Dragonpol's "Strange and Bizarre" Mysterious World Thread

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Hey, I've got a bizarre story for you all. ;)

So, here I am, collecting all the scores of the five OMEN films in digital format, merging them to one track per film, and getting ready to print them on a disc (for my music installation) at a quality of 320 kbps for some and 256 for others. Checking the total amount of disc space required for all five tracks, I discover it is:

666 megabytes!

I'm neither upset nor scared, but it is one hell (see what I did there?) of a coincidence. ;)

By the way, has anyone ever heard of what happened to special effects guy John Richardson after shooting THE OMEN?
    I wouldn't treat it as anything sinister, @DarthDimi...at least until a little boy called Damien washes up on your doorstep asking for a place to stay. THEN you can start getting upset and scared.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    18580819_1699402670359808_2908147339946360832_n.jpg
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Excellent :D
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    18580819_1699402670359808_2908147339946360832_n.jpg

The Black House.
    BlackHouseMatters.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 17,728
    BlackHouseMatters.

I love how the Pope is in white. They just needed Nicki Minaj and they'd have had a full deck!
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    BlackHouseMatters.

I love how the Pope is in white. They just needed Nicki Minaj and they'd have had a full deck!

Even more eerily the above post was my 11,111th comment on this community. I'm sure that's a signifier of something or other.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    BlackHouseMatters.

Even more eerily the above post was my 11,111th comment on this community. I'm sure that's a signifier of something or other.
    @Dragonpol, just a confirmation you're a non-binary, working human and not an AI computer menace programmed to rid earth of all life. If that's worth celebrating to you, have at it.
    BlackHouseMatters.

@Dragonpol, just a confirmation you're a non-binary, working human and not an AI computer menace programmed to rid earth of all life. If that's worth celebrating to you, have at it.

Any excuse for a public holiday...
    gifto_turn_on_tune_02.gif
    gifto_turn_on_tune_02.gif

I'm seeing visions just looking at that. Who needs opium to have such dreams? You can get it for free in this thread instead!
    edited March 2018 Posts: 17,728
    One from my pal @Thunderpussy on the sister thread on AJB:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/loch-ness-monster-spotted-american-12269820
    Nessie spotted again

My commentary:

It just looks like a part of a wave to me!

Also, Nessie must be a fair old age by now! ;)
    MYSTERY "Black Smoke Portals" Appear Worldwide (2015):

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Interesting stuff.
    Interesting stuff.

Yes, I only found it the other day. It came up in my feed as I wasn't searching for it. Thought it was interesting enough to share here with you all in this thread. :)
    Some good stuff here, @Dragonpol and @Thunderfinger. I know this is probably embellished but the poster of this video knows how to tell a good story. Personally, I think it has a whiff of creepy pasta about it. I haven't seen this posted previously so I've provided a link...

edited August 2018 Posts: 17,728
    3 Mysterious TIME SLIP & TIME TRAVEL STORIES:

I believe that the last of these timeslip stories was featured in an episode of ITV's Strange but True programme in the mid-1990s.
    A very interesting time slip story to read is THE SHADOW OUT OF TIME by H.P. Lovecraft.
    A very interesting time slip story to read is THE SHADOW OUT OF TIME by H.P. Lovecraft.

Ah, that's good to know. I'll seek it out, @DarthDimi! :)
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,449
    I must warn you, though. :) If you have absolutely no experience with anything Lovecraft, his writings are an acquired taste. Once you have caught the bug, however, it's hard to let go.

H.P. Lovecraft (1890 – 1937) had a particular interest in chemistry and astronomy and rejected religion completely, to the point even where he would openly pity the religious. He once wrote that “Religion is still useful among the herd - that it helps their orderly conduct as nothing else could. The crude human animal is ineradicably superstitious, and there is every biological reason why he should be. Take away his Christian god and saints, and he will worship something else...”

He adhered to a materialistic worldview, though his philosophy can best be described as "cosmicism" rather than bitter atheism. As such, Lovecraft considered our position in the cosmos, both in time and space, and decided we are incredibly small, insignificant, our reality being little more than a thin slice of a gigantic, multilayered universe we haven't even begun to comprehend. In lovecraft's wild imagination, the cosmos is inhabited by creatures who are masters over time and space and who could crush us like bugs if so desired. But rather than that, they will probably simply overlook us, not caring one iota about humans. Yet every once in a while, one of us may catch a glimpse of other dimensions, of dream realities and of old races of creatures momentarily dormant, somewhere on Earth, underwater or hidden deep in Antarctic mountains. Those "fortunate" enough to have such experiences, usually fail to pick their lives back up afterwards. Many a narrator in Lovecraft's stories starts by pointing out that he shall soon either lose his mind forever or take his life lest the horrible visions, clearly not meant for our mortal eyes, hunt him forever. To us, the hidden secrets of the cosmos are revealed--if I may borrow this thread's title--as "strange and bizarre".

It surprises many people that Lovecraft dreamed up a collection of cosmic superbeings whom he referred to as 'gods', given how he himself could never believe in the existence of a god. The most likely explanation seems to be that Lovecraft used an easily understood word for beings much older and much more impressive than we are, masters of time and space, from the "crawling chaos" Nyarlathotep to the "Great Old One" Cthulhu. In his story THE SHADOW OUT OF TIME, Lovecraft introduced the "Great Race of Yith", whose mastery of precognition through time travel gave them their power. In this story, a common man is allowed multiple time slips by these Yith. It is one of Lovecraft's most popular stories today.

As a scientist, I can safely say that Plato's cave analogy and Lovecraft's cosmicism almost prophetically announced how science is conducted today. We have only just begun to gaze "outwards", leaving Plato's cave so to speak, discovering a world beyond ours, a world governed by rules and laws completely different from ours. Using particle accelerators, stellar spectra, gravitational wave detectors and more, we furthermore try to probe the unknown, which Lovecraft once described as what we fear the most. Our discoveries can, indeed, upset people because the more we discover exactly how insignificant a role we have been playing in this unfathomably large universe since the Big Bang, which occurred so long ago that the human mind fails to get a good grip on the temporal distance between the now and the then, the more some experience the burning desire to reject it all. Some of the best scientists of the 20th century called quantum physics utter madness, not because the theory failed to survive their scientific scrutiny but because they struggled with the bizarre yet unavoidable consequences of it all. Had Lovecraft been alive when our particle accelerators began "birthing" an entire zoo of subatomic particles or when wormholes and black holes were first submitted as real things, defying many classical notions of physics in the process, he could have easily outsmarted Dan Brown in his suspenseful and atmospheric stories. One can only dream how far Lovecraft's "brilliantly weird" mind might have travelled with another 50 years or so of "modern" physics thrown in his lap. Alas, his weak health and uneven psychological condition deprived us of Howard Philips Lovecraft far too soon.

Though his stories were hardly popular while he was alive, Lovecraft quickly became a source of inspiration for many after his untimely demise. Filmmakers like John Carpenter, Guillermo del Toro, Stuart Gordon and Brian Yuzna, writers like Alan Moore, Neil Gainman, Mike Mignola, Clive Barker and Stephen King, an artist like H.R. Giger, and many more, have been heavily influenced by Lovecraft. So have many game developers. If you like films like THE THING, HELLBOY, RE-ANIMATOR, DAGON, THE SHAPE OF WATER, ... you will love Lovecraft. That said, his particular style of writing isn't quite to everybody's taste, thriving more on bizarre moods and horrific punchlines than on character development or bombastic climaxes. In fact, Lovecraft's stories could easily be mistaken as boring if one tries to read them as conventional horror fiction. The dreaminess of it all, the "big" ideas, the wild imagination, the unusual vocabulary... those are the elements that make Lovecraft's fiction worthy of your time. Nowadays, it's easy to find the complete fiction by H.P. Lovecraft collected in a single book at a very accessible price. A good 1000 pages is "all" it takes, and trust me, once you have caught the bug, like I wrote in my first paragraph, it's hard to let go. I have been reading these stories over and over again in the last couple of years and I can safely say, they are highly addictive, but also very strange, and very bizarre...

portrait-lovecraft-hp.png
    edited August 2018 Posts: 17,728
    I must warn you, though. :) If you have absolutely no experience with anything Lovecraft, his writings are an acquired taste. Once you have caught the bug, however, it's hard to let go.

H.P. Lovecraft (1890 – 1937) had a particular interest in chemistry and astronomy and rejected religion completely, to the point even where he would openly pity the religious. He once wrote that “Religion is still useful among the herd - that it helps their orderly conduct as nothing else could. The crude human animal is ineradicably superstitious, and there is every biological reason why he should be. Take away his Christian god and saints, and he will worship something else...”

He adhered to a materialistic worldview, though his philosophy can best be described as "cosmicism" rather than bitter atheism. As such, Lovecraft considered our position in the cosmos, both in time and space, and decided we are incredibly small, insignificant, our reality being little more than a thin slice of a gigantic, multilayered universe we haven't even begun to comprehend. In lovecraft's wild imagination, the cosmos is inhabited by creatures who are masters over time and space and who could crush us like bugs if so desired. But rather than that, they will probably simply overlook us, not caring one iota about humans. Yet every once in a while, one of us may catch a glimpse of other dimensions, of dream realities and of old races of creatures momentarily dormant, somewhere on Earth, underwater or hidden deep in Antarctic mountains. Those "fortunate" enough to have such experiences, usually fail to pick their lives back up afterwards. Many a narrator in Lovecraft's stories starts by pointing out that he shall soon either lose his mind forever or take his life lest the horrible visions, clearly not meant for our mortal eyes, hunt him forever. To us, the hidden secrets of the cosmos are revealed--if I may borrow this thread's title--as "strange and bizarre".

It surprises many people that Lovecraft dreamed up a collection of cosmic superbeings whom he referred to as 'gods', given how he himself could never believe in the existence of a god. The most likely explanation seems to be that Lovecraft used an easily understood word for beings much older and much more impressive than we are, masters of time and space, from the "crawling chaos" Nyarlathotep to the "Great Old One" Cthulhu. In his story THE SHADOW OUT OF TIME, Lovecraft introduced the "Great Race of Yith", whose mastery of precognition through time travel gave them their power. In this story, a common man is allowed multiple time slips by these Yith. It is one of Lovecraft's most popular stories today.

As a scientist, I can safely say that Plato's cave analogy and Lovecraft's cosmicism almost prophetically announced how science is conducted today. We have only just begun to gaze "outwards", leaving Plato's cave so to speak, discovering a world beyond ours, a world governed by rules and laws completely different from ours. Using particle accelerators, stellar spectra, gravitational wave detectors and more, we furthermore try to probe the unknown, which Lovecraft once described as what we fear the most. Our discoveries can, indeed, upset people because the more we discover exactly how insignificant a role we have been playing in this unfathomably large universe since the Big Bang, which occurred so long ago that the human mind fails to get a good grip on the temporal distance between the now and the then, the more some experience the burning desire to reject it all. Some of the best scientists of the 20th century called quantum physics utter madness, not because the theory failed to survive their scientific scrutiny but because they struggled with the bizarre yet unavoidable consequences of it all. Had Lovecraft been alive when our particle accelerators began "birthing" an entire zoo of subatomic particles or when wormholes and black holes were first submitted as real things, defying many classical notions of physics in the process, he could have easily outsmarted Dan Brown in his suspenseful and atmospheric stories. One can only dream how far Lovecraft's "brilliantly weird" mind might have travelled with another 50 years or so of "modern" physics thrown in his lap. Alas, his weak health and uneven psychological condition deprived us of Howard Philips Lovecraft far too soon.

Though his stories were hardly popular while he was alive, Lovecraft quickly became a source of inspiration for many after his untimely demise. Filmmakers like John Carpenter, Guillermo del Toro, Stuart Gordon and Brian Yuzna, writers like Alan Moore, Neil Gainman, Mike Mignola, Clive Barker and Stephen King, an artist like H.R. Giger, and many more, have been heavily influenced by Lovecraft. So have many game developers. If you like films like THE THING, HELLBOY, RE-ANIMATOR, DAGON, THE SHAPE OF WATER, ... you will love Lovecraft. That said, his particular style of writing isn't quite to everybody's taste, thriving more on bizarre moods and horrific punchlines than on character development or bombastic climaxes. In fact, Lovecraft's stories could easily be mistaken as boring if one tries to read them as conventional horror fiction. The dreaminess of it all, the "big" ideas, the wild imagination, the unusual vocabulary... those are the elements that make Lovecraft's fiction worthy of your time. Nowadays, it's easy to find the complete fiction by H.P. Lovecraft collected in a single book at a very accessible price. A good 1000 pages is "all" it takes, and trust me, once you have caught the bug, like I wrote in my first paragraph, it's hard to let go. I have been reading these stories over and over again in the last couple of years and I can safely say, they are highly addictive, but also very strange, and very bizarre...

portrait-lovecraft-hp.png

Well, thank you very much for that warning and excellently detailed introduction to Lovecraft's work, @DarthDimi.

I already know a very little about Lovecraft from a friend and past work colleague. I'll be sure to seek out a collected edition of his stories ASAP! :)
    A weird sign found in Omaha, Nebraska late last year:

https://imgur.com/gallery/U0uKMaK
    Two thread updates:

16 Historical Events Too Gruesome to Google:

https://historycollection.co/16-historical-events-too-gruesome-to-google/

Mysterious Locked Doors That Can Never Be Opened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXtesH0x7tE