Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• edited June 2020 Posts: 4,400
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Teale does look quite Asian on some pictures, but not so much in others. Kind of like my brother in law actually, who does not have an inch of Asian blood. If he can act and has the right baritone voice, he might be suitable in a few years.
    Hmm interesting. Well he grew up in Putney, London, and he’s got Venezuelan, Spanish and Welsh origins. Also here’s an interview for his real voice.

And hahaha I forgot about Adrian Paul @sandbagger1 :D He always reminded me more of Segal lol

Not certain about his voice, a tad high for me, but then he is quite young still. He does look Asian or Mediterranean, at least sometimes. I would not be averse to an actor with mixed blood playing Bond, as long as he's British, looks the part and of course can act.

Nope...Sean Teale can't be Bond because he's too mediocre an actor. We just had Craig and Teale isn't even up the standard of Pierce Brosnan. He has zero name. i think post-Craig, they aren't after a huge star, but perhaps someone who does have a 'name.'

Remember, just because he wasn't Will Smith famous, Craig had a 'name.' He was a known quantity on the British indie scene and had played supporting roles in blockbusters and studio movies. He's essentially at the same point in his career as someone like Richard Madden.

EQ7Z0rFW4AEDvYA?format=jpg&name=large

I think Eon are going to go down the young Bond route....it be an interesting idea to see a 27 year-old Bond. Perhaps it could work. I think Chalamet is still such an interesting an edgy pick. If they want top tier filmmakers like Mendes and Fukunaga, then a name like Chalamet would guarantee excitement from that crowd.

He's the new Daniel Day-Lewis!!!

45d7b9ff32c5344f1a6f5c5e7bfcc49a.jpg

*Edit in light of @FatherValentine comment: Even getting Tommy Shelby vibes here...

maxresdefault.jpg

Anyone talking about Paul Mescal? He looks to be the breakout star of 2020. I've heard his name in tabloids in connection to Bond. Anyone seen Normal People? Doesn't look like my thing at all.

28699334-8347503-image-a-17_1590143153899.jpg
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Five years or so on I can see it.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited June 2020 Posts: 5,834
    The problem is @Pierce2Daniel, the next Daniel Day Lewis wouldn’t do James Bond...

...by that I mean that Chalamet is a particular kind of actor, and like I’ve said before he’s now part of a possible trilogy with Dune, so if Teale isn’t famous enough, then Chalamet is too famous, and not to mention, even with a good accent, he’s not British, so that might be a hurdle in and of itself.

Chalamet, to me, is more in line to be a villain.

Also Teale has the time to become more of the actor you mention, whereas Chalamet can only get bigger in the next few years - ruining his chances even more.

Also there’s a slew of worthy British actors waiting in the wings so I’ll be surprised if they ever do actually cast an American or someone of another nationality.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    For goodness sake @Pierce2Daniel, if you're going to suggest Chalamet, at least post pictures of him in The King, otherwise we'll be going round in circles again!
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    For goodness sake @Pierce2Daniel, if you're going to suggest Chalamet, at least post pictures of him in The King, otherwise we'll be going round in circles again!

LOL....This plea is almost Palpable.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited June 2020 Posts: 5,834
    Speaking of The King @FatherValentine, I do think Joel Edgerton would be a good Felix Leiter. Also if they cast a younger actor for 007, I think it’d be a new dynamic for the classic friendship.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

He’s still American though mate. Nothing can change that fact for me.
    I think Neill would've been a Brosnan-type Bond... an attempt to be a "greatest hits" mix of Connery and Moore. Some about his look and voice also remind me of Brozza. Not sure if he would've been as good at the pain face though.

A much smaller, less handsome version, with an odd accent maybe.
    GadgetMan wrote: »

Ha. You can sense my desperation.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Speaking of The King @FatherValentine, I do think Joel Edgerton would be a good Felix Leiter. Also if they cast a younger actor for 007, I think it’d be a new dynamic for the classic friendship.

Good call. I love Jeffrey Wright's interpretation (one of the few things about NTTD I'm looking forward to), but Edgerton would make a good choice for Leiter too.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    talos7 wrote: »
    Five years or so on I can see it.

Agreed.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    GadgetMan wrote: »

Ha. You can sense my desperation.

Yeah, Honestly....almost like it's the last wish a Genie granted you, so you don't want it wasted :D
    TFC1 wrote: »
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Too old now, but Ioan Gruffudd May have made a good Bond. Certainly worth a screen test.

I am pretty sure he was tested in 2005. One who should tick a lot of boxes but for some reason doesn't for me.

I can see what you mean to be fair. Lacks that special star quality.
    Apologies to all the people who posted the 720 previous posts to this one? Because that's way too many for me to read on a matter that is even more way off now. :))
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Apologies to all the people who posted the 720 previous posts to this one? Because that's way too many for me to read on a matter that is even more way off now. :))

Oh, trust me, not one post here is worth reading ;)
    Univex wrote: »
    RogueAgent wrote: »

Oh, trust me, not one post here is worth reading ;)

:))
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    My boys been nominated for a BAFTA :)
    Forgive me that I don't have time to read the entire thread history, but has Ed Westwick's name ever cropped up on here?

I haven't seen him in anything, so what would be the objections to him?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2020 Posts: 14,861

Anyone talking about Paul Mescal? He looks to be the breakout star of 2020. I've heard his name in tabloids in connection to Bond. Anyone seen Normal People? Doesn't look like my thing at all.

28699334-8347503-image-a-17_1590143153899.jpg

This one slipped by a bit without much comment; he has gone down very well in Normal People and seems the right type.

paul-mescal-isolation-t.jpg

The Irish Post has even tipped him for 007 of course:
    https://www.irishpost.com/news/irish-normal-people-star-paul-mescal-tipped-play-next-james-bond-184572
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I could be convinced @mtm after he does more things outside of Normal People :)
    Don't know him from anything, but he looks a bit dumb on these pictures.
    edited June 2020 Posts: 5,131
    Forgive me that I don't have time to read the entire thread history, but has Ed Westwick's name ever cropped up on here?

I haven't seen him in anything, so what would be the objections to him?

He’s cool and generally well dressed, but he’s too short. 5ft 8in.
  • Agent_OneAgent_One Ireland
    edited June 2020 Posts: 280
    As someone who's recently been forced to sit through the dross that is Normal People, Mescal was...alright. Thoroughly average except for a few moments. I could see him as a an Elvis-like incompetent henchman (not a fan of that type though).
    Agent_One wrote: »
    As someone who's recently been forced to sit through the dross that is Normal People, Mescal was...alright. Thoroughly average except for a few moments. I could see him as a an Elvis-like incompetent henchman (not a fan of that type though).

On the photos he looks like ‘an everyman’. Neither handsome nor ugly. Not a Bond.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 6,665
    e057d4e085393bba113987b417fd0ac0e0f36a9f.jpg

Of course the perfect Bond would've been:

4ddd905684317df45b1c5346a96e52e4a2654041.jpg
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited June 2020 Posts: 7,518
    @Univex YES to the Gandyman. Finally some sense in this thread. Thank you for posting that photo. :P
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    I wish gandy could act, but he is only a model....
    I like Theo James , suggested him a few times as well, decent actor.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 6,665
    I wish gandy could act...

Well, we'll never know, will we? ;)
    I like Theo James , suggested him a few times as well, decent actor.

Yeah, there's something there, isn't there? Good eyebrows and voice, maybe :) I think he could do a good job, and stay in it for the long run. And he's only 35.
    @Univex YES to the Gandyman. Finally some sense in this thread. Thank you for posting that photo. :P

Cheers. Gandy is Bond from the books, to a tee. Besides, we got a car salesman at one point. So...

original.gif
    ea138ce83231bb050100dcf35236f763.gif
    4dfcf2e31f968df52fc9646b4922c662.gif

All of that being said, I would rather see this man just being Bond for 2 hours, like if it was a bloody advert, than sitting through another semi sci-fi soap opera with brothers and exes and children and who knows what. Life just got a hell of a lot more complicated in the last months, and we, well I, want a more lighter affair again, a pure escapist adventure with a real icon as Bond. Who wants a pubescent boy with issues and a Mi6 team, when we could have the real adult affair stuff with the unapologetic flirting, violence and escapism? My opinion, of course.

Just watched the first episode of Gang of London...holy heck, what a great opening episode.

One thing jumped out from that episode and that's Sope Dirisu. This guy has charisma, sex appeal and serious talent. It's basically a 90 minute audition for James Bond. He has such swagger, confidence and athleticism. He's pretty damn amazing in the fight scenes as well - which, FYI, are pretty amazingly directed.

Looking over Dirisu's planned projects, it seems to me that his stock is severely rising. In fact, since Gangs of London premiered, he has been on a number of 'Next James Bond' lists online. If the show wasn't on Sky but the BBC, he'd be getting maximum exposure. Though it's probably too intense for Auntie.

I think we are getting to the point where someone like Dirisu is perfect. He's young enough to lead the franchise for the next 10 years or so - plus, he's a hot commodity who is more than capable of doing the job.

dunhill-dylan-jones-baftas-filmmakers-dinner-party-london-uk-shutterstock-editorial-10542931bd.jpg
    Gangs-of-London-Elliot-actor-2428688.jpg?r=1589783675394
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Like Idris Elba, how about casting as an original character who is a globe hoping, womanizing, suave spy; there’s no need to co-opt an established character with what would be essentially stunt casting.