How Bond author Ian Fleming 'copied 007 character from female writer

SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
in News Posts: 2,138
Blasphemy!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3988034/The-s-Bottome-Phyliss-Bottome-Bond-author-Ian-Fleming-copied-007-character-female-writer-mentor.html

comedian Miles Jupp, who presents the Radio 4 programme The Woman Who Invented James Bond?, said ‘the spy writer Nigel West describes the relationship between the two novelists as “thief and victim”.

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    They'll print anything these days. ;)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    "A woman!"

tumblr_n7i7bduW261sh1z9to1_400.gif
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    A well used trick to get free advertising in the national newspapers.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I have bought a few books by this author in the past knowing of the Fleming connection. I will now track down this particular novel of hers. I can't comment on the veracity or otherwise of this story but I personally doubt Fleming stole anything from her, though she was an undoubted influence on his starting a literary career.
    007InVT wrote: »

Great read. The inspiration in part for CR's ending revealed.
    Indeed a great read. Very thanks for putting the false claims and inclinations about Phyllis Bottome "creating" Bond. The article very well skirts the issue.
  • Did anyone see the episode of the E4 series Timeless, in which the characters ran into Ian Fleming working as a spy in Nazi Germany. They gave him some titles for his books and when they returned to the present they found out that there was an extra Connery bond film made which was called Weapon of Choice. It's pretty silly but a lot of fun.
    loughrey2 wrote: »
    Did anyone see the episode of the E4 series Timeless, in which the characters ran into Ian Fleming working as a spy in Nazi Germany. They gave him some titles for his books and when they returned to the present they found out that there was an extra Connery bond film made which was called Weapon of Choice. It's pretty silly but a lot of fun.
    Indeed. There's a thread for that here too.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Did anyone see the episode of the E4 series Timeless, in which the characters ran into Ian Fleming working as a spy in Nazi Germany. They gave him some titles for his books and when they returned to the present they found out that there was an extra Connery bond film made which was called Weapon of Choice. It's pretty silly but a lot of fun.

Are you an idiot? There is a spoiler tag for stuff like that.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    They'll print anything these days. ;)

Ha ha. Brilliant.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    No one liked this Mark Chalmers or her writing it seems....so tough. Fleming made it big and she didn't. The press are clutching at straws as per usual.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited January 2017 Posts: 3,157

Finally watched the episode, and no, you're totally wrong. Only two Bond movie titles get referenced, and neither of them were ever even used by Fleming as novel titles.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 1,637
    Something I've noticed :

Poirot = Batman
    Hastings = Robin
    chief inspector Japp = commish Gordon
    ms Lemon = Moneypenny
    Well, if Fleming got his idea for Bond from a female author, he got it from Dame Agatha Christie herself. Everybody knows that.
    Gerard wrote: »
    Well, if Fleming got his idea for Bond from a female author, he got it from Dame Agatha Christie herself. Everybody knows that.

Yes, and she even named the character for him!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Although a somewhat different character to Fleming's creation.
    "The Rajah's Emerald"
    Although a somewhat different character to Fleming's creation.
    "The Rajah's Emerald"

Indeed, she just had the name. Could just as well be coincidence. Most likely is, given the Birds of the West Indies story Fleming always told.