MI6 Chief reveals that the real Q is a woman

It looks as though Q may be out of a job:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/26/mi6-head-real-life-q-woman/

I kinda like the idea of a female Q.

We've had some interesting takes on the Q character over the years. Desmond always played him as the overworked bureaucrat who had no time for Bond's callous way. John Cleese pretty much did the same with a little more buffoonery. Ben's take is a little more interesting as now we have a Q who has caught up with the times -a cocky Zuckerberg-esque computer whizz who has little regard for Bond's old school approach (though in Spectre, Q was a little subservient to Bond).

So who could play the female Q?

article-1232898-072BDE14000005DC-567_224x423.jpg

Keira would be great - though I suspect Ben will be playing the part for years to come. He's the new MVP of the series.

Comments

Didn't John Gardener have a female Q in his Bond novels?
    Yep.....Q'ute....
    "….a woman?"
    Your powers of observation do you credit @vzok ;)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    vzok wrote: »
    "….a woman?"

Beat me to it!
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    As is so often the case these days the best man for the job is a woman .
  • Keira would make a delightful Q'ute. She could totally pull off the whole "hot chick buried under nerdy clothes and glasses" get-up. But more than that, I could see her playing either calm-and-cool-and-down-to-business or flustered-by-Bond's-flirtations well. Doesn't really matter as I seriously doubt she would do it, but she would be great for the part.

I forget exactly how Gardner played it—I'll have to reread his books some time soon—but weren't Bond's interactions with Q'ute played a bit similar to him with film Moneypenny?
    I hope you dont snore Qute !.
    Sorry I couldn't resist .
    Keira Knightly is waaaaaaay too famous...but a female Q,why not ?..but i would go for an older woman who can have a good banter with Bond ,rather than being a good looking Q'ute character.
    Maybe they could give the job to Kara !!!....
  • RC7RC7
    Female Q would be fine. Don't see a problem. Only issue would be the inevitable feminist hijacking of it.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I'd prefer of we left Q and Moneypenny to their respective genders. Judi's M was an exception because, well, it's Judi frickin' Dench.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    So John Gardner was right all along! ;)
    JOhn Gardner was a brilliant Bond author...
    barryt007 wrote: »

Thank you. I have to agree! :D
    Dragonpol wrote: »

I loved his books,it was really like 'Bond is back'...i just didnt like 'Scatterclaw' is that the one ? the one with the red Indian ?

Now,Icebreaker,Scorpious ,Nobody Lives Forever etc...they need to be made into Bond films..or at least the material used...it is still Fleming's Bond ,just added material by Gardener....
    Dragonpol wrote: »

I loved his books,it was really like 'Bond is back'...i just didnt like 'Scatterclaw' is that the one ? the one with the red Indian ?

Now,Icebreaker,Scorpious ,Nobody Lives Forever etc...they need to be made into Bond films..or at least the material used...it is still Fleming's Bond ,just added material by Gardener....

It's Brokenclaw (1990). Glad you're a fan. My username comes from Gardner.
    Brokenclaw ,of course...i still have the books and i think they dont get the credit they deserve ,and neither does John Gardener...i actually was in contact with his family after he died,i think they saw something i said on twitter ,i cant remember,and i gave them a few words about him for his funeral,about how Bond fans appreciate his work...maybe it was on here,i dont know,but there is a Gardener thread on here,i really cant remember !!!!
    Brokenclaw ,of course...i still have the books and i think they dont get the credit they deserve ,and neither does John Gardener...i actually was in contact with his family after he died,i think they saw something i said on twitter ,i cant remember,and i gave them a few words about him for his funeral,about how Bond fans appreciate his work...maybe it was on here,i dont know,but there is a Gardener thread on here,i really cant remember !!!!

Nice. Yes, there is a general John Gardner Bond thread on here. I was lucky enough to correspond by email with Mr Gardner in his later years and am still in touch with his son Simon.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited January 2017 Posts: 4,415
    There always can be more quatermasters.

From my Bondgirl wishlist:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTd017p5BxPjgSBuuzLsZfXHoB178Q8m1vLj9oMGtfWppQWPa7rXA
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSr6tRIGy0nGIa0K2fZreU28mLK3fSUcGxgmeM3RUPkwWvHgbfm
    Natacha Régnier http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0753696/

But even Felicity Jones can considered.