Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• edited November 2020 Posts: 162
    He is also perfect for luxury goods adverts playing a poor man's Bond. To Bond, he's the new Clive Owen.

That's exactly what he is. Thank you. Lazy, mediocre, fan casting. It's devoid of progression, originality and forward thinking.

• FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    He is also perfect for luxury goods adverts playing a poor man's Bond. To Bond, he's the new Clive Owen.

That's exactly what he is. Thank you. Lazy, mediocre, fan casting. It's devoid of progression, originality and forward thinking.

You sound like you're foaming at the mouth typing that.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Aidan Turner really is the most Connery-like of all the candidates so far. Whenever I watch any of the old classics I remember how Bond was so suave and svelte, and Turner has the same dark hero image. Bond needs a masculine edge and I think that's shown in the brave and domineering characters he chooses to play. But anyone how actually watches any interviews and he is as affable and self-deprecating as Roger. Its a good job he doesn't star in major movies, but is gliding under the radar, unlike Cavill who is doing it wrong IMO. To the global audienceTurner is an unknown quantity, but to Bond fans he already has a following, and growing quickly...
  • He is also perfect for luxury goods adverts playing a poor man's Bond. To Bond, he's the new Clive Owen.

You sound like you're foaming at the mouth typing that.

Lol. I'm just vehemently against him. The franchise deserves better. I'm passionate about Bond having that certain something, which Cavill very much lacks. I think of him as magnolia painted woodchip wallpaper.
    [/quote]

I'm just vehemently against him. [/quote]

Haha. I think we've got the message!

For the record, I don't want him for all sorts of reasons. But I don't think he is anywhere near as bad as you say.

By the way, you haven't denied you're against him because he tupped your missus...
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

I'm just vehemently against him. [/quote]

For the record, I don't want him for all sorts of reasons. But I don't think he is anywhere near as bad as you say.

By the way, you haven't denied you're against him because he tupped your missus...
    [/quote]

Yeah, I'd be disappointed, and I wouldn't understand really, but it wouldn't be the end of the world for me. I'm still going to see it.

• I'm just vehemently against him. [/quote]

[/quote]

Haha!!! OK, you got me. Well, he got her. 😢😢😢
    I knew it.
    No to Obama as Bond. No American please.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Ronan Raftery. Ireland. You can see him in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (2016) and Mortal Engines (2018)

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3995719/

Whyle is more intresting as villian, because he look a bit to much on Sean Bean and Edward Norton.

ngcb12

RR_IMG_6973b_2-1600x1191.jpg

78bfcd1658baa19050fc24fbd8b026a1.png
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    I think he is a interesting new name to the list.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Aidan Turner really is the most Connery-like of all the candidates so far. Whenever I watch any of the old classics I remember how Bond was so suave and svelte, and Turner has the same dark hero image. Bond needs a masculine edge and I think that's shown in the brave and domineering characters he chooses to play. But anyone how actually watches any interviews and he is as affable and self-deprecating as Roger. Its a good job he doesn't star in major movies, but is gliding under the radar, unlike Cavill who is doing it wrong IMO. To the global audienceTurner is an unknown quantity, but to Bond fans he already has a following, and growing quickly...

Quoted for truth @Mendes4Lyfe
    There is no other more suitable for Bond.

U0iWltY.jpg
    The step up from TV acting to the big screen should not be underestimated. RM founda route and PB did struggle. EON will be gambling (I know its all a gamble) to go for a TV actor
    patb wrote: »
    The step up from TV acting to the big screen should not be underestimated. RM founda route and PB did struggle. EON will be gambling (I know its all a gamble) to go for a TV actor

Turner has starred in multiple cinema motion pictures. Carry on.
    Ronan Raftery ? For the credibility of that physical type please watch The Take, and note the OUTRAGEOUS and telling difference between Idris Elba -- tall, built and fantastic with action, with a megawatt smile when it's charm-time -- compared with small, slight Richard Madden, he of the oft-furrowed brow. It's not all in the face.
  • patb wrote: »

The Man Who Met the Bigfoot and then Killed Hitler?
    Funny, thanks to the title. You plan on telling Sam Elliott that movie was sh**e ? But the more telling reference would be to the Hobbit movies. He portrayed a dashing, brave, handsome leader. Well, OK one of about 4' in height. When not playing a Hobbit, he's 5'10 1.2" per IMDB (Craig described at 5'10"). As with athletes, actors sometimes are described with, say, generosity. If he's not REALLY that tall, then, well, you know -- Exit, stage right. Personally, I think he was terrific in the Hobbit films and in Poldark. He does handsome, smoldering intensity well. As I've written before, I think the films are due for a change of tone for a while, and will return to a series of mostly standalone adventures (but for minor connections as in the first sets of films) with a charming, handsome, but violent and action-filled portrayal. I've not seen that Mr. Turner, but I've not seen more than the films/show I listed above. I've also not seen ALL the Poldark episodes, so I know not whether he's shown that happier, charming side. Additionally, um, ahem, I've not seen him with his shirt off.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    If he suits the role, and have a strong screentest, be it stage, screen, television , etc. I don’t think an actor’s primary background has much meaning
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

The Man Who Met the Bigfoot and then Killed Hitler?

Yeah he's not really proven he can lead a film to me yet. Maybe he can, I don't know.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Ironically, Tobias Menzies would probably make a good M now.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    No to Obama as Bond. No American please.
    Why you--

Oh, okay. Good point.

edited November 2020 Posts: 1,318
    Since62 wrote: »
    Funny, thanks to the title. You plan on telling Sam Elliott that movie was sh**e ? But the more telling reference would be to the Hobbit movies. He portrayed a dashing, brave, handsome leader. Well, OK one of about 4' in height. When not playing a Hobbit, he's 5'10 1.2" per IMDB (Craig described at 5'10"). As with athletes, actors sometimes are described with, say, generosity. If he's not REALLY that tall, then, well, you know -- Exit, stage right. Personally, I think he was terrific in the Hobbit films and in Poldark. He does handsome, smoldering intensity well. As I've written before, I think the films are due for a change of tone for a while, and will return to a series of mostly standalone adventures (but for minor connections as in the first sets of films) with a charming, handsome, but violent and action-filled portrayal. I've not seen that Mr. Turner, but I've not seen more than the films/show I listed above. I've also not seen ALL the Poldark episodes, so I know not whether he's shown that happier, charming side. Additionally, um, ahem, I've not seen him with his shirt off.

I quite liked 'Bigfoot', granted it's a strange little film. But I did enjoy it and Turner was convincing as young Sam.

Turner is somewhat taller than Craig, probably half- to an inch taller. Craig looks shorter also due to his stocky build. Totally agree with you him doing handsome, smoldering intensity well. He is intense in a way Dalts was/is. It adds to the Mystery of Bond.

Definitely continue watching Poldark I'd say. Especially the last season is interesting, which features a nod to Bond. Also, go and watch And Then There Were None, which is fabulous. Turner's character somewhat resembles Bond, quite interesting. Last but not least, he stars in a new Terrence Malick film, a biblical plotline. Also, Leonardo, quite an expensive Sony TV production in which he stars alongside our own beloved Mathis from CR.

As for shirtless Turner? This snippet from And Then There Were None should suffice.

tumblr_inline_oen7p5SNEV1tae3h3_250.gif

Apparently the title refers how many clean shirts has in his closet ? "and then, there were none..."
  • edited November 2020 Posts: 14,800
    I really don't want the Bond films to be 'edgy' with Harry Styles or whoever. It would change the identity of the franchise.

I really think Henry Cavill is the only choice. I get that he isn't the best actor, but he looks great and he's terrific in action. That's all you need!

I haven't seen him as Sherlock Holmes yet, is he any good???

5c58ae773a9a9b25f6f62a926d7296b002b9480f.jpg?fw=1200
    actor-henry-cavill-who-plays-quot-august-walker-quot-in-news-photo-1580146745.jpg
    3uk4hrbu4yf11.jpg
    oo12.jpg
    Henry-Cavill-640x321.jpg&height=650&width=1317.1052631579&action=resize
    enola-holmes-director-talks-putting-a-new-spin-on-sherlock-holmes-exclusive

Do you remember him in The Hobbit? Me neither.
    In the Hobbit movies he portrayed Kili, a major character. That character had a long beard, long hair and some heavy clothing at times. Like many characters in the LOTR and Hobbit films, this may have rendered him less recognizable. If one is not fond of the actor, that would be one thing, however, this provides no reason to belittle his contribution or the memorability of the character. Again -- Kili was a major character in the Hobbit films.

Was Sean Connery memorable for any films prior to Dr. No ? Not much. Most notably, he was in The Longest Day in 1962, the same year as Dr. No. He was in a Disney film that was not a big Disney hit in 1959, and Another Time, Another Place with Lana Turner in 1958. He got plenty of notice for TV work, though. Roger Moore in films before Bond ? Moore was primarily known for his TV work in Maverick, The Saint and the brief-lived The Persuaders. I could go on, but you may recall it worked well for the producers to work with lesser-known actors: They cost less, at first, and they do not distract the audience by being strongly recognized for something else and being strongly associated with it to the point it detracts from acceptance of them as Bond. Of all the actors, Moore was most-known in advance, but he brought his same-as-ever breezy charm and that was the new route for the films for a while, and it worked out.
    edited November 2020 Posts: 1,318
    In the Hobbit movies he portrayed Kili, a major character. That character had a long beard, long hair and some heavy clothing at times. Like many characters in the LOTR and Hobbit films, this may have rendered him less recognizable. If one is not fond of the actor, that would be one thing, however, this provides no reason to belittle his contribution or the memorability of the character. Again -- Kili was a major character in the Hobbit films.

Was Sean Connery memorable for any films prior to Dr. No ? Not much. Most notably, he was in The Longest Day in 1962, the same year as Dr. No. He was in a Disney film that was not a big Disney hit in 1959, and Another Time, Another Place with Lana Turner in 1958. He got plenty of notice for TV work, though. Roger Moore in films before Bond ? Moore was primarily known for his TV work in Maverick, The Saint and the brief-lived The Persuaders. I could go on, but you may recall it worked well for the producers to work with lesser-known actors: They cost less, at first, and they do not distract the audience by being strongly recognized for something else and being strongly associated with it to the point it detracts from acceptance of them as Bond. Of all the actors, Moore was most-known in advance, but he brought his same-as-ever breezy charm and that was the new route for the films for a while, and it worked out.

Refreshing, a (seemingly) new member who knows his stuff.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

Good post.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    I think Turner is on the right track for the screentest.

Kili was most definitely NOT major character in The Hobbit. They tried to beef him up in the movies but I don't think it really worked (like many things in The Hobbit, sadly) and the character could have been played by anyone without any difference.
    And I will be indulgent as you're new here @Since62 , but you don't know me at all. I'm a big advocate of casting lesser known actors, not only for Bond, but for Bond girls, villains, the lot. My issue with Turner is not that he is less known, but that he might be a tad bland and unmemorable for Bond. I am not even against him being cast, I'm just skeptical.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited November 2020 Posts: 7,518
    Ludovico wrote: »

Kili was most definitely NOT major character in The Hobbit. They tried to beef him up in the movies but I don't think it really worked (like many things in The Hobbit, sadly) and the character could have been played by anyone without any difference.
    And I will be indulgent as you're new here @Since62 , but you don't know me at all. I'm a big advocate of casting lesser known actors, not only for Bond, but for Bond girls, villains, the lot. My issue with Turner is not that he is less known, but that he might be a tad bland and unmemorable for Bond. I am not even against him being cast, I'm just skeptical.

I agree with you here @Ludovico, however I do believe the Bond Villain role is an interesting platform for more well known actors to flaunt their abilities and quirks within the franchise.

If anything, A. Turner's obscurity is something that I would put down as a reason to cast him as Bond.

I maintain that A. Turner has a youthful-ness to his look that doesn't suit Bond, and isn't something he'll lose with age. But that's just my opinion (that other members surely will chime in and tell me is wrong).