can produce the film without trying to hide the major plot point that every Bond fan has been speculating since EON finally secured the rights to Blofeld/SPECTRE.

This allows EON to have their shocking reveal while being able to promote the exciting return of SPECTRE. There will still be plenty to keep hidden and fans will still have that exhilarating feeling when we see SPECTRE back in action.

Also, the title alone will help Box Office figures. Anyone think this could topple Skyfall? The anticipation is going to be insane.
    I never give a damn about box office.
  • BennyBenny spammer bannerModerator
    SP for Spectre. Love the title, going with as much Fleming as possible. The cast is superb. This news has made this Bond fan a happy man.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "Better cold with them on, than dead with them off, I always say."Moderator
    Good, i'm on at least. Before my end goes again, i want to get my 2p in, that's a poor title for the film (worse than Skyfall, imo).

The DB10 looked nice, very sexyfull as Tiger would say.
    Could be a challenge for a lyricist, but I like the choice. Special executive for counter-terrosism, revenge, and extortion seems ready made for the times. It comes with lots of baggage and history. Smart pick.
    Could be a challenge for a lyricist, but I like the choice. Special executive for counter-terrosism, revenge, and extortion seems ready made for the times. It comes with lots of baggage and history. Smart pick.
    Good, i'm on at least. Before my end goes again, i want to get my 2p in, that's a poor title for the film (worse than Skyfall, imo).

The DB10 looked nice, very sexyfull as Tiger would say.

SF was a far better title yes, but 'Spectre', though utterly boring, still isn't as tedious as the most tepid title of them all.... 'Licence To Kill'.
    (I know, I know, it was 'revoked' at first. But it still ended up being a boring title)
  • SP works for me. And I'm really happy with the title. It this were a Bond film in the 70s or 80s it'd just seem lazy. But given the fact that it's been 43 years (44 come next year) since Spectre has graced the screen in an official 007 film I'd say this occasion is big enough where it warrants that title.
    A closer look at the bullet hole logo reveals the look of a spider or a throwback to the ring worn by Largo in TB.
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    CrabKey wrote: »
    A closer look at the bullet hole logo reveals the look of a spider or a throwback to the ring worn by Largo in TB.

It's clearly meant to be the SPECTRE octopus logo. It's also cleverly reminiscent of the bullethole in the windscreen in OHMSS.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    What an awful title, looks like the creativity was lacking this time around

This.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2014 Posts: 23,883
    I would have preferred the following:

"Spectre of Deceit"
    "Spectre of Deception"

From what we're hearing, the above would be more in keeping with the plot and has more of a Bondian flair. The acronym SoD could have been used for eternity too. :)
    Bullet hole on new Spectre poster is the spider from the Spectre ring.
    Pleased with the title actually. I remember seeing this title announced as a Kevin McClory follow up to NSNA so it's not exactly new. Then again neither was the title GoldenEye. Still quite Bondian even if lacking in creativity. I'm very glad they didn't go with a completely made up name. I can recall after months of waiting and speculation- going on line to one of the Bond websites and seeing the official announcement- BOND 20 is.................DIE ANOTHER DAY. SPECTRE gets my thumbs ups.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I LOVE the title! It's clean, short, Bondian and even sexy. SP for Spectre and HD for happy Dimi!!!! :D
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    bondjames wrote: »
    I would have preferred the following:

"Spectre of Deceit"
    "Spectre of Deception"

From what we're hearing, the above would be more in keeping with the plot and has more of a Bondian flair. The acronym SoD could have been used for eternity too. :)

Bond's Spectre of Deceit, so the acronym would be BSOD.
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 2,492
    I'm content with the title. Not overjoyed but neither displeased. I had a feeling it would be a one word title again. It lacks the style of titles like 'From Russia With Love' and 'You Only Live Twice' but at the same time it has a certain impact to it. I don't know whether I would feel the same way if I wasn't a Bond fan and not aware of the organisation from the Fleming books and the early Connery films.

Unfortunately it's just the same boring font again. What's with them? Why don't they want to use something creative like in the good old days? I don't get it. I do love the way they used the octopus logo with the bullet hole. Recognised this immediately.

I'm excited about the cast. I think that this is the best cast ever used in a Bond film. It's wonderful to see Bellucci in there. I've wanted to see her since I first saw the French film La Apartment back in 96. It’s good to have an older Bond girl for once too. I suspect she’ll be the villain but who knows.

Bond 25 should be called ‘A World Without Want’. I remember where I read this now. It’s the name of the bar in Fleming’s novel, ‘Moonraker’.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Hm, an initialism of an acronym?!

Yes, SP is the best as:

SE= Special Edition (DVD)
    SC= Sean Connery
    ST has connotations which we don't really want to associate with the Bond franchise
    Minimalist, yes. But as @DarthDimi said, very clean.

I'm all for the title, and actually think it's a little better than Skyfall. I also love the bullet hole/SPECTRE insignia teaser poster.

I'm assuming the official title is "SPECTRE" and not "Spectre," right?
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 2,492
    I'm content with the title. Not overjoyed but neither displeased. I had a feeling it would be a one word title again. It lacks the style of titles like 'From Russia With Love' and 'You Only Live Twice' but at the same time it has a certain simplistic, impact to it and I don't mean in a bad way. Very direct. I don't know whether I would feel the same way if I wasn't a Bond fan and not aware of the organisation from the Fleming books and the early Connery films.

Unfortunately it's just the same boring font again. What's with them? Why don't they want to use something creative like in the good old days? I don't get it. I do love the way they used the Spectre octopus image with the bullet hole. Recognised this immediately.

I'm excited about the cast. I think that this is the best cast ever used in a Bond film. It's wonderful to see Bellucci in there. I've wanted to see her as a Bond girl since I first saw her in the French film 'The Apartment' back in 96. It’s good to have an older Bond girl for once too. She's 50. I suspect she’ll be the villain but who knows. Maybe even the head of the organisation. In Gardner's 'For Special Services', Nina Blofeld was the head of the resurrected Spectre.

Bond 25 should be called ‘A World Without Want’. I remember where I read this now. It’s the name of the bar in Fleming’s novel, ‘Moonraker’.
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 5,451
    I agree its not creative enough. Here are some versions they shpuld have considered...

Dr Spectre
    From Russia With Spectre
    The Spectre of Gold
    Thunderspectre
    You exSpectre'd That Twice?
    Her Majesty's Spectre
    Spectre is Forever... or is it?
    Live and exSpectre
    The Man With Spectre
    The Spectre of Love
    MoonSpectre
    From Your Spectre Only
    Spectrepussy!
    The Spectre in View
    The Daylight Spectre
    Licence to exSpectre
    The Spectre of the Eye
    Spectre Never Dies
    Spectre is not Enough
    Dayspectre
    Specter Royale
    Spectre of Solace
    Skyspectre

All of these would have been SO much better! Instead they choose the boring version... "Clean"? Yeah right! Fleming would have be so dissapointed...
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited December 2014 Posts: 1,755
    SJK91 wrote: »
    Minimalist, yes. But as @DarthDimi said, very clean.

I'm all for the title, and actually think it's a little better than Skyfall. I also love the bullet hole/SPECTRE insignia teaser poster.

I'm assuming the official title is "SPECTRE" and not "Spectre," right?

Well on IMDB, it does say "Spectre".

Another acroym would be SPT, but it will most likely be SP.
    Hate to be rude, but I've been following the fan generated titles on the other thread and they all pretty much sucked.