STAR WARS: The Machete Order (an inspired new way to watch the Original Trilogy and Prequels)

edited February 2012 in General Movies & TV Posts: 4,813
Sorry for the long quote, but it's way worth the read! In a nutshell, this guy suggests you watch Star Wars in this order: 4, 5, 2, 3, & 6. It totally ignores 1 (I like it already). He explains why beautifully, but basically you get two movies about Luke, ending with a HUGE cliffhanger, then two movies about Anakin, then one movie to wrap it all up. Almost as if the huge cliffhanger in ESB is made more poignant by a LONG flashback.

Here's why I think this order is full of WIN:

*No Jar Jar
*No 'baby' Anakin
*No 'midi-BS'
*Vader surprise isn't ruined
*Yoda surprise isn't ruined
*When you finally do watch Return of the Jedi, it's after a long break where we've seen what happened to Anakin-- and Luke's apparent road towards the Dark Side has much more weight (wears all black, force choke, etc)
*No Jar Jar

Anyway, here's the article. If you're anything like me, and used to be a big Star Wars fan, only to have it ruined by the prequels, then you should absolutely give this a read. I had all but forgotten my love for the series but after reading this I'm actually pretty anxious to have a marathon in this order!

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2012/02/machete-order-star-wars/

Comments

This sounds interesting. I never was very bothered by Jar Jar or the Anakin kid, I just couldn't stand all this Phantom Menace-tweedledeedum.

Now I just have to forget about Vader and Joda and everything's going to be just fine.
    Nope wrong, you watch episode 4, 5 & 6.

Too bad GL never had the time to make the first three episodes.
    It just occurs to me that I haven't bothered to see the so-called episode 3. Probably catch it on the telly some day. Or I'll just stick to Star Wars. And be glad that GL never did anything else...
    Sounds like someone or the other still has his VHS tapes ;-) .

Me being not much of a SW enthusiast, I just might one day watch 4,5,2,3,6, sounds promising and logical.
  • I never talk about Star Wars on this board so nobody would know this about me: I used to live and breathe Star Wars.... until the Prequel Trilogy came out one by one and each (in my opinion) sucked more then the last one. I vividly remember 2005 when posters for Revenge of the Sith started showing up-- and I completely didn't even give a damn by that point.
    I still saw it, but that was that.
    Since then I had not seen one single episode of 'The Clone Wars' and didn't even bat an eye when the Clone War movie was released in theatres. Even my fondness for the original trilogy had dwindled- I probably haven't watched one of those for YEARS

So to read this article and have my interest renewed like that is a big deal for me! I just have this warm nostalgic feeling waving over me. Anyone else?
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 63
    For people my age it's difficult to find anything in SW that surpasses the excitement they felt when The Empire Strikes Back hit theatres. To me still one of the best films period.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    SaintMark wrote:

So, you went to sleep on December 31, 1998 and woke up on January 1, 2006?
    SaintMark wrote:

So, you went to sleep on December 31, 1998 and woke up on January 1, 2006?

Nope just a matter of selective erasing of certain memories.

My problem is that my daughter wants to go to episode one in 3D because she really likes all movies. So as a father I am afraid I will have to give in. Although we are currently in negotiation about John Carter 3D or SW 3D.

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Agreeing with Sam.

Locked.
This discussion has been closed.