The Dead Are Alive (fanedit of Spectre)

edited October 2016 in Fan Creations Posts: 676
I make no bones about the fact that I didn't care much for Spectre. I don't think there's any other Bond film where my enjoyment was so high at the start and then so low when the end credits rolled.

So as a faneditor of films and TV, I wanted to take what I enjoyed in Spectre (Mexico City, Lucia Sciarra, a handful of other scenes) and create a new James Bond short called The Dead Are Alive.

The short also includes a custom gun barrel sequence, new music, and colour correction to remove the film's sickly yellow tint. It's approx. 20 min. long and can be viewed below. I recommend watching in HD for best quality. If you want to see a higher quality version, just PM me.

(Note: my username on Fanedit.org is "Problem Eliminator," which is why I call myself that in the opening credits.)

Comments

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    That was great, @Milovy. Everything worked exceptionally well. I'm an avid Spectre fan, but I certainly appreciate your take on things.
    am i missing something ?
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 676
    jake24 wrote: »
    That was great, @Milovy. Everything worked exceptionally well. I'm an avid Spectre fan, but I certainly appreciate your take on things.
    Thanks a lot @jake24!
    barryt007 wrote: »
    am i missing something ?
    Maybe? If you've never heard of fanedits before, this is how Wikipedia describes them: "A fan edit is a version of a film modified by a viewer, that removes, reorders, or adds material in order to create a new interpretation of the source material."
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    am i missing something ?
    Milovy wrote: »
    am i missing something ?
    Maybe? If you've never heard of fanedits before, this is how Wikipedia describes them: "A fan edit is a version of a film modified by a viewer, that removes, reorders, or adds material in order to create a new interpretation of the sou

The video doesn't show up on my iphone. I'm guessing that was @barryt007 's issue too. Works on my laptop though.

• AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    edited October 2016 Posts: 2,630
    Really nice @Milovy! Is there any chance you can send me the video file of an isolated verson of the gunbarrel blood drip? Thanks!
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Can you tell me how you went about this? I have a fan edit myself completed.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Great stuff, @Milovy! Your custom gun barrel is dashing, as is how you played with the bleeding effect. I also like how you selected your edits carefully to make a mini film dealing just with a story between Bond, Lucia and Marco.

Moreover, your beautiful color correction makes me wish I had an edit of SP like this in its entirety that didn't carry the prominent yellow overlay.

Stellar stuff, all around!
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    This is really great, I love the episodic nature of it. It feel almost as an short story, as penned by Fleming. One of these small peculiarities in the world of Bond!

I also dig the cold, spectral feeling that you enhance from the film. That is a feeling that I personally think penetrates all the film in a very gothic kind of way and you really tapped into that.

I do not find the yellow-filter as distracting as many other do, but you have really showed how much better the film would look without it. I felt as I could really enjoy the frames more and pick up some interesting mise-en-scene that otherwise gets lost.
    The video doesn't show up on my iphone. I'm guessing that was @barryt007 's issue too. Works on my laptop though.
    Ah, I see!

@dominicgreene Sent you a PM.

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Thanks for your comments! Maybe some day someone will do an edit of Spectre that just removes the yellow tint.

@MrBond I'm glad to hear the short worked so well for you. I was trying to evoke Fleming in the opening by paraphrasing the original subtitle of For Your Eyes Only ("Five Secret Occasions in the Life of James Bond").

Here is a curiosity, if anyone is interested - a side-by-side comparison of the original gun barrel and the one I created. Both are properly synced to the music. Notice that Bond no longer swings his gun arm back and forth in the new gun barrel!

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited February 2017 Posts: 10,586
    Watched this again, @Milovy. Truly exceptional! It almost works as a Bond "short" if you will.
    Thanks again, @jake24. It was my intention for the edit to stand alone as a "short" - so I'm glad to read your comment.

I wonder if any other Bond films could have little "shorts" extracted from them. I have played around with ideas for OP, TND and SF, but none of them quite worked. I think Spectre lends itself to this treatment because the story feels like a bunch of random ideas sewn together... IMO, anyways.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Bit of a random question, but are there any full fanedits of the entire movie out there which feature a more trad gunbarrel (as here) with the Radiohead song and perhaps some colour correction?