Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• edited April 2020 Posts: 14,816
    Shardlake wrote: »
    He as good as an actor if not better than Turner and has form in a very good Le Carresque Spy drama.

That will be The Game, which unfortunately only ran for one series. Among the cast was Paul Ritter (Guy Haines in QoS), and Rachael Stirling (Diana Rigg's daughter).

Boy he worked with the right people. Bit of a shame Rachael Stirling was never a Bond girl by the way.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 4,400
    I recall sentiment changing towards Jack O'Connell recently. I hope he has a big wave to his career again. It felt in 2014 that he was destined to be an acting tour-de-force. However, he has petered out recently and been stuck in a string of unremarkable indies that came and went.

I think he has an 'edge' to him. However, I don't know if he is exciting enough for Eon. Perhaps his new BBC show will help his chances. After all, all English actors on the BBC seems to get rumoured as the next Bond.

Though, currently I'm siding more and more with Richard Madden. I recently saw the picture below (ignore the other guy) and instantly saw Bond. I'm planning on watching Bodyguard in isolation soon so let's see.....

James-Bond-Sam-Heughan-DESTROYS-Richard-Madden-s-chances-in-race-for-role-here-s-why-1262527.jpg?r=1585615487582
    Ludovico wrote: »
    He as good as an actor if not better than Turner and has form in a very good Le Carresque Spy drama.

That will be The Game, which unfortunately only ran for one series. Among the cast was Paul Ritter (Guy Haines in QoS), and Rachael Stirling (Diana Rigg's daughter).

Boy he worked with the right people. Bit of a shame Rachael Stirling was never a Bond girl by the way.

He also starred in a film with Judi Dench, but I don't think they shared screen time.

Yes, Rachael Stirling could have been a good Bond girl!
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Ludovico wrote: »

He also starred in a film with Judi Dench, but I don't think they shared screen time.

Yes, Rachael Stirling could have been a good Bond girl!

Ffs. Jack O Connell is 5ft 8in tall. He is vertically challenged and far too short to be Bond.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Nico Mirallegro? 29 years old from Manchester. A good actor from the stuff I've seen him in, and has a bit of Marlon Brando about him. He's 5"10.

NINTCHDBPICT000571315711-1.jpg
    Nico99133%201.jpg?itok=eBBACG7-
    1118full-nico-mirallegro.jpg
    12268386-low_res-rillington-place.jpg?quality=90&strip=all
    12269173-low_res-rillington-place.jpg?quality=80&strip=all
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 9,767
    If people think cillian Murphy’s is to feminine as well as Hiddleston (he slept with Taylor Swift who in spite of being annoying is drop dead gorgeous) I have no idea what the community will make of your suggestion...

I still maintain if they could you know to and do films back to back starting in 2022 Fassbender could easily do a trilogy.

And as I stated multiple times Fleming always added a sentence here or there that a real script writer could turn into a film all on its own.

My favorite one of these sentence, and to prove my point, is in the Hildebrand rarity Fleming says that Bond is there to see if a base for the Royal Navy could be built there or not... well an actual script writer could take that sentence and go ok well why is he sent there is there civil unrest? Is there perhaps a man who is anti England that bond has to deal with etc... asking and answering those questions could surely give you a 2 hour film
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Aidan Turner has been connected to the role of Bond for so long now that it would be almost strange for him not to atleast get a screen test. I think the ladies man has to return, and I think also the humour has been absent, they need someone who can pull off the one liners. It requires someone to not take themselves too seriously and Moore and Brosnan were both very much game for a laugh, and very self-effacing. Based in interviews he has done in press, Turner fits the bill. The traditional leading man qaulities for all accounted for with Turner, and hes the only guy that I see that really has the full package and can offer something to the role that we don't see anymore. They need to be able to transition away from the hardboiled, don to earth approach, and let a bit of mischeif back into the formula, but still maintain an aura around the man himself, an no one can deny Turber his dark presence and penetrating stare. I believe his Bond is deadly as much as he is cunning.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 108
    34 year old, 6ft 2in, Scottish actor Stuart Martin. He's currently starring on British tv in Miss Scarlet and The Duke and all good Hugh Jackman lookalike contests. Can't say much about his acting as he's been in a string of tv shows I haven't seen, but he immediately stood out for me as at least having the physicality and manliness that some candidates lack.

Towering over Richard Madden -

e766b3eac24a267540c99aeda66edf9f.gif

328f6a0623cd690db8a614845fe23044.gif

d0vc7e3pbuvptbcadkpb.jpg

MV5BNGQ5NzA2MDUtZTM1OS00M2I4LWE4OTQtYWM1MGFmMTIwMjJjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQwMDg0Ng@@._V1_.jpg
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Aidan Turner has been connected to the role of Bond for so long now that it would be almost strange for him not to atleast get a screen test. I think the ladies man has to return, and I think also the humour has been absent, they need someone who can pull off the one liners. It requires someone to not take themselves too seriously and Moore and Brosnan were both very much game for a laugh, and very self-effacing. Based in interviews he has done in press, Turner fits the bill. The traditional leading man qaulities for all accounted for with Turner, and hes the only guy that I see that really has the full package and can offer something to the role that we don't see anymore. They need to be able to transition away from the hardboiled, don to earth approach, and let a bit of mischeif back into the formula, but still maintain an aura around the man himself, an no one can deny Turber his dark presence and penetrating stare. I believe his Bond is deadly as much as he is cunning.

The same could be said of Clive Owen. He was a tabloid favourite for CR, but as far as I recall didn't test for the role.
    It all depends what direction EON and co want to go with for the next actor. And even if Turner does test, on the day things can happen. Another candidate may stand out stronger, or in the case of Lewis Collins, who made an seemingly innocent comment to Cubby, that completely ruined his chances of landing the role can also occur.
    Turner may have a good chance on paper. But reality can be very, very different.
    34 year old, 6ft 2in, Scottish actor Stuart Martin. He's currently starring on British tv in Miss Scarlet and The Duke and all good Hugh Jackman lookalike contests. Can't say much about his acting as he's been in a string of tv shows I haven't seen, but he immediately stood out for me as at least having the physicality and manliness that some candidates lack.

d0vc7e3pbuvptbcadkpb.jpg

MV5BNGQ5NzA2MDUtZTM1OS00M2I4LWE4OTQtYWM1MGFmMTIwMjJjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQwMDg0Ng@@._V1_.jpg

I can't say I've ever heard of him @Bond_Bombshell but I can see why you would nominate Mr.Martin.
    Certainly has something of a Bondian look. I'll have too check out his acting credentials.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    He does looks like younger Hugh Jackman
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited April 2020 Posts: 1,318
    He does looks like younger Hugh Jackman

Infused with some Gregory Sporleder

MV5BMTM4MDQyMzk0MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjg3NzkxOA@@._V1_.jpg
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Yeah, he’s another one of these actors who needs a beard to look his best; that doesn’t bode well for a potential Bond. The difference in how he looks is significant.
    talos7 wrote: »
    Yeah, he’s another one of these actors who needs a beard to look his best; that doesn’t bode well for a potential Bond. The difference in how he looks is significant.

Agree. He's a handsome chap, but looks much better with a great big bushy beard ;)
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

Agree. He's a handsome chap, but looks much better with a great big bushy beard ;)

The same could be said of Aiden Turner, who appears mostly with a heavy five o'clock shadow or facial hair.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Nico Mirallegro? 29 years old from Manchester. A good actor from the stuff I've seen him in, and has a bit of Marlon Brando about him. He's 5"10.

Anyone have any thoughts?
    Benny wrote: »

The same could be said of Aiden Turner, who appears mostly with a heavy five o'clock shadow or facial hair.

Of course, as with many things, this is subjective; while Turner frequently sports a beard, he has a good jawline. Some actors, like martin need it to compensate for a weak one.

Of course, as with many things, this is subjective; while Turner frequently sports a beard, he has a good jawline. Some actors, like martin need it to compensate for a weak one.

Yep. Better without a beard, actually.

NINTCHDBPICT000467452333.jpg
    fc2da1c86a1f2a7ef881980de7d79d5d.jpg
    Aidan-Turner-thumbnail.jpg?auto=compress,format&fit=crop&w=1200&h=630

d0vc7e3pbuvptbcadkpb.jpg

I would go with him
    Univex wrote: »

And the thing is, he is getting better and better as he ages. I think like Brosnan, Turner has a very youthful face for his age. By the time he is 40 he will be perfect.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Anyone have any thoughts?

Yes, negative ones.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 6,677

And the thing is, he is getting better and better as he ages. I think like Brosnan, Turner has a very youthful face for his age. By the time he is 40 he will be perfect.

Doesn't matter, Bond26 will only come in ten years time. By then he'll be close to 50. The next Bond is probably in his 20s now.
    edited April 2020 Posts: 8,077
    Turner has time on his side, hes only 36 currently. And like I said he is fresh-faced like Brosnan. Brosnan could have easily come back for CR in '05, it wasn't a matter of being too old or anything.

Lets say Bond 26 is November 2024. Turner is only 41, about the same as Brozzer and Dalton were when they came on the scene. That is good timing as far as I'm concerned.

Doesn't matter, Bond26 will only come in ten years time. By then he'll be close to 50. The next Bond is probably in his 20s now.

I actually think that there will be a desire to get a new film, with a new Bond out with out a very prolonged gap; 10 years is a bit long to leave this franchise dormant. I'm predicting 4 or 5 years.

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Oh yes the current producers will want to reestablish their Bond franchise after this event and pretty soon after the release of BOND 25, definitely agree @talos7.
    It'll be November 2024, I'm confident.
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    edited April 2020 Posts: 524

I actually think that there will be a desire to get a new film, with a new Bond out with out a very prolonged gap; 10 years is a bit long to leave this franchise dormant. I'm predicting 4 or 5 years.

If you look at which of their films make the most money, I'd bet MGM would like a Bond film every other year. Of course that's unrealistic nowadays, with MGM needing to find other studios to distribute, with EON taking their time to develop a script and finding a director. And this time, it'll be even longer because they need to find a new actor in the part of 007. Some very important questions need answers: in which direction will the series go? Do they start a new continuity or keep going from the Craig continuity onward? Do they recast other roles like M, Moneypenny, Q, Felix or Blofeld? Will the next film be more comedic or more serious or a mixture of the two? If a new actor is cast, will they commit to having a story arc for all of his films or do they become stand-alone again with minimal continuity in between adventures?

All these questions and their answers will also influence the choice of who will play Bond: if Universal keeps doing the international distribution, will they have a say in who plays the part? If EON wants to set out a multi-film arc, how many films is each actor willing to sign up for? Does the chosen actor want influence in how he shapes his character? Will he get that as much as Craig got?

At the same time, I'm coming back to MGM. If their studio structure stays what it is now (meaning they don't sell the studio or their 50% in Bond), they simply can't afford for new Bond film to take 10 years in development. Or 6. Or maybe even 5. The delays for NTTD already cost them more than they had envisioned, so they'll want that Bond train moving fast.

I agree: a 4 to 5 year gap in between NTTD and Bond 26 seems feasible. Maybe they can make it 3 when MGM feels the pressure to make profit and EON feels pressure from MGM to finish their creative processes faster. But a Bond film in 2022 for the 60th anniversary is simply too good to be true.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    I've never hear of Stuart Martin (in fact I had to skip back a page to check I'd remembered his name correctly) but that is a bloody good shout. He certainly looks the part.
    I think in these current times? With the current film completed, whilst we await a safe future time for the release of NTTD? Why not start getting writers and ideas for the next incarnation of the James Bond movies?!!!!
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    I think in these current times? With the current film completed, whilst we await a safe future time for the release of NTTD? Why not start getting writers and ideas for the next incarnation of the James Bond movies?!!!!

While their public posture may be that they have given it no thought, a film or a new actor, I would wager that some groundwork is being laid.

RogueAgent wrote: »

Indeed, this is what I've mentioned as well in this thread. It's a choice to lean back and count the money, instead of being and driven and passionate about the next project. Cubby would 've slapped a couple of people silly for allowing these huge gaps in between films.
    Bond deserves all the passion and desire to create the next great film. We need a new and fresh chapter, yet in a classical type of way. Back to where it once began, I'd say.