Sherlock (2010) BBC Series Discussion Thread

edited January 2012 in General Movies & TV Posts: 584
I haven't seen this one on the forum and I'm frankly quite surprised at this. I think both Benedict and Martin are playing Holmes and Watson very intriguing and refreshing. Moriarty was also surprising, but I think it's a welcome change to the standard old, evil, scheming villain. Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffatt should stick to this more often than Doctor Who, IMO - their stories are fantastic and I have to give them credit for transitioning the whole series into the Modern World. Can you also believe David Arnold composed for this? I was genuinely surprised. Hope the series doesn't end by tomorrow!

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Oh how joyed I am to see this thread! My friend(a fellow Sherlock fanatic)got me to hang out and watch the pilot, and I was so blown away. The modern transition, though sounding like a travesty at first, is acting transferred brilliantly. I love Benedict. He is now in the second spot for "best Sherlock", behind the unsurpassable Jeremy Brett of course. The show stays true to the character, and the winks to the Doyle short stories are great fan service. Once I saw the pilot I got excited for the other two episodes. The second episode was by far the Bronze, due to the fact of a thrilling pilot and the third containing Moriarty, the first series is solid. I don't like this Moriarty more than the Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows Jared Harris Moriarty though. Moriarty only orders his men to kill Sherlock in the stories after Sherlock was getting nosy and halting his plots. In Sherlock(BBC), Moriarty openly challenges Sherlock, and is direct. He WANTS Sherlock to try and stop him. But, like my friend said, this Moriarty is "bored" like Sherlock is. It makes sense with their interpretation, and though the crazy shouts and high pitch jeers are strange coming from Moriarty, I won't judge anything until I see more. The cliffhanger is a WTF moment, but keeps me wanting more. Onwards to the modern transitions of "A Scandal in Bohemia", "The Hound of The Baskervilles", and "The Final Problem". I have loved the show so far, and can't wait to see what comes next!
  • You'll love "A Scandal of Bohemia"! Very good and even a little bit unexpected IMO, but be prepared to be underwhelmed at times.

And "The Hound of Baskervilles" stays very true to its novel - again, a very brilliant piece of work.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2012 Posts: 28,694
    You'll love "A Scandal of Bohemia"! Very good and even a little bit unexpected IMO, but be prepared to be underwhelmed at times.

And "The Hound of Baskervilles" stays very true to its novel - again, a very brilliant piece of work.

I assume they are out in Britain now. I'm a Yankee, so we have to wait a bit before we see them over here.

EDIT: The first two episodes of the second series are up and I am able to watch. I'll have to make a project of it. <:-P <:-P <:-P
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 584
    You'll love "A Scandal of Bohemia"! Very good and even a little bit unexpected IMO, but be prepared to be underwhelmed at times.

I assume they are out in Britain now. I'm a Yankee, so we have to wait a bit before we see them over here.

Ironically, I too, am a Yankee haha. I guess we both have to wait awhile for the finale huh?
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 886
    Great series, both Martin and Benedict really nail both characters for this interpretation. Also brilliant way to introduce the younger generation to Holmes and Watson as they do stay quite true to the stories. Brilliant how they explain the deducive process.
    I have to wait a year or two if series 1 is anything to go by :((
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Looking forward to tonight!

Can the title be changed to 2010, that's when the series began.
    My favourite drama series/s ever, just love the pacing of them...!! :D
    I can't wait to watch them. I hate what they did with releasing them though. They do a fantastic job at filming all the pieces, and then just release all of them three days in a row, with no breaks in between, no chances for us fans to "want more". Then we watch them fast before spoilers break, and think, "that was it?". "We have to how long until another series? Oh bother..."
    edited January 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Three days? Maybe in the USA, but in the UK it's one episode per week. Series 2 has been aired on 1st January (so massive for New Year's Day), 8th January and the 15th, today.

A Study in Pink - 25 July 2010
    The Blind Banker - 1 August 2010
    The Great Game - 8 August 2010
    A Scandal in Belgravia - 1 January 2012
    The Hounds of Baskerville - 8 January 2012
    The Reichenbach Fall - 15 January 2012
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Three days? Maybe in the USA, but in the UK it's one episode per week. Series 2 has been aired on 1st January (so massive for New Year's Day), 8th January and the 15th, today.

All the episodes released in the US to be watched three days in a row. Even a week apart each, it still seems too little a break. I hope the series gets more episodes next series, whenever that comes.
    Samuel001 wrote:

All the episodes released in the US to be watched three days in a row. Even a week apart each, it still seems too little a break. I hope the series gets more episodes next series, whenever that comes.

If it's one series of three episodes per 18 months an episode every 6 months seems like a much better idea, more of an event that way.

I doubt there will be more episodes are they take such a long time to do. Plus Moffat and many involved also run Doctor Who, so filming can't overlap.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

If it's one series of three episodes per 18 months an episode every 6 months seems like a much better idea, more of an event that way.

I doubt there will be more episodes are they take such a long time to do. Plus Moffat and many involved also run Doctor Who, so filming can't overlap.

There's interest in a third, highly invested. If my Sherlock-sense proves me right, the second series is going to end with quite the cliffhanger(no pun intended) at the Reichenbach.
  • Samuel001 wrote:
    Looking forward to tonight!

Can the title be changed to 2010, that's when the series began.

Done.

i too am a fan of Holmes and Watson! Really enjoying this modern take on Conan Doyle's creation. The witt and banter between Cumberbatch and Freeman is great. Funnily enough i am settling down right now to watch the final episode which is on in 45 mins! :D
    RogueAgent wrote:
    i too am a fan of Holmes and Watson! Really enjoying this modern take on Conan Doyle's creation. The witt and banter between Cumberbatch and Freeman is great. Funnily enough i am settling down right now to watch the final episode which is on in 45 mins! :D

I have some catching up to do. I'm going to watch "A Scandal in Belgravia" soon, then "The Hound of The Baskervilles", preparing myself for the inevitable cliffhanger for the series-ender "The Reichenbach Falls".
  • RC7RC7
    RogueAgent wrote:

Ditto. Filling in with AVTAK until it begins.

RogueAgent wrote:

I have some catching up to do. I'm going to watch "A Scandal in Belgravia" soon, then "The Hound of The Baskervilles", preparing myself for the inevitable cliffhanger for the series-ender "The Reichenbach Falls".

I personally think you are in for a treat as i enjoyed the twists in both episodes. Will be interesting to see what happens later? Will not say anything obviously as i would not wanna spoil it for anyone!
    RC7 wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

Ditto. Filling in with AVTAK until it begins.

Good idea! Should have done the same! :-bd
    RogueAgent wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

I personally think you are in for a treat as i enjoyed the twists in both episodes. Will be interesting to see what happens later? Will not say anything obviously as i would not wanna spoil it for anyone!

Every Sherlock fan knows how it ends. Place your bets that series 3 starts with an adaption of "The Empty House". I'd prefer they didn't waste Moriarty so quick though.
    RogueAgent wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

Every Sherlock fan knows how it ends. Place your bets that series 3 starts with an adaption of "The Empty House". I'd prefer they didn't waste Moriarty so quick though.

oh i agree, but whose to say they will not have their own take on how to deal with Moriarty? i love this new one! The entire cast have been fantastic! I do hope they get an agreement soon to make more? I hear that Hollywood want to see more of Cumberbatch! And with Freeman appearing in the Hobbit movies? Will we get the opportunity to see them do more?
    They're do more, without a doubt. It just may be another 18 month wait. So Summer 2013.
    hope so! its just a shame it has to be such a long wait!
    It's worth it. That's all that matters.

Twenty minutes. So you on the other side.
  • I have a last minute stream if anyone needs it.
    RogueAgent wrote:
    hope so! its just a shame it has to be such a long wait!

And for only three episodes over three weeks. Like Christmas, it comes quick, then passes, and the magic is gone again... :(
    Enjoyed the first series right until the final five minutes. Moriarty is a travesty, there is no other word for it and I cannot bring myself to watch the three new episodes knowing that a show would inflict such a Moriarty on the viewing public.
  • Just saw the final episode.

Wow. Just wow. But seriously, they have to explain
    How the Hell he survived that fall
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 298
    Shelock was, as always, effing brilliant.
    Shame about the end though, I honestly thought he was gonna pop out the ground when John said "Please don't be dead"
    final episode was excellent! Can't say no more as do not want to ruin it for people who have not seen it yet?