Who should/could be a Bond actor? *SPOILERS*

Comments

GadgetMan wrote: »
    I think Barbara already knows who her choice for Bond 7 is, because she usually looks at the next Bond when the current Bond is still active. It's just a matter of arranging the usual Bondian screen test to see if other candidates would beat her preferred choice.

I* can confirm she does not
    I don't believe Barbara is at all interested in contemplating Craig's replacement at the moment. I think she just wants assurance from Amazon their support when the day comes she does cast for B26.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I don't believe Barbara is at all interested in contemplating Craig's replacement at the moment. I think she just wants assurance from Amazon their support when the day comes she does cast for B26.

Possibly, but it’s human nature to look ahead; I think she is aware of certain candidates and is passively evaluating.
    talos7 wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »

Possibly, but it’s human nature to look ahead; I think she is aware of certain candidates and is passively evaluating.

That sounds most likely.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think it would be almost impossible that they don't keep one eye open for potential candidates, probably even when they have a full-time Bond they're not looking to get rid of.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I imagine Eon must have there eyes on one or two. Didn't Cubby mention about Pierce when he met him on the set of FYEO?

I suppose you can't cast the next actor, until you know the direction you're going in. I doubt they'd have cast Timothy in Daylights, if it was going to be a campy adventure for instance. The actor must suit the new era
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    I have seen his name crop up on here, but what do people think of Dan Stevens? A lot of 'Bond Twitter' seems to love him, and I saw a picture posted of him where he looked good.

Not seen him in anything, but he seems to have a twinkle in his eye and can/could look tough if they play it right.

But like I say, not seen him.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    I have seen his name crop up on here, but what do people think of Dan Stevens? A lot of 'Bond Twitter' seems to love him, and I saw a picture posted of him where he looked good.

Not seen him in anything, but he seems to have a twinkle in his eye and can/could look tough if they play it right.

Dan Stevens works for me. He has those sparkling, grey-blue Bondian eyes. He was electric in The Guest(2014). Only thing is, he's 38 now and might be in his early or mid-40s when they start work on Bond 26.

Dan Stevens works for me. He has those sparkling, grey-blue Bondian eyes. He was electric in The Guest(2014). Only thing is, he's 38 now and might be in his early or mid-40s when they start work on Bond 26.

Thank you. Yes, people rave about him in The Guest. Will watch.

Thank you. Yes, people rave about him in The Guest. Will watch.

Sure :)>-
  • SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    Dan Stevens is the only one I can get behind at the moment - most of the others people posted on this threadare either too old/young or just plain wrong! This guy has the right set of attributes.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside

Good shout @FatherValentine he would make a good Bond I reckon
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I'm not a huge Dan Stevens fan personally. I think he'd be a bit one-note with it.
  • SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    Couldn't disagree more - he's been in some pretty varied (and often quite successful) roles. I love the charm/confidence/arrogance he exudes and think he'd be a refreshing change from the "non-stop brooding" Bond of the Craig era.
    And he's a better singer than Brosnan! He can resurrect Underneath the Mango Tree.
    Put me down for Dan Stevens as Bond, too. He looks quite suave. Lets get B26 rolling already.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Satorious wrote: »
    Couldn't disagree more - he's been in some pretty varied (and often quite successful) roles. I love the charm/confidence/arrogance he exudes and think he'd be a refreshing change from the "non-stop brooding" Bond of the Craig era.

Agreed. He's great. Truly wonderful in The Guest, even if the film itself goes off a cliff in the last third.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    No to Stevens. Bond should have a jawline.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I keep meaning to watch The Guest. It’s one of those I just forget to catch.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    mtm wrote: »
    I keep meaning to watch The Guest. It’s one of those I just forget to catch.

I agree with Craig when he says that Stevens is great in it, but the third act has got problems. Worth catching, though.
    edited July 23 Posts: 3,880
    I also agree that the film's momentum dropped in its third act. But Dan Stevens still maintained his menacing demeanour.
  • edited July 24 Posts: 13,332
    In any case (and I know nothing of the actor himself) Dan Steven will be a bit old when the time comes to choose a successor. If he was to be cast now for a Bond film being released next year, maybe he'd have a chance, but again I think he might have missed the train.
    I think we seem to be in a bit of a bind regarding actor's ages. Everyone over 40 is considered too old, but everyone under 35 is considered 'baby faced'. That leaves only a very specific and narrow window that could prove restricting when it comes to casting.

People look younger these days. 40 year olds don't look as old as they used to. I don't think we should rule people out just because of the numbers on someone's birth certificate.

Of course, if they are in their late 40s then it might be more difficult for them to make 4 or 5 films, but I don't think 40 or early forties is too old to get a run in the role.
    edited July 24 Posts: 3,880
    I think we seem to be in a bit of a bind regarding actor's ages. Everyone over 40 is considered too old, but everyone under 35 is considered 'baby faced'. That leaves only a very specific and narrow window that could prove restricting when it comes to casting.

People look younger these days. 40 year olds don't look as old as they used to. I don't think we should rule people out just because of the numbers on someone's birth certificate.

Of course, if they are in their late 40s then it might be more difficult for them to make 4 or 5 films, but I don't think 40 or early forties is too old to get a run in the role.

Yeah. With Moore, Dalton & Brosnan. EON of old didn't bother about them being in their 40s. So EON can still bring back that style of casting. Personally, I think they should, because Craig should have made more than 5 Bond films, considering he joins Connery & Lazenby as the youngest Bonds.

Yeah. With Moore, Dalton & Brosnan. EON of old didn't bother about them being in their 40s. So EON can still bring back that style of casting. Personally, I think they should, because Craig should have made more than 5 Bond films, considering he joins Connery & Lazenby as the youngest Bonds.

Yes I agree with this. Obviously the optimum is to get an actor who is 35. But 35 year old good looking actors are likely to look mid/late twenties these days.

Yes I agree with this. Obviously the optimum is to get an actor who is 35. But 35 year old good looking actors are likely to look mid/late twenties these days.

Exactly.
  • BennyBenny Classified Administrator, Moderator
    The only trouble with hiring an actor who's slightly older, say in their 40's is they become more and more susceptible to being injury prone. Not always of course, but the risk is probably high enough for the studio and EON to be concerned.
    One of the reasons I believe factored in Pierce Brosnan not returning for a fifth film, was the injury his sustained to his knee whilst film DAD. It's never been confirmed obviously, but at the time it put the film schedule into disarray. Just a theory I have with bringing in the younger Daniel Craig, and rebooting the series with CR.
    Benny wrote: »
    The only trouble with hiring an actor who's slightly older, say in their 40's is they become more and more susceptible to being injury prone. Not always of course, but the risk is probably high enough for the studio and EON to be concerned.
    One of the reasons I believe factored in Pierce Brosnan not returning for a fifth film, was the injury his sustained to his knee whilst film DAD. It's never been confirmed obviously, but at the time it put the film schedule into disarray. Just a theory I have with bringing in the younger Daniel Craig, and rebooting the series with CR.

I think this might be a consideration. But it still leaves us with the same problem. That actors who are between 30-35 look very young these days, are still going to look younger than previous actors in the role until they get to 40, and then they are considered too old.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Craig got an injury on only his second film, I'm not sure they'd worry too much about that.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    • run
    mtm wrote: »
    Craig got an injury on only his second film, I'm not sure they'd worry too much about that.

I agree 100% ; as a man who has always been heavily involved in health and fitness, and has a very physically taxing occupation as a firefighter, I can confidently say that physical durability for an actor in his 40’s , into his 50’s is a non-issue for an actor who maintains their body.